Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-16-2003, 12:43 PM   #1
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default Cuban interview on Radio

Cuban just said that Zo through his agent had committed to the Mavs, so they had no back up plan. They told Malone and others that they had spent their MLE.

When Zo and his agent called, he thought they were calling to talk about doing a S&T for Kidd. If Zo had told them earlier, then there were others they would have targeted (who are apparently no longer available) to split the MLE with.

He was floored when he was told Zo going to NJ.

Horry and Pippen--only if they would take the 1.5 or vet minimum short term. Only want older players under those terms.

Raef--doesn't regret signing him to the deal, beleives he will improve since he is only 26, and he is in the gym working out now. Cuban was disappointed in Raef last season, however.

More info-- Counting on Josh Howard. Likes Marquis Daniels and Josh Powell from the summer squad, looking for young guys they can develop.

Still looking at FAs, but nothing emminent.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2003, 12:47 PM   #2
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cuban interview on Radio

So... Mourning is a liar and a deal-breaker...
Old 07-16-2003, 01:02 PM   #3
cookies_n_mavs

cookies_n_mavs is on a distinguished road

Mourning has proven himself to be a wiener.

But Mark shouldn't have counted his chickens before they was hatched..
Old 07-16-2003, 01:04 PM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

- Thanks Dallas didn't get a liar.
- No Horry and Pippen.
- No Raef trade. That may mean, not trades for the other 7 cores.
- With Howard, Daniels and Powell, not Griff and Walt.

Edit: Let's count. 11 current with Howard. Plus Daniels and Powell, 13 players. Plus Raja, one free spot. I don't think Powell could play better than Walt, but Cuban said he wants young players. Then it had to come other instead of Griff, and Powell has to play better in summer games.

Maybe another new addition for the bench, and that's it.

Old 07-16-2003, 01:14 PM   #5
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

This clears up alot of things , i don't blame Cubes so much anymore. Can't believe ZO would do that, screwed the Mavs in the process. Horry and Pippen would be good moves IMO.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:14 PM   #6
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

So... we're in quasi-rebuilding mode?
Sigh.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 01:17 PM   #7
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Going after the lying scoundrel Alonzo Mourning was the worst GM decision in the history of the Mavericks franchise.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 01:19 PM   #8
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Going after the lying scoundrel Alonzo Mourning was the worst GM decision in the history of the Mavericks franchise.
Shock value? You think that was worse than trading away Jason Kidd?
Old 07-16-2003, 01:21 PM   #9
uberfan
Golden Member

Quote:
Mavs have a GM? I wasn't aware of that.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:22 PM   #10
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

I still put all of this on Cuban. What the hell is Cuban taking the word of Zo's agent and going out and telling other propective free-agents that they have allready spent there MLE?

You don't go by an agents word and then burn all your bridges with other players...ie Karl Malone..

All the other verbal agreements on contracts somehow got out to the media and hmmmm..some how this didn't get out.

I see it as Cuban trying to cover his a$$ because he screwed up on Malone. I'm not buying it.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 01:22 PM   #11
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't surprise me. I halfway assumed that was the scenario. That a guy as savvy as Cuban doesn't know well enough to hedge his bets amazes me.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 01:22 PM   #12
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Yes. The worst in Maverick history. Much worse than the unprotected #1 pick for Eric Montross. Much worse than the selection of Jim Farmer. Every terrible Maverick draft choice, every trade, every free agent signing... they all pale in comparison to this.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 01:23 PM   #13
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road

this just enhances my doubts for their decision of pursuing zo in the first place.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:02 PM   #14
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Regarding Raef trade: Everyone at the Ticket is obsessed with Raef's contract. They seem to think it is the source of all our problems, although Bob and Dan seem to have realized it is not Bradley's fault, so that is progress. So they took that position and asked about trading Raef, and Cuban backed up his guy and his decision. I have no doubt Cuban is willing to trade Raef for the right deal.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 02:03 PM   #15
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Raef--doesn't regret signing him to the deal, beleives he will improve since he is only 26, and he is in the gym working out now. Cuban was disappointed in Raef last season, however
Raef is like Cuban and Nellie's bastard red-headed, left-handed love-child, conceived in a moment of trading passion, forever a mark of shame.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 02:09 PM   #16
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Raef is like Cuban and Nellie's bastard love-child, conceived in a moment of trading passion, forever a mark of shame.
hehehe,like the metaphor.

well,Raef spent more time in nellies dog house,than playing real basketball,so i doubt they love him that much.
they both recognize the skills,but aren't willing to wait forever to see if he uses them properly.
like ape said,if the shoe feets....
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 02:17 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm telling you...it will be sooner than later that NJ will rue the day they signed Zo and his broken down kidneys to a three year deal. I truly think that Zo did the Mavs a huge favor.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 03:14 PM   #18
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
- Thanks Dallas didn't get a liar.
- No Horry and Pippen.
- No Raef trade. That may mean, not trades for the other 7 cores.
- With Howard, Daniels and Powell, not Griff and Walt.

Edit: Let's count. 11 current with Howard. Plus Daniels and Powell, 13 players. Plus Raja, one free spot. I don't think Powell could play better than Walt, but Cuban said he wants young players. Then it had to come other instead of Griff, and Powell has to play better in summer games.

Maybe another new addition for the bench, and that's it.

Yes this is the source to fix all are troubles, a rookie, and 2 summer league players.

Pippen would have been a really good deal for 1 or 2 years while Howard would develop.

And i wouldn't say that there wont be a Raef trade.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:25 PM   #19
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

I heard the interview this morning and I have to say that I agree with BB...really sounded like Cuban was trying to put on the "best face" by putting the whole thing off on Zo. I'm not totally on board with Cuban's story.

Having said that, I'm damn happy it fell through. From day one, I've said that he's too much of a medical risk and I'll stand by that. 4 years guaranteed...no way in hell do I do that with Zo. It was a foolish undertaking right from the jump. As Doc said, this deal is going to haunt NJ.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:34 PM   #20
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Buti think Kidd would be worth it, he plays right into the Mavs style, besides the fact he can't shoot.
And Dirk would probably get alot more points from just Kidd.
And whoever wouldn't get traded would probably increase in points, Kidd does that to you.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:38 PM   #21
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Cuban just said that Zo through his agent had committed to the Mavs, so they had no back up plan. They told Malone and others that they had spent their MLE.
I don't believe Cuban. If the Mavs were interested in Malone then they could have worked out a sign and trade for him and STILL had Zo. >I< thought that was the plan all along.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 03:41 PM   #22
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
I'm telling you...it will be sooner than later that NJ will rue the day they signed Zo and his broken down kidneys to a three year deal. I truly think that Zo did the Mavs a huge favor.
Taking Zo to keep Kidd is not as bad a deal for Jersey as it might've been for the Mavericks. The Nets bascially paid $119M to keep Kidd, when to've done otherwise would've resulted in a MAJOR dropoff in the franchise's prospects.

If the Nets get ANYTHING out of Zo, it's gravy. But they HAD to keep Kidd.

I agree that I'm not at all sorry that Mourning didn't come to the Mavericks. If, however, he were a tag-along in a deal to sign Kidd, I wouldn't have thought twice about doing it. My regret is that the Mavs wasted time pursuing Mourning at all, at the cost of better opportunities.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:51 PM   #23
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Is keeping Kidd important enough to drag along Zo...

I mean he can't be that great of an influence in the locker room. And he favors players(Kittles, Zo) and it might hold the potential of Martin, Jefferson, and Collins.

Yeah alot of the players say he's a greast thing. But i don't think Martin will be too happy giving up touches to a favored Zo, ecspecially with his great playoff run.

Collins, after he did so well in the playoffs, will have to ride the bench this year.

I don't think the statement about Scott was too good either.

I'm just saying i think the Nets would have been alot better off doing a sign and trade with a team. Instead of a health case, and a player who has gotten traded only because of his attitude.

This move with Zo just holds their younger guys down, just like the Wizards and Michael Jordan.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:54 PM   #24
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Malone never wanted to play here. He doesn't fit. By adding malone you add two or three problems to this team. Just because he has the same body he had at age 40 doesn't mean that he isn't just a shell of his former self. This sounds like the emmit smith argument he can still play can't he well he has the same body.

He also went on to say that GP would have jumped at the chance to go with denver but they didn't want him. Don't believe everything that ford and the espn crew says geez. I don't want mourning, malone, or Kandiman. They all have huge risk tags too them. Besides I don't recall that malone shut down webber he didn't he played Vlade. The guy is one knee injury away from ending his career. Who wants a thug like malone.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 04:15 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

Malone has never been injured so why say he is a knee injury away? Aren't all players a knee injury away from retirement? That is rediculous. Malone will have a great season. His numbers may drop, but his play will be inspired and I seriously doubt you see a drop off. The guy has always been one of those gym rat keep in shape guys.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:32 PM   #26
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Malone never wanted to play here. He doesn't fit. By adding malone you add two or three problems to this team. Just because he has the same body he had at age 40 doesn't mean that he isn't just a shell of his former self. This sounds like the emmit smith argument he can still play can't he well he has the same body.

He also went on to say that GP would have jumped at the chance to go with denver but they didn't want him. Don't believe everything that ford and the espn crew says geez. I don't want mourning, malone, or Kandiman. They all have huge risk tags too them. Besides I don't recall that malone shut down webber he didn't he played Vlade. The guy is one knee injury away from ending his career. Who wants a thug like malone.
I would have personally prefered a thug like Malone, just the thug would make people driving to the paint fear the Mavericks inside Defense. And i agree with Drbio, isn't everybody an injury away from ending a career. Actually i think he would do just fine with the Mavs style. He likes that 15 foot jumper, and i think him and Nash would play very well together, it would certainly give Nash a new element.

Malone might not have been worth a big contract, but he is certainly worth the MLE.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:39 PM   #27
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

And Sock, I totally agree with you. How come we just can't offer the MLE to ZO and Malone. Offer it to Zo first and then turn around and offer it to Malone. Whoever agrees to it first, takes it. Cubes is a complete dumbass and I love him for his willingness, but getting FA, he sucks ass. Malone is definitly worth the MLE. And he would have filled a whole on our team. A veteran PF that would get calls, rebound, and lead in the paint. Zo was a risky, stupid move by Cuban. And why is our Drunk GM not discussing things? I hate when Cuban looks like the guy making the decisions, he doesn't know enough to be a GM of any team.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 04:46 PM   #28
Mavs_fun_fan

Mavs_fun_fan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How about drafting Leon Smith, that has to rank up there.
Mavs_fun_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 04:50 PM   #29
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: foglemann
And Sock, I totally agree with you. How come we just can't offer the MLE to ZO and Malone. Offer it to Zo first and then turn around and offer it to Malone. Whoever agrees to it first, takes it. Cubes is a complete dumbass and I love him for his willingness, but getting FA, he sucks ass. Malone is definitly worth the MLE. And he would have filled a whole on our team. A veteran PF that would get calls, rebound, and lead in the paint. Zo was a risky, stupid move by Cuban. And why is our Drunk GM not discussing things? I hate when Cuban looks like the guy making the decisions, he doesn't know enough to be a GM of any team.

Yes, and to add Malone might hve not gone to the Lakers which is now the team to beat.

And i think signing Evan to a 6 year deal was the worst GM move in the franchise.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:59 PM   #30
Mavs_fun_fan

Quote:
I have read many posts on here wondering why free agents won't sign with Dallas and who knows what goes on in the minds of millionaire basketball players. But I can tell you on thing if you start offering contracts to several players when you only can sign one player then you will lose credibility completely and then the players won't even consider you as trust worthy. At least players now mention Dallas as a place they would play. If you start playing players against each other that won't remain that way.

And I just don't understand why every one is still talking about Malone. He signed with exactly who he wanted, The fact that he left the lakers MLE for Payton tells you the money wasn't the deal. He wanted to play with Shaq period. Malone yanked the Mavericks chain, I just don't understand why some of the posters here can't understand that.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:00 PM   #31
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavs_fun_fan
Quote:

Absolutely!
Old 07-16-2003, 05:12 PM   #32
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

mavs fun fan, all you have to do is not tell anyone. With Cubes shouting to the world all the time with what there going to do its hard to keep anything quiet and make moves such as offer people the same thing. Its stupid to say that you will lose all credibility with the players since that is what all the players are doing to us. Mourning, Rashard, Malone, and the cycle keeps going probably with Miller and others. We are like a lilly pad for all good players to reach land. Our ability to scout and figure out who we need to get is a joke. We went with the wrong guy again and just because Malone signed for less doesn't exactly mean he wouldn't come here for more. BUT when Cubes tells Malone he is our second option, what else is he going to think. LA knew what it was doing, why don't we.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 05:13 PM   #33
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely!
Quinn Buckner.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:23 PM   #34
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Quote:
Quote:
I have read many posts on here wondering why free agents won't sign with Dallas and who knows what goes on in the minds of millionaire basketball players. But I can tell you on thing if you start offering contracts to several players when you only can sign one player then you will lose credibility completely and then the players won't even consider you as trust worthy. At least players now mention Dallas as a place they would play. If you start playing players against each other that won't remain that way.

And I just don't understand why every one is still talking about Malone. He signed with exactly who he wanted, The fact that he left the lakers MLE for Payton tells you the money wasn't the deal. He wanted to play with Shaq period. Malone yanked the Mavericks chain, I just don't understand why some of the posters here can't understand that.
I don't ever recall him saying he wanted to play WITH Shaq, i just remember him saying he wanted a ring. And he did say that Dallas was his number one contender up until Dallas committed to Zo. Then you can say the whole thing about losing credibility when you go after different players, and if you can do it secretly.

But the question is, was Zo a mistake. Of course, even before he signed with NJ he was a health risk, and for 4 years was way too much time to be giving him. And if we may have not committed to Zo then you might have seen Dallas sporting the number 32.

But with your first statement, i think teams can defianetly go for more then 2 players. But the way Dallas does it is all wrong, just like this whole summer.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:46 PM   #35
Mavs_fun_fan

fogleman: if you offer player #1 a contract along with player #2 , player #1's agent goes on TV and says we're considering a Maverick contract offer. player #2's agent is watching and holds the same offer in his hand. this would be suicide. agents talk to each other, players talk to each other there is no way you could get away with that kind of strategy. while it's true that the players do basicly the same thing they have all the power because their signature is what makes the contract binding. if we were to start playing players against each other our status will return to the level it was 5 or 6 years ago. a team that wouldn't even be mentioned as a team to consider to play for. our team is at least considered now and after all the years of being the bottom dweller of the NBA that's an improvement. perhaps it's not changing as fast as most of us want, but it is improving. I'm just as frustrated as anyone about our lack of a dominant low post player, but those players are few and demand is great. and then you've got the glamour teams like the lakers who will always get good players because of their tradition. it's a tough problem, but losing the credibilty we are starting to receive will not get us there. we just have to be honest and deal with the players straight. the mavericks it seems have always had bad luck (all those years in the lottery and never the top pick. roy tarpley etc.). hopefully our luck will change, we just have to stay the course and hope eventually some big time free agents decide Dallas is the place they want to play. stranger things have happened.

edit: you suggest our error with malone was he thought he was our second option, what is different about offering several players the same contract? there isn't any it's basicly the same thing.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:23 PM   #36
uberfan
Golden Member

Quote:
fogleman: if you offer player #1 a contract along with player #2 , player #1's agent goes on TV and says we're considering a Maverick contract offer. player #2's agent is watching and holds the same offer in his hand. this would be suicide. agents talk to each other, players talk to each other there is no way you could get away with that kind of strategy. while it's true that the players do basicly the same thing they have all the power because their signature is what makes the contract binding. if we were to start playing players against each other our status will return to the level it was 5 or 6 years ago. a team that wouldn't even be mentioned as a team to consider to play for. our team is at least considered now and after all the years of being the bottom dweller of the NBA that's an improvement. perhaps it's not changing as fast as most of us want, but it is improving. I'm just as frustrated as anyone about our lack of a dominant low post player, but those players are few and demand is great. and then you've got the glamour teams like the lakers who will always get good players because of their tradition. it's a tough problem, but losing the credibilty we are starting to receive will not get us there. we just have to be honest and deal with the players straight. the mavericks it seems have always had bad luck (all those years in the lottery and never the top pick. roy tarpley etc.). hopefully our luck will change, we just have to stay the course and hope eventually some big time free agents decide Dallas is the place they want to play. stranger things have happened.

edit: you suggest our error with malone was he thought he was our second option, what is different about offering several players the same contract? there isn't any it's basicly the same thing.
I think you are being a little naive when looking at the negotiating process. Yes, agents talk to each other, players talk to each other, and GMs talk to each other. Teams can ly out parameters to multiple agents as to what they are willing to do and for how long. Each parameter can be different for each player. True, every agent already knows which teams have cap room and which only have the MLE, etc. but they don't know what the Team is willing to do to make a deal work.

Forget the discussion about Kandi's attributes and whether or not he would have been a fit for the Mavs. Let's just his situation as an example.

GM calls Duffy and says, "We can do something like the MLE, we would consider going 6 years with an opt-out after 3, etc. If you can get Baylor and Sterling to agree to a S&T, we would be willing to go as high as $z by trading player x or players x & y.

Then, you pick up the phone and call another Agent for a player you want. You lay out the paramters you are willing to do for that player, and so on.

You have several things working at once, but you have officially tendered an offer to anyone.

Now, you call the Agent for the player you want most and say, "We have some interest from another player who wants to come here, where are we with you all at this point?"

Based upon that conversation, sugges that the Agent contac this player and get back to you ASAp because you need to return the other call. If the Agent for the guy you want says they will take the MLE as a fallback, but he wants to try the S&T, you tell him to get his client on for conference call with you and the coach and start talking about his role on the Team. You get the player to buy into being a part of the Team. At that point he wouldn't hurt to have Dirk and whoever call the player and start talking about playing together if it is someone you really want and Dirk and others want on the Team.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:28 PM   #37
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thrilled the Zo deal fell through as most of us were not on board with it in the first place. However, I don't like hearing they had no back up plan. Even if they had a committment, they should have had something in mind.

Raef can do nothing but improve. Surely, he can't have another up and down and disappointing season like the last year.

I'm most upbeat about the Mavs saying they will not offer anything more than the $1.5 to the older guys like Pippen and Horry. And that it must be short term.

Still, the Mavs are scrambling and covering up for another shit off season.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:32 PM   #38
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Fine, so Malone thought he would be our 2nd option and signed with LA after Gary Payton commited to them for the MLE ...

So basically Malone got angry about beeing the 2nd option, turned around to sign for another team telling him openly that he´s not option no.1 (why would Payton get the higher deal if not?) and chooses to become option 4???

As soon as Kupchak had Malone thinking about playing alongside Kobe, Shaq and Payton there was NO chance of him signing with the Mavs, no matter how much we courted him.

If all that you want is the ring, you CANNOT pass on that.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:29 PM   #39
Mavs_fun_fan

uberfan: no I'm not being niave I understand how negotiations work. however what we were talking about is offering a player your after a contract, then in secret sending another player the same contract when you only have one contract to offer. there is nothing wrong with talking to several players and discussing perimeters. which BTW is what the mavericks were doing although they offered the MLE to only ZO and it's been said by many that malone took offense and signed with the lakers. I don't even think anything is wrong with offering a MLE to a couple of players as long as both players know about it. but chances are both players will be offended and both will walk. many here have expressed the opinion that we should have hedged our bets, yet in the same sentence say that malone didn't come here because he was our second choice. well since he is a PF and we really need a center he was, an how any type of secret offers would have helped our chances is simply beyond my comprehension. how the negotiations were handled look logical to me, however; the result where not what we had in mind. should we have offered the MLE to ZO and malone? I think the result would have been the same either way.....
Old 07-16-2003, 07:37 PM   #40
Mavs_fun_fan

Quote:
Originally posted by: seelenjaeger
Fine, so Malone thought he would be our 2nd option and signed with LA after Gary Payton commited to them for the MLE ...

So basically Malone got angry about beeing the 2nd option, turned around to sign for another team telling him openly that he´s not option no.1 (why would Payton get the higher deal if not?) and chooses to become option 4???

As soon as Kupchak had Malone thinking about playing alongside Kobe, Shaq and Payton there was NO chance of him signing with the Mavs, no matter how much we courted him.

If all that you want is the ring, you CANNOT pass on that.
I agree completely! what Dallas did was not even on the radar screen. malone wanted to go to LA and that's where he went. I just can't understand why some continue to say Cuban somehow mishandled malone. malone signed with the lakers because he thinks it was his best chance to get a ring, and since shaq plays in LA it in all honestly probably is his best chance. I just don't see what is so hard to understand.