Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 07-26-2004, 12:52 PM   #1
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of
Default Help please! Leaving for London by way of Houston

I will drop off the radar for a about 2 or 3 weeks. I'm flying to London by way of Houston on Tuesday, and will return to Houston on the 17th. I probably won't have internet access.

Have any of you ever been to London? If so, please tell me what I should see! Anyone have tips on getting around the city?

I guess I need some sort of adaptor for my hair dryer - any idea what kind?

Will my Visa card work over there? Do I need to take travelers checks?

How much do meals cost? I have no idea how much to budget for meals and entertainment.

I don't even know what questions to ask!

I'm going to help a family friend who is working on a documentary. I'm not sure how much play time I'll have, but I'd like to have a list of options. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2004, 01:13 PM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Help please! Leaving for London by way of Houston - Yippie!!

have the best time possible Lady Smiles of London town! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:19 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I hide in your luggage?

You will need an adapter (call Radio Shack) in some areas. Many hotels will either provide one or will be wired for US equipment. Contact your hotel to see.

Your Visa will work. Visa converts the money exchange for you. (From experience...it is weird approving a purchase that looks liike several thousand dollars when it was actually Pesos).

Meals are only slightly more expensive by rule. Often times they are about what you would pay in Dallas.

Have fun and be safe....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:38 PM   #4
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Help please! Leaving for London by way of Houston - Yippie!!

I will have to disagree with the esteemed Dr. Bio; I lived in the UK for a year, and found London to be ridiculously expensive. I've seen many recent studies that rank it ahead of NYC in cost of living. My rule of thumb is that it will cost you 10 - 20% more than NYC prices to eat, shop and cab it in London. Drinking, conversely – but as you might expect – is cheaper.

If you want to eat on the cheap, I'd recommend hearty pub lunches with traditional English food and then late dinners at take-away Indian restaurants or fish n' chip shops.

Personally, I'd be sure to hit the Tate Gallery, National Museum (At the apex of empire, the UK plundered the world of its finest treasures – and they all ended up here. It's worthy of a full day.) and the Victoria and Albert museum. Covent Garden is great for a little shop, walk, eat, walk, drink, walk excursion, and Notting Hill is a great neighbourhood to just explore. London Tower is awesome as well; though the Queen's jewels are highly overrated, the unadulterated history of the place isn't.

Ah, I love London. Enjoy yourself immensely...
Old 07-26-2004, 02:40 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

It's been a while since I have been there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I yield to the world traveller S&D. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Besides...as my friend just pointed out, it is cheaper to drink and when that is the case, the good doctor usually doesn't bother wiht food as much. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2004, 09:12 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

my parents got back from there three days ago and they spent $5000 in 6 weeks without having to pay for housing.

They estimated things were about the same price but in pounds, so things are about twice as expensive.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:41 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

If I were in London, the one place that I'd want to go would be Texas.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:36 PM   #8
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

I'd want to go to Paris (not in Texas) and then on to Rome and then all the way up to Norway to hug some trees...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

but seriously, Norway is the best place to go in Europe

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:50 AM   #9
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: twelli
I'd want to go to Paris (not in Texas) and then on to Rome and then all the way up to Norway to hug some trees...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

but seriously, Norway is the best place to go in Europe
Like S&D, I also spent a year in England. (About 3 hours north of London by car.) While it is expensive (and getting worse), you can still see the sights and have a great time on a budget. My favorite place is "Poet's Corner" in Westminster Abbey. If you have time, I'd reccomend a daytrip to Bath or somewhere similar...London won't give you a real genuine feeling for Brittain as a whole...

I'll PM you more about it.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:11 PM   #10
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
my parents got back from there three days ago and they spent $5000 in 6 weeks without having to pay for housing.

They estimated things were about the same price but in pounds, so things are about twice as expensive.
Mercy! Times like these make me wish I was trust fund baby, or something.

I've been advised to get insurance. Is & 50,000 enough medical? Anyone recommend a certain Insurance plan? I'm so lost!

What about the International phone cards? Where can I buy one by Friday?
Old 07-27-2004, 02:41 PM   #11
Smiles
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

WOW! I hope that included air fair! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I'm glad I won't be surprised by meal prices. I love British pubs (at least the Americna equivalents I've been to), so I will be happy to try out as many as possible during my 2 week stint.

Maybe I'll come back with an ability to fake the accent! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2004, 03:45 PM   #12
Novice#41
Golden Member

Novice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Smiles
I will drop off the radar for a about 2 or 3 weeks. I'm flying to London by way of Houston on Tuesday, and will return to Houston on the 17th. I probably won't have internet access.

Have any of you ever been to London? If so, please tell me what I should see! Anyone have tips on getting around the city?

How much do meals cost? I have no idea how much to budget for meals and entertainment.

I'm going to help a family friend who is working on a documentary. I'm not sure how much play time I'll have, but I'd like to have a list of options. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
hi sunshine... great news !

even if i would prefer that you would come to germany [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]...

but hey no problem at all... just give me a hint and i will try
to be in London thursday + friday next week...

give me a contact no. or address and we will see how it works.

have a fantastic time and enjoy each free single minute !!

[img]i/expressions/sun.gif[/img]
n#41
Novice#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:56 PM   #13
Smiles
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Novice#41
Quote:
Originally posted by: Smiles

hi sunshine... great news !

even if i would prefer that you would come to germany [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]...

but hey no problem at all... just give me a hint and i will try
to be in London thursday + friday next week...

give me a contact no. or address and we will see how it works.

have a fantastic time and enjoy each free single minute !!

n#41
OH!!! How cool would that be???!?!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] It would awesome to hang out with you in London. Are you familiar with the city at all?

Let me find out what kind of flexibility I'll have on those days, and I'll get the phone number for the places we'll be staying. I think Friday we get busier - as far as interviews go, but I'll make sure. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

How weird would that be - getting together with another d-m.com poster in a random city like London?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2004, 08:00 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Can I hide in your suitcase? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2004, 11:13 PM   #15
Smiles
Diamond Member

My roomate does have an enormous duffle we call "the body bag".... You're welcome to try it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Ugh, so much laundry and packing still left to do. I'm planning to head out to Houston tomorrow after work. It's going to be a long night, but ooh-so-very worthwhile! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2004, 12:17 AM   #16
Novice#41
Golden Member

Novice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
OH!!! How cool would that be???!?!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] It would awesome to hang out with you in London. Are you familiar with the city at all?

Let me find out what kind of flexibility I'll have on those days, and I'll get the phone number for the places we'll be staying. I think Friday we get busier - as far as interviews go, but I'll make sure. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

How weird would that be - getting together with another d-m.com poster in a random city like London?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
well, just let me know... and then let's talk about it more detailed.
the thing is - it's only possible for me to come on thursday + friday...
wednesday is the US vs. GER game here in cologne [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and saturday
is the wedding of one of my best friends...
so just keep me informed. and i'll be there.
have fun.

n#41

p.s. didn't you get my previous PM ?
Novice#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 04:27 PM   #17
Smiles
Diamond Member

Novice, Checked your PMs again yet?

Good-By all! I'll try to drop in now and then while I'm on the move.

[img]i/expressions/heart.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2004, 04:37 PM   #18
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

It may be too late to ask, but I have often wondered if Bass Ale tastes as good in England as it does here in the US... so if you read this in time make sure you try one.

I also wonder if Guinness tastes as good in Ireland.... I imagine both tasting better in their homelands...
Old 08-01-2004, 07:10 PM   #19
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

Oh no!! I wanted to tell her about the most important thing...THE SHOPPING!!!

If you check in Smiles, you'll have a blast. London rules.

I think I need to get back to London [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:10 AM   #20
Smiles
Diamond Member

Shopping?! I'll have to check that out!

I just arrived at the hotel - it's 10 am here. the Continental flight was quite nice, but i didn't sleep. i think i have been up nearly 24 hours by now, and am as slap happy as imaginable. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] the room isn't ready, so i am in the library waiting. the AC broke here in the library - it's not too terribly warm though. It's really gorgeous here today - probably the prettiest, sunniest day London has seen all year!! Lucky me. [img]i/expressions/heart.gif[/img] I need a shower and a nap though first.

Okay, I'm off to doze on the couch. My room should be ready in another 15 mins or so.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:15 AM   #21
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

how I envy you...

library in a hotel, that sounds like it is an old-style hotel with a lot of wood and history...

how I envy you...

Old 08-04-2004, 09:43 PM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Have a great time Smiles. Wish we could all join you.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:55 PM   #23
veruca salt
Platinum Member

shop shop shop!

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-09-2004, 06:59 PM   #24
Smiles
Diamond Member

The first hotel 'Myhotel in Bloomsbury' was in an old building (naturally), and decorated very modernly using principles of Feng Shui. Was it ever pleasant!!

Driving out of London was an EVERLASTING NIGHTMARE!! LOL We 'hired' a Saab (because they're built like a steal cage), and took off. It was confusing as he!!, and we were actually hit by a Lorry (large mack type truck) within minutes! He came over into our lane, but when we pulled over he exclaimed about how it was our fault and so on.

We were shell shocked, and did not argue - headed out of town. More adventures, and an enormous amount of terror ensued before we sort of made it to the outskirts of the city. A kind looking fellow was walking down the sidewalk, and we stopped to ask for help.

I know I looked composed to him, but it took everything in me to refrain from grabbing him by the shirt, pulling him close and growling 'GET IN THE CAR!! GET US OUT OF THIS CITY!' I swear, I nearly could have held him at gun point, if that's what it would've taken to find relief from the extreme fear and holy terror I was feeling.

Other than that day, it's been a fabulous trip. Tonight we are staying at a place you just dream of finding - a big old English home in the countryside. The English people have been enormously friendly, and they love us Americans - gosh-aweful accents and all!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2004, 02:13 AM   #25
twelli
Diamond Member

did anyone tell you? they drive on the LEFT side of the road!!!

but seriously, be CAREFUL when leaving a parking lot to drive out on a street without cars on it. it is easy to forget were you are and without knowing it you see another lorry approaching you on your (right-wrong) side. Believe my I have been there, have done that. Also, always look twice in both directions when crossing a street.

Old 08-10-2004, 10:08 PM   #26
veruca salt
Platinum Member

haha! oh driving in London. I remember trying to get to Wembley and somehow ending up in the queue for a shopping centre car park in Watford[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-12-2004, 05:20 PM   #27
Smiles
Diamond Member

Driving on the let has worked well - I think we've got it all down to a science. I am the navigator most of the time. Good thing because I read maps well, but don't have an inate sense of directions. On fact, I have determined that my inner compass thinks I was born in the southern hemisphere. I often have it all backwards if I am not using a map and road signs.

Anyway! We are on the southern cast of England - Brighton to be exact. It's quite lovely. My friend's hubby joined us yesterday, and he takes over driving tomorrow - God bless him! We all stayed at Amberley Castle last night - a real castle. I had my own room, and was it ever spectacular. It's the stuff dreams are made of!!

We have interviews to conduct for the next 3 days, and then we should go to Tintagel on sunday - rumoured to be the ruins of King Arthurs palace. Can't wait~!!

I cxonfess, I haven't had beer since I have gotten here, but I have had more wine in the past week than I think I've had in my whole life! That's sayign something - as a few of you will know! LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I'm not pub hopping on my own. Instead I'm updating you folks. [img]i/expressions/heart.gif[/img] Cheers! Miss you guys!

Love,
Smiles [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]