Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-30-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold
Default Tim MacMahon

Did anyone else listen to his ESPN interview with the Kamenetzky brothers of ESPNLA? I found it on the Daily Dime Live for yesterday.

Wow did Tim seem to talk them into how terrible the Mavs were going to be matchup wise. He almost talks them into picking the Lakers in 5 instead of 6.

I know he is not a Mavs fan, but can we get rid of this guy?
Old 04-30-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Mavs are a horrible matchup for the Lakers, have you seen our backcourt?
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

You can expect everybody that picked the Blazers in that first round to overrate the Lakers now. Just because the Mavs didn't follow their picks.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Mac has always been a Mav hater....never understood hating the teams in your home city
Old 04-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
Fragism

Fragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by endrity View Post
Besides Kobe, who the Mavs can throw multiple good defenders at, the Lakers back court is really nothing special and doesn't outmatch the Mavs back court much at all.

I think the Mavs match up quite well with the Lakers tbh.
Fragism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

I'm not really trying to dissect the match-ups really, I was just commenting on the overall "the Mavs have no chance" interview that Tim gave. The Kamenetzky brothers were far more fair in there assessment of the Mavs chances.

He even mentioned that he predicted LA in 7 because he wanted to give the Mavs credit and put it a few more games than he though it would go.

It is ESPNDallas. It feels like we had a player on the team come out and say "We're pretty sure we are going to get killed". Can there be a hint of "I would like to see them win and am at least hopeful for our chances"
Old 04-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
PartywithDirk

PartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by endrity View Post
Wha?

Kidd's gonna post up fisher for 10+ every game this series. And that's just on post ups.

So then you have Blake? Brown? Give me a break. The only backcourt player they have that makes the Mavs (and everybody else) sweat is Kobe.

If you'd have said front court, then I might think you weren't high.
PartywithDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

MacMahon also picked the Blazers.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares????
Old 04-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartywithDirk View Post
Wha?

Kidd's gonna post up fisher for 10+ every game this series. And that's just on post ups.

So then you have Blake? Brown? Give me a break. The only backcourt player they have that makes the Mavs (and everybody else) sweat is Kobe.

If you'd have said front court, then I might think you weren't high.
The most important part about the front court matchups is that we have the best one on both teams. That is important. As long as we can D up on Bynum, Odom is going to be the X-factor in the series.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is wise and much easier on the blood pressure to not listen to anybody about anything pertaining to the Mavs. The fact is the players play and the has-beens or never-were's talk out their flabby asses 99% of the time.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

I'm also surprised that someone would point out our backcourt prior to a series against the Lakers as it relates to disadvantageous matchups. With the exception of Kobe, who could be a problem no matter what and against any team, players like Fisher, Blake and Brown don't scare me at all. In fact, this is the only matchup that could allow Kidd to convincingly outplay the opposing point guard.

I would think that Kobe and their frontcourt could be the deciding factor in this series. If we could contain Bynum/Gasol/Odom as good as possible and only allowed Kobe to be a star instead of an MVP, we'd be in a position to maybe upset some "experts" again.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
Scott McGuire

BGMaverick9: I posted this in the Mavs forum because probably 95% of us read the ESPN Dallas stuff and who else am I going to complain to. My wife really won't care.

Part of wanting your team to win is the recognition of being a good/great team. I listened to about 6 discussions on espn from PTI to 1st take to Chris Mullin and this MacMahon interview. The most pessimistic view of the Mavs chances came from Tim.

After the series begins all of this won't matter and I understand that.

Backcourt matchup problem... I think the backcourt will be a place where we can take advantage of whoever isn't Kobe. Defensively I see a big matchup problem with Kobe Bean. I sweat just thinking about the impending few times Peja will guard Kobe.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McGuire View Post
BGMaverick9: I posted this in the Mavs forum because probably 95% of us read the ESPN Dallas stuff and who else am I going to complain to. My wife really won't care.

Part of wanting your team to win is the recognition of being a good/great team. I listened to about 6 discussions on espn from PTI to 1st take to Chris Mullin and this MacMahon interview. The most pessimistic view of the Mavs chances came from Tim.

After the series begins all of this won't matter and I understand that.

Backcourt matchup problem... I think the backcourt will be a place where we can take advantage of whoever isn't Kobe. Defensively I see a big matchup problem with Kobe Bean. I sweat just thinking about the impending few times Peja will guard Kobe.
It's not even an attempt to pump my own chest, it holds true and it just common sense...there are other avenues to read Mavs news.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #15
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Both teams have the exact same weakness that chances are won't be exploited, Mavs and Lakers both struggle with quick PG's that can get into the lane, so that cancels each other out. Blake is a solid defender but I think that is a good matchup for him and Kidd defending Fisher wont have to spend a ton of energy and can post him up a lot. Obviously Kobe is going to get his, we need to make him into a volume scorer and not an effecient one (kind of like dirk was in the first 5 games). One of the big keys is Haywood he is the guy we have that matches up with Bynum be interesting to see how that plays out.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #16
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk View Post
I think it is wise and much easier on the blood pressure to not listen to anybody about anything pertaining to the Mavs. The fact is the players play and the has-beens or never-were's talk out their flabby asses 99% of the time.
+1
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #17
BGMaverick9
Guru

I would say my ass is not flabby...but otherwise, yeah.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #18
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Can only recommend to give blazersedge.com a look right now if you're searching for a more positive vibe. A lot of praise and "thumbs up" for our team. And a lot of "Beat L.A." in the comments
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #19
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see why the Lakers are a "bad match up" for the Mavs, other than the Lakers are just really, really good and have an excellent coach. Other than not having an attacking point guard who can make Fisher pay, the Mavs seem to match up with the Lakers as well as anyone possibly could. We've got a ton of size in the front court, situational size for the backcourt, a better and deeper bench (although Odom is better than Terry)...

If the Lakers are a horrible match up for the Mavs, I'm not sure which team is a "good" match up against the Lakers?

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #20
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I don't see why the Lakers are a "bad match up" for the Mavs, other than the Lakers are just really, really good and have an excellent coach. Other than not having an attacking point guard who can make Fisher pay, the Mavs seem to match up with the Lakers as well as anyone possibly could. We've got a ton of size in the front court, situational size for the backcourt, a better and deeper bench (although Odom is better than Terry)...

If the Lakers are a horrible match up for the Mavs, I'm not sure which team is a "good" match up against the Lakers?
I think the "ton of size in the front court" is misleading. Tyson Chandler has not shown that he can handle Bynum at all. And while I think Haywood can, Chandler is vital to this team. If he can't play 30 minutes a night and handle Bynum then it's a huge problem.

And the whole attacking point guard problem seems like a big deal. It's their biggest weakness by far and we can't exploit it.

I think Memphis and Oklahoma City both match up much better with LA than we do. Oklahoma City, in particular, has a starting center that has given LA fits, and a PG that they won't be able to guard.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #21
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I think the "ton of size in the front court" is misleading. Tyson Chandler has not shown that he can handle Bynum at all. And while I think Haywood can, Chandler is vital to this team. If he can't play 30 minutes a night and handle Bynum then it's a huge problem.

And the whole attacking point guard problem seems like a big deal. It's their biggest weakness by far and we can't exploit it.

I think Memphis and Oklahoma City both match up much better with LA than we do. Oklahoma City, in particular, has a starting center that has given LA fits, and a PG that they won't be able to guard.
And their biggest strength is their size, which we also have in bundles. I don't think it's "misleading" at all. We have a lot of size. It's just a fact. I hear you about Tyson, but we also hadn't shown in the regular season that we could do anything about the Blazers' big guards posting us up til kingdom come. Bynum will muscle him, to be sure, but we're still very fortunate to have all that size. It's up to Rick to help us maximize that asset.

Even if I give you OKC and Memphis, both of which I think are up for debate, the Mavs are still in a much better position than most of the teams in the NBA, and even most teams of the playoff pool. If "bad matchup" means something more nuanced than just "the Lakers are a really good team top-to-bottom that will be very hard to beat"--which I think it has to---then I just don't see how it's a bad matchup. I wouldn't say it's a great matchup, but we're as well equipped as just about anyone. The Lakers are just damn, damn good.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 04-30-2011 at 09:47 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #22
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Chandler has been great for the team, but he definitely has issues with thick centers. He's been having those issues all year. Haywood needs to step up and get it done.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 04-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #23
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
And their biggest strength is their size, which we also have in bundles. I don't think it's "misleading" at all. We have a lot of size. It's just a fact. I hear you about Tyson, but we also hadn't shown in the regular season that we could do anything about the Blazers' big guards posting us up til kingdom come. Bynum will muscle him, to be sure, but we're still very fortunate to have all that size. It's up to Rick to help us maximize that asset.

Even if I give you OKC and Memphis, both of which I think are up for debate, the Mavs are still in a much better position than most of the teams in the NBA, and even most teams of the playoff pool. If "bad matchup" means something more nuanced than just "the Lakers are a really good team top-to-bottom that will be very hard to beat"--which I think it has to---then I just don't see how it's a bad matchup. I wouldn't say it's a great matchup, but we're as well equipped as just about anyone. The Lakers are just damn, damn good.
I fully agree with your general vibe. Any team that is championship-calibre, as the Lakers certainly are, is going to present on-paper matchup problems for anyone, even other teams on their level.

As for specific matchups, I am indeed worried about that fat kid Bynum. Seems that we didn't have much answer for him the last time we played them. I am also worried that Artest might do some crazy stuff on Dirk. But at the same time, I am optimistic that Marion will throw some defense out there that will bother them, that Barea will drive by Fisher any time he wants to, and that Terry lights on fire and they have no answer for it.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

You know...I kind forgot about Artest. That's how freaking talented the Lakers are. In my opinion, the guy was on pace to be a top 20-25 player in the league before the brawl occurred.

Last edited by Murphy3; 04-30-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #25
tjeg

tjeg is on a distinguished road

The main problem when playing the lakers is that their margin of error is high, it fells like you have to play the perfect game to beat them.
Using the New Orleans series, the hornets played Four very good games and lost two and won the other two by a small margin, but the two they didn't play well they got blown out.
All I'm saying is it will be difficult to blow away the lakers like you did the blazers, so execution down the stretch will be very important.

NOTE: Dallas has to knock down more shots or these series might not even be close.
tjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #26
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjeg View Post
The main problem when playing the lakers is that their margin of error is high, it fells like you have to play the perfect game to beat them.
Using the New Orleans series, the hornets played Four very good games and lost two and won the other two by a small margin, but the two they didn't play well they got blown out.
All I'm saying is it will be difficult to blow away the lakers like you did the blazers, so execution down the stretch will be very important.

NOTE: Dallas has to knock down more shots or these series might not even be close.
Their margin for error will be far smaller against us than it was against the Hornets.
Far, far smaller.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #27
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I fully agree with your general vibe. Any team that is championship-calibre, as the Lakers certainly are, is going to present on-paper matchup problems for anyone, even other teams on their level.

As for specific matchups, I am indeed worried about that fat kid Bynum. Seems that we didn't have much answer for him the last time we played them. I am also worried that Artest might do some crazy stuff on Dirk. But at the same time, I am optimistic that Marion will throw some defense out there that will bother them, that Barea will drive by Fisher any time he wants to, and that Terry lights on fire and they have no answer for it.
You know JJ is gonna be hugely important in this series. He has to play better against the Lakers than he did in those last 2 regular season games. He had some untimely turnovers, didnt do a good job of running the offense and just seemed to be pressing. If he can get into the lane some and distribute it makes life easier for everyone. The Lakers length seems to give him fits.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:05 AM   #28
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Chandler has been great for the team, but he definitely has issues with thick centers. He's been having those issues all year. Haywood needs to step up and get it done.
I feel like he was very passive with Bynum and needs to fight harder to push him off the block. Bynum was basically catching it 3 feet from the basket. He was also camping out in the lane in Tyson's defense-- tough to defend against when a guy is allowed to get away with that.

I'm sure a HUGE part of what the coaching staff is doing in practice is focused on ways to slow down Bynum.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #29
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:

Yeah man, Dallas is definitely a team that needs a guy to step up and knock down some 3's... Peja, Kidd, Jet. As improved as the Mavs defense is, shutting down the Lakers, as opposed to the Blazers, is a whole different story.

If Jet can continue with this hot streak he's on then the Mavs have a great chance.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #30
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

without Bynum the Lakers dont scare me a bit, but if Bynum can have his way both in the post and on the boards, this team will have to have a lot of energy to team rebound, drive like crazy and pray for jumpers to go down.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #31
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
without Bynum the Lakers dont scare me a bit, but if Bynum can have his way both in the post and on the boards, this team will have to have a lot of energy to team rebound, drive like crazy and pray for jumpers to go down.
It's actually Odom that scares me. He sometimes takes some bad shots but when he's on The Lakers are just really tough to beat. What a luxury to have such a skilled, versatile all-around player off your bench. Matchup nightmare(wish this Mavs team had more of those)
Old 05-01-2011, 01:33 AM   #32
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
You know JJ is gonna be hugely important in this series. He has to play better against the Lakers than he did in those last 2 regular season games. He had some untimely turnovers, didnt do a good job of running the offense and just seemed to be pressing. If he can get into the lane some and distribute it makes life easier for everyone. The Lakers length seems to give him fits.
JJ needs to back off the penetration and distribute a little bit more. He needs to make some better decisions than I thought he did against the blazers.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:46 AM   #33
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
JJ needs to back off the penetration and distribute a little bit more. He needs to make some better decisions than I thought he did against the blazers.
??? you want him to not penetrate and distribute more? what just pass it around the perimeter? Barea needs to penetrate but he needs to penetrate more to pass in this series than shoot
Old 05-01-2011, 01:48 AM   #34
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:

I understand what you are saying but the talent levels aren't even close between NO and Dallas, New Orleans had who? Paul, Ariza (meh), Landry (inconsistent player), Bellinelli, Jack, and Okofar? Mavs have a lot more players that are able to score
Old 05-01-2011, 02:12 AM   #35
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
I understand what you are saying but the talent levels aren't even close between NO and Dallas, New Orleans had who? Paul, Ariza (meh), Landry (inconsistent player), Bellinelli, Jack, and Okofar? Mavs have a lot more players that are able to score
See I would've loved having Landry here. We could've played him at the 3 some to create matchup problems for other teams. Landry is quick enough to stay with Odom and Artest and also slide over on Gasol. He averaged 16ppg against the Lakers and was able to get to the line alot. He's quick for a PF and too big for alot of Small Forwards. Too bad we couldn't steal him.