Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 11-22-2005, 04:45 PM   #1
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all
Default Xbox 360

Anybody lucky enough to pick one up lastnight/this morning? Man the line at the Best Buy on Central in Plano was 226+ deep 7 hours before it opened.

Had mine reserved since June 3rd and didnt make the first shipment. Got lucky yesterday afternoon though when 5 infront of me bailed. So got one at midnight.

This thing(although had already played it) is SWEET.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2005, 07:15 PM   #2
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Yep. waited from about 1:00 to 5:30 (PM!) at Walmart and got a core system. the 9th of only 10 that walmart had. talk about close. im sure you heard this story on HCG so why I am saying this again I have no idea
Old 11-22-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

haha.

Why in the world did you get a 'Tard-pack aka Core system?

Old 11-22-2005, 07:46 PM   #4
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

it was all that was available. only the first two people in line got the premium. it was either core or wait til the next shipment. as far as I know tonnnns of people had to settle for the core. the harddrives are sold out everywhere, too. you'd think that they would make enough hard drives to go into the number of core systems.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:46 PM   #5
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I soooooooooooooo wish I had the money for one of these. I'd immediately throw it on ebay and get over $1000 for it.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:01 PM   #6
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

wrong thread !

Last edited by Ninkobei; 11-22-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Ninkobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:07 AM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Damn you rich folks.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:05 AM   #8
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely profit off ebay as well..

wait, I am =)

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:34 AM   #9
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
I would definitely profit off ebay as well..

wait, I am =)
ha
that is awesome.
could I get a d-m.com discount? ( ;
jk...
like el, no funds.. nor time, really.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:13 AM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

A buddy of mine stood in line for several hours at Target that night. Target began passing out vouchers to the people in line to keep track of who had rights to a system. He got a voucher for a core system. Someone promptly came up and offered him $200 for the VOUCHER, and he turned it down.

He needs a good slapping.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:34 AM   #11
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He got a voucher for a core system. Someone promptly came up and offered him $200 for the VOUCHER, and he turned it down.

He needs a good slapping.
he does indeed.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 03:02 AM   #12
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

How much better is the Playstation 3 supposed to be when compared to the 360???

I have had friends tell me that 3 is going to blow 360 out of the water but man, the 360 looks amazing...

Should I wait until early next year for 3 or purchase 360? I have always been a playstation fan but don't really have a preference... I simply want to get what will be superior...
Old 11-26-2005, 03:14 AM   #13
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

it will blow 360 out of the water.

if you don't have a few hundred to spare, then I suggest waiting because the PS3 is no question the superior console (this is why Microsoft decided to release their 360 this year instead of next).

but I hear the PS3 will have a redirkulous price tag on it, but who knows?

I got the XBox just to profit on EBay.

Contact Me
Old 11-26-2005, 03:30 AM   #14
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I am willing to pay up to $600 for the console with all of the features, (no core system)... It can't possibly be more than that... Can it?
Old 11-26-2005, 03:32 AM   #15
alby
Guru

they have not released the exact numbers to the public yet, but I've heard rumors of all the way up to 700 bucks...

Contact Me
Old 11-26-2005, 03:33 AM   #16
alby
Guru

Anyways, if you don't already have an Xbox by now, you won't be getting one for a few months which means you should just wait for the PS3. =)

Contact Me
Old 11-26-2005, 03:37 AM   #17
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Sounds like a plan... I sure hope you are wrong about that 700 buck thing...
Old 11-26-2005, 03:49 AM   #18
alby
Guru

If they restrict the numbers of systems they decide to produce like Microsoft is doing during this holiday season, I can only imagine how high THOSE prices will reach on Ebay.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 11-26-2005 at 03:49 AM.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:51 AM   #19
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Well I am not stupid... I can wait rather than pay a 250 percent markup!
Old 11-26-2005, 03:53 AM   #20
alby
Guru

I'm just talking to myself, salivating from the mouth at the money that can be made next year as well =)

Contact Me
Old 11-26-2005, 04:11 AM   #21
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Heartless I tell you... Heartless!
Old 11-26-2005, 08:22 AM   #22
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Male23Dan - Here's a spec sheet to compare the two systems. From this and other things that I've read, it appears that they'll both be great machines. XBox360 seems to have more of an emphasis on multimedia (it handles JPEG and MP3 files) and it has the advantage of the XBox Live network. There is talk that Microsoft will offer downloadable videos, movies, and even games through the Live network. At this point in time, Sony doesn't have anything comparable to offer in that area. The PS3, on the other hand, seems to have more expandability (6 USB ports vs. 3 for 360) and will almost certainly have a wider selection of games. Both appear to be backward compatible.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:42 AM   #23
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Actually the ps3 is about twice as powerful as the 360 while including a Blu-ray BD-ROM drive, which in a couple years will take over dvd. A Blu-ray drive is expected to cost around $1000 USD and sony is virtually giving it for free. The 360's graphic card is nowhere comparable to the ps3’s, which is virtually out of this market as the clock speed on it is just amazing. Another thing that the ps3 offers which somehow Microsoft forgot to offer is bluetooth, which is basically the future of wireless peripherals.

Ign.com on the blu-ray:

Quote:
Reason #1: The Blu-ray Player
Sony and Company's next-generation disc format has yet to see the light of day in its final form, but the pure technology behind the format is immensely promising from both a gaming and general entertainment standpoint. We're talking 50GB+ of storage space here, more than 5x the space than the 360's DVD format can muster.

More storage space means more room for content which helps widen the possibilities of the PS3's power. Who needs a next-gen system if you run out of content space on your media (and keep in mind, Microsoft has no plans to incorporate HD-DVD or anything like it)? Blu-ray's transfer rate is also quite quick, and though the PS3's actual drive speed hasn't yet been announced, speedy load times should be on the horizon. And with all of the studio support that the Blu-ray Disc Association has garnered, it's sure to be one hell of a next-gen home video format. In short, the PlayStation 3 will have the most advanced storage medium of any game system on the planet.

Last edited by #1MavsFan; 11-26-2005 at 09:43 AM.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:54 AM   #24
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Believe what you will about the PS3. It will be about the same thing as the x360 as far as performance goes. As for the 50gb of storage on one cd- I'd be VERY surprised if someone made a game that huge. Doom3 is the largest one I've even heard of and if I remember correctly it's 15 gigs (DECOMPRESSED, 3 gigs normal)
and as for that link posted above, that was back in june when that was printed and I find it slightly biased. here's a better one

http://www.megagames.com/news/show.c...se=332&page=1&

Blu-ray is a joke. no one in their right mind will switch from DVDs to sony-money-ray just because of the ps3. Heck I'm not even sure if there is a blu-ray player on the market yet.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:07 PM   #25
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing with Blu-Ray, at least with their players, is that they're supposed to require an internet connection for it's anti-piracy stuff. It has to check against central servers, etc.

Now, there has got to be a ton of people out there that purchased PS2's that don't have broadband and don't want to use dial-up everytime they use their console. If that truly ends of being a requirement for the PS3, I could see that being a problem for a large part of the market, once it drops in price.

There was also rumblings that Sony was going to make their games console-specific, as in as soon as you used a game on one console, that is the only one it would work on. Now that is very radical, and I would have to believe would have a very negative effect on their sales. I find it highly doubtful they'd be dumb enough to try that, but I read it in two different articles.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 05:20 PM   #26
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

#1MavsFan - For every review that says the PS3 is better, I can dig up one that says XBox360 is superior. I think it will probably just be a matter of preference.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:53 PM   #27
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Somewhat off topic, but does anybody know if Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories is coming out for PS2?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 10:56 PM   #28
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
#1MavsFan - For every review that says the PS3 is better, I can dig up one that says XBox360 is superior. I think it will probably just be a matter of preference.
KG,

Would you mind posting links that are from unbiased websites known for unbiased reviews that say that the 360 is better? I have only read in the last two days reviews that basically say that the PS3 is going to be the better system but likely be more expensive. All of the others are not really giving an answer, just posting info and specs and letting you make your own mind. From the specs though, it seems like the PS3 is the better system IMO.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:13 PM   #29
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Somewhat off topic, but does anybody know if Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories is coming out for PS2?

Nope, it is not. :|

Old 11-26-2005, 11:16 PM   #30
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Isn't that the game that is premiering on 3?
Old 11-27-2005, 11:57 AM   #31
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Liberty city stories is a playstation portable exclusive
Old 11-27-2005, 12:00 PM   #32
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
Liberty city stories is a playstation portable exclusive
Ahhh... Thanks... I knew they were coming out with a new Metal Gear game, (what an awesome franchise of games), so I thought maybe a new GTA.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:32 PM   #33
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road

My view on it is that A) i would prefer to buy as little as possible from Mr. Gates, and B) 6-9 months is a LONG time when it comes to technological developments. i have a hard time believing that the 360 will be the equal (tech wise) of the PS3.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:18 AM   #34
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely PSU Mavs Fan
My view on it is that A) i would prefer to buy as little as possible from Mr. Gates, and
I don't see the difference in choosing Sony over Microsoft, both are classified as 'big business.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely PSU Mavs Fan
B) 6-9 months is a LONG time when it comes to technological developments. i have a hard time believing that the 360 will be the equal (tech wise) of the PS3.
You're right, the PS3 will be superior tech wise. I just don't think it will be Significantly superior, and no article I have read has claimed so. When both systems are optimized to their full capacity they will be very near. I ask you this, as far as processor speeds go, 9 months ago what was the highest clock speed?

mmh..random drivvel
Old 11-28-2005, 01:32 AM   #35
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

"Playstation 3 doubles Xbox 360 performance"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05...y_unveils_ps3/

http://www.eet.com/news/latest/produ...leID=163105122

"When stacked up against the competition, PlayStation 3 shines brightly. It’s twice as powerful, features better hardware and superior software selection."
http://www.broadbandinfo.com/got-hig...3/default.html

There’s no doubt that the ps3 is much more powerful but to reach that potential will take a while. Also ps3 supports better hd resolutions than the 360 for you hdtv owners.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:13 AM   #36
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I read quite a few reviews that put PS2 ahead of Xbox before it came out and its not close. XBOX is a better game consol, PS2 has more games but XBOX has the greatness of HALO. I dont ever trust reviews so I am always a bit behind on the buying of game systems because I can only afford one (really cant afford that but buy one anyway) so I wait till my friends have it so I can do extended tests instead of just a demo in a store. After that I buy the console I like. Anyone that has a 360 right now I would sell it. You could make 3 hundred dollars PLUS a still have a 360 if you sell yours now and get a new one later. I just really dont see how PS3 will be THAT much better. Really dont. The blue ray thing is a huge load of crap. The 50 gig thing is nice but pointless. Blue Ray isnt gonna replace Dvds and if they do it wont be until the next greatest video game system ever has been invented.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:25 AM   #37
alby
Guru

good point about PS2 and Xbox

However, Xbox came out after PS2 did and this time around its the PS3 after the 360...

Contact Me
Old 11-28-2005, 12:52 PM   #38
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

For me I never really thought about getting a 360. I got to play King Kong on 360 and I own it on PS2 and all I could think about was "Is this really next gen"? Seems like things were heavily rushed. Madden and NBA Live don't even contain the same features that the PS2 and Xbox versions do. I'm a huge gamer but not really into a rush to play these next gen systems. I think I can wait a year until the PS3 comes out. Very displeased with what 360 is offering right now.

BTW, anyone know when you can start preordering PS3's?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:18 PM   #39
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
but XBOX has the greatness of HALO
That about sums it up from my perspective.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 11-28-2005 at 03:18 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 04:46 PM   #40
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Xbox 360 is having lots of problems out the gate-- really looks like it was hurried

BBC is reporting that many owners of the first generation of 360s are experiencing game crashes "with a variety of games including Perfect Dark Zero, Project Gotham Racing and Need for Speed."

Also reports that the machine overheats easily and crashes-- which is supposed to be a distinct problem

The WiFi adapter is also giving lots of people audio problems when playing online.

Even if I had the money, I'd wait for the PS3 to come out-- by that time M$ will have figured out their problems, and we'll be able to compare the two systems.