Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-17-2002, 06:31 AM   #1
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

Everybody on this board would have already heard about the tragedy that occurred on the Indonesian island of Bali over the past weekend. Officially, over 180 people have died. However, the death count is expected to go a lot higher. Bali was the most popular tourist destination amongst Australians, the beach, weather and people were always appreciated by visiting Australians.

I guess I never considered this such a tragedy until I got a phone call from my family tonight. One of our family friends is missing in Bali, presumed dead. Police arrived at another friends house to take DNA samples, she is also missing.

I know most of you went through this tragedy a little over a year ago, on an unimaginable scale.

I hope that you can keep us in your thoughts, Sunday is our national day of mourning.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2002, 08:01 AM   #2
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

My thoughts and prayers are with you in this very difficult time.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 08:08 AM   #3
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

yeah. it's a crazy time. I'll be praying for you and your family.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 08:27 AM   #4
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Australia is one of our closest friends. America will stand with you.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 01:53 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Word madape. The US and Australia will stand as one in times like this.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 05:01 PM   #6
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

ÜberDirk is on a distinguished road

that's awful Oz. But you do realize it's not just Aussies who died, don't you? A lot of them were euros, a few asians and americans.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:43 AM   #7
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I wish it wasn't this way, but it is: Americans are ALREADY apathetic to what is happening in Bali. I know not all of us, but we are so distraught when a terrorist action takes place on American soil, but when one of our friends takes a hit we, as citizens, kind of pretend it never happened...
sad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2002, 03:29 PM   #8
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

ocelot, im not american, but you shouldn't really make stereotypes. The VERY SAME can be said for other countries. If they are bombed, it's terrible, but if another country, alla US is bombed, they are apathetic. sad, but true about citizens of ALL countries [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2002, 02:44 AM   #9
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

<< I know not all of us >>

I'm not making stereotypes UD.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:00 AM   #10
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

I guess what im saying is citizens of all countries do this, not just Americans.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:07 AM   #11
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

o_a and UD, it is sad, but true as a predictable trait of all people.
Reread OzMavs post. Just like OzMavs, people rarely take things personally until things are actually personal. Maybe it's just a way of protecting ourselves from the pain and grief that we'd have to constantly endure if we really confronted all the tradgedy in the world.
It makes it all the more admirable when people do devote their lives to the reduction of tragedy.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 08:49 PM   #12
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

My hopes and prayers are with the victims of that heinous act. These cowardly terrorists aren't just the enemies of America or the Western world- they are the enemies of average decent people trying to make good lives for themselves... They certainly deserve all of the precision guided munitions they are begging for...

2000 lb. Guided Bomb Unit 27 (GBU-27) &quot;Have Void&quot; waiting to say hello to cowardly killers...
Old 10-21-2002, 09:11 AM   #13
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Oz,

Hadn't you been planning a trip to Bali? Were you supposed to be going soon?
Old 10-21-2002, 05:08 PM   #14
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

<< Oz,

Hadn't you been planning a trip to Bali? Were you supposed to be going soon?
>>

My brother and I were going, but will head up to some islands off Queensland instead.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote