Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-18-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dirk Nowitzki clutch free throw shooting

Hat-tip on this from ep over at http://p073.ezboard.com/Dirk-Nowitzk...ID=29124.topic

Dirk Nowitzki clutch free throw shooting since November 2003 82games.com featured some clutch free throw stats, but only through april 5th 06, so I browsed through the remaining games of the 05-06 season, the 2006 playoffs and the 2006-07 season.

the definition they used: Clutch Free Throw = under two minutes left in the game, neither team is ahead by more than three points. (That strict definition does exclude a lot of other made fts but also the missed one with the Mavs leading the Suns 109-103, however.)

data sample:
2003-04 regular season + playoffs
2004-05 regular season + playoffs
2005-06 regular season + playoffs
2006-07 regular season

clutch ft percentage: 88-101 (.871)

splits

2006 playoffs

game 3 vs SA 4-4 (giving the mavs a 1 pt lead, stackhouse was 0-2 afterwards)
game 4 vs SA 2-2 (forcing overtime)
game 7 vs SA 1-1 (forcing overtime)
game 3 vs MIA 1-2 (&%$§)

= 8-9 (.889)

2006-07 regular season

11/24/06 vs SA 2-2
12/28/06 vs PHX 2-2
01/09/07 vs UTA 2-2
01/12/07 vs IND 3-4
01/27/07 vs SAC 2-2
01/31/07 vs MEM 3-3
02/03/07 vs MIN 2-2
03/03/07 vs ORL 2-2
03/14/07 vs PHX 1-2
03/16/07 vs BOS 2-2
03/18/07 vs DET 1-2

= 22-25 (.880)

So he misses one here and there but he doesn't shoot significantly worse when the game is on the line.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2007, 11:39 PM   #2
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Great find man
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:44 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

A 90% shooter is 81% percent to make them both (.9*.9). So 19% of the time, a 90% shooter misses one of two. One in five. It does happen.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:49 PM   #4
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Nice stats dude and chum, good to see that his clutch free throw shooting is still much better than most. It just seems worse because it's been two times so close to each other. I'm still confident he'll make them when they really count.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:59 PM   #5
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

He does make me a little nervous.....
Old 03-19-2007, 12:31 AM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
He does make me a little nervous.....
i would imagine he never did before the suns game. I know he never did me.

Doesn't really now, except he's going through something that he'll get out of I expect.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 03-19-2007, 01:10 AM   #7
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I needed to see. Thanks dude.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:48 AM   #8
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

if he'd miss 2 of 2 i'd be concerned but 1 of two just happens sometimes. he ain't a machine even if sometimes it seems like he is. That makes me wonder when was the last time he missed 2 of 2 FT'S? has that happened yet this season?

Last edited by Lor20; 03-19-2007 at 02:48 AM.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:14 AM   #9
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
i would imagine he never did before the suns game. I know he never did me.

Doesn't really now, except he's going through something that he'll get out of I expect.
I know for damn sure I'm never nervous when he's at the line. Quite the opposite actually. I always figure its and automatic two points. And I'm usually right. That's why that Phoenix game drove me nuts. To see him miss four FT's like that, I thought I was in the twightlight zone or something.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:36 AM   #10
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Good stats, but when all is said and done, its the Miami one that counts. If Dirk hits 199 of 200 ft attempts and that one miss loses him the championship......he'll be known as a choker. Tony Romo catches every snap cept the one that counted. Now I have all the faith that Dirk will be clutch in fts in the finals, so that he won't be remembered for the Miami miss.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 03-19-2007 at 09:37 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:40 AM   #11
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

one thing I notice about the last miss v. Pho and yesterday -- in each case Dirk missed the first and made the 2nd. Seems to me that if a fellow chokes on the first, the 2nd is even more pressured packed, and yet dirk makes these.

i really think the "dirk is a choker on the biggest stage" meme that's floating about is a bit of a story looking for facts that fit. Games 3, 4 and 7 v. the Spurs last year all featured dirk making huge plays down the stretch. Game 5 v. the Suns was sick. And even in game 5 v. the Heat Dirk hit great shots at the almost end of reg and ot, only to be trumped (obviously).

there's ample evidence that dirk's clutch for all who have eyes to see.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:42 AM   #12
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Sleeping is giving in,
no matter what the time is.
Sleeping is giving in,
so lift those heavy eyelids.

People say that you'll die
faster than without water.
But we know it's just a lie,
scare your son, scare your daughter.

People say that your dreams
are the only things that save ya.
Come on baby in our dreams,
we can live our misbehavior.

Every time you close your eyes
Lies, lies!
Lies, lies!
Lies, lies!
Lies, lies!

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #13
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

arcade fire! i like them a lot
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:58 AM   #14
Zaknaf3in

Zaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud of

The track to start my day while sittin in the bus, for several months now...

Dallas Mavs Supporter, Berlin/Germany
Zaknaf3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:16 PM   #15
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

It should also be noted that Dirk A) played much more minutes than usual going into the closing minutes of the 4th quarter against Phoenix, and B) was asked to play a lot of one on one D against Nash during that game. Both of these probably tired him much more than usual. Tired legs usualy = lower FT%. With Buck and George hurt, Dirk's been forced to play more minutes. It's very important for us to get healthy by the playoffs.

Also, the Mavs started the Phoenix game playing the same type of crap game they played against Golden State. That forced them to expend tons of energy to overcome an early 16 point deficit. We can't afford crap starts like that against good teams if we want to win those games on a regular basis.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #16
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRB
It should also be noted that Dirk A) played much more minutes than usual going into the closing minutes of the 4th quarter against Phoenix, and B) was asked to play a lot of one on one D against Nash during that game. Both of these probably tired him much more than usual. Tired legs usualy = lower FT%. With Buck and George hurt, Dirk's been forced to play more minutes. It's very important for us to get healthy by the playoffs.

Also, the Mavs started the Phoenix game playing the same type of crap game they played against Golden State. That forced them to expend tons of energy to overcome an early 16 point deficit. We can't afford crap starts like that against good teams if we want to win those games on a regular basis.
right on...tired legs = lower ft% and more mental errors (seriously). dirk is a 7 footer, after all, and I think Avery needs to make a more concerted effort to keep him under 40 minutes per game.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #17
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRB

He played 57 of a possible 58 minutes. Damn right he was tired.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:26 PM   #18
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

When we are assured of the top seed, I say play Dirk only in the first half.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #19
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack
He played 57 of a possible 58 minutes. Damn right he was tired.
Dirk played 56 minutes and 47 seconds out of a possible 58 minutes. He didn't get any rest in either of the overtime's, which meant going into the closing minutes of the 4th he'd had a total of 1 minute and 13 seconds of rest for the whole game. He was also asked to expend far more energy on the Defensive end that is usual for him.

Meanwhile Nash who also didn't get any rest in either of the overtime's, had about 9 minutes and 40 seconds of rest going into the closing minutes of the 4th quarter. Nash wasn't asked to do much of anything special on the defensive end. Funny how the talking heads miss those little facts.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:15 PM   #20
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

Avery shouldn't have played Dirk that much. Seems desperate for a regular season game. Particularly one that has so quickly become IRRELEVENT.

Also, we dogged on Cro a good bit tonite. Not sure what race has to do with it, but it must suck to back up the MVP when you are a tall, white power forward that shoots with range. However distant, the similarities in their games is enough to make Cro subject of comparison to Dirk. In reality, he's our 10th or 11th man with a full roster.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:23 PM   #21
dude1394
Guru

Cro's been fair. I do like that he's trying to take it into the paint a little more than just jacking up shots. But he's going to be pretty dicey in the playoffs.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:47 PM   #22
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

how about the clutch ft stats for Duncan or Shaq?

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:48 PM   #23
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli
how about the clutch ft stats for Duncan or Shaq?
ox·y·mo·ron (ŏk'sē-môr'ŏn', -mōr'-) Pronunciation Key
n. pl. ox·y·mo·ra (-môr'ə, -mōr'ə) or ox·y·mo·rons
A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:57 AM   #24
KingCrunch

KingCrunch is on a distinguished road

Thx for this, we have to send this to every espn-commentator and everybody else out there who's talking bullshit!

<<Deutschlands größtes Basketball-Netzwerk>>

Last edited by KingCrunch; 03-20-2007 at 06:57 AM.
KingCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #25
LRB
Guru

It would be intestesting to see how Dirk stacks up in the clutch rebounding department as well. To me it seems he does his best rebounding with the game on the line.