Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 05-04-2006, 12:53 AM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Evaluating the Ranger trades

Sure its early but what the heck!

>>>Texas gets righthander Robinson Tejeda and minor league outfielder Jake Blalock. Philadelphia gets David Dellucci.

>>>Texas gets lefthander John Koronka and left-hander John Rheinecker. Oakland gets right-hander Juan Dominguez. Chicago Cubs gets Freddie Bynum.

>>>Texas gets righthanders Adam Eaton, Akinori Otsuka and catcher Billy Killian. San Diego gets righthander Chris Young, first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, and outfielder Terrmel Sledge.

>>>Texas gets righthander Vicente Padilla. Philadelphia gets right-handed pitcher Ricardo Rodriguez.

>>>Texas gets outfielders Brad Wilkerson and Terrmel Sledge, and minor league pitcher Armando Galarraga. Washington gets Alfonso Soriano.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2006, 12:55 AM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
>>>Texas gets outfielders Brad Wilkerson and Terrmel Sledge, and minor league pitcher Armando Galarraga. Washington gets Alfonso Soriano.
Isn't it Andres Gallaraga?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:56 AM   #3
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I didn't like seeing Dellucci go.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 05-04-2006, 12:58 AM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Isn't it Andres Gallaraga?
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?p=215089

Sporting News says Armando?!?

Does it really matter?
Old 05-04-2006, 01:00 AM   #5
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
I didn't like seeing Dellucci go.
He's hitting .140 for the year so far.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:02 AM   #6
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?p=215089

Sporting News says Armando?!?

Does it really matter?
Well, the only Gallaraga I've heard of is the Big Cat, Andres Gallaraga.

But no, it doesnt really matter. It was a pretty bad trade either way.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:02 AM   #7
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's hitting .140 for the year so far.
Generally it is hard to hit consistently when you are used to playing consistently and don't get consistent time. I don't miss him nearly as much with Nevin producing from the DH spot.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:05 AM   #8
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Generally it is hard to hit consistently when you are used to playing consistently and don't get consistent time. I don't miss him nearly as much with Nevin producing from the DH spot.
Hitting below the Mendoza line is terrible. No matter what excuses are out there.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:08 AM   #9
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

It's tough though, when you're used to getting 3-4 AB's a game, then all of a sudden get 1-2 inconsistently. It takes awhile to get adjusted to the less PT.

Actually, I'm a Giants fan, but Dellucci seemed solid to me last year for the Rangers.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:16 AM   #10
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Comments in bold!

Quote:
Sure its early but what the heck!

>>>Texas gets righthander Robinson Tejeda and minor league outfielder Jake Blalock. Philadelphia gets David Dellucci.

This is a trade that I really wish we didn't have to make. If Eaton doesn't get hurt, we don't make this trade. With that said, I can't say we are really missing him as his position is being filled pretty well by Nevin. If Tejeda can figure out his control issues, this is a pretty fair trade. Not a steal for either team, as we lost a lot of leadership when Dellucci left.

>>>Texas gets lefthander John Koronka and left-hander John Rheinecker. Oakland gets right-hander Juan Dominguez. Chicago Cubs gets Freddie Bynum.

This is proving to be a down-right STEAL. I think we all know how well Koronka has pitched for us this year.

>>>Texas gets righthanders Adam Eaton, Akinori Otsuka and catcher Billy Killian. San Diego gets righthander Chris Young, first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, and outfielder Terrmel Sledge.

I have made it very clear that I was in favor of getting Eaton for Young. With that said, Eaton hasn't given us ANYTHING thus far. Hopefully he will be back somewhat soon and can become a consistent #2/#3 option. The big thing is that with our other starter production, and with Cordero's struggles, I still might be happy with Otsuka for Young, (I talk about it straight up because Killian isn't going to help us anytime soon and Gonzalez and Sledge were useless to Texas). This dude has the potential to save our season by closing our wins out.

>>>Texas gets righthander Vicente Padilla. Philadelphia gets right-handed pitcher Ricardo Rodriguez.

Straight up STEAL. Hell, Rodriguez didn't even make Philly's team. Padilla is pitching very well for us and this has to be the best trade of the offseason.

With Kinsler going down and Wilkerson hitting like Nix, this trade doesn't look great right now; however, Kinsler will be back soon and Wilkerson keeps raising his average so this trade will end up being at least a wash eventually IMO. Maybe I am being too kind here, but time will tell.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:24 AM   #11
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Something that has to be added to this trade is Millwood. IMO we would not have signed him unless we moved Soriano.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:27 AM   #12
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Something that has to be added to this trade is Millwood. IMO we would not have signed him unless we moved Soriano.
Well if Hicks is being honest, that shouldn't have mattered. After all, he promised moves like this one after moving Arod. Who knows though, maybe you are right.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:27 AM   #13
MFFL
Guru

And the trade that got away: Josh Beckett
Old 05-04-2006, 01:29 AM   #14
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
And the trade that got away: Josh Beckett
Blalock is hitting great and Beckett has been struggling lately... With that said, I am still pissed that we missed out on Beckett with SOME package.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:05 AM   #15
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

The Koronka and Padilla trades have been highway robbery.

The Tejeda trade hasn't really helped either team, but anytime you can get a young pitcher with good stuff for a fourth outfielder, I do it.

The Wilkerson/Soriano trade doesn't look too great right now, but Soriano will not keep this up, and Wilkerson is already starting to come around. The key in this deal is to remember how much money we saved, and that Kinsler needed to play 2B anyway. This is still going to turn out to be a great deal, IMO.

The Eaton deal....Well, Otsuka has really saved this thing so far, hasn't he? Which is good, because I imagine he is who the Rangers were focusing on anyway. A Young for Eaton swap just makes zero sense on so many levels. And I don't like people saying Gonzalez was useless here. Sure he was blocked, but he had very nice trade value. It's that kind of thinking that got Hafner traded for Diaz. Not saying Gonzalez is Hafner, but he had very similar trade value at the time we traded him. I think time will show us as losing on this trade, as I think Young will be a very nice #3 for them, Gonzalez will be a solid 1B for them, and Otsuka will be all we have left to show for the deal after this year.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-04-2006 at 07:06 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:30 AM   #16
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
The Koronka and Padilla trades have been highway robbery.

The Tejeda trade hasn't really helped either team, but anytime you can get a young pitcher with good stuff for a fourth outfielder, I do it.

The Wilkerson/Soriano trade doesn't look too great right now, but Soriano will not keep this up, and Wilkerson is already starting to come around. The key in this deal is to remember how much money we saved, and that Kinsler needed to play 2B anyway. This is still going to turn out to be a great deal, IMO.

The Eaton deal....Well, Otsuka has really saved this thing so far, hasn't he? Which is good, because I imagine he is who the Rangers were focusing on anyway. A Young for Eaton swap just makes zero sense on so many levels. And I don't like people saying Gonzalez was useless here. Sure he was blocked, but he had very nice trade value. It's that kind of thinking that got Hafner traded for Diaz. Not saying Gonzalez is Hafner, but he had very similar trade value at the time we traded him. I think time will show us as losing on this trade, as I think Young will be a very nice #3 for them, Gonzalez will be a solid 1B for them, and Otsuka will be all we have left to show for the deal after this year.
NO HE DIDN'T - OBVIOUSLY... I don't like it when people claim otherwise. If he had outstanding trade value, we would have got a lot more in return. We got what we could.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:42 AM   #17
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
NO HE DIDN'T - OBVIOUSLY... I don't like it when people claim otherwise. If he had outstanding trade value, we would have got a lot more in return. We got what we could.
Well, it's hard to tell from that trade whether Chris Young had lower than expected trade value, or Adrian Gonzalez did. I would say if you broke the trade down separately, we probably got Eaton for Gonzalez. That's not terrible value in return, just not really what I would have wanted.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-04-2006, 10:12 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's give Wilkerson some time. He's worked his average up to near .240 after a miserable start. He has a 6 game hiitng streak. Over his last 8 games, he has had 4 multiple hit gbames. So, just give him a little time.

Here's why the Soriano trade made sense. You thought you had Ian Kinsler ready to step in. It appeared that he was, but he was injured trying to steal second. If Kinsler had been in the lineup putting up decent numbers and you had Wilkerson starting to round into shape, I don't think you hear a peep about the Soriano trade. However, with Kinsler going down early with an injury, the trade comes up simply because Soriano's replacement isn't here to make you forget him.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:32 PM   #19
jly
Dirk for MVP

jly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the rough

best trade so far is padilla and koronka.

the wilkerson trade wasn't so bad since we had ian kinsler waiting in the minors. also, more than likely, we wouldn't resign him after this season. that trade has ties with the eaton/otsuka trade, so i like that too.

is it something we did or are they just jealous?
jly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:20 PM   #20
MFFL
Guru

How do the trades look now?
Old 12-11-2006, 04:00 PM   #21
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

The Tejeda deal looks like a steal.

Koronka and Rheineker plummted back to earth late in the year, but considering the A's just released Dominguez, I'd say that trade turned out pretty darn good.

The Padilla trade was highway robbery.

The idea of the Soriano trade was good. The results have not been good, however, we weren't going to resign him, and Washington clearly had trouble getting what they thought he was worth, because they didn't trade him last season. Still didn't work out very well, but I'm very interested to see what Wilkerson does this year.

The Young/Eaton trade..I still hate it. I want to know where Doc and everyone else is, with the Eatong > Young crap. What a horrible, horrible trade. The idea behind it was terrible, and the results were even worse.

Now we're trying to sign a broken down closer (Gagne) so we can trade Aki for starting pitching. How freaking ironic.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-11-2006, 04:42 PM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

At the time I thought Eaton was better than an unproven CY. I'd sure love to have him back now though. You are looking through todays glasses at yesterdays events with that statement though. Not entirely fair although you did hate the trade back then.

You do have to laugh at that irony too.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #23
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
At the time I thought Eaton was better than an unproven CY. I'd sure love to have him back now though. You are looking through todays glasses at yesterdays events with that statement though. Not entirely fair although you did hate the trade back then.

You do have to laugh at that irony too.
Yeah, I don't think anyone can accuse me of using hindsite on this one. I was railing against this the moment it happened. Aki turned out to be better than I expected, but Adrian Gonzalez had a better year than anyone expected, and better than a lot of people around here even realize, I think.

I would give anything to undo that trade at this point.

Imagine having Millwood, Padilla, Young and Tejeda as your rotation right now, and then possibly adding Zito to that. My goodness.

And dont' forget having Adrian Gonzalez DH'ing, or perhaps having traded him midseason or this offseason after he proved he could hit at this level.

Granted you'd have a hole in the bullpen, but that's an area of strength right now in our young arms, and Aki doesn't exactley have a strong history of being a dominant releiver. Honestly I'm in favor of trading him right now, because I don't think his value will ever be higher.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-11-2006, 04:49 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree about trading Aki and with your present day evaluations of the trades. I'm hoping Aki brings us ManRam or Jennings.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Adrian Gonzalez(s?) still would have diminished trade value in Texas even if he had proven that he could hit at this level because everyone would know that the Rangers had nowhere to play him and would be reluctant to put him at DH because of his age.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:59 PM   #26
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Adrian Gonzalez(s?) still would have diminished trade value in Texas even if he had proven that he could hit at this level because everyone would know that the Rangers had nowhere to play him and would be reluctant to put him at DH because of his age.
I agree, but it still would've been higher than it was when we traded him, at least in my opinion.

Besides, Adrian Gonzalez is kind of a moot point. I wouldn't have traded Chris Young by himself for Aki and Eaton. Still having Gonzalez would just be the cherry on top of not having given up on Chris Young.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 12-11-2006 at 09:01 PM.