Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
GermanFan

GermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to all
Default MVP talk

Mailbag: Week 17
By Maurice Brooks
Posted Mar 1 2007 11:50PM
Print E-mail RSS Feeds E-News Sign Up Share on Facebook
SECAUCUS, N.J., March 2, 2007 -- Although there are still a few weeks remaining in the NBA season, for all intents and purposes, the Race to the MVP is over. The only thing left to do is make sure the words "Suns forward Shawn Marion" are spelled properly on the Maurice Podoloff Trophy.

Before you waste your time hitting the letters on your keyboard in an attempt to write me an e-mail full of insults, remember, I’m just following the guidelines set forth by you the fan.

Marion sat out Wednesday’s game against Philadelphia because of a bruised right hand and left quadriceps. And what happened? The Suns promptly went out and lost 99-94 to the rebuilding Sixers.

You and I have been together now for 17 weeks, you as the reader, me as the writer. I’ve heard repeatedly from you how the Celtics’ Paul Pierce, the Bucks’ Michael Redd and the Hornets’ Chris Paul all deserve MVP consideration because their teams struggled without them in the lineup due to injury.

Math was never my strong point but I’ve received more e-mails than I can count stating that because the Suns instantly began losing when Steve Nash was hurt and started winning once he came back that he is a lock to three-peat as MVP.

And hello Houston. Yes, I received all of your “We-lost-to-the-freaking-Celtics-with-Tracy-McGrady-out-of-the-lineup-e-mails”.

I just chose to ignore them all. Until now.

Here is a quick lesson people: Having your team not perform at optimum level when your superstar is in street clothes doesn’t mean that he is the MVP of the league.

The reason players are backups is because they are not as good as the starters. So of course teams are going to struggle without their all-world or MVP candidates and play much better when they return to the lineup.

Do we need Dirk Nowitzki to sit out 10 games just so that we can see how important of a role he plays for the Mavericks? Of course not.

Plus, there is something to be said about a player showing up for work everyday. You can’t help your team or improve your MVP ranking while playing the role of cheerleader on the bench.

And by the way, I guess Houston’s Yao Ming stinks because the Rockets have been successful while he rehabs his knee.

If the Suns won every game while Nash was out, would the same Phoenix fans e-mail me telling me that Nash is any less valuable?

I didn’t think so.

And while we’re talking, correct me if I’m wrong but the last time I checked this was the 2006-07 NBA season. When Lakers guard Kobe Bryant scored 81 points last season it was one of the most impressive athletic feats I ever witnessed.

But like I said, that was last season. Bryant will not capture the MVP trophy this season because of what he did a year ago so stop asking me to move him up the rankings based on that reason.

And another thing (as you can tell, I had some things to get off my chest), no more, “I love (insert favorite player)" e-mails.

If you’re going to take the time and respond to something in the Race to the MVP, at least back it up. I could care less if it is positive or negative, thought provoking or down right silly. Just don’t waste the time sending an e-mail that only says “Elton Brand is da man.”

Ok, that's it for now. Time to respond to your e-mail.
GermanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Plus, there is something to be said about a player showing up for work everyday. You can’t help your team or improve your MVP ranking while playing the role of cheerleader on the bench.
I like this guy.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

This whole article is just stating the obvious. But unfortunately, to most people, this stuff isn't obvious.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
SladeRider

SladeRider will become famous soon enough

It seems most people just go on and on about if a player doesn't play and their team loses, he's a lock to be MVP, see Steve Nash.

I don't know if the guys who vote for MVP get to see practices or not but I would believe if they did, Dirk would be top of hte list by far at the moment because they would see him show up even if he's not 100%.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Dirk isn't the MVPs' MVP

Nowitzki has credentials, but former winners say Nash is the man

03:09 AM CST on Thursday, March 1, 2007
[By David Moore / The Dallas Morning News]

If you go on myspace.com two or three times a day to share your thoughts on why Dirk Nowitzki will be the Most Valuable Player, don't read any further. You'll only become upset.

If you wore that "Dirk for MVP" T-shirt to the office today, you may want to pull it over your face and shield your eyes.

Not everyone shares your conviction.

Sure, Nowitzki is respected. What's not to admire about a hard-working, high-scoring forward who picks up double-doubles as effortlessly as most people pick up their morning cup of Cinnamon Dolce Latte? How can you ignore the best player on a Mavericks team that goes a month or more between losses?

So we conducted a survey of our own. There are five active players in the league who have won the MVP award. We talked to each of them over the last two weeks and asked who would receive their vote this season.

San Antonio's Tim Duncan and Minnesota's Kevin Garnett went with Steve Nash.

Denver's Allen Iverson said he would vote for either Nash or Nowitzki. Take your pick.

Miami's Shaquille O'Neal sided with teammate Dwyane Wade. O'Neal would probably have a different vote today since Wade is out with a dislocated shoulder, but it wouldn't be Nowitzki. The Mavericks forward didn't make The Diesel's Fave 5.

The only MVP to give Nowitzki a thumbs-up at this point is his good friend Nash. Why not? He's already won two of them. Besides, it would be in poor taste for the Phoenix point guard to publicly vote for himself.

We assume that Nash considers his former teammate the clear choice for the award?

"I don't know about clear," Nash said. "It's such a strange thing to try to quantify. But I would say he's at the top of the list.

"It's hard. You could make a case for a lot of guys who deserve it."

You could. One guy in the discussion last season, Cleveland's LeBron James, will make his only regular-season appearance tonight at American Airlines Center. James was second on O'Neal's list.

But no one from the Eastern Conference will win the award this season. If you think that's a possibility, you were surprised that Forest Whitaker beat out Will Ferrell for best actor.

And yes, we know Ferrell wasn't nominated. That's the point. No one from the East should be, either.

The MVP race will come down to Nash and Nowitzki. Those players and their teams are performing at such high levels that it's difficult for anyone else to insert themselves into the debate.

Nowitzki received only one first-place vote from the active MVPs. O'Neal casually mentioned the Mavericks forward sixth after Wade, James, Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady and Nash. But Nowitzki was no lower than second on the other three lists.

"I think Dirk has had one heck of a year," Duncan said. "But even though it would be his third time in a row, it's hard to bet against Steve."

Garnett expressed a similar sentiment. He agreed with Duncan that Nowitzki has expanded his game, built his confidence and become a go-to player. But he also went with Nash.

It's interesting. The two power forwards on this exclusive list each voted for the point guard over the power forward.

"Steve Nash right now is a major, major part of why his team wins," Garnett said. "He has a great cast of guys around him, but he's a major part of them winning.

"When you think of MVP, you think of that kind of influence on your team. He would be my leader right now just off how he makes everyone around him better. At the same time, he's able to score. He's able to do some different things. He's able to impact the game.

"The one player who stands out is Steve Nash."

And Nash is the one player in this group who stands up for Nowitzki.

"They have the best record and he does as much for his team as anybody," Nash said.

Give that man a "Dirk for MVP" T-shirt.

The good news for Nowitzki is that none of these players vote on the award. The media does. Still, you have to think their views are mirrored by many in the media. It appears the Mavericks have some more campaigning to do.

Anyone for a Dirk Nowitzki Coozie?
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:57 PM   #6
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

You see Nash is still the only guy that really supports Dirk, yet all the Nash haters here cant stand for him to win a 3rd one. I never get that about people on here. Dirk and Nash are very close, for most of the year I would have gone with Nash, but now I think its Dirk unless Nash finishes the season really strong.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #7
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
You see Nash is still the only guy that really supports Dirk, yet all the Nash haters here cant stand for him to win a 3rd one. I never get that about people on here. Dirk and Nash are very close, for most of the year I would have gone with Nash, but now I think its Dirk unless Nash finishes the season really strong.

I really don't see how a player's personal relationship with another player is in any way relevant to whether or not that person should win a MVP award.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 03-02-2007 at 03:04 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

So...

We had one vote for Ross Perot (Shaq says Wade?)

3 votes for Nash

1 kind of vote for Dirk

and 1 clear vote for Dirk

and we're supposed to be ashamed?

Quote:
If you wore that "Dirk for MVP" T-shirt to the office today, you may want to pull it over your face and shield your eyes.
Yeah ok.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk's not black.. Perhaps if he painted himself black and then played the remainder of the stretch run at the same level he's played all season, then he'd probably get more support. Obviously, I'm joking... haha, hehe

In all seriousness, who cares. Most of these guys can barely read, so why in the world do we care what they think about who should or should not be the MVP?

Last edited by Murphy3; 03-02-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:35 PM   #10
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

That Moore article isn't very good. Do any of those people have a vote?
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #11
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

I think it's best we all prepare for the jobbing.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #12
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

If theres more than a 5 game differential between the Mavericks and the second best team I think Dirks hould definitely get it (even if we dont win 70...) of course they wouldnt even mention that little fact and automatically vote for Nash because of the blinding evidence that he makes his teamates better because he gives them shots... something a point guard is supposed to do. Maybe we should play Dirk at the PG for a season.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #13
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all

can anyone explain the MVP voting procedure to me? who is allowed to vote and who determines the voters?

Last edited by Pongo; 03-02-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:10 PM   #14
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
...automatically vote for Nash because of the blinding evidence that he makes his teamates better because he gives them shots... something a point guard is supposed to do.
you've way too much of a grasp of the obvious to be a TNT analyst....

...it kills me when I hear guys talk about how unselfish a player Steve Nash is .... kind of like praising Peyton Manning for giving the ball up so that Dallas Clark can score more often.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:33 PM   #15
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
If theres more than a 5 game differential between the Mavericks and the second best team I think Dirks hould definitely get it (even if we dont win 70...) of course they wouldnt even mention that little fact and automatically vote for Nash because of the blinding evidence that he makes his teamates better because he gives them shots... something a point guard is supposed to do. Maybe we should play Dirk at the PG for a season.
key word there is "supposed to do". How many do it and how many do it well...not many. In fact rite now theres Nash, Williams, Kidd, and CP3 who are the best at it and Nash is on top.

Now I want Dirk to get it,if he doesn't I want Nash to get it because he does deserve it regardless if its his 3rd , but for some people on here it seems too much to handle. And I bet if he was still a Mav and won all these no one on here would complain.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:03 PM   #16
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo
can anyone explain the MVP voting procedure to me? who is allowed to vote and who determines the voters?
The MVP voting is like the presidential voting in Florida, except more convoluted and and a lot more more ambigious.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #17
WurzburgBorn

WurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to all

This is why a big campaign for Nowitzki as MVP is necessary. Even the media in Dallas has trouble getting on board. Or maybe Moore's just trying to get on Cold Pizza?
WurzburgBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #18
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Ok... so f*ck Duncan, f*ck KG, Shaq can go to f*cking donut hell!!!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:36 PM   #19
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Duncan, Shaq, KG, etc. are probably voting on who's been seen on the most highlight clips. Nash makes more high light reels because he passes to guys who make fancy dunks. Dirk is boringly efficient in his fundamental excellence of playing the game of basketball. Great fundamental plays make poor highlight reel clips. MVP should equal Most Videoed Player.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:58 PM   #20
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

LOL Most Videoed Player.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:15 AM   #21
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Kevin Duncan and Tim Garnett are just afraid to admit that Dirk has passed them to become the No. 1 Power Forward in the NBA.

Shaq is just a clown...

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”

Last edited by twelli; 03-03-2007 at 08:58 PM.
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:04 AM   #22
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

That is so right Twelli. KG and Timmy are afraid to admit the truth. P*ssys

Old 03-03-2007, 02:04 AM   #23
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Donut Hell sounds delicious.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:25 AM   #24
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
Donut Hell sounds delicious.

I can live solely on Pizza for the rest of my life. Wonder if there's a pizza hell? Yummy!!

Old 03-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #25
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
key word there is "supposed to do". How many do it and how many do it well...not many. In fact rite now theres Nash, Williams, Kidd, and CP3 who are the best at it and Nash is on top.

Now I want Dirk to get it,if he doesn't I want Nash to get it because he does deserve it regardless if its his 3rd , but for some people on here it seems too much to handle. And I bet if he was still a Mav and won all these no one on here would complain.
I agree, theres presently a gross lack of true point guards in the league and that makes all of the previously listed players who do have good playmaking skills valuable. However I don't really like that argument for Nash, there have been countless great true point guards in the NBA but how many guys in the games history have had Dirk's size and skill set? It's more rare and thus you could argue more valuable, the league at the moment just seems to be in a drought of shoot first points that's making Nash's game look rare, it's really not.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #26
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I heard a couple interesting stats on Dirk during the local broadcast of the Cavs game - not sure how accurate my numbers are, but it was something like 36 double-doubles this season & he hasn't missed a free throw in his last 42 attempts... Anyone know the exact numbers? Seems like the workings of the MVP to me...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #27
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

I heard a stat last night that could give Dirk the edge.

It's the 30,10,5 line. 30 points 10 rebounds and 5 assists in a game.

As of January 29, Dirk had 5 games in which he reached this line, Kobe had 3, Lebron had 3.

As of the end of February, Dirk had 9 games while Kobe and Lebron still sat on 3.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #28
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRB
Dirk is boringly efficient in his fundamental excellence of playing the game of basketball. Great fundamental plays make poor highlight reel clips. MVP should equal Most Videoed Player.
Well Duncan should relate to that real well, so I'm not sure why he's not appreciating it. Unless he's jealous.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:20 PM   #29
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that the last 2 power forwards to get the MVP don't want to let Dirk into the club.

Last year, they gave it to Nash a 2nd time because he was playing better than the year before, and doing it without Amare. Well, Amare is back, so Nash's job just became easier. Its much easier to find the open man when Amare has 2 defenders draped on him. I'm not sure Nash is a better PG than Stockton..he just has better options to pass to, and a system built around his specific skills. He's no where close to as good as Magic, so it would be a shame and a sin for him to get 3 MVPs. The writers who vote need to have a sense of history.

On the other hand, Dirk is playing better than last year, and better than last month. His assists alone show how hard he is working on playing smarter and making his teammates better. His huge foul on King James saved that game, and was a brilliant play on national TV.

But watch ESPN, and Dirk is the invisible man. If he doesn't win it, it has nothing to do with his game... its just a testimonial to how ignorant and lazy sport writers are, to let the way ESPN chooses highlights determine who is the MVP.

Last edited by G-Man; 03-03-2007 at 08:22 PM.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #30
LRB
Guru

The most important stat for any player is Wins. Dirk has more than any other player in serious contention for MVP. He goes for numero 50 tonight.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:06 PM   #31
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

Numero Sinquenta here we come!!!

Old 03-04-2007, 12:26 AM   #32
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Just when the Chinese commentators of CCTV5 (thanks for the tip Pongo!) talked about that Dirk didn't have his shot and was therefore shooting less than normal, bang, Dirk makes two 3's and a 3-point play. Terry probably had the better game, but when the team needed Dirk the most, he delivered, and that's why he is most valuable.

Btw. some of Dirk's passes have Nash quality; I have yet to see a Dirk-quality rebound from Nash... : >)

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”

Last edited by twelli; 03-04-2007 at 12:27 AM.
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:51 AM   #33
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Living the Fantasy: 2nd Trimester Awards

By NBA TV's Rick Kamla

Back on Jan. 5 we debuted the Trimester Awards, and it went over about as well as Britney Spears’ new streamlined hairdo. By the way, who advised her to go Telly Savalis on her dome?

(Psst… Freaks…crawl inside for a second. I’m not the jealous type. Never have been. But I am jealous of the fact Spears, despite living like a jackass over the past couple years, still has tens of millions of dollars lying around. She’s literally stupid-proof in terms of money. Doesn’t that tick you off? And whatever it is they call K-Fed, could it please just go away because it’s 15 minutes were up decades ago. It’s lingering like something Fat Bastard might waft into the atmosphere.)

Let's start at MVP, where the two-timer Steve Nash and no-timer Dirk Nowitzki have emerged as the only real candidates. Kobe, Gilbert, Duncan, T-Mac, LeBron, Bosh, and Melo are in the paragraph, but the only sentence that matters has the names Nash and Nowitzki in it.

One-third of the way into the season I thought Nash was the pick for MVP because he was posting career-highs almost across the board, leading the Suns in scoring, and keeping the Suns neck-n-neck with the Mavs. The way I figured it, if Nash was playing at a higher level than the previous two MVP seasons and if his team was winning all the time, then somebody had to rise above Nash and literally take the crown off his head.

Well, Dirk has done exactly that, rising above his good buddy and former teammate to move ahead in the race for 2006-07 NBA MVP.

As we were coming down the stretch in 04-05 and there was such debate about who should win MVP between Nash and Shaq, it was too close for me to call so I used regular season record as the determining factor for MVP. Nash and the Suns won more games (62-59) than Shaq and the Heat, so I cast my mythical vote for Nash.

(By the way, I am disappointed with The Godfather for saying that Nash’s MVP awards are “tainted”. First of all, how are they “tainted”? What’s tainted, Shaq, are your individual numbers, which would be a lot higher had you stayed in better shape and been able to play more games. Second of all, if you’re going to say something stupid like that, you gotta back it up with a reason. To say Nash’s MVPs are “tainted” is spiteful and immature as the Zenmaster saying the Spurs’ 1999 title deserved an asterisk in the record books. Speaking of coaches, I’m also disappointed in Pat Riley for admitting to voting for Bush. While in DC, Pat reminded the world that “if you don’t vote you don’t count”, and maybe that’s true. How ironic, then, that a miscount is the reason why Bush is our president.)

Because this year's race between Nash and Nowitzki is a virtual tie as we head for home, I suggest that we let the standings determine who hoists the Maurice Podoloff Trophy before a home playoff game this spring. As I key these words, Dirk's Mavs have a five-game lead on Nash's Suns, so I gotta flip-flop my current MVP choice to the greatest German import ever. Yes, better than Beck’s.

A five-game lead with 24 games to go places Dirk firmly and securely in the driver's seat, but that isn't the only reason I'm flip-flopping my MVP choice.

Both dudes have been significantly injured this season. Nash missed the four games before the All-Star break to rest his ailing right shoulder, and the Suns drooped to 1-3 in those games. Dirk incurred what might go down in history as the ugliest non-serious injury when Chris Wilcox stepped on Dirk’s in-step such that the outside of his ankle touched the floor, but he returned for the Mavs' next game.

I'm not comparing the injuries or saying one dude is tougher than the other. They both rank among the league's top warriors. All I'm saying is that Dirk has been there for 57 of 58 games and Nash has been there for 52 of 58 games.

Do the math, freaks. The Suns lost three games to the Mavs in the standings when Nash was sidelined before the break, and the Mavs currently lead by five games. That means 60 percent of Dallas’ lead over Phoenix can be blamed on the injury to Nash. (Again, not that anyone here is down on Nash for getting hurt—or resting the shoulder. I’m not sayin’, I just sayin’. Know what I’m sayin’?)

More math for you, and this is one statistic that does not lie. Dirk has played exactly five more games than Nash and the Mavs lead the Suns by five games.

In other words, the Suns and Mavs were locked in a stare down and neither blinked until Nash got hurt. That pesky shoulder injury has been the difference in a race that was too close to call.

Let's get back my statement that Dirk has risen above Nash this year.

Yes, Nash is having the best season of his career, setting new career-highs with 18.9 points, 11.8 assists, .532 from the field, and .482 from deep, and ranking sixth across eight cats. But Dirk is having the best year of his career too, and it's arguably better than the year Nash is having.

Dirk is gunning 25.4 points a night, third best average of his career, and he's pulling 9.6 boards, the fourth best mark of his career. However, the best 7-foot shooter of all-time is having one of the all-time shooting seasons, setting new career-highs with .504 from the field, .423 from three, and .908 from free. Last year Nash joined Larry Bird as the only players in NBA history to go 50-40-90 on the percentages, and it looks like Dirk is going to join them this season.

But wait, there's more, as Dirk is dropping a career-high 3.4 dimes per game, and he ranks 5 to Nash’s 6 in the fantasy rankings.

One sure sign of an MVP season is adding a wrinkle to one’s game, and that's exactly what Dirk has done in terms of making those around him better.

Finally, the Mavs and Suns have played twice this year and Dirk's Mavs have won both meetings. In fact, Dirk hit the game-winner over Shawn Marion in their last meeting in Dallas.

And to give you an even better idea for how epic Dirk and the Mavs have been this season, chew on some of these stats.

-- First team in NBA history with three separate winning streaks of 12+ games in the same season.

-- With a victory against the Magic at home on Saturday night the Mavs will extend the current winning streak to 15 games and reach the 50-win plateau.

-- 11-0 on the second of back-to-backs.

-- With a win on Saturday, the Mavs will not only run their franchise record home winning streak to 22 games, they will match the greatest 55-game run in NBA history, joining the 95-96 Bulls who went 50-5 on their way to a 72-win season.

There's still time for Nash to pass Dirk, but if Dirk and the Mavs keep the train on the tracks, The Best International Player Ever will get my mythical vote for MVP.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:11 AM   #34
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRB
Duncan, Shaq, KG, etc. are probably voting on who's been seen on the most highlight clips. Nash makes more high light reels because he passes to guys who make fancy dunks. Dirk is boringly efficient in his fundamental excellence of playing the game of basketball. Great fundamental plays make poor highlight reel clips. MVP should equal Most Videoed Player.
Paris Hilton is a lock!!!!!
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:13 AM   #35
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
-- With a win on Saturday, the Mavs will not only run their franchise record home winning streak to 22 games, they will match the greatest 55-game run in NBA history, joining the 95-96 Bulls who went 50-5 on their way to a 72-win season.
That's some lofty company there. Mavs only one of 2 teams to go 50-5 over a 55 game stretch.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:39 AM   #36
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man
I'm not sure Nash is a better PG than Stockton..
Not sure??!! That is quite a slap in the face to John Stockton. Stockton was twice the player Nash is.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:05 AM   #37
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Nowitzki Continues to Pour It On
In Areas That Count, Mavs Star Looks Phenomenal
By JIM ARMSTRONG
AOL
Sports Commentary

One of his legs is slightly longer than the other. With that scraggly goatee of his, he's a dead ringer for Shaggy in the Scooby Doo cartoons. And word is he has quit drinking beer to try to get in better shape.

A weekend warrior in a 6-foot-and-under league?

Not exactly.

Try the NBA MVP-in-waiting.

Dirk Nowitzki doesn't look the part of an MVP. He just plays one on TV.

A month ago, it looked like the Dirkmeister's best buddy, Steve Nash, was headed for his third straight MVP award. No more. Now it's Nowitzki's to lose.

Nowitzki is the real deal, the complete package, the perfect storm of MVP candidates. He not only has been the NBA's best player this season, he plays for the league's best team. Or maybe you haven't noticed that the Mavericks lose games about as often as Brad Pitt loses the girl.

A kid from Germany dominating the world's best basketball league in America's foremost football town. Right. We all knew that was bound to happen. And while we're on the subject, we all sort of figured Britney Spears would get drunk and take a lawn mower to her melon.

And to think, Nowitzki's story is even bigger than it appears. This is no mere superstar you're reading about. We're talking full-fledged phenomenon.

He hasn't just emerged into an elite NBA player. Along the way, Nowitzki broke the mold and shattered a stereotype. He changed how the NBA views European players. He's the reason NBA teams spend more time scouting the Republic of Georgia than the University of Georgia.

Fact is, Nowitzki has changed the game more than any other current NBA player. We had never seen the likes of him until he arrived on the scene, something no other NBA player can say. Think about it. Before Shaq, there was Wilt. Before LeBron, Magic. Before Kobe, Michael.

The Dirkmeister? Before he arrived, the typical European 7-footer was a role player. His job description read something like this: Take up space, clog the lane and spread around the fouls against opposing centers. Oh, and if the 24-second clock is winding down, feel free to shoot. As long as you're within two feet of the hoop.

Now for the McScouting report on Nowitzki: Can't be guarded. He's one of those rare forces who's too big for small forwards and too quick for power forwards. Guard him tightly and he'll drive the lane and Danke Schoen in your face. Give him his space and he'll drop a three on you faster than you can say auf Wiedersehen.

He is, without a doubt, the greatest shooter ever in the 7-foot-and-up division. And one of these years, he's destined to become the first European player elected to the Hall of Fame on the strength of his NBA career. Others -- Sergei Belov, Kresimir Cosic and Drazen Petrovic, just to name a few -- have preceded him in the Hall, but not because of their careers in the Association.

It's not like Nowitzki just exploded on the NBA scene. He has been in the league since 1998-99, when he averaged 8.2 points a game as a rookie. A year later, he improved to 17.5. Then 21.8. Then 23.4. Then 25.1. Now he's good for 25-plus every night. Unless, of course, the Mavs need him to go for 40.

By now, we've become accustomed to Nowitzki's greatness, but, make no doubt, things are different for him this season. As recently as two years ago, he was viewed as a one-dimensional player, a shooter for the ages, but not a franchise player on a championship-level team.

No more. The Mavericks aren't in the mix of teams with a legitimate chance to win the NBA title. For the first time ever, they're expected to win it. The all-star break still is in their rear-view mirror and already they've peeled off three double-digit winning streaks.

Nowitzki is so focused on winning the championship that he has quit drinking beer. No really, I'm not making this up. Mavs assistant coach Del Harris broke the news to reporters after a recent game. Cracked Harris, "That's pretty strong for a German."

The Mavs are destined to finish with the league's best regular-season record, whereupon they'll have homecourt advantage in the playoffs. They faced a similar situation last season, jumping to a 2-0 lead over Miami in the NBA Finals, only to let it slip away.

Don't count on it happening again. Says here the Mavs are going to be popping champagne after the playoffs. And who knows. Maybe Nowitzki will crack a brewski.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:16 AM   #38
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Living the Fantasy: 2nd Trimester Awards

By NBA TV's Rick Kamla

Speaking of coaches, I’m also disappointed in Pat Riley for admitting to voting for Bush. While in DC, Pat reminded the world that “if you don’t vote you don’t count”, and maybe that’s true. How ironic, then, that a miscount is the reason why Bush is our president.)
I don't care if the article is supporting Dirk for MVP. I stopped reading after this bullshit.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:57 AM   #39
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Last year Nash joined Larry Bird as the only players in NBA history to go 50-40-90 on the percentages, and it looks like Dirk is going to join them this season.
How come this never comes up when people talk about the crime against history that is multiple Nash MVP's?

Spiral: Stockton "twice the player?" Thanks for the laugh! Stockton was a great player, but his limits were readily apparent. He forged a stellar career out of squeezing absolutely 100% from his available skills. But he didn't have anywhere NEAR twice the skills Nash does.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:00 AM   #40
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
How come this never comes up when people talk about the crime against history that is multiple Nash MVP's?

Spiral: Stockton "twice the player?" Thanks for the laugh! Stockton was a great player, but his limits were readily apparent. He forged a stellar career out of squeezing absolutely 100% from his available skills. But he didn't have anywhere NEAR twice the skills Nash does.
I never said he was twice as talented. I said he was twice the player. Maybe if Nash hadn't waited until he was over 30 to get his lazy Canadian ass into shape for the first time in his career, I might feel differently.