Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-21-2004, 05:55 PM   #1
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough
Default KG or Duncan?

whaddaya guys think?
id go with duncan. he makes he's teammates a ot better while putting up good numbers.
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2004, 06:14 PM   #2
HeatFan7

HeatFan7 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: KG or Duncan?

After this year, its Kevin Garnett and I am not sure how one could argue/debate that.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:19 PM   #3
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough
Default RE:KG or Duncan?

Duncan. Love KG's game though.

Duncan has carried two teams to championships with a cast that wasn't remarkably better then KG had with the Wolves.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 07:16 PM   #4
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

If I'm building a team in a draft, Garnett might be my first choice since he's the more versatile of the two, and therefore I'd have more flexibility in building around him. If I know that I can find the right kind of guys to fit with Duncan, though, he's my pick. IMO he's better defensively than KG (not as capable guarding SF's a SG's, but better against PF's and C's - and since I'd play both of them as PF's that's more important to me), is a better low post option (the best in the game), and shoots the midrange jumper and passes just as well as KG (though KG's better suited to be a playmaker). If you have either one of those guys, though, you're in good enough shape that you shouldn't feel at all bad for not having the other.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:13 PM   #5
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

I go with KG because of the heart and desire that he is showing, like he always has.

Especially after game 7, where he put the Wolves on his back and scored all of Minny's fourth quarter points, when they needed it the most.

All the greats have showed it Jordan, Bird, Magic, Olajuwon, Shaq, Kobe, etc.........even Karl Malone. That's what sometimes seperated them from just being above average players. It was there heart and desire to win.

Forget talent, I'd rather go with the player who has more heart, who wants to win more, shows more desire and determination to get the job done........

In this case, I just feel KG shows more heart and desire to win on the court than Duncan does. That's what seperates them in my mind.

Imagine if Dirk would have shown some of this "heart"....... I believe the Mavs would have gotten past the Spurs to win the title. But instead, NVE showed all the heart last season and the team leader really didnt. That's why NVE is missed.......because of his "heart."

Old 05-21-2004, 08:27 PM   #6
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
All the greats have showed it Jordan, Bird, Magic, Olajuwon, Shaq, Kobe, etc.........even Karl Malone.
I think you left someone off that list...oh yeah, Tim Duncan. You know, winner of two titles, two blocks shy of a quadruple double (that included 20 rebounds) in the deciding game of the NBA finals last year.
Quote:
Imagine if Dirk would have shown some of this "heart"....... I believe the Mavs would have gotten past the Spurs to win the title. But instead, NVE showed all the heart last season and the team leader really didnt. That's why NVE is missed.......because of his "heart."
Perhaps you mean: imagine if Dirk had somehow managed to acquire a bionic knee.
Or, imagine if your beloved NVE would have mixed in some brains with all that "heart" and passed the ball to Fin a little more instead of shooting the Mavs out of the SA series.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:12 PM   #7
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I think you left someone off that list...oh yeah, Tim Duncan. You know, winner of two titles, two blocks shy of a quadruple double (that included 20 rebounds) in the deciding game of the NBA finals last year.
1......When you have a supporting cast like Timmy does, you better win a couple of titles.

2......Oh yeah, he put up some great numbers that night.........against the New Jersey Nets and an overmatched Kenyon Martin, whom he should dominate anyways.

Quote:
Or, imagine if your beloved NVE would have mixed in some brains with all that "heart" and passed the ball to Fin a little more instead of shooting the Mavs out of the SA series.
You, I, and most others here know that if it wasnt for NVE, the Mavs probably wouldnt have been in that series to begin with........
Old 05-21-2004, 09:39 PM   #8
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
1......When you have a supporting cast like Timmy does, you better win a couple of titles.
Duncan had a solid, but by no means outstanding supporting cast.
Quote:
2......Oh yeah, he put up some great numbers that night.........against the New Jersey Nets and an overmatched Kenyon Martin, whom he should dominate anyways.
Then there's KG going up against Vlade with his 2 inch vertical, Webber with his one good leg, and the defensive force that is Brad Miller.
Quote:
You, I, and most others here know that if it wasnt for NVE, the Mavs probably wouldnt have been in that series to begin with........
Yet for all your professed familiarity with the circumstances of Dallas' playoff run last year you seem to forget that without Dirk Dallas would have been swept out of the Portland series in 4 games, that it was Dirk who went for 31 points (23 in the second half) 10 rebounds and 3 blocks in Game 7 against Portland, and that it was Dirk who went for 30 and 19 in Game 7 against Sacramento.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:22 PM   #9
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Duncan is my guy over every other player in the league. As Barkley says, "He's the best player in the world, ya'll."

Garnett continues to grow as a player (even though I don't particularly like him), but Duncan is the better, more dominant player.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 11:26 PM   #10
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

id choose kg over tim in a fantasy bball league though
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 04:07 PM   #11
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Duncan...I wouldn't be able to stand listening to KG in postgame comments after every game
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote