Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-08-2004, 03:03 AM   #1
hi im ivan

hi im ivan is on a distinguished road
Default Any Boxing Fans In Here?

Wondering if there are any casual boxing fans in here. Boxing is a dying sport and has really been kicked off the mainstream since the beginning of the 90's and it seems like nothing will change anytime soon.

I'm sure most of you know big names like Mike Tyson, Oscar De La Hoya, Felix Trinidad, Sugar Shane Mosely, Andrew Golota, Lennox Lewis, etc.

Any casual or hardcore boxing fans in here?
Old 07-08-2004, 08:21 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Any Boxing Fans In Here?

There are a couple of us that follow boxing. Mostly it is casual though. We've had several who have chatted up some of the fights over the years.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 04:06 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Any Boxing Fans In Here?

I like to watch all the big fights. And of course the walking drama that is Mike Tyson. Isn't he suppsed to fight Holyfield and Bowe pretty soon? I can't wait to watch those fights!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 04:17 AM   #4
hi im ivan

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
I like to watch all the big fights. And of course the walking drama that is Mike Tyson. Isn't he suppsed to fight Holyfield and Bowe pretty soon? I can't wait to watch those fights!
It looks like Tyson is serious about boxing again. He's fighting a British tomatoe can at the end of this month but after that it will be bigger opponents like the WBO champ Lamon Brewster. He's the guy that knocked out behemoth Wladimir Klitschko last April.

Fights with Holyfield and Bowe will probably not happen because Holy and Bowe are both walking corpses at this point in their careers. Still, people would pay to see both these slaughters.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:28 AM   #5
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

do you think the Klitschko brothers will get another shot at a big fight?

in general, boxing needs another Tyson (without the madness, of course) to gain back some popularity.

without Lewis now retiring, I don't even know who is the reigning heavyweight champ, or is the more than one?

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 06:22 AM   #6
hi im ivan

Quote:
Originally posted by: twelli
do you think the Klitschko brothers will get another shot at a big fight?

in general, boxing needs another Tyson (without the madness, of course) to gain back some popularity.

without Lewis now retiring, I don't even know who is the reigning heavyweight champ, or is the more than one?
One of the Klitschko brothers, Vitali, is viewed as "the" Heavyweight Champion by most fans because he fought for the WBC Title, but the fact is that he is not. He lost to "the" Champ Lennox Lewis and he also lost to current IBF Champ Chris Byrd. Vitali has to fight Byrd again in order to be considered "the" Champion.

The other Klitschko, Wladimir, just got knocked out again last April by an unknown in Lamon Brewster. Wladimir has to climb back up the ranks. But he's young, huge and strong so he'll be back, as long as his chin holds up.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Im not a huge boxing fan but did anyone see the rahman toney fight? Toney should thank his lucky stars that the judges were apparently blind.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:42 AM   #8
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi im ivan
One of the Klitschko brothers, Vitali, is viewed as "the" Heavyweight Champion by most fans because he fought for the WBC Title, but the fact is that he is not. He lost to "the" Champ Lennox Lewis and he also lost to current IBF Champ Chris Byrd. Vitali has to fight Byrd again in order to be considered "the" Champion.
Vitali was a great fighter. I really think he could've been one of the all-time greats if his body wasn't so fragile. As for him losing to Lennox, sure, he talked tough afterward, but he was damn lucky, and he knows it. Klitschko was ahead on all the score cards, and he was on his way to losing the title. He was afraid to fight Vitali again, and it showed.

Quote:
The other Klitschko, Wladimir, just got knocked out again last April by an unknown in Lamon Brewster. Wladimir has to climb back up the ranks. But he's young, huge and strong so he'll be back, as long as his chin holds up.
I've never put much stock in conspiracy theories, but I do know that boxing always has been and still is the most corrupt sport in the history of mankind. I honestly believe that Wladimir was drugged. He had trained for that fight harder than he ever trained for any in his life, and he was in phenominal shape. Then he suddenly just lost all of his strength, and Brewster was hardly touching him. They stopped the fight, and you could see that Wlad's pupils were clearly dialated. Then later, he's taken to the hospital to see if he had some kind of condition, only to find that he's in perfect health. Then he had a blood sample taken for testing to see if he was drugged, and later the blood sample mysteriously disappeared. Just plain bizarre.

Wlad is clearly the class the division now that Vitali's retired. He could rivitalize the sport if he could get the friggin fights, but Don King controls all the other contenders in the division, and since Vitali and Wlad both refused to sign with him, he won't let his fighters go against Wlad.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:57 AM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the Vlad. He has a Ph.D. and speaks 8 different languages. Pretty darn impressive young man.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:56 AM   #10
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I'll bite your ear if enough money is on the table.....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:51 PM   #11
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Im not a huge boxing fan but did anyone see the rahman toney fight? Toney should thank his lucky stars that the judges were apparently blind.

See I had Toney winning the fight. I can't think of one hit that Rahman gave Toney that was even worth a damn. I give Rahman credit for being conditioned because had he not been he would've got knocked about by Toney in the 6th round. Toney hit him with some nasty jabs. The boxing world seems so crazy. I don't want to say its corrupt but the Heavyweight decision seems like there's so much confusion. Though I had Toney winning I understood why Rahman was going to win the fight. That is until they gave it a draw. Its crazy.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:54 AM   #12
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt anyone watched this fight with the playoffs starting and all, but Wladimir Klitschko officially resurrected his career yesterday by beating Chris Byrd for the IBF championship. This was the second time the two had fought. The first time was in 2001 resulting in a victory for Wlad by decision.

This time around, I wasn't a fight so much as it was sort of a "Welcome back" party for Wlad, as he dismantled Byrd from start to finish. After Wlad knocked him down in the 5th, Byrd quickly got back up. However, in the 7th, Wlad landed a series of hard hits and knocked him down again. Once again, Byrd showed heart by getting back up, but his face was quite a bloody mess and the fight was stopped.

Now that Wlad has resurrected his career, let's all hope he can resurrect the sport.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote