Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hollinger's Game Day Chat

John Hollinger: Good morning from Dallas everyone, where it's boiling hot and we're almost ready to tip things off. On to the questions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Timmy C (DC): Do you think the NBA could have a steriod/HGH scandal?

John Hollinger: This is the exact question I want to ask the commish at his state of the union address tomorrow. Basketball's drug policy is light years ahead of baseball's, but it still seems to me that if there's no test for it, players might feel much less disincentive to use it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jason (TX): Yesterday in Bucher's chat, someone asked when all you guys get together, who catches the most crap? The consensus was you. Is that true?
Chris, Germany: Love Dirk, but think that Shaq will simply kill the Mavs tonight and in any game with days off, your thoughts?

John Hollinger: He had plenty of days off in the first three rounds, and still fell a good ways short of the Shaq from LA. Get your heads around this folks -- the big fella can still get 25 and 10 most nights, but the days of him singlehandedly trashing the Nets and Sixers are long gone.
Stephen (Dallas): Will sending Van Horn to match up with Shaq in an attempt to get Shaq to play perimeter defense be effective?

John Hollinger: I doubt it will have much staying power, but it might be a good gimmick in spots if it can get an extra foul on Shaq.
pat(Milwaukee): You never answered this when I asked months ago, preventing me from looking smart now. But do you feel like you were too harsh on Diop in your Hollinger stats blurb, and that he was a perfect candidate for a "second draft" break-out player?

John Hollinger: Things always seem much clearer in retrospect. At the time, Diop had played four years without showing any improvement and had only stayed in the league for the final two because he had a guaranteed contract. Give him credit for turning things around, but I don't regret what I said about him.
Jon (Canada): Will we see Hack-A-Shaq tonight? I'm guessing Josh Powell will be doing the hacking

John Hollinger: We'll see it in the series, but only in games where Miami has the lead. I'd think Van Horn would probably get the assignment.
Jeff, Chicago: Hey, you didn't answer the "who gets the most crap" question.

John Hollinger: Ah, the wonders of technology. I had thought I put it in a queue, and it turns out I'd already posted it. As Bucher mentioned yesterday, we're scattered all over -- he's by the Bay, I'm in Atlanta, Chad's in Hawaii, Sheridan's in NYC, and Stein Line HQ is right here in Dallas. So we haven't all gotten together to give each other crap.
Joe, Chicago: I don't see how Shaq stays out of foul trouble this series. The Bulls gave the heat fits with their penetration mixed with shooters. Won't the Mavs be able to do what the Bulls did only better? I can't believe how many people are picking Miami. Mavs in 5 maybe 6.

John Hollinger: Foul trouble for Shaq is a grave concern for the Heat, because Dallas has so many guys who slash to the rim and draw contact. They'll definitely be using Chicago as a blueprint.
RK (motown): You expect the pistons to re-sign Ben Wallace??

John Hollinger: I do, but part of it depends on the lunacy of others. If Atlanta jumps in offering six years at the max, I don't think Dumars matches it.
Zac (Columbia, MO): Can't the second best center of the last 10 years take Dirk or Van Horn in the post? Ya they will run circles around him if he plays them on defense, but shouldnt he be pretty effective on offense himself against those guys?

John Hollinger: That's why you'll only see that lineup in selected moments -- if the Mavs are behind late, or if Dampier and Diop get fouls.
Evan (TX): Do you see Dirk as MVP anytime soon?

John Hollinger: He could easily have been this year, and I think these playoffs will make voters more likely to vote for him in the future.
Khurrum, Toronto: Who do you think the Raptors will draft with the first pick? Can LaMarcus Aldridge play the 5 in the NBA?

John Hollinger: The more interesting question isn't who they will pick, but who will do the picking. Most folks seem to think Bargnani is Toronto's guy, but they may trade down first.
Brian (Fort Worth): have you read the Stephen Levitt book Freakonomics? You take the emotional aspect out of predictions and give us the cold hard facts. That said, I like your Mavs pick. Genius.

John Hollinger: I read Freakonomics -- actually I majored in economics in college, so it's great to see a best-selling book make it sound cool.
Bryan (Fayetteville, AR): Is Shawn Marion overrated as a All-NBA 3rd team? He is lost without Nash on the court, and either hits wide-open 3-pointers with no one near him, or wide-open lay-ups via the assistance of Steve Nash sucking in defenders on a pick-n-roll.

John Hollinger: Don't let a bad playoffs get you too down on him. Marion's stats with Marbury weren't much different, and as I recall he was one of the US's best players in Athens.
Paul (Portland, OR): Hi John. In non-playoff news, there is finally agreement that the Blazers and their Rose Garden arena will be sold together. Would new ownership clean-house as far as the President, Steve Patterson, etc.? I would think they retain Nate McMillan as coach.

John Hollinger: In general, that's how it goes. New ownership wants to bring in its own management, which spells trouble for Patterson. Then new management wants to bring in its own coach, which spells trouble for McMillan. But all that is moot until they find an actual buyer.
Jonathan (Brooklyn): I bet Stein would get more crap than you John.

John Hollinger: Thanks ... I think.
Rick(Memphis): What moves this summer do you see my Grizz making if any at all? I would like to see them go after Jared Jefferies, sign and trade for Mohammad, work on a trade for AI. Do you see any of this happening?

John Hollinger: Mohammed seems to be an obvious target, but keep in mind they have little to spend because of their financial situation (not salary cap, finances). Hopefully management will authorize using the midlevel to go after a big man.
Jon (NY): One of the reasons Dirk didn't win the MVP this year when he was completely worthy of it, is because writers and individuals in general, subconsciously wouldn't think or want a European winning it, when all accounts of them are they are ''soft'' and are foreign.

John Hollinger: I don't think it was anything nearly as blatantly biased as that. I think it was just that folks developed their impression of Dirk based on the No-D Mavs of a couple years ago, and it's only by seeing him game after game in the playoffs that many have changed their opinion.
Kevin (Miami): There has been endless talk about the Heat having no answer for Dirk. One logical way to do so would be to go zone for stretches. I know that Riley does not like the zone, but do you think he will suck it up and give it a shot?

John Hollinger: I know Riley doesn't like it, but I think you're likely to see zone any time Jason Terry is off the floor just because it's the only way to control the match-ups. If Miami does play zone, watch Dampier on the offensive glass -- he's one of the best, and zones make it tough to block out.
Kiran, Dallas, TX: I think Pat Riley will be the X factor, which will be key factor for Miami winning it all. What's your take on it?

John Hollinger: Last I checked, he couldn't guard Dirk. Which gives him something in common with his players.
Jeremy (Springdale): How can I expect to see Alonzo Mourning used in this series?

John Hollinger: Very carefully. The key question is if Avery goes small once Mourning checks in, who is there for Zo to guard? I can't imagine him staying with Nowitzki, or even Van Horn -- plus, that removes his shot-blocking from the equation -- and it may be a choice between those two and Howard. The other option is to play zone, so we could see some of that.
Brett (New Jersey): John, what do you see as the single biggest factor in the NBA finals. I see it was Jason Williams having to make open threes on one end and having to guard Jason Terry on the other. (Which is why I'm going with Dallas.)

John Hollinger: The biggest factor will always be Dirk and Wade, because those two take the most shots and have the ball the most. But I agree with your general assessment that the point guard matchup will be important, for the reasons you mention. Williams and Payton can't count on much help from the bigs against the pick-and-roll, so there could be some long nights ahead of them.
Jason, Ames: I wanna see you and the sports guy battle it out in a chat: logic vs emotions. Anyways: Does it surprise you with everyone taking Miami. Especially when they are all talking about Shaq. He isn't going to beast Dallas and the style and fouls will only allow him to play 35 minutes and most of them he will be tired.

John Hollinger: Actually, given how differently we come at things, I'm amazed how often we reach similar conclusions. As far as the style of play, that may be a bit overrated in this series. Dallas isn't going to be playing Terry and Harris together much because one of them would have to get abused by Wade, so as a result they'll play slower than they did against the Spurs.
Jon, Houston: Do you think we could see little used Shandon Anderson and Derek Anderson in this series because of match-ups. (Dallas going small when Shaq is on the bench?)

John Hollinger: Yes, especially Shandon -- I think he might get a few minutes against Dirk, and could see substantial minutes against Stackhouse.
San Luis Obispo, California: Hey John, Going back to the MVP question. I've always wondered why they vote on MVP before the end of the Playoffs. If Dirk has shown everyone these playoffs he's worthy why don't they change they system to give the MVP based on Playoffs as well as the season. He clearly outplayed Nash, the MVP, this year.

John Hollinger: I actually think making that change would have the opposite effect -- since even the most ardent among us sees only about 1/10th of each team's games in the regular season, but virtually all their playoff games, it would completely overwhelm whatever happened in those first 82 games and we'd get even more bad votes than we do now. That said, the WCF did sort of make this year's vote look ridiculous, but I've probably spoken enough on that topic already.
Mark (Tampa, FL): Do people really think that Harris or Howard can do what the Pistons weren't able to, and that is stop Dwayne Wade?

John Hollinger: Here's the thing -- if Miami puts up the exact same offensive numbers they did against Detroit, they'll lose, because Dallas is so much more potent than the May/June model of the Pistons. So the issue isn't really stopping Wade as much as limiting him -- making him commit a few turnovers and miss some shots en route to his 25 points.
Jim, Montreal: Interesting, You said they could have Terry and Harris on the floor. Would you say Kirk Hinrich is a much better defender than Harris, because Kirk he gave Wade some troubles.

John Hollinger: Yes, but Dallas also has more options than the Bulls did. Chicago really had no choice but to play Hinrich on Wade.
Jane, Atlanta: WCF?

John Hollinger: Western Conference Finals. Sorry if not everyone caught that.
Kevin (Miami): Why doesn't the NBA take the best three referees based on their rankings and have them work the entire finals?

John Hollinger: Because of the fear that Bennett Salvatore might accidentally end up in that group .... OK, I'm exaggerating, but because some refs are much more whistle-happy (and T-happy) than others, one team might end up with a huge advantage if the wrong crew were assigned to all seven games. So it's better to mix and match, even if it means some "lesser" officials get into the mix.
Bob - Spokane: If Miami wins, will Zo retire or go somewhere else where he will get substantial minutes?

John Hollinger: I would think he'd strongly consider retiring, but he hasn't said anything about it yet.
Keith Van Horn, TX: Is it possible for me to stay on the bench the entire series? Is there any way for me to actually choke FROM the bench?

John Hollinger: You're being too harsh on the poor lad. A better question would be this:If Dallas wins, will KVH talk trash about his ring when he faces Kenyon Martin next year?
John (KY): Why can't both the press and the players vote on MVP, wouldn't this result in a more well rounded vote?

John Hollinger: The history of players voting for things, in almost every sport, has always ended up with people looking back and saying some variation of "well it sounded like a good idea at the time"
William (Fort Worth): Finals MVP prediction... ?

John Hollinger: Wayne Simien. Nobody sees it coming except me.

John Hollinger: OK, Dirk. Gotta be Dirk.
Stevo (Ft. Lauderdale, FL): Why do they still allow "Knick" Bavetta to be involved with games? He's pathetic.

John Hollinger: Gimme a break, he blew one call. He's been one of the best for ages.
Dave (Sacto): Bucher says the Kings are now irrelevant in West after hiring Mussellman. You agree?

John Hollinger: How relevant were they before? Everybody sees the West as a three-horse race next year between Dallas, San Anto and Phoenix. Regardless of what Musselman does, Sacto doesn't join that group without a frontcourt defender and either a re-signed Bonzi or a suitable replacement.
Carlos (Miami, FL): Why are so many people writting off the Heat again. Dont people realize, with as badly as they played, Detroit was still the best team in the NBA. We took 'em out and now people still think Miami is going down. Can the Heat get some respect for what they have done and not write them off?

John Hollinger: I don't think Miami is getting "written off" -- most people seem to see this going six or seven games. But given that Dallas won 60 games to Miami's 52 and beat the stuffing out of them twice head-to-head, don't you think the burden of proof is on Miami to demonstrate they're the better team?
Tim Duncan (SA): Enough of the Dirk MVP talk, now that my feet aren't killing me, I'm winning it again next year John.

John Hollinger: I could easily see that happening. TD looked absolutely awesome against Dallas, which made it even more impressive that the Mavs still were able to win.
Sean (San Jose, Costa Rica): Bavetta isn't bad, but he's pretty annoying...I've never seen a ref make more of a spectacle of himelf on the floor than Bavetta does.

John Hollinger: Couldn't disagree more -- watch Joey Crawford some time if you're looking for a spectacle.

John Hollinger: Folks, that's all the time I have, but BJ Armstrong is waiting at the scorer's table. Enjoy the game and we'll do this again next week.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kiran, Dallas, TX: I think Pat Riley will be the X factor, which will be key factor for Miami winning it all. What's your take on it?

John Hollinger: Last I checked, he couldn't guard Dirk. Which gives him something in common with his players.
That's funny.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
John Hollinger: Couldn't disagree more -- watch Joey Crawford some time if you're looking for a spectacle.
Best quote in the entire read.........LOL
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Great read...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That said, the WCF did sort of make this year's vote look ridiculous
Yep
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote