Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-23-2002, 03:37 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Stojakovic Wins the Euroscar
Peja Voted Europe's Best

MILANO, ITAY -- January 22, 2002 – Predrag “Peja” Stojakovic of the Sacramento Kings won the coveted 2001 Euroscar on Tuesday, La Gazzetta dello Sport’s annual award to the top European basketball player. The newpaper is Europe’s top selling and Italy’s oldest daily sports newspaper with a daily circulation of more than 700,000.

Since its inception in 1979, the 23rd annual Euroscar was created to recognize the top European basketball player. For the third time in the history of the award, the top three spots have been awarded to NBA players. Dirk Nowitzki (Dallas Mavericks) and Pau Gasol (Memphis Grizzlies) round out the top three. Previously in 1993, the late Drazen Petrovic, Toni Kukoc (Atlanta Hawks) and Detlef Schrempf (formerly of the Portland Trail Blazers) were the top three winners respectively while in 1996 it was Kukoc, Predrag Danilovic (formerly of the Dallas Mavericks) and Arvydas Sabonis (formerly of the Portland Trail Blazers).

Other NBA players who have won the Euroscar, a great honor in European basketball, include Sabonis, a six-time winner (1984, 85, 88, 95, 97, 99); Kukoc, a five-time winner (90, 91, 94, 96, 98); and Petrovic (86, 89, 92, 93). The 2000 Euroscar was awarded to Italy’s Gregor Fucka, the first Italian to win since 1983, when Italy's legendary Dino Meneghin was recognized for outstanding achievement in European basketball.

The Euroscar, known as European basketball’s “Oscar”, has a committee composed of coaches, players and sportswriters from 14 different countries, who submit their vote for the best “European Basketball Player” from the previous calendar year. All the best European players took part in the voting process, many of whom play in the NBA including Vlade Divac, Hidayet Turkoglu (both of the Sacramento Kings); Nowitzki; Kukoc and Gasol.

2001 EUROSCAR – Final Results
1) Predrag Stojakovic, Sacramento Kings (Yugoslavia) --94
2) Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks (Germany) --71
3) Pau Gasol, Memphis Grizzlies (Spain ) --32
4) Deian Bodiroga, Panathinaikos Athen (Yugoslavia) --17
5) Hidayet Turkoglu, Sacramento Kings (Turkey) --11

The following is a list of past Euroscar winners:

1979 Vladimir Tkachenko (Russia)
1980 Drazen Dalipagic (Yugoslavia)
1981 Dragan Kicanovic (Yugoslavia)
1982 Dragan Kicanovic (Yugoslavia)
1983 Dino Meneghin (Italy)
1984 Arvydas Sabonis (Russia)
1985 Arvydas Sabonis (Russia)
1986 Drazen Petrovic (Yugoslavia)
1987 Nikos Galis (Greece)
1988 Arvydas Sabonis (Russia)
1989 Drazen Petrovic (Yugoslavia)
1990 Toni Kukoc (Yugoslavia)
1991 Toni Kukoc (Croatia)
1992 Drazen Petrovic (Croatia)
1993 Drazen Petrovic (Croatia)
1994 Toni Kukoc (Croatia)
1995 Arvydas Sabonis (Lituania)
1996 Toni Kukoc (Croatia)
1997 Arvydas Sabonis (Lituania)
1998 Toni Kukoc (Croatia)
1999 Arvydas Sabonis (Lituania)
2000 Gregor Fucka (Italy)

Source: Peja Voted Europe's Best
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2002, 03:57 PM   #2
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Thats a total farsce...thats all I'll say on that
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 03:58 PM   #3
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Even though he's not the better player, Peja's team did win the tourney.

Therefore he is deserving.
Old 01-23-2002, 05:16 PM   #4
realclipsfan
Banned

realclipsfan is on a distinguished road

well that basically puts dirk 1 more notch down on my top 20 players. i surely hope that puts that dirk-peja comparison to rest. peja is a better player like i have said all along. this is no knock on dirk, if it was then you cant fault just me. there's people who's involved with who voted for peja rather than dirk. i love dirk though, he's a great player.
realclipsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 05:24 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Peja is a great player - maybe even a top 25 NBA player. But this was a beauty contest - nobody in the NBA would take Peja over Dirk. The talent difference is just too great.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 05:35 PM   #6
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Look who won it in 2000. Anybody believe Fucka was better than Dirk or Peja in that year? Rod1975 is right, this is a general award for European basketball and Peja's Serbian team won the European Championships. As the best player on the winning team, he's a valid choice for this year.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 05:55 PM   #7
BiteMeVescey

BiteMeVescey is on a distinguished road

Does anyone think Sabonis was the best player in 1999? Sorry RCF but Peja plays for a traditional hoops power, while Germany isn't. That weighs heavily into the minds of those voters. You ask NBA folks around the league who they'd rather have and Dirk wins easily.
Old 01-23-2002, 06:00 PM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< Look who won it in 2000. Anybody believe Fucka was better than Dirk or Peja in that year? >>

HeHe - you said Fucka...

(in the fine tradition of Beavis and Butt-Head)
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 06:23 PM   #9
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

this newspaper or whatever it prides itself in being, just lost all credibility with anyone who knows anything about basketball. and thats about all i have to say about that.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:30 PM   #10
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Fucka fucka fucka fucka fucka
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 07:38 PM   #11
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

info on fucka

I like the quote: &quot;Fucka Penetrates! Fucka attacks the hole like a point guard, penetrating and devastating down the lane for some easy scores.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 11:52 PM   #12
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

<< &quot;Fucka Penetrates! Fucka attacks the hole like a point guard, penetrating and devastating down the lane for some easy scores. >>

ROFL,
that´s some funny shit madape
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 07:53 PM   #13
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Madape...aren't you and Mavinator releated? Your comedy stylings are quite similar.
Old 01-25-2002, 08:38 PM   #14
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Evilmav is my brother and madape is Evilmav's old homeboy.
Old 01-26-2002, 01:23 AM   #15
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Just look at the list of past winners.
Only two do not come out of (ex) USSR or (ex) Yugoslavia countrys (both countrys now being split into a lot of other countrys like Lituania or Croatia). So anybody should be able to see whats going on.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 09:06 PM   #16
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

Yea, Dirk is worse then Peja. Hmmm..... ppg, dirk! Reb. dirk! Blocks, dirk! pps, dirk! ft made, dirk! pp48 min, dirk! I rest my case! And wow, I didnt know you could be a top 10 scorer and top 10 rebounder, but only a top 20 player, real clippers fan, I think you legally qualify for retardation!
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 09:32 PM   #17
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Dirk77, I think it is time to lay off of RCF. Ok he has gotten under the skin of many prior to his return to the board, and yes I was over at the LMF board when the stuff hit the fan, but the moderator of this board has decided to give him another chance. So in the spirit of this board disagreement is fine, but name calling, and rude remarks are not. If RCF slips up then I am sure it will be handled at that time. Until then I believe we should give him a clean slate. By the way, welcome to the board and I look forward to your posts.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote