Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-02-2004, 09:11 PM   #1
basketball jonessss

basketball jonessss is on a distinguished road
Default And the starting point guard should be....

Daniels.

Start Daniels at the point and let the kid be his backup. Anyone think Daniels can run the point for the Mavs?
Old 07-02-2004, 09:14 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: And the starting point guard should be....

Don't we already have a thread on this?
Old 07-02-2004, 09:16 PM   #3
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

If nothing else happens I would rather have it:

PG Icelander/Harris
SG Daniels/Finley
SF Finley/Howard

I don't think Daniels can handle it. But I do know he can be a good compliment to Harris and Jon. And from what I've read on Jon, he is a natural point guard. Daniels has never been that and probably never will become one.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 09:19 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think daniels can handle it either. He's a two guard in my book. He'll be adequate for middle parts of the game. But finished out the last 5 minutes, fuggedaboutit.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 10:08 PM   #5
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE:And the starting point guard should be....

I wouldn't be surprised if Daniels starts as PG the first 5-10 games, then the Mavs let Harris or Stefansson take over after they have logged some minutes in the NBA. I don't think Daniels should be the starting PG for very long...just long enough so the Mavs don't get pounded at the beginning of games when Harris and Stefansson are logging their first NBA minutes.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 10:30 PM   #6
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

The Mavs will be fine once they get Avery Johnson in here. I'd give him the LLE right now.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 12:10 AM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Harris has to be it and it'll be tough but for 42 games or more he may suck but we can't rely on Daniels.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 07:56 AM   #8
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

I would start with Harris. He's the future. It's sure any other team that had drafted him would start with him. Now Nash is not here, so... why don't believe in him?
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 09:57 AM   #9
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking that steffanson will beat out harris for the spot. But daniels will start unfortunately with finley as 2 and howard as 3. Man we're still messed up. No answer at pg, no answer at sf, no answer at c. Good grief.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-03-2004, 11:02 AM   #10
dude1394
Guru

Howard will show you how messed up he is at the three. He can't shoot man. Harris/Daniels/Stefansson have all of "0" games starting the point for an NBA team. "0". Yea we'll be just peachy, trading away a top 5 for a "0".

This tells you ALL you need to know about our PG situation. The best candidate right now is Jon Steffansson!!!! Come on you have to be kidding me.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:07 AM   #11
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

We will see how far his jumper has come this coming season. Howard is a defensive freak with his 7'5" wingspan. He sounds like the perfect three to me. Get a vet pg via trade, move harris along slowly until he is ready to be the man.

cry some more. You would be crying when you are paying nash 18 million dollars when he is 34.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 11:25 AM   #12
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
We will see how far his jumper has come this coming season. Howard is a defensive freak with his 7'5" wingspan. He sounds like the perfect three to me. Get a vet pg via trade, move harris along slowly until he is ready to be the man.

cry some more. You would be crying when you are paying nash 18 million dollars when he is 34.

Again you misunderstand my angst. I don't begrudge cubes NOT paying stevie. What I DO begrudge is his crappy management that let him get away for nothing. Yea, i'm crying about that and we all will be this year which will turn out to be another transition year.

But once you've messed up like cubes did getting to this point, you have to go ahead and take the risk for this year. You think jerry jones would have balked at paying the money...no way.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:17 AM   #13
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

JHo's not a good shooter, but he's got a few places on the floor where he's comfortable. He's also an unusually gifted playmaker in other aspects of the game. We're not set at SF like we were prior to the AJ trade, but with JHo, Fin, and Stack we've got enough solid players (even if two of them are more natural fits at the 2) and enough versatility that I'm not overly concerned about it. As for the point guards, I absolutely do NOT want to go out panicking about the position signing average veterans with long contracts just because I'm afraid to struggle through a few months with the kids learning. Unless we can turn one of our junk players into a Terry/Crawford type I'd prefer to get Avery as a stopgap on the court and a coach for the kids and let the kids get out there on the court and develop so we can figure out what we have in them.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:23 AM   #14
dude1394
Guru

Well howard was 5-13 last night. 1-3 from 3pt. So a little better than 33% about 40%.. Again I hope you are right...

My prediction however will be that daniels(if not steffanson) will be point, then stackhouse, then fin will be the starting backcourt.