Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-04-2005, 03:28 AM   #1
Azn_Baller101

Azn_Baller101 is on a distinguished road
Default Dallas vs. Los Angeles Game Day Thread

everyone is worried about dirk's prime year of the moment. but how about fin? i kno he's passed his prime but how much longer does anyone here think he'll still be considered "above-average"? don't you think we should trade him while his value is still somewhat high? i kno he's part of the heart and soul of this team and he's been through the best and worst years with the mavs. but where does it leave us when his contract still lingers and he's washed up?
Azn_Baller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2005, 03:42 AM   #2
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE: How long will fin last?

You can't trade away a veteran leader like Finley....you just won't get the same return, even if the player is better. He brings too much to the Mavs to just trade away.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:23 AM   #3
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of
Default RE:How long will fin last?

I don't really know how I would decide as the GM, because he just really is the heart and soul of this team.

Let's look at the way he plays this season, when he isn't injured...

With him we are 11-4 overall and 6-2 at home.

His stats: in 35.7 minutes he scores 17.7 points, dishes out 2.8 assists, and gets 4.6 rebounds and 1.04 steals. He's shooting .431 from the field and .387 from downtown.

I think if he stays healthy, those stats make him a very good contributer. And I prefer them to Jerry Stackhouse's .387 from the field and .245 from beyond the arc at any time...

So as a player we obviously don't have to trade him...

Know the contract situation: he has a contract for this season and the three seasons following this one. In this time he will earn roughly 64 millions. But he has a player option for the last two years... I don't know him as a person, but he might consider getting a cheaper four season extension instead of his two year 35 million player option... But I really don't know him.

So if you see that he's getting 64 milllions for four years, you just have to say, that he is one of the most overpaid players in the nba. There's no way around it.

But if I look at him as a player, I don't think that he will get much worse than nowadays. You just have to look at his stats from the last three season, his stats didn't drop much, he is still a very effective player and has adjusted to Nellie's coaching style, and become more of a shooter.

Nevertheless it would be a good descission to trade him in terms of our future as a franchise, but it would be bad for our team right now and in the next season and I wouldn't give us much chances for the title this year, if he was to be traded. And I do see us as a contender this year.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:42 AM   #4
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

I think that it would be a gratuitous mistake for the Mavs to disassociate themselves from Fin. Granted he's in the waning years of his career but I believe that he still has 3-4 years of strong play left in him. Soon he will be the elder statesman of this Mavs squad and a leader of that calibre and loyalty cannot be bought - it can only developed through years of service on a single team. No doubt if he leaves, this board will be full of people saying 'we need vet leadership!' blah blah...we have to stop expecting top of the NBA contribution from all of our players. Fin brings excellent play (as his stats suggest) but even if he didn't I still don't think we should get rid of him (nor would be be able to IMO). Back on topic, I feel that he has 4 more years where he can be an effective player. I would really like for him to develop into something of a Reggie Miller-esque presence on this team. You would never expect the Pacers to trade him right? Neither should anyone expect us to trade Fin.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:55 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see why the Mavs can't get another 3 years or more of 15+ ppg. He is primarily a jumpshooter..so not like he has to worry about losing his explosiveness.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:24 AM   #6
TheBaron

TheBaron is on a distinguished road

he's not going to be posterizing players for long but he's developed into a mighty fine 3pt shooter. In addition, other people have mentioned that he is the leader on this team and he's been on this team as long as anyone. If he gets traded for the new model, I could see a lot of people unhappy.

Oh boy!
TheBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:28 AM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I love Finley, and I hope he retires a Mav. But if Cuban really wants to cut some costs, I bet Portland would take him. They are desperate for some outside shooting--and of course, some good guys.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 01:10 PM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
I love Finley, and I hope he retires a Mav. But if Cuban really wants to cut some costs, I bet Portland would take him. They are desperate for some outside shooting--and of course, some good guys.
That wouldn't make any sense for Portland. They have Nick, Damon and Abdur Rahim coming off the books. Not sure what their salaries are but i'd imagine thats over 30 million off the books. I don't know why they would cut that down just to obtain Finley. I'd think it would be pretty unfair that we finally have arguably our best team ever assembled and you'd just trade him to the Blazers. Atleast trade him to a team in the East that can contend.

I'm not sure how long Fin lasts but he doesn't look as if he's lost anything IMO. He came off the injury looking better than ever and now he's in a slump or atleast I hope it's a slump. I like his defense this year however. It's the best i've seen him in years. Still to this day once you trade Fin I don't believe you can get equal in return for him.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 02:04 PM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I'm sure that if Fin were traded it wouldn't be to get equal in return. Witness the Steve Nash situation.

I'm just saying that I do think there are teams that would trade for Finley, despite his contract, and that Portland could well be one.

Having said that, I would hope that this would simply be idle speculation. God love Michael Finley. And keep him here.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:21 PM   #10
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Please dont trade Fin. The only thing good that might happen out of trade will be Dirk will really, really be forced to take the reins on this club. Notice how his game dipped when Fin came back. Before that, he was MVP like.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:23 PM   #11
samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick is on a distinguished road

Hell no
Old 01-04-2005, 03:59 PM   #12
TheBaron

TheBaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
Please dont trade Fin. The only thing good that might happen out of trade will be Dirk will really, really be forced to take the reins on this club. Notice how his game dipped when Fin came back. Before that, he was MVP like.
Dirk's numbers dropped a little, not his level of play.

Oh boy!
TheBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 04:27 PM   #13
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

To make a good chili, soup, or stew you have to let the ingredients simmer for awhile to blend the flaovors. Beats the heck out of the instant stuff in taste test every time.

Sometimes the best move is no move. The Mavs are at the point that no more moves need to be made this year.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 05:05 PM   #14
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan
To make a good chili, soup, or stew you have to let the ingredients simmer for awhile to blend the flaovors. Beats the heck out of the instant stuff in taste test every time.

Sometimes the best move is no move. The Mavs are at the point that no more moves need to be made this year.
Or next. What move would you make, except to perhaps add a bench shooter in the offseason? All of the pieces are in place; we just need to let them come together as a cohesive unit.

Edited to remove cliche word: gel.