Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 04-08-2003, 10:03 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

any of you out there want to name your children after a sports star or one of your heroes growing up?

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2003, 10:06 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

first child, regardless of whether it's a boy or a girl...
the name is..

drum roll please..

Murphy
Old 04-08-2003, 10:18 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Who didn't see that one coming? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

No Dale huh?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 10:26 AM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

nah...but maybe Brian
Old 04-08-2003, 10:31 AM   #5
Drbio
Banned

After Brian Cashman no doubt. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2003, 10:31 AM   #6
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

I have a cousin that is named Derian after Derian Hatcher from the Stars.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 10:38 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

dale brian murphy
Old 04-08-2003, 10:39 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

a good friend of mine (my old basketball coach in high school)..well, he named his first daughter Murphy..of course, after the great Dale Murphy
Old 04-08-2003, 11:10 AM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

If I had a girl, I wanted to name her Marley (after Bob), like Jimmy Buffett named his daughter.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 11:45 AM   #10
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

i think that my first girl will bear the name Ariel,and my first boy is Sky.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 12:27 PM   #11
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

being a dude, i never thought about this kinda thing. my job is to make sure my kids don't get a whack name. that's all [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 12:35 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

i never really thought about it either..until one of my good friends named his daughter murphy.

just let me name one kid..screw the rest
Old 04-08-2003, 12:38 PM   #13
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

My Dad wanted to name me Ferguson after Ferguson Jemkins. Thanksfully my Mom overuled that one.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 01:01 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Well, Fergie was putting up 25 wins right about the time you were conceived/born.. so, not a bad idea

if chan ho puts up 25 wins this year, i'll name my first son Chan and my first daughter Ho in honor of him
Old 04-08-2003, 01:11 PM   #15
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

Name your kid whatever you want as long as this stupid boys' names for girls trend dies. Now there's no names left for boys. No matter what you pick for your son it will be the hottest girls name the next year. My brother picked Ryan for a girl. Thankfully they had a boy and named him Sam after my grandfather.

southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 01:13 PM   #16
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

Just curious, if any of you had twins what would you name them? Same letter? Rhyming names?
Old 04-08-2003, 01:41 PM   #17
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Lemonjello and Orangejello

(pronounced "la-mahn-gel-o" and "o-rahn-gel-o&quot

but seriously. i haven't given much thought to it. My girlfriend recently tossed out Brennan as a guy's name. not bad.

I think i'd go with Christian Laettner White. has a nice ring to it... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

i feel sorry for my brother. He is Charles Edward White III (goes by Trey). someone has to break the chain sometime! i can't imagine the pressure he'll be under if he has a son... does he go with a unique name, or christen him the IV? tough call. glad i don't have to make it.

My first name will more than likely be one of my kid's middle names, just to keep it around. My first name (Burke) is my mom's maiden name. her dad had only sisters and daughters, so the name "Burke" was basically ending with him. So i got it as my first name. I like it. anyway, i feel like i should keep it going in some fashion.

Old 04-08-2003, 01:53 PM   #18
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

How about Dickie Brennan? After one of my favorite restaurants. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2003, 01:57 PM   #19
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

<< i feel sorry for my brother. He is Charles Edward White III (goes by Trey). someone has to break the chain sometime! i can't imagine the pressure he'll be under if he has a son... does he go with a unique name, or christen him the IV? tough call. glad i don't have to make it. >>

&quot;Chester Roland Hollis IV&quot; sounds like a pretty shitty name too. I'm glad I don't have to make that kind of decision.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 02:00 PM   #20
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

<< i feel sorry for my brother. He is Charles Edward White III (goes by Trey). someone has to break the chain sometime! i can't imagine the pressure he'll be under if he has a son... does he go with a unique name, or christen him the IV? tough call. glad i don't have to make it. >>

I wasn't going to get into this one but since you brought it up, I am actually Richard the IV. All of us have different middle names, but we all have the same first name from my great grandfather to me. My fiancee and I have already had some tough quarrels over what our son will be called, but we have came to the conclusion that we are going to break the trend but keep the Richard name. We will actually make Richard the middle name. Just my ramblings for the hour.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

Old 04-08-2003, 02:03 PM   #21
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I knew a guy when I was younger named &quot;Jeff Russell IV&quot; that went by the name &quot;quatro&quot; . In fact, I saw the dude on the TV show survivor last year. He's like 6'8&quot;. His mom was a contestant... did pretty well from what I've heard.

I found a link.

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/08/16/Ta...y_summer.shtml
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 02:14 PM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

the coolest name i've ever ran into was..
Rogers Hornsby IV..
of course, named after the great b'ball player..

ended up being good friends with him in college..

and the name Burke..good, solid name..i know three of them
Old 04-08-2003, 02:35 PM   #23
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

<< &quot;Chester Roland Hollis IV&quot; sounds like a pretty shitty name too. I'm glad I don't have to make that kind of decision. >>

who's the III? evilmav?

hey Murph, now you know 4 Burkes. cool.

so, was Rogers Hornsby IV related to the actual Rogers Hornsby? or was he down the line of someone named after the actual Rogers Hornsby?

can I name my son as a IV, even though there is no 1-3? like just pull out &quot;James White IV&quot; or something like that?

&quot;quatro&quot;... see, there's no good nickname for the IV... II gets &quot;junior&quot; or &quot;deuce&quot;, III gets &quot;Trey&quot;, and V gets &quot;quincy&quot;

Old 04-08-2003, 02:42 PM   #24
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

wasn't quatro in Total Recall?

Old 04-08-2003, 02:42 PM   #25
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

The top 10 names for 2001 in the U.S.:

Girls: Emily, Madison, Hannah, Ashley, Alexis, Samantha, Sarah, Abigail, Elizabeth, and Jessica

Boys: Jacob, Michael, Matthew, Joshua, Christopher, Nicholas, Andrew, Joseph, Daniel, and William

Source: U.S. Social Security Administration

Edit: Sorry, the one &quot;t&quot; in Matthew was a typo.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:47 PM   #26
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

what about naming them after states or cities?

Dakota? Virginia? Savannah? Raleigh? Austin (bleah...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img])? Dallas?

etc., etc.

some kid in the little league playoffs last year was named Dakota.

I notice &quot;Mathew&quot; only has one T. A friend here at work spells it like that. I had never seen it spelled like that til i met him... interesting.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:48 PM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

BBL, yep..great grandson.

it was cool..during roll in the class in which i met him, the professor and I were the only ones that recognized the name..

we ended up having a few more classes together and hung out quite a bit.

To be honest, Rogers &quot;rajah&quot; Hornsby had long been my favorite baseball that played during the pre WWII era..
He's from Winters Texas...same town as my mother's family..

obviously, there's really no bond anymore between the two families..but, 80-100 years ago, members of the same church and relatively close friends..of course, there were only a small number of churches in Winters, TX at that time..as you can imagine
Old 04-08-2003, 02:57 PM   #28
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

BTW, the number 1 boys' name in Texas is Jose.

There's a web page with popular names by state and other info. click here
Old 04-08-2003, 07:26 PM   #29
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

I saw this kid once who was called Tennessee!
What are they going to call him for short? He was clearly already in denial
as he was telling my friends and I that his name was &quot;Prince&quot;. Nice work.
We picked our daughters name from songs. I went through rock stars, but all the female
rockstars i love kind of have boring names.
I wanted something different, but not too weird. Growing up with a name like mine I wouldn't
advise ANYONE to give their kids a name like mine, it's just not worth it...no matter
how much you like the name.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 07:30 PM   #30
Drbio
Banned

I like Dallas for a guy. Skye for a girl was always interesting to me.

Believe it or not, there was a student here whose name was Shi' Thead. Ouch.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:30 PM   #31
Drbio
Banned

<< Lemonjello and Orangejello

(pronounced &quot;la-mahn-gel-o&quot; and &quot;o-rahn-gel-o&quot
>>

hahaha....What about Camphopheniqua?
Old 04-08-2003, 07:34 PM   #32
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

Sorry Doc, Dallas is now a girl's name along with Taylor, Carson, Hunter, Jordan, and Skyler.

For boys there are about 6-8 choices left and those will be girls names in 5 years or less too. Bugs me, if you can't tell.

My appologies to those who have girls with these names. I just agonized over my boys' names so they would not have girls names.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:46 PM   #33
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

<< Taylor, Carson, Hunter, Jordan, and Skyler. >>

that's actually my little girls name, 'and' and all [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 08:09 PM   #34
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

<< The top 10 names for 2001 in the U.S.:
Girls: Emily, Madison, Hannah, Ashley, Alexis, Samantha, Sarah, Abigail, Elizabeth, and Jessica
>>

I am stunned Jennifer isn't on that list. There are 3 Jennifers in my hall alone. Also 2 Sarahs &amp; 2 Jessicas. I didn't know Madison was that popular.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:26 PM   #35
Murphy3
Guru

went to school with a guy named Dallas Titsworth..
Old 04-09-2003, 12:15 AM   #36
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I always think Dallas Drake w/the St. Louis Blues (hockey). It always freaks me out when he scores here b/c when they announce it, there's always a split second I think we scored.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:53 AM   #37
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

man, you gotta be BSing about Shi'Thead. I don't believe it.

man, so now all boys names are ambiguous?

whatever happened to just the few ambiguous names? Terry (or Terri), Tony (or Toni, or Tone, for that matter... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ), and of course, Pat?
Old 04-09-2003, 10:40 AM   #38
Drbio
Banned

BBL- I have a copy of the class role to prove it. No kidding. Sad huh?
Old 04-09-2003, 10:41 AM   #39
Drbio
Banned

pronounced &quot;Sha Theed&quot;
Old 04-09-2003, 11:22 AM   #40
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

I'll probably use 2 family surnames - from my mom's side - for middle names.

We also have 3 generations of Madelines... but they are all so stubborn and difficult that I don't think I could bare to give that name to my child. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]