Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to behold
Default Brooks was trying to injure Damp-why no flagrant 2? Watch it again.

As they replayed the incident over and over, if you watch as both Damp and Brooks start to come back down, Brooks raised his right leg up under Damp's legs in an obvious attempt to trip him or make him fall awkwardly. I am convince he was deliberately trying to hurt Damp. This is the kind of thing that leads to torn ACLs. I think the way he raised his leg is what caused Damp to land so off balance and fall towards Brooks. Damp saw Brooks' leg come up under him, and that is what pi$$ed him off so much.

I think the Mavs should file a protest that Brooks was not ejected from the game.

Does anybody have a video of of the incident?
tgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Is that really the biggest issue? The problem with arguing any call is that if you argue too many you start to sound like you are just a whiner. You may have a legitimate point but A) its pretty hard to prove intent or unsportsmanshiply behavior especially with the size difference B) I doubt it will do any good to make a complaint with the NBA. Stern won't change the outcome by pretending they ejected Brooks, and they arent going to fine/suspend him.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I thoguth the right call was made except for the technical on dampier. You can argue it wasn't a flagrant but imo it was. For the record I do not believe in hard fouls either for that matter.

It was clearly close enough to be a flagrant, as far as dampier throwing an elbow I didn't see it, on either replay I watched.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Brooks couldn't injure Damp even if he swung a bat at his knees. That goofy duck looking guard is harmless.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Its just incredibly subjective for refs. The refs pissed off the Mavs and the Mave in turn pissed off the refs with their objections. Nine times out of ten that elbow would have gone uncalled, but this was not one of those games. Its like emphatically dunking-- refs wont usually call the tech but they will occasionally. The tech was just the cherry on top of a horribly called game. Mavs needed to keep composure better through the bad calls because obvious frustration with refs often becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
Brooks couldn't injure Damp even if he swung a bat at his knees. That goofy duck looking guard is harmless.
I disagree completely. If a man as big as Damp comes down wrong on one leg, it would be easy to tear an ACL. I think it was close to an injury, and that was why Damp was so mad. You really need to watch it again. Watch the leg.

Last edited by tgfan; 12-19-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
tgfan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Is that really the biggest issue? The problem with arguing any call is that if you argue too many you start to sound like you are just a whiner. You may have a legitimate point but A) its pretty hard to prove intent or unsportsmanshiply behavior especially with the size difference B) I doubt it will do any good to make a complaint with the NBA. Stern won't change the outcome by pretending they ejected Brooks, and they arent going to fine/suspend him.
I know it wouldn't change anything, but you have to protect your players. I still say Brooks was trying to hurt Damp by inserting his leg under Damp. I was surprised the refs didn't realize it and throw Brooks out.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I"d like to watch it again, can you help?
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgfan View Post
I disagree completely. If a man as big as Damp comes down wrong on one leg, it would be easy to tear and ACL. I think it was close to an injury, and that was why Damp was so mad. You really need to watch it again. Watch the leg.
How can you disagree completely? Brooks undeniably looks like a bat.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
As they replayed the incident over and over, if you watch as both Damp and Brooks start to come back down, Brooks raised his right leg up under Damp's legs in an obvious attempt to trip him or make him fall awkwardly. I am convince he was deliberately trying to hurt Damp. This is the kind of thing that leads to torn ACLs. I think the way he raised his leg is what caused Damp to land so off balance and fall towards Brooks. Damp saw Brooks' leg come up under him, and that is what pi$$ed him off so much.

I think the Mavs should file a protest that Brooks was not ejected from the game.

you come spewing all this crap and dont even have a video.
that whole thing was stupid, should have just been a shooting foul and no T on dampier.

i dont see how you think that was a flagrant 2 when kidd's is just a foul. watch kidd's feet taking 2 steps then jumping into andersen setting a pick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkfkIDDbJsg
Old 12-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #11
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I didn't think it was a "dirty" play at all and I believe the right call on Brooks was made. However, they can't assess Damp a T.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

When I saw it live, I thought it was nothing more than a foul.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #13
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

It was not a dirty play. Just a foul to prevent a dunk. Those can look dirty a lot of time because he wasn't in good position to stop it.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #15
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Come on, man. It was just a hard foul, deserving the flagrant-1 it got. As far as I know, Aaron Brooks is not one of those thugs who would try to hurt another player. Why assume the worst?
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:50 PM   #16
Entropy

Entropy has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Even the rockets own announcers were making fun of Brooks trying to stop Dampier on that would-be dunk. Brooks is a clean player, like all of the rockets except Ariza.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:04 AM   #17
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see the play, but wasnt Stackhouse suspended from the Finals for a flagrant whn he essentially bounced off of Shaq?
Old 12-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #18
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

If anything, Brooks was trying to knee him in the groin, not injure him.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #19
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
If anything, Brooks was trying to knee him in the groin, not injure him.
would that really have been better???

Um the question isnt whether it was a foul...it was a foul....BUT why the hell does Damp get thrown out. If I understand correctly he didnt even get to shoot free throws??

And the Mavs are filing a complaint saying that the refs decided that Damp threw an elbow only after reviewing the foul to see if it was a flagerent, at which point they should not have been allowed to make the call on Damp anyway....according to an article I read.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
I didn't see the play, but wasnt Stackhouse suspended from the Finals for a flagrant whn he essentially bounced off of Shaq?
It shouldnt matter how big the players are and its true about Stack/Shaq. Stack threw all his weight into Shaq to keep him from going up with a shot on multiple occasions and on at least one occasion that I remember, he recieved the flagrant for it despite making minimal impact on Shaq's movement.

The thing in the NBA is that a flagrant in one game is a PF in another, a shooting foul in another, and a non-call in another. Reffing in the NBA is the most subjective and inconsistent of any sport, except for maybe soccer. At least the NBA will occasionally reverse a horrible call.

This was a Flagrant 1 though, absolutely and undoubtedly with the slim possibility of it being a Flagrant 2. Flagrant 1's are just defined by "unnecessary contact " only. Only if its malicious, unsportsmanlike or attempts harm does a flagrant 1 become a flagrant 2.

People are arguing that its not a flagrant but any time you make significant contact with a players head, its a flagrant. He made a LOT of contact with Dampier including hand contact with Damp's head. You dont have to intend harm to get a flagrant.

And yeah it was bull that Damp gets mauled, and throws a light frustration elbow that leads to this whole fiasco. The refs have a 9 minute huddle and then assess a technical to Dampier? Not that we wanted Dampier to shoot those FTs, but still in the timeline Damp was flagrantly fouled and then was assessed a technical. He shoots FTs, then the Rockets shoot the technical, then Mavs recieve possession with Dampier ejected (2 techs is an automatic ejection no matter how touchy and weak the techs are.)

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-20-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #21
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I love starting a new thread with "watch it again" and no link provided.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #22
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzki4President View Post
Nowitzki4President is the greatest man to ever live!
Nowitzki4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #23
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showth...40#post1051840

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #24
crybaby

crybaby is on a distinguished road

Quote:

and you are the reason why everybody thinks that we are all whiners. brooks was just trying to prevent the dunk. as far as i know the only player who is sketchy on the rockets is trevor ariza. he took out rudy fernandez and then tried to elbow some other dude in the back of the head a week ago.

we lost. the officiating was bad yeah. but at least it was bad both ways. landry got assessed a foul for hitting dirk's elbow with his face?
kidd clearly attacked andersen for god knows wat reason.
that was a bad game all in all.
we just got to regroup and get a win against cleveland. who cares about the rockets.
crybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #25
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...si_mostpopular

Official protest filed...just worded in such a way that it could actually be filed.

No doubt, that game was an example of Tim Donaghy talks about regarding the NBA, but to prove it is no doubt nearly impossible.

It's clear the NBA will rule against Cuban, but it at least gives him a resource to file the complaint ... it's cheaper than a fine.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #26
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...si_mostpopular

Official protest filed...just worded in such a way that it could actually be filed.

No doubt, that game was an example of Tim Donaghy talks about regarding the NBA, but to prove it is no doubt nearly impossible.

It's clear the NBA will rule against Cuban, but it at least gives him a resource to file the complaint ... it's cheaper than a fine.
the decision should come these days, and honestly, I am curious what they say is here different to the Hawks-Heat situation:

Quote:
The Atlanta Hawks and Miami Heat must replay the final 51.9 seconds of their game last month because the official scorer ruled incorrectly that Shaquille O'Neal fouled out, the league said Friday.
Awarding a player with a 6th foul, when it's actually the fifth should not be handled any different than awarding a player with a sixth foul, when they are (wrong and) by rule prohibited to make that decision in such a situation.

Last edited by mavErika; 01-04-2010 at 03:13 PM.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #27
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course they will reject, im also just curious with which blabla they will separate this case from the Hawks-Heat.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #28
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Of course they will reject, im also just curious with which blabla they will separate this case from the Hawks-Heat.
It seems they figured it wouldn't need much blabla this time, as nobody remembers the circumstances, or even cares anymore, more than two weeks after the game.

Quote:
NBA denies Mavs' protest of Dampier ejection

By Official release
Posted Jan 5 2010 6:34PM

NEW YORK, January 5, 2010 -- The National Basketball Association announced today that Commissioner David Stern has denied the Dallas Mavericks' protest of their 116-108 loss to the Houston Rockets on December 18.

In the protest, the Mavericks argued that the referees, following an instant replay review, improperly called a technical foul on Erick Dampier with 1:01 remaining in overtime, which -- as his second technical foul -- resulted in his ejection from the game.

Commissioner Stern determined that the referees' decision to assess a technical foul on Dampier was a judgment call, and not a misapplication of the playing rules, which cannot successfully be protested under NBA rules.
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/01/05/m...s=iref:nbahpt2

Last edited by mavErika; 01-05-2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: link
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #29
tmac1yao11

tmac1yao11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NBA denies Mavs' protest of Dampier ejection

NEW YORK, January 5, 2010 -- The National Basketball Association announced today that Commissioner David Stern has denied the Dallas Mavericks' protest of their 116-108 loss to the Houston Rockets on December 18.

In the protest, the Mavericks argued that the referees, following an instant replay review, improperly called a technical foul on Erick Dampier with 1:01 remaining in overtime, which -- as his second technical foul -- resulted in his ejection from the game.

Commissioner Stern determined that the referees' decision to assess a technical foul on Dampier was a judgment call, and not a misapplication of the playing rules, which cannot successfully be protested under NBA rules.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/01/05/m...s=iref:nbahpt2
tmac1yao11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
unsportsmanshiply