Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-28-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default Mavs at Grizzlies: 31-13

Dallas 103, Memphis 84. Easy win for the short-handed Mavs tonight against a really bad Memphis team. The Dallas offense looked fantastic. The Dallas defense was also very good. The Grizzlies defense looked horrible. Good job by the Mavs on the boards too (+14). My only complaint would be that I would have liked the starters to get a little more rest. Dallas fooled around the let the Grizzlies get a 30 point lead under 20, and I don't think Avery wanted to let it get much closer, so the starters got a few more minutes than I would have liked to have seen.

Double-double for Damp with 11 and 12 in 36 minutes. I thought Diop was good off the bench too in his limited time.

Dirk was very good and very efficient once again with 20 and 11. The numbers aren't huge, but he really has morphed into a Tim Duncan type player as far as his impact is concerned. He doesn't have to score 30 or put up monster numbers to destroy the opponent, but he's basically unguardable.

Quiet game for Bass. His shot wasn't dropping.

Josh was brilliant in the first half. It didn't seem like he was ever going to miss on his way to 21 points in the first 24 minutes. He finished with 26, and that wasn't because he didn't play much in the second half. He just missed.

Hassell continues to do his job well in his playing time. He had 6 and 4 tonight, and he didn't miss a shot. His defense was very good as always too.

A couple more threes from Eddie Jones and more good defense. His role isn't glorified, but he does it well.

Devean George got some time again tonight, and he looked better than I expected.

Jet became the starting point guard with Devin sidelined. Nothing really changed for him though. He still did his thing.

JJ is actually the biggest benefactor of Devin being out, and he continues to do well when he gets on the floor. He had 9 more points tonight, and he seemed very comfortable in the free flowing game that Memphis wants to play.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddh33
Josh was brilliant in the first half. It didn't seem like he was ever going to miss on his way to 21 points in the first 24 minutes. He finished with 26, and that wasn't because he didn't play much in the second half. He just missed..
maybe someone needs to tell Josh the games start an hour later than they really do. So that he'll show up thinking he's there to start the first half, and actually end up playing well for the 2nd half of a basketball game.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:53 PM   #3
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddh33
Josh was brilliant in the first half. It didn't seem like he was ever going to miss on his way to 21 points in the first 24 minutes. He finished with 26, and that wasn't because he didn't play much in the second half. He just missed.
Is there some website that lists 1st half - 2nd half stats for players? I'd love to see the comparison for Josh over the last 2 years. It's amazing how he makes every half open 15 to 23 footer in the first quarter, but rarely in the 4th quarter.
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Hassell played very well in the minutes he got tonight, very efficient and played hard. Nice win, and the Spurts lost. We just need Devin to get healthy and prepare for the Celts.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Second game in a row I didn't get to watch because of my f****ing goddamn job! But oh well, good to know the team took care of business in Devin's absence.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:02 AM   #6
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
maybe someone needs to tell Josh the games start an hour later than they really do. So that he'll show up thinking he's there to start the first half, and actually end up playing well for the 2nd half of a basketball game.
This is an old pattern for Josh. Two playoffs ago, you might recall that the Spurs used Bowen to guard Josh Howard in the first half and Dirk in the second half...

The NBA is not ignorant of this pattern.

It is rare for Josh to show the same ability to score in the second half although I have seen it before. I think Josh plays so hard on both sides of the ball that his jump (and jumpshot) are a bit weak later in the game. I also think his team mates and coach turn to Dirk, Terry, Stack, Devin more predictably in the closing chapters of each game.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #7
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

So....is Josh Marion Barber? Is it conditioning? What is it?

If he played like he does in the 1st quarter, in the 3rd quarter, wouldn't he average 30 a game? I can't believe that they're content to just say "oh well, that's the way it is."

The dude is an absolute stud...he just needs to keep it up. I've become so accustomed to seeing it happen now, I don't even think of Josh in the 3rd/4th quarter....like in my mind, that's not his job. But why the hell isn't it his job?

I am ignorant.....explain basketball to me.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 01-29-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:11 AM   #8
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

I think Josh is trying to impress the coaches in a last minute all star bid. I hope he makes it. He looked unstoppable in the first half.

Its good to see JJ getting some more minutes with Harris out. I think that will be very beneficial later in the year.

Diop is looking better lately. You think it might have something to do with the fact that Avery is giving him a chance to play?

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:28 AM   #9
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

12 of 14?

(or 17 of 21)

[win-loss, just to catch you up]

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-29-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:33 AM   #10
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

multiposts...

Last edited by Underdog; 01-29-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:33 AM   #11
Underdog

Anyone notice that we only have 3 less wins (but 5 losses more) than the Celtics? We're one of five teams in the NBA with over 30 wins so far...

Last edited by Underdog; 01-29-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:21 AM   #12
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Anyone notice that we only have 3 less wins (but 5 losses more) than the Celtics? We're one of five teams in the NBA with over 30 wins so far...
If it weren't for that awful stretch early on where we lost 6 out of 9 we'd look pretty dominant. But for now I guess we'll just have to settle for winning 12 out of the last 14. *sigh*
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:11 AM   #13
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
If it weren't for that awful stretch early on where we lost 6 out of 9 we'd look pretty dominant. But for now I guess we'll just have to settle for winning 12 out of the last 14. *sigh*
I'm as gloomy as ShaggyDirk cause of those 2 losses.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote