Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-23-2004, 05:50 PM   #1
GIGEMLAW

GIGEMLAW is on a distinguished road
Default Another Orlando Possiblity

Looking at RealGM,

The Mavs might be able to pry away Kelvin Cato for Stackhouse/Laetner and Jon Steffanson.

What do you guys think of that?

Mavs would get a roster reduction, an athletic C/PF, and another expiring contract in Cato.

The big question would be will ORL do this. They would be trading an expiring contract away for a young SG/PG which they really do not need. Stackhouse would help. However, does Stackhouse have more value than a Cato to the Mavs and/or Orlando?

Other possibilities would be Bradley/Delt/Steffanson for Cato OR Bradley/Najera/Cash for Cato.
GIGEMLAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2004, 06:32 PM   #2
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default RE: Another Orlando Possiblity

i'd take cato. even though he has hands of stone, his contract is pretty palatable, and hes a solid center.

in fact, i think he's a tad better than that big spare dampier.

if you can get a cato for laettner/delk/stackhouse, you probably have to do it.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 06:48 PM   #3
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean either Stack or L8, or both?
Old 07-23-2004, 07:34 PM   #4
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all
Default RE:Another Orlando Possiblity

If you give them both stack and L8 Orlando'd do that in a hearbeat. Cato would be a nice role player.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:14 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

if you had to give Delk, Stack, Walker and Laettner you'd have to do it.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:45 PM   #6
Richie41

Richie41 is on a distinguished road

If we got rid of stack/l8 and got Cato....I would do a happy dance.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:51 PM   #7
reggiemiller

reggiemiller is on a distinguished road

Personally, I don't really like Cato. I would rather get another center, but if he's our last resort.... heck, i would do a happy dance too.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:19 AM   #8
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

No way would I trade Stack L8 and Delk for Cato. Kelvin Cato is okay but not worth the farm. Maybe Laetner for Cato but not possibly two starters for one.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 01:18 AM   #9
GIGEMLAW

GIGEMLAW is on a distinguished road

What I meant by Stack/L8 plus Steffanson was that Stack or L8 are interchangeable on the deal with Steffanson.

Looking at Orlando's roster, they do need a good uninjured SF - enter Stack. They are set at PF, but could use a L8 as a backup veteran to there PF Howard. Steffanson is just added youth to there team. Plus, Stef would be the bonus for giving up an expiring contract.

Personally, I would rather deal Stackhouse just to clear him off the books. I think Cuban is tired of not being able to go out and get a guy in free agency. Now, with the expring contracts of Cato, Walker, and Laetner that would be nearly $30 million off the books at the end of the year.

Then, you might see a buy-out of TAW, Delk, or Fortson's contract which could yield the Mavs anywhere from $2 to $20 million dollars in cap relief in future years. Add that up and we are setting with a young core looking for the next big FA to hit the market. Can anyone say Yao in 2006? He would be the last piece of the puzzle.

Yao
Dirk
Howard
Daniels
Harris

That's a solid 5 that will be tops in the West. Duncan will be past his prime by then. The only teams the Mavs would have to worry about are Denver and Utah, maybe Phoenix.
GIGEMLAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 05:30 PM   #10
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

how about a deal for cato that dumps more roster spots and can be done to day?

Dallas trades: Jon Stefansson ( ppg, rpg, apg in minutes)
PG Tony Delk (6.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 15.4 minutes)
SF Eduardo Najera (3.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 12.4 minutes)
Dallas receives: C Kelvin Cato (6.1 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 1.0 apg in 25.3 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -2.9 ppg, +2.3 rpg, and -0.3 apg.

Orlando trades: C Kelvin Cato (6.1 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 1.0 apg in 25.3 minutes)
Orlando receives: Jon Stefansson ( ppg, rpg, apg in games)
PG Tony Delk (6.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 33 games)
SF Eduardo Najera (3.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 58 games)
Change in team outlook: +2.9 ppg, -2.3 rpg, and +0.3 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 10:26 PM   #11
bigox71

bigox71 is on a distinguished road

the magic just got 2 tweener guards in the McGrady deal. why would they want another in Delk? Both the players in the McGrady deal also play point guard so why would they want Jon Steffanson?
bigox71 is offline   Reply With Quote