Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-30-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road
Default Josh Howard's impact on the Mavs

Josh has missed 6 games this year. We have lost 4 of them.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Josh Howard's impact on the Mavs

pretty much tells the tale doesn't it. Prediction of all-star next year. He and dirk will win the rings together. Also seems that devin, 'quis and josh are tight, things really looking good for the mavs..

This kid is going to be such a stud.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Josh Howard's impact on the Mavs

I'm looking through the mavs media guide and looking at last years games lost to injury. It seems that josh and mike missed the most games due to injury.. No deep thoughts here, just an fyi..

Josh - 13, Mike - 10..

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:33 PM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Josh Howard's impact on the Mavs

Nice mention if Josh in The Sports Guy's latest mailbag. I included the full question to give context.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: In your TiVo analysis of the C's, try and count how many times Pierce "calls for the ball" with his hands. I'm guessing any given game it's around 6. I haven't played basketball on a high level, but I do know that I can't stand that guy when he's on my team. It's the same guy that comes back to the huddle and says "I was open on that play." I hate that guy.
--Matt Fratt, Boston

SG: I love when Danny Ainge writes in under the pseudonym "Matt Fratt." But you're right, there's nothing worse than That Guy. If I were an NBA GM, I would gravitate towards guys who look like they would be fun to play pickup hoops with -- LeBron, Steve Nash, Josh Howard, Chris Kaman, Kirk Hinrich, Ben Wallace, Fred Hoiberg, Andrei Kirilenko, Luol Deng, Tayshaun Prince, J-Kidd and Bobby Simmons, to name 12 -- and avoid any of those "We can win, but it has to be on my terms" guys (like Pierce, McGrady, Marbury, Crawford and everyone of that ilk). I would be the Bizarro Isiah Thomas.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:21 PM   #5
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

Anybody know if we might get Josh back for the Heat game? We could really use him to chase Dwayne Wade around.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:33 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Misfit Mav
Anybody know if we might get Josh back for the Heat game? We could really use him to chase Dwayne Wade around.
We need the guy healthy first. I'd take the loss if it meant we could have Josh healthy by playoff time.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:04 AM   #7
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
On the mend: It's beginning to look like the Mavericks might see the real Marquis Daniels before long.

Daniels has missed 15 games this season, and in the 27 he's played, he hasn't been full strength because of a lingering left ankle problem that's never healed since he sprained it last summer.

But the 6-6 swingman went through part of practice Friday and had no setbacks Saturday. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, he said.

"A very bright one," said Daniels, who added that the ankle feels better than it has since he sprained it. He's been on the injured list for the last nine games. He attributes the improvement to a new medicated patch he's wearing.

"I can tell with a kid like that, his body language is improving," Avery Johnson said. "He looks to be moving a little bit better and his attitude is better.

"When a kid is hurt like that and playing on one ankle, it really affects his personality. He's feeling better with his attitude because his body is starting to come around a little."

Johnson said Daniels could be activated this week if he goes through a full practice or two with no mishaps. Daniels is averaging 9.6 points and 4.3 rebounds. The Mavericks would like for him to regain the form that helped him average 20.7 points, 6.2 rebounds and 4.9 assists over the last 11 games of the 2003-04 season.

"Anytime you have a guy like him, he is a piece," Johnson said. "If that piece isn't there, the whole is not as strong. We'd like to have him."

Howard out: Josh Howard also was declared out of the game because of back spasms that have cost him the last three games.

"He's still experiencing too much pain," Johnson said.

Howard has made improvement and could return to action Tuesday against Miami.

Briefly: The Mavericks are 0-8 this season when scoring below 90 points. ... The Mavericks' 15 blocked shots were one shy of the franchise record for a game. ... Michael Finley tried an ill-advised distraction when Kyle Korver was shooting the first of two free throws with 11.1 seconds to go. Finley jumped toward Korver from behind. One of the referees said Korver would have gotten an extra shot had he missed, which he did not. ... Avery Johnson on the Sixers'
-- The Dallas Morning News
Old 01-31-2005, 06:53 AM   #8
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Quote:
The Mavericks might be on the verge of receiving some much-needed reinforcements for Tuesday's showdown with Shaquille O'Neal and the Miami Heat.

Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels each went through full practices Sunday, and if they continue to improve, one or both could be in uniform Tuesday. Howard (back spasms) has missed the past three games, and Daniels (sore left ankle) is on the injured list.

Having either back would help extend the rotation, especially at shooting guard and small forward. Michael Finley and Jerry Stackhouse have logged heavy minutes in the absence of the two second-year swingmen.

"Right now we're asking Fin and Stack to play 45 minutes a night, and that's a big grind on those guys," acting coach Avery Johnson said Sunday. "If I can get one of those guys back at least, it'll help bring Fin and Stack's minutes down. That'll keep them a lot fresher."

The Mavs' bench has been stretched thin lately. Normally the team's high-scoring sixth man, Stackhouse has taken his production to the starting lineup, leaving a definite void off the bench. The reserves scored a season-low five points in Saturday's 93-89 loss to Philadelphia at American Airlines Center.

"We're holding the fort down until we get more of the cavalry," Stackhouse said.

Johnson likely won't make a decision on using Howard and/or Daniels until gauging their progress after today's practice and Tuesday's morning shootaround.

For Daniels, getting back on the court isn't just about salvaging his season. He compared his current situation -- he hasn't played since Dec. 26 -- to last season.

Daniels didn't find a regular spot in the rotation until late in his rookie campaign. He has not only used the time off this season to heal; he has also worked on his game. He did the same last season.

"You have to look at it as a blessing in disguise," Daniels said.

Forty games remain before the playoffs.

"It's all about getting to the postseason and going as far as possible," Daniels said. "I want to help this team."
Star-Telegram
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote