V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about
Default Terry takes on sixth man role with optimism

Terry takes on sixth man role with optimism

Point guard eager to 'sacrifice' in exchange for team's success

10:42 PM CST on Sunday, October 31, 2004

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Jason Terry isn't holding a grudge at being replaced by Devin Harris as the starting point guard for the Mavericks.

In fact, he's ready to embrace the move.

"Anybody who looks at the history of me, that's where I made my name," Terry said. "With my energy and leadership coming off the bench with that second group, that's going to be exactly what we need."

Terry was a sixth man for much of his rookie season. But that was with a poor team in Atlanta, and he quickly was promoted to the starting position. When he joined the Mavericks in the Antoine Walker trade this summer, he was penciled into the starting lineup. But as Don Nelson said, pencils come with erasers.

"It's a change from what I thought I'd be doing, but I love Terry coming off the bench with [Jerry] Stackhouse," Nelson said. "And we'll bring Marquis Daniels off the bench, too."

That means the starting lineup on Tuesday against the Sacramento Kings will be Erick Dampier, Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Finley on the front line with Josh Howard and Harris in the backcourt.

Terry said after five losing seasons in Atlanta, he'll do anything to ensure success for the team.

"When you have a winning team, somebody has to make a sacrifice," he said. "And that person is me. The biggest difference is we're going to be winning. I'll trade that for anything."

Daniels likely to play: Marquis Daniels missed all eight preseason games with an ankle sprain, but coach Don Nelson expects the 6-6 swingman to be available for Tuesday's opener.

Daniels practiced extensively Sunday. While he had his left ankle wrapped in ice afterward, he said he's made big improvement.

"I can't do everything, but I can do a lot more than I could a week ago," Daniels said. "It's just a matter of getting a lot more strength back in my ankle. I'm trying not to aggravate it too much and trying not to baby it too much."

Nelson said he expects to have a full complement of players for the opener, which is a little surprising given that the preseason was filled with nagging injuries.

"He's been very good in practice," Nelson said of Daniels. "He's not even 100 percent, but I forgot how good he is."

That sentiment was echoed by Jason Terry.

"He's so good, it's scary," Terry said. "And he's so smooth. You don't know he's even out there."

Briefly: This is the second year in a row that the Mavericks appear to have hit it big with rookies. Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels both were key contributors last season, and Devin Harris now has a chance to do the same. "We stayed out of the high-school pool," Michael Finley said. "The guys we've drafted had a lot of college experience. They're always a step ahead. I just hope he [Harris] doesn't think this is over as far as working hard. It gets harder." ... Dan Dickau is expected to be the third member of the injured list, joining Pavel Podkolzin and Tariq Abdul-Wahad.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2004, 12:20 AM   #2
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future
Default RE: Terry takes on sixth man role with optimism

STARTING FIVE = TALL BALL

Wow, I wonder how long before Daniels makes it into the starting Lineup.

OTOH - Glad Howard will get the start - he's earned it with his preseason play.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:24 AM   #3
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Eddie Sefko? What the hell? How does this guy have a job? Michael Finley's a 3 and Josh Howard's a 2? You MIGHT have that backwards, there, douce.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:26 AM   #4
V
Golden Member

"He's so good, it's scary" -- Jason Terry on Marquis Daniels

My sports pants are going crazy.

-- Don Nelson
Old 11-01-2004, 01:11 AM   #5
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Man, I hope Terry is our backup PG for the next five years. His comments define professionalism and enthusiasm. Awesome.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:22 AM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"It's a change from what I thought I'd be doing, but I love Terry coming off the bench with [Jerry] Stackhouse," Nelson said. "And we'll bring Marquis Daniels off the bench, too."
A little confusing. Is this quote from Nelson about the opener or for the season?
Old 11-01-2004, 01:32 AM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Terry takes on sixth man role with optimism

if that's for the near future and not just for the Sac game, then we have a 1 and 2-2s coming off the bench?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:37 AM   #8
samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"Anybody who looks at the history of me, that's where I made my name," Terry said. "With my energy and leadership coming off the bench with that second group, that's going to be exactly what we need."
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss sss!!!!!

If ya dont know now ya know.

Terry is freakin' ugly. I'm lovin' it.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:38 AM   #9
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Stack can play the three, EL.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:39 AM   #10
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-01-2004, 01:43 AM   #11
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

As can Quis, for that matter, though I agree with her in principle. The two guys on the roster best suited physically to play SF are both starting. In practice I don't think it will be a huge issue, though. Nellie's not likely to simply sub the entire second unit 1/2/3 in at the same time. He'll stagger them in differently on different nights as the matchups dictate.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:49 AM   #12
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
as the matchups dictate.
ah yes, I forgot, Nellie the genius.

Old 11-01-2004, 01:50 AM   #13
samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
?
At school ugly has been added to those words like sick, bad, diguisting etc. And Terry is the ugliest of the ugly.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:52 AM   #14
sike
The Preacha

how I loved Jr. high...it was ugly indeed. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2004, 02:29 AM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And he's so smooth. You don't know he's even out there.
That's the thing about Marquis. He has those sleepy eyes and he's so smooth that he doesn't look quick...just kind of lulls you sleep. I remember the game in Minny where we got blasted. One of the few highlights was Marquis pushing the ball on the break as the defender was running with him. Just before he gets to the ft line, he shifts gears, leaves the defender and goes in for the dunk. The T-Wolve crowd and the announcers freaked out since they weren’t expecting it.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:55 AM   #16
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: samoan-maverick
Quote:
Quote:
?
At school ugly has been added to those words like sick, bad, diguisting etc. And Terry is the ugliest of the ugly.
church.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:57 AM   #17
V
Golden Member

steeple

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

-- Don Nelson
Old 11-01-2004, 10:11 AM   #18
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:
And he's so smooth. You don't know he's even out there.
That's the thing about Marquis. He has those sleepy eyes and he's so smooth that he doesn't look quick...just kind of lulls you sleep. I remember the game in Minny where we got blasted. One of the few highlights was Marquis pushing the ball on the break as the defender was running with him. Just before he gets to the ft line, he shifts gears, leaves the defender and goes in for the dunk. The T-Wolve crowd and the announcers freaked out since they weren’t expecting it.
the Matt Jones of the NBA
Old 11-01-2004, 11:18 AM   #19
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really excited about the Daniels news. I love watching him play because he is so silky smooth.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:23 AM   #20
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

"He's been very good in practice," Nelson said of Daniels. "He's not even 100 percent, but I forgot how good he is."

That sentiment was echoed by Jason Terry.

"He's so good, it's scary," Terry said. "And he's so smooth. You don't know he's even out there."
I like Nelson's line about forgetting how good he is. I think we tend to forget as well because we haven't seen him play lately, but let's remember that there was a reason that he basically turned into our second scoring option at the very end of the season.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-01-2004, 11:31 AM   #21
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Rookie among Mavs' starting five

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - Don Nelson doesn't normally start rookies, but according to the Mavericks coach, Devin Harris has a chance to be much better than normal.

Nelson named Harris his starting point guard for Tuesday night's season opener against Sacramento at American Airlines Center. It's a break from tradition for Nelson, but not entirely unexpected.

"We might have a very special point guard in the making," Nelson said Sunday after practice.

Internally, the Mavs have debated the pros and cons of inserting the touted rookie into the starting lineup. Harris, selected by Washington with the fifth pick of the draft and traded to the Mavs in the Antawn Jamison-Jerry Stackhouse deal, worked behind Jason Terry for most of the preseason.

Harris was on the first team for the last three exhibition games; Terry missed two games after having his wisdom teeth extracted and came off the bench for the other game.

Harris' confidence and execution level seemed to rise with each game.

He averaged 8.5 points, 3.0 assists and 15 minutes through the first two preseason games, then 14.6 points, 4.8 assists and 37.6 minutes in his last five. Harris also led the league with 22 steals.

"He's definitely played well this preseason," said Terry, who added that he's fine with the move. "With either of us, we can't go wrong. We both bring a lot of similarities to the game. What I like about him [is] he's fearless."

Though Terry also had a solid preseason, averaging 13.2 points and 4.3 assists per game, Nelson decided to follow his gut instinct.

Harris will start alongside Michael Finley in the backcourt, with small forward Josh Howard, power forward Dirk Nowitzki and center Erick Dampier.

"The skill that [Harris] possesses, it's kind of hard to find those skills," Nelson said. "I just think that he has a gift that he could really be good. I think he'll be our point guard for many, many years here. It makes us a better team, plus it's the thing to do for the future."

Harris, the Big Ten Player of the Year last season at Wisconsin, found out about the promotion after Friday's practice.

"It's a good step forward," he said. "I'm looking forward to the opportunity and trying to make the most out of it."

The Mavs have impressed upon the 21-year-old that earning the starting nod is just the beginning.

"I hope he doesn't think it's over, as far as working hard," said Finley, also a Wisconsin product. "It gets harder as a starter."

Terry came off the bench his rookie season with Atlanta before earning a starting spot. He has averaged 16.2 points and 5.5 assists per game over his five-year career, and Nelson hopes Terry can provide a spark with the suddenly potent second unit.

"When you have a winning team, somebody has to make a sacrifice," Terry said. "That person is me. I'm going to make that sacrifice, and, hopefully, it will be the one that makes us win the championship."

On the mend

Marquis Daniels (sprained left ankle) and Jerry Stackhouse (right thigh contusion) continue to make progress, and could be available sooner than anticipated.

Daniels participated in all but about 15 minutes of Sunday's practice, and impressed the coaching staff.

Daniels said the key now is to avoid aggravating the injury, but also not to "baby" it.

"He's not even 100 percent," Don Nelson said. "I forgot how good he is."

Stackhouse went through the entire practice, and there is optimism he could play Tuesday.

The Mavs said Michael Finley, who sat out the last four exhibition games because of a sore right hamstring, will be in the starting lineup Tuesday.

Roster moves expected

Reserve guard Dan Dickau will likely join rookie center Pavel Podkolzin and Tariq Abdul-Wahad on the injured list to open the season.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:33 AM   #22
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
there was a reason that he basically turned into our second scoring option at the very end of the season.
because he'd personally take the shot on every break? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2004, 11:47 AM   #23
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
there was a reason that he basically turned into our second scoring option at the very end of the season.
because he'd personally take the shot on every break? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
yeah, but he did make quite a few of those as well [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-01-2004, 01:23 PM   #24
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

He turned into our second [passing is not an] option scorer.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2004, 05:57 PM   #25
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

This is great news. I'm really liking the energy we'll be seeing off of the bench. Any other team we face is going to have problems with our depth.

Congrats to Harris

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 07:24 PM   #26
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road

Wish there was a way for fans to show their support for professionals like Terry... seems like they're on their own when it comes to dealing with such a blow. (it truly is a blow, no matter how well they accept it)

I feel like the only way to reward such a professional is 6MOY, but only 1 guy gets it and we know there are at least a couple guys that deserve some recognition for setting an example as a professional and not some greedy minute/money-grubbing head-case

- Brian
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 07:50 PM   #27
sike
The Preacha

I guess they'll have to cry their tears on their pillow made of money, Brian [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2004, 08:06 PM   #28
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Stackhouse went through the entire practice, and there is optimism he could play Tuesday.

WOW....that's great news. It's funny how these nagging injuries seem to all heal up right before the start of the season. Either way, it's good to hear that Stack and Quis are doing better and may be able to contribute.

.....keeping it on topic. No matter what happens with Harris and his replacement of Terry as the starter I hope we don't start seeing trades involving JT. He's been nothing but class since being delt here. We could always use a man of his talents either as a starter or a key contributer off the bench. I hope he keeps the good attitude up, because wether he's starting or not he should receive pretty much the same amount of playing time.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 09:29 PM   #29
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

This move really makes lots of sense.

Harris will be expected to be a defensive PG, and not carry the offensive load with the starters. Then they have 3 defensive minded players in Harris, Howard, and Damp to start the game, with two offensive minded players in Dirk and Fin as the 1-2 offensive options.

This leaves the second string with Terry, and Stack, Daniels (when he returns) as the offensive options, and the Booth/Henderson, Bradley/Benga as defensive options.

If you start Terry, he is at best the third option, and possibly the fourth behind Dampier as well.

If you bring him off the bench, he is the 1, 2, or 3 option always.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 09:59 PM   #30
Mavs414

Mavs414 is on a distinguished road

i hate this i wanted jason terry to start
Old 11-01-2004, 10:29 PM   #31
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

Wow. So far Terry is coming off as really cool dude. I hope he has a chance to make a career winning championships with the mavs. His attitude is simply top notch.

Daniels is illmatic..

JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote