Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-28-2005, 11:35 AM   #1
Big Lo

Big Lo will become famous soon enough
Default Is there anyone that talks D-Mavs Bball on the airwaves?

Is there any place to find a decent discussion regarding basketball in the dfw? im beginning to think that this cities airwaves are begining to be polluted by ticket lke franchieses and the like. im not saying its sad, but it seems like if i want any sort of intelligent discussion on mavs baskeball, i find it here. now even though i dont post as much, im here reading the forums at least a few times a day.
Unfortunatly i do know that this is a city of cowboys and rangers, and stars, but come on; cant the mavs get some love here? it seems that the grammys, emergency brakes, women, and anything short of monkeys riding dogs, gets more airtime than tha mavs. just one fans opinion. even though fish was a little odd, i did respect his devotion to the mavs, rather than just burning segments.
Big Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2005, 11:40 AM   #2
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Is there anyone that talks D-Mavs Bball on the airwaves?

The 103.3 are ripping mavs right now.
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
Big Lo

as always. its probably the laker lover. itll be over soon im sure. not that i dont respect his opinion but i do believe he can be a little biased sometimes, and think he knows more about the game than anyone else that may or may not call into the show.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice
Default RE: Is there anyone that talks D-Mavs Bball on the airwaves?

OMG, this morning was the most vicious ripping of the Mavs in a long, long time. It's just one game since the trade, goddammit!
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:48 AM   #5
Big Lo

what really drives me nuts is (and it really shouldnt) is that we get mroe baseball, football and hockey talk nonstop than we get one segement! im sure they dont all claim to be basketball idiots, but i should expect more. actually on a more positive note, i do enjoy listening to coop and norm. but during the days, there a serious dropoff.

i do respect norm opinion on a lot of things regarless of the topic, but to the ticket, he seems like more of a walking, talking punch line than a show host.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:49 AM   #6
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

what are they saying?

Are they ripping the trade or just the PHX game in general? Or, are they ripping Nellie, because they think he won't use the right line-ups at the right time?

If they are ripping the Mavs for the PHX game - lack of defense, clock management, shot selection and overall decision making, then its well deserved.

As far as the trade goes, I've been surprised at how many media heads are against it, considering CALVIN BOOTH is what the Mavs gave up (assuming all goes as planned).

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:56 AM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Norm frustrates me on Wednesday's with the Don...he seems to be more intent on being Nellie's friend and going off the beaten path than asking questions that hardcore Mavs fans want to know. Plus he overrates Amare by listing him in his top 5 over Dirk. There's no way he's a top 5 player when he can't average 10+ boards per game with his physical skills.

I actually like to listen to Bob and Dan on the Mavs, but if you’re not a fan of their shtick, there's a lot to fight through.

Coop and Ben and Skin are about as good as it gets for local basketball talk.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:59 AM   #8
Big Lo

i think people will always be skeptical of THE trade or anything that the mavs may make simply because of the fact that it doesnt directly address one of their primary concerns. considereing the fact that they increased their talent pool dramatically, as well as aquiring a decent backup at the pf position, theyres simply not much to dislike about this trade. i think it is just THE THING TO DO, as far as ripping the mavs, and it is far easier to tear apart something rather than find ways to improve and work with what you have.and that is exactly what management has done.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:02 PM   #9
Big Lo

shtick is a lot to fight through. personally i think listening to that station is almost like being on the outside of a continuously long inside joke.
Amare simply isnt going to be that sort of player till he begins to develop without the ball. although he is a nice player. he still hasnt learned to impact the game outside of being a scorer. till that happens he still behind jermaine o'neal to me.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:04 PM   #10
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Norm rips the Mavs just for the hell of it. Even if you disagree with him, I find him to be one of the most sincere guys on the radio.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 02-28-2005, 12:18 PM   #11
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Norm frustrates me on Wednesday's with the Don...he seems to be more intent on being Nellie's friend and going off the beaten path than asking questions that hardcore Mavs fans want to know. Plus he overrates Amare by listing him in his top 5 over Dirk. There's no way he's a top 5 player when he can't average 10+ boards per game with his physical skills.

Norm drives me crazy too. Instead of prodding Nellie for answers Norm is content to think of quirky questions that are different than everybody else asks. Norm like to feel special that he asked Nellie something noboby else has asked. He never asks Nellie who looks good at practice or who's injury is hurting them the most or info we need about the upcoming games.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:23 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Bob and Dan are talking Mavs for their second segment. The musers spent 2-3 segments on the Mavs this morning.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:26 PM   #13
Big Lo

double.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:26 PM   #14
Big Lo

i dont know its posible that i catch them at odd times, but i think i should make more of a concerted effort in the future. so i assume for future reference. that it was just me.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:33 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I actually like to listen to Bob and Dan on the Mavs, but if you’re not a fan of their shtick, there's a lot to fight through.

Coop talks basketball....but, I don't rate him high on knowledge...

As for Norm, he also put Lamar Odom on the same level or higher than Dirk this off season.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:42 PM   #16
Big Lo

[/quote]Coop talks basketball....but, I don't rate him high on knowledge...

As for Norm, he also put Lamar Odom on the same level or higher than Dirk this off season.[/quote]
the lamar odom comment is highly questionable. id like to know how they are making these assumptions because it seems to me that they are far from being made based on scoreboard but more so on talent and ability. if so then, odom may posses more skill, but what good is skill if it never developed or put to reasnably successfull use?
if that were the case then odum in a middle third sort of player who just hasnt come into his own and needs a few more season of him finding himself to me considered in that up echelon of players. sure he has this and that, but he has done nothing to suggest that he should even be considered.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:45 PM   #17
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:

As for Norm, he also put Lamar Odom on the same level or higher than Dirk this off season.

Everyone did that. Everyone felt that Odom was a 20/10/5 guy. After last season you can't knock anyone for thinking they were on the same level.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:49 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:
Quote:

Everyone did that. Everyone felt that Odom was a 20/10/5 guy. After last season you can't knock anyone for thinking they were on the same level.
Who's 'everyone'? I heard it from one person. Fill me in on who 'everyone' is.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:49 PM   #19
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

anyone that put Odom over Dirk was a fool, and I never saw anything where an analyst had done that. Dirk has been on the All-NBA team...Odom's never been in an all-star game. I didn't see anything in the media saying that...
Old 02-28-2005, 12:58 PM   #20
Big Lo

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

it easy to make assumption based on statistical information. just look at shawn bradley. but its not always then same on pen an paper than it is in the game.
on paper it should appear that he would be on that level, but i would say that a players impact cannot be measured by statistics alone. for what odom is, he cant be similarly cast in the same mold as dirk and vice versa. the same goes with timmy, shaq, and kevin. for what these guys do so well and so uniquely, its very hard to measure which one it better at a certain position when the position themselves are being redefined every season. to say hes better than dirk: at some things, yes. id say that you have to look at what a player can achieve as a whole, and then judge him on how successfull he is at what he does best, then put that against another players effectiveness in what he does; measure a players impact on a game and with his team; then you can say whether a player is better or not, when the positions they play are the same or very similar.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:05 PM   #21
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Who's 'everyone'? I heard it from one person. Fill me in on who 'everyone' is.

I'm referring to message boards I visit when I refer to "everyone". I wasn't the ones but there are some people out there who felt Odom was even better than Dirk. Check out Niketalk.com after everytime the Lakers face the Mavs. There was a big discussion on there who was the better player and alot of people said Odom. Those same people have apologized to the board though after watching Dirk put on a MVP-like season.

1996-2005
Old 02-28-2005, 01:08 PM   #22
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Lo
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

it easy to make assumption based on statistical information. just look at shawn bradley. but its not always then same on pen an paper than it is in the game.
on paper it should appear that he would be on that level, but i would say that a players impact cannot be measured by statistics alone. for what odom is, he cant be similarly cast in the same mold as dirk and vice versa. the same goes with timmy, shaq, and kevin. for what these guys do so well and so uniquely, its very hard to measure which one it better at a certain position when the position themselves are being redefined every season. to say hes better than dirk: at some things, yes. id say that you have to look at what a player can achieve as a whole, and then judge him on how successfull he is at what he does best, then put that against another players effectiveness in what he does; measure a players impact on a game and with his team; then you can say whether a player is better or not, when the positions they play are the same or very similar.

I've never thought Odom was better than Dirk but there are some out there who felt that. I don't hear anyone saying that now because everyone assumed Odom would flourish with Kobe and Dirk would die down a bit without Nash.

1996-2005
Old 02-28-2005, 01:12 PM   #23
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've never thought Odom was better than Dirk but there are some out there who felt that. I don't hear anyone saying that now because everyone assumed Odom would flourish with Kobe and Dirk would die down a bit without Nash.
There's that everyone again.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:13 PM   #24
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

this could get ugly real quick.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:15 PM   #25
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Quote:
There's that everyone again.
I guess you didn't see the some I had right before that.

1996-2005
Old 02-28-2005, 01:19 PM   #26
Big Lo

oh how we all hate to be grouped.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:53 PM   #27
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I guess you didn't see the some I had right before that.
I guess you didn't see the everyone you had right after the some.

Just giving you a hard time, FFM.

Edit: Here's my on-topic blurb for the sake of the sanctity of the thread. Pretty sad that the Mavs are getting ripped so much for what is obviously a no-brainer of a trade. It's so bad that Nellie has even set aside his usual down-playing, underdog act to classify the trade as one that unquestionably improves the team. I really hope the team's health comes together in time for them to have a fair shot at proving the doubters wrong.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:54 PM   #28
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Did I just hear Dale Hansen say that Dirk has shaved his head again? PLEASE tell me I am mistaken about this!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:56 PM   #29
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

I heard the same thing. Get ready for burr with headband.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:58 PM   #30
mary
Troll Hunter

Not to turn this into hair-talk or anything (too late), but I'll never forget Don Nelson's comment last year about Dirk's shaved head. It was something like "There was a whole lot of ugly underneath that hair. We didn't know he had that."

Old 02-28-2005, 02:01 PM   #31
Flip41

Maybe he rebelling against something. That is when I used to shave my head.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:01 PM   #32
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Not to turn this into hair-talk or anything (too late), but I'll never forget Don Nelson's comment last year about Dirk's shaved head. It was something like "There was a whole lot of ugly underneath that hair. We didn't know he had that."
That's freakin' hilarious. Maybe he figures without the hair he's more likely to get the call when his noggin gets knocked.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:13 PM   #33
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Dammit FFM...stop quoting 18 inches of thread. Just quote teh bit above want you want to talk about. Damn dude.

I think everyone (ironic huh?) else said what I was thinking on the other stuff.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:18 PM   #34
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Mabye Dirk got hot like Pedro.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:19 PM   #35
Flip41

Maybe, that's funny. Hopefully he doesn't go with the hair piece like the great Pedro.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:23 PM   #36
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

There's a great photoshop joke waiting to happen
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:40 PM   #37
GermanBlitzkrieg

GermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura about

Saw Dirk last night on Fox. Not a burr, just a real short cut. Looked o.k. to me, but I'm a guy.

Ripping this team right now is just assinine. We're still 4th, etc,. Health of Damp in time for few games before the playoffs is key. And, Dirk does need some rest. Hopefully, between KVH and Hendu coming back, he can play less minutes.

Man, excepting present health problems, this team should have people jazzed! A no call away from victory against Pheonix, and you'd think the world was crashing!

Oh well, GO MAVS!
Old 02-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #38
Flip41

Bob and Dan ripping the mavs right now.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:27 PM   #39
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm listening to Bob and Dan right now. Normally I have a lot of respect for their opinions, but in this case I am shocked by their complete lack of contact with reality. They have said so many ridiculous things, it would take me all day to address them all.

It's easy to find cliches and outdated opinions about the Mavs on the radio. It's hard to find intelligent analysis.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:39 PM   #40
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

They're driving me nuts as well, and I LOVE BaD radio.

I think Bob's way off base in saying that KVH will steal minutes from Damp once he comes back. If he does, there will be riots.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote