Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-19-2004, 06:16 PM   #1
lonny22

lonny22 is on a distinguished road
Default Feeding the dog

I've read a lot about Dampier that is negative in nature, but I'm not buying it. Jermaine O'Neal wanted him for the Pacers and I think this guy is a monster.

ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS FEED THE DOG!

He got 10 shots in a game 29 times last year. In those games he got 15 rebounds or more 18 times and averaged over 15, with 5 games of over 20. When he gets 10 shots he throws down a bunch of games with 7-8-9 offensive rebounds. Some of this might be offensive rebounds that turn into dunks (and a shot).

Even better, he got 30 minutes or more 54 times, with 40 double-doubles and 9 games with one of them in double figures.

He got the best of Shaq in 2 of their 3 meetings last year.

It looks like he got up for the better frontcourt guys and playoff-caliber teams. It looks like he struggled against Yao, but guess who on the Mavs doesn't. This dude punks whoever the Twolves throw out there and gets the best of Miller, too. Diaper Rash down the road can't match up, either. He blows up Memphis and last year took it to Utah. He even matched Ben Wallace twice.

2 of those trash years were when he was injured and the increase in stats last year was at least halfway because he got 8 more minutes a game and Foyle was injured and got less.

Avery might be the motivation that he needs, but I'm sure the Mavs wouldn't take him if he was a lazy dog looking for a contract.

Coming to Dallas will motivate him since he has something to play for. He wants to make the All-Star team and I feel he'll do it. The difference between him and Walker is that Walker would only make the team at the expense of other players. Dampier can do it within the team structure.

My roster analysis:

C- There's a monster in the middle who rebounds like crazy with decent blocks and awesome offensive rebounds. He has 2 backups that are 2 of the best shot blockers in the League.

PF- With Dampier on board, there will be no arguments this year that anybody not named KG or Duncan is better than Dirk at PF. Dirk is going to blow up this year with a real center. We could use a backup here, but maybe Booth can do it.

SF/SG- The Mavs and Grizzlies are the deepest teams in the League here. I like the position, but the Mavs might trade one of the guys more like a SG for a legitimate SF. They can play D and attack the basket. Better outside shooting is desirable.

PG- This is the Mavs weakest area and that says something. They will be fine with the new point guards. I like their quickness.

Pretend the Mavs lose TAW, Hendu, and Esch for nothing. The Mavs current team is in the NBA's Top 5.

I see them as better than the Heat and a tough battle for the Pacers and the Champs. They should beat the Pacers if they play.

Out West, it's between them, the Spurs, and Twolves with me leaning toward another I-35 battle in the WCF. The Kings will drop off a little this year, but still win the Division. The Rockets, Nuggets, and Jazz are good, but not good enough.
lonny22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2004, 08:15 PM   #2
StvNash13

StvNash13 is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Feeding the dog

there will be no arguments this year that anybody not named KG or Duncan is better than Dirk at PF

Funny. I know what you're trying to say though, and I agree. What I really want to see is a playoff series between Minnesota and Dallas, in other words KG vs Dirk, because I think that Dirk can get the best of him.
StvNash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:50 PM   #3
dmavsfan

dmavsfan is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Feeding the dog

There was no doubt that Dirk was as good as Duncan or better in that game in Germany. Duncan had to foul Dirk on a play when he got no help, and was upset with his teammates about it. I think that Dirk is better than Garnett. I would take equal to TD. Dirk is having a break out year (above his other years).
Old 08-20-2004, 12:22 AM   #4
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice
Default RE: Feeding the dog

I think Dirk is as good as KG, if not better, in the playoffs. To say that Dirk is as good as TD is ludicrous.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote