Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-21-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Stars sign Brenden Morrow to six-year extension

This is very significant, I thought someone should be at least aware of it, as Morrow will almost without a doubt, be the captain of this team when Mike Modano retires in a couple of years.

Brendan Morrow is to the Dallas Stars, what Josh Howard is to the Dallas Mavericks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STARS SIGN BRENDEN MORROW TO SIX-YEAR EXTENSION

September 21, 2006

By DallasStars.com Staff

Versatile Left Wing Inked Thru 2012-2013 Season

Mike Modano will always be known as the face of the Dallas Stars franchise. But another "Mo" has also established himself as one of the cornerstone players of this hockey club over the last several years, and there really isn't anything "Mini" about him.

You could say that Brenden Morrow is the heart of the Stars while Modano is the soul. Either way, Stars management made sure that the player known by some as "Mini Mo" would remain a big part of the team's future by locking up the gritty left wing with a six-year contract extension worth $24.6 million ($4.1 million per year) through the 2012-2013 season. Morrow's current contract was set to expire at the conclusion of the 2006-07 season.

"Signing Brenden to a long-term extension was a top priority for this hockey club," said Stars General Manager Doug Armstrong. "We consider him a cornerstone player and an integral part of our team. Brenden is one of our main leaders and sets the tone for the club with his work ethic. He brings a lot of energy and tenacity to the lineup each night and we're glad to him here over the next seven seasons."

Yes, now Stars fans can look forward to many more Morrow signature goals within three feet of the crease and of course the "reversal" which he has perfected over the last few seasons.

Morrow, 27, appeared in 81 games with the Stars last season, recording 23 goals and 42 assists for 65 points with 183 penalty minutes and a +30 rating. He set career-highs in assists and points and was the only player in the NHL last season to register more than 20 goals and over 125 penalty minutes. Among team leaders, he ranked first in plus/minus, fourth in points, fourth in assists and fourth in goals.

The decision to sign with Dallas now and not test the free agent market at the end of the year was a no-brainer for Morrow.

"I wanted to stay in Dallas all along and now I can concentrate completely on the ice for this upcoming season," said Morrow. "I couldn't be happier and am extremely excited about continuing my career with the Stars for many years."

During the 2006 playoffs against Colorado, he collected six points (1-5-6) in five games. The 5-11, 205-pound left wing tied for the team lead in playoff assists and points. In 53 career playoff games, Morrow has posted six goals and 18 assists for 24 points.

The Stars' first round selection (25th overall) in the 1997 NHL Entry Draft, Morrow has appeared in 451 career NHL games (all with Dallas). Over his NHL career, he has tallied 120 goals and 149 assists for 269 points with 758 penalty minutes. Since coming into the league in 1999-00, he has the best plus/minus of any Dallas player (+98) and has never been a "minus" player in a season. He is the only current Dallas player who has registered three-straight 20-goal seasons.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:51 AM   #2
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

How did you get this info so early?

You're an insider, aren't you?
Old 09-21-2006, 10:54 AM   #3
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Morrow has very clearly defined himself as a "quiet leader" (Dallas Morning News a couple weeks ago) who leads more on the ice rather than in the locker room- in the way he plays rather than by what he says. Isn't that the same way Mikey describes himself as a team captain? Do we really want to risk having another "silent leader" out there?

I do think Morrow is a great guy, and he is reliable in so many ways - on and off the ice. I'm thrilled he'll be staying with the Stars over the long haul. I'd love for him to grow in his leadership abilities ine very way as he continues to perform well for the team during games.

Last edited by Smiles; 09-21-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:19 AM   #4
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think its lucky then that he's going to have 2 or 3 more years to improve in that area.

Then again, 2 or 3 years is a long time, and I know Tipp and Army are going to be looking to get some fresh faces around here, in their efforts to rebuild on the fly, and still play at a high level. It just seems like something major would have to happen for Brenden to not be considered next in line.

Morrow playing with Halpern last night looked great. Morrow playing with Barnaby on monday looked like that might be a frustrating-as-hell line to play against as well.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
Smiles
Diamond Member

You are right, Morrow is doing well, and it seems like he will be the next captain. It's not fair for me to compare him to Modano, I guess. They both may define themselves as quiet-leader-types, but they are still very different. Morrow's "ways" could easily be more effective.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Listening to the press conference now on the Ticket...

I'm so glad they got this done. I never thought he'd be going anywhere, but it's great they got it out of the way. I've always thought of Morrow as the epitome of what Dallas Stars hockey has always been about. Heart & effort & hard work. He's not going to be captain b/c he's loud in the locker room, he'll be captain b/c there's no one on that team & no one that watches him play on a regular basis that doesn't respect him.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yo ames, I knew youd turn up.

Well thats all 3 Stars fans on these boards.

Thanks everyone else....this is equivalent to signing Josh to a big deal and no one gives a crap.....
Old 09-21-2006, 04:53 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Dallas has a hockey team?

Who knew?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:40 PM   #9
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I am actually a closet hockey fan... I watched 10 games or so last year. Morrow is a great player and this extension was a no brainer for everyone involved... He belongs here and we would be as ignorant as a team could be to let a guy like him go. If only we had 10 more...
Old 09-21-2006, 07:03 PM   #10
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

the nhl is still alive?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:30 PM   #11
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

What the hell is the "NHL"?
Old 09-22-2006, 11:49 AM   #12
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
What the hell is the "NHL"?
It's a wonderful place. Far away from the the corruption of college football... and the glamour and the criminality of the NFL. Far away from the controversy and the blow hard old men talking about Major league baseball. There are no rednecks waving confederate flags at other rednecks in cars while they cant even hear themselves think. And one old white guy with a whistle and a man crush on somebody can't ruin someones entire season.

It's a place requiring the physicality of the most hard fought football game, the finesse and concentration of the most skilled striker in soccer, or the most silky smooth jump shooter, and on top of those things, the ability to do it while traveling 25 mph on a big ice cube under your own power while trying not to get hit by 5 large men with sticks and a vulcanized frozen rubber puck.

but in little texas....it's nothing...dont worry about it

Last edited by Flacolaco; 09-22-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:24 PM   #13
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
It's a wonderful place. Far away from the the corruption of college football... and the glamour and the criminality of the NFL. Far away from the controversy and the blow hard old men talking about Major league baseball. There are no rednecks waving confederate flags at other rednecks in cars while they cant even hear themselves think. And one old white guy with a whistle and a man crush on somebody can't ruin someones entire season.

It's a place requiring the physicality of the most hard fought football game, the finesse and concentration of the most skilled striker in soccer, or the most silky smooth jump shooter, and on top of those things, the ability to do it while traveling 25 mph on a big ice cube under your own power while trying not to get hit by 5 large men with sticks and a vulcanized frozen rubber puck.

but in little texas....it's nothing...dont worry about it

Sounds gay!

Old 09-22-2006, 02:04 PM   #14
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

lol how eloquently stated.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:05 AM   #15
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Morrow named Stars captain

11:00 AM CDT on Friday, September 29, 2006

By MIKE HEIKA / The Dallas Morning News

The Stars announced Friday morning that Brenden Morrow will take over as team captain.

Morrow will take the place of Mike Modano, who was named captain in 2003 when Derian Hatcher left the team in free agency. The decision was made by the coaching staff and front office.

"It was something that [coach] Dave [Tippett] and I talked about," Stars general manager Doug Armstrong said. "We felt it was important for Brenden to take that leadership role going forward and it was important for the team."

Morrow, 27, signed a six-year contract extension last week that is expected to tie him to the team through the 2012-13 season.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:50 PM   #16
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

WOW. That was unexpected. I never doubted he'd be captain one day. A little earlier than I thought, but I think he'll be great. Everyone in that room respects him.

Modano obviously signed off on this, don't you think?
Old 09-30-2006, 12:14 AM   #17
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

That's what I thought.

It seems they made this move without Modanos blessing though. Which pisses me off.

Im the biggest Brenden Morrow fan in the world, you can ask my signed #10 jersey.... but if this move in any way puts Mo in a bad move, im going to be pissed...
Old 10-02-2006, 12:32 AM   #18
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

edit.

I quit

Last edited by Flacolaco; 10-02-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:15 PM   #19
Smiles
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
That's what I thought.

It seems they made this move without Modanos blessing though. Which pisses me off.

Im the biggest Brenden Morrow fan in the world, you can ask my signed #10 jersey.... but if this move in any way puts Mo in a bad move, im going to be pissed...
What gave you the idea that Modano didn't sign off on the decision? Were you under the impression that Modano LIKED being the team captain?
Old 10-02-2006, 04:23 PM   #20
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Nothing really.

I know he was very quiet, and when Derian left I think the feeling was "well, who else are we going to give it to?"

so they just gave it to Mo.

But I think he had to have a certain amount of pride wearing it. The interview Doug Armstrong did on the ticket that day seemed to suggest that Mike might have some different feelings about it, and Mike himself said he had "mixed feelings."

Either way, I agree with the move. It just seemed a little sudden.

But Brenden Morrow plays balls out for 60 minutes a game, and the Stars want that to be the face of their franchise I think.

So saturday night Mo gets a goal and an assist, and Morrow scores the game winner, and everyone is happy. I sure was! that was a fun game to watch live for a pre-season game.