Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-10-2002, 11:23 PM   #1
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

Is it my imagination or does Dirk mirror Duncun in his attitude. And Brand...humm I think he would be an interesting addition to this team. Dirk is a great player but lacks the drive to assert himself, therefore the team. He (Dirk) appears not to have that ego/self esteem that is neccesary to be a "star".
He is developing into the "all around player". But lacks the motivation to become "great". He doesn't have that "killer" instinct. I recall reading somewhere that he didn't believe he had what it takes to play in the NBA to begin with. He doubts himself.

I found it magnified with Nellie only putting Dirk into the game when Nash was there to hold Dirks hand. He has the talent, he has to grow thicker skin.

On another note (should be another thread) I though it was a shame to see the boo birds come out on Kobe in his own hometown like that. What's wrong with people?
Old 02-11-2002, 01:04 AM   #2
LAC-HocusPocus
Banned

LAC-HocusPocus is on a distinguished road

It was very fun watching the young guys play in the game. Wang will be there next week as an center, I think he has a chance to be. Besides Shaq, who else is there really? I spotted him at the hotel all the players and their family and friends were staying at while in Philly. He seemed pretty excited about the whole thing, just as me and everyone else was really. Go Wang, good luck next year and I look forward to seeing you at All Star weekend next year.
LAC-HocusPocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 06:38 AM   #3
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

I think he needs self confidence, but he's still young. I know you're all going to say "he's the same age as *insert random star here* but the fact is he grew up in a small country town in Germany. He hasn't had people telling him all his life he is a star, like the young up & comings in the the USA get.
I've not been to Germany, but I can tell you from a non-American view point, that the way that American sports stars act is funny to me. Don't get me wrong, I love the NBA, but I wouldn't watch it for a long time simply because the attitudes & egos shit me.
It's why I like players like Steve & Dirk & the Mavs as a whole. They're understated, but still great.
Nash is great, without having to tell everyone about it. Dirk is great, he just has to believe in himself, but he'll be just as good if he keeps it to himself.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 07:06 AM   #4
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< It was very fun watching the young guys play in the game. Wang will be there next week as an center, I think he has a chance to be. Besides Shaq, who else is there really? I spotted him at the hotel all the players and their family and friends were staying at while in Philly. He seemed pretty excited about the whole thing, just as me and everyone else was really. Go Wang, good luck next year and I look forward to seeing you at All Star weekend next year. >>

Yeah it was exciting watching all the first timers. Are they having the all-star game again next week? I hadn't heard. I'm not up on the NBA schedule. I take it day by day. I didn't see very many people at the hotel, myself. I didn't want to bug all the players and make them think I was some kind of hanger on, so I mostly stayed in my room and played cards with the other assistant coaches. Me and Wang were pretty excited to be there. Maybe we'll get to go again next year.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 09:05 AM   #5
KEVIN_NY

KEVIN_NY is on a distinguished road

Wang was with me all the weekand in the hotel room and I doubt anyone else spotted him.

Seriously, it's the culture in which players grow up that shaped their personalities. Foreign players will always not as aggresive/arrogant as American players. Look at Dirk, Kukoc, Sarbonis, Divac, Paje, etc. It's impossible to dramatically change your personality after age, say, 20. So don't count on it. We should get some bangers to Mavs.

KEVIN_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 10:02 AM   #6
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

clipper bandwagoner, we are all so lucky that you were at the all star game, but still had time to post on the Shaq thread on Saturday night and all day Sunday. Too bad we all know that you were sitting at your parents house watching it all, and jerking off to the players that you once wiped up their sweat as an honorary towel boy. Yeah, we know that you are really good friends with them all...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 10:06 AM   #7
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

It was interesting to watch them in the game at the same time with Nash directing. I realize you can't make any generalizations on just a few minutes of playing time together, but I did think at the time that it did not look like it would be a good fit long term. Meaning, maybe scrap the Duncan plan and look in another direction. Dirk is not that far from Duncan now, and being on the allstars should go a long way to build his confidence.

He did look tentative the first few minutes, but didn't take too long to settle in, 12 pts. and 8 boards is a ry respectable first outing.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 10:20 AM   #8
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I think Jason Kidd said it the best, &quot;If you're looking to the future and winning a championship, you want to be on a team that Duncan is on. I'm not saying no other team can win it, but you obviously have the best chance with Duncan to dethroan Shaq.&quot;

They were asking him about him staying in New Jersey and how he wants to link his future with Tim Duncan. Mick while I agree with you when you say Dirk isn't far from Duncan, the fact is Duncan is where Dirk wants to get. He has the inside game both offensively and defensively and can stabilize your front line. I think Dirk will have that effect but will he ever have the effect that Duncan has on the boards, defensively in the post? Maybe or maybe not.

Granted Duncan will never be the perimeter player Dirk is, however we've seen perimeter players succeed in this league and in the end it's the defensive teams that win championships. So I don't know if I'd scrap the entire Duncan idea. It's highly unlikely he'll be here anyway, but it's nice to dream though.
Old 02-11-2002, 10:57 AM   #9
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

&quot;Too bad we all know that you were sitting at your parents house watching it all, and jerking off to the players that you once wiped up their sweat as an honorary towel boy.&quot;--Crippler

LOL Crippler....so hokey is actually saying he was at the all-star game? what a loser.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:20 AM   #10
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

I took Wang out for Philly Cheesecakes on Friday and he got soo sick he didn't leave his hotel room for the rest of the week. So we just stayed in our room and practiced on our English lessons.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 11:42 AM   #11
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

I don't think that Duncan will come here, and not because Cuban wouldn't try. My point is that Dirk is not that far behind, is better outside, so let's look for the interior help we need elsewhere, maybe even now, and don't wait another 1 1/2 years on Duncan.

It may be that we already have what we need inside here now. I still want to see more of Harvey in regular season games.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 12:48 PM   #12
Hales233
Golden Member

Chicago JK,
Aren't you friends with Michael Jordan too? LOL, great post dude [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2002, 03:46 PM   #13
TheKid
Diamond Member

I guess I'm on the same wavelength Mick, I don't think we should abandon trying to improve our front line now, you're right, if it's someone out there we should go after it.

I guess I thought you were saying since Dirk might be as good as Duncan that would be good enough for us. However now that I read your other post it doesn't seem like you were saying that. I think it's a LONG shot, actually I don't think Duncan will ever put on a Mavericks uniform, however that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to try and get him here or if there's someone of his caliber available go after them as well.
Old 02-11-2002, 04:03 PM   #14
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I still suspect that Brand will ultimately want out of Clipper-land. He would be a good target. But he won't be traded till it is clear that he won't go back to the Clippers. We'll have a good idea about that this off season after the Clippers keep or lose olikande (sp?). IF they lose him, it shows that the Clippers haven't changed and expect Brand and Odom both to eventually want out.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 04:33 PM   #15
LAC-HocusPocus
Banned

Sorry to everyone that I can AFFORD a laptop and some of you can't, I am sorry. Work harder at what you do, and maybe you could get rewarded for it. All it takes is an laptop and a wireless modem people that's all. Maybe 1 day you all could crack your piggie banks open and you all might have enough for an down payment. LOL, NOT!!!!!!! Wang or MJ wouldn't hang out with some of you morons people. You guys get off on trying to insult someone who is higher than you. Just work harder, stack your chips and just let them fall where they may. Good Luck though, and I cannot wait to go back to allstar weekend next year and see the guys again. Of course I will be seeing some of them this season. Like I have said all along, if Odom stays everyone stays with the Clippers. That's the bottom line, cause they all said so. I knew I would get that type of responses from some of you, well I wont resort to namecalling. I never said I knew Wang, or knew everyone, I said I spotted him at the hotel and that I cannot wait to see the guys again next year. Simple, do not hate me cause you guys couldn't experience AllStar Weekend, be happy someone did.
Old 02-11-2002, 04:50 PM   #16
TheKid
Diamond Member

Dooby, I'm sure Brand will want out of Clipper land because even if he resigns, he knows it's unlikely that all of the group (Odom, Miles, Richardson, Magette and McInnis) will all be able to return. If all of them don't return then that team will not be as exciting or explosive as it is now. Now if one or a few of them should leave and there's indication that some others might come then maybe he will stay. However he's experienced the rebuilding process with the Bulls, I'm sure now that he has just a taste of winning, he wants to stay or be with an organization that's winning.

One thing that makes him interesting for the Mavs is he seems like he's a guy who would take far less than what the Duncan's or McDyss's would take and he can put up just as impressive numbers. The one thing that I do like more about his double double's is that very RARELY are plays designed for him, he works for alot of his points and that's EXACTLY what the Mavs needs...

LAC, some of us did experience the All-star weekend and I didn't need a laptop or wireless modom... However the TV came in pretty damn handy and the view from my couch was GREAT! I enjoyed every minute that I watchd [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2002, 05:00 PM   #17
LAC-HocusPocus
Banned

TheKid, I was not trying to insult anyone but it was pretty clear that the others were trying to insult me. I am not getting into any of that, I have to much respect for some of the posters like yourself and the Mods. I am here to talk Hoops, I replied to a post and was immediately attacked. It's cool though, but once again I did not try and insult anyone man. Brand will sign on the dotted line IMO, just as Odom will this summer. I am not really to sure about Maggette though, but I am hoping he does. Also Kat, Dirk is a &quot;star&quot; already, superstar I am not sure but yes he is an &quot;star&quot; and will always be. What's your def. of an star? IMO Dirk will be ok, it's just that he has someone on his team already(Nash) who is the leader and will do all the things you are faulting him at. All he needs to do is play his game, and don't try and become something he is not.
Old 02-11-2002, 05:29 PM   #18
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

LAC?..Where were your seats at the game?
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 05:35 PM   #19
LAC-HocusPocus
Banned

Section 120, Row 13, why Blonde Bomber, were you there?
Old 02-11-2002, 05:48 PM   #20
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Just wondering, I thought the NBA holds all the lower bowl sections for them to pass out to there own people. And then the upper section goes to to people with Sixer Season ticks and then very few goes to general public.

So, we either caught you in a lie or your Dad works for the NBA higher up.
So which is it?

Cause I heard its impossible to get lower section seats at any All-Star game.

Again, just wondering.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 05:57 PM   #21
LAC-HocusPocus
Banned

LOL man, do you belive everything you hear? LOL, you can sit anywhere if you have money. I live in Dallas, not Philly. I have season tickets here in Dallas. You can sit anywhere you want, if you have the right money. LOL, man you are super funny, have you ever tried stand up? LOL, sorry man but that post man, it's not that well thought out. If you believe the NBA holds every single seat then you are crazy man, absolutley crazy. You can buy lower level seats, all it take is Cash Money man. Did you hear all those people booing Kobe? So all that booing came from the Upper Level? I didn't think so, LMAOO. Sorry man/woman you might want to re-think that post, and I will be happy to reply to it too. I couldv'e gotten up to 8 seats for the all star game man, all in the Lower Levels. I don't do Upper Levels at any Sporting Events, LOL you are too funny man. You should have your own show!!
Old 02-11-2002, 07:10 PM   #22
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

LAC,
I've been reading for months how the SIXER season ticket holders couldn't even get seats. Only 3,000 LOCAL season ticket holders got seats, and they were hand picked. The other seats were dispursed by the NBA to corporate sponsors and players' family.

Liar...
Old 02-11-2002, 07:39 PM   #23
LAC-HocusPocus
Banned

LOL, if you want to believe everything you hear you can be a big fool. I just looked on ebay and yahoo, and seen that both of them had Tickets for the Lower Level sections. Care to explain smart guy? Don't bother, I have proved yet another wrong folks. Where is my award for it? LOL, you guys are so funny. Of course I didn't have to pay for my seats because of all the people I know, anyone with money couldv'e bought an Lower Level seat. Trust me on this 1, surely any smart guy knows if you have Cash you couldv'e sat anywhere in the place you wanted to. If you think it was 15,000 worth of the NBA players' families and Corporate Sponsors there than you're stupid, yes I said stupid. Any smart person knows you cannot believe everything you read. The 1st Union Center seats 18 or 19,000 people, the NBA surely didnt use the other 15 or 16,000 for just the families and corporate sponsors. Hey any more smart ideas I can make backfire on you Ocelot? LOL, sorry people but if some of these guys keep posting this unthought out post, I have to reply and make them feel how they tried to make me. LOL, sorry to all not involved!!! Way to go fellas, keep them coming!
Old 02-11-2002, 07:42 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

it's amazing....i cannot believe we have to put up with his crap again
Murphy3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 07:52 PM   #25
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

once again, the bandwagoner is showing the Napoleon's Syndrom that he suffers from. You have a small penis don't you, bandwagoner? It's ok little man, they now have pills that are supposed to add 1-3 inches. Or you could opt for corrective surgery...whatever floats your boat.

Take it easy towel boy, or are you really a Funslinger??? I guess we'll never know...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
Old 02-11-2002, 07:54 PM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

haha..well, it really is gonna start now.
nice to see you back the crippler...i see you had a change of icons
Old 02-11-2002, 07:58 PM   #27
The Crippler
Diamond Member

what's up murph. Yeah, I think I've had about enough of this guy. It might get ugly again in here pretty soon.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:00 PM   #28
LAC-HocusPocus
Banned

No it's not gonna start, I will let the Mods handle him. I agree with you Murph, I think it's ashame you have a guy here trying to talk basketball and we have to put up with this again. For once I agree with Murph, it's ridiculous that we have to put up with this again. Murph, I am with you we shouldn't have to put up with people trying to get others to talk about other things not involved with basketball and the Mavs. Something has to be done about those type of guys aye Murph? I could get into an argument with Crippler but why? He is all talk behind a computer screen, so what? I am bigger than that, he can try and insult me all he want. I want call him names or try and insult him in any way. I will let the Mods take care of him, I have faith in them that they will take care of him.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:02 PM   #29
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< Sorry to everyone that I can AFFORD a laptop and some of you can't, I am sorry. Work harder at what you do, and maybe you could get rewarded for it. All it takes is an laptop and a wireless modem people that's all. Maybe 1 day you all could crack your piggie banks open and you all might have enough for an down payment. LOL, NOT!!!!!!! Wang or MJ wouldn't hang out with some of you morons people. You guys get off on trying to insult someone who is higher than you. Just work harder, stack your chips and just let them fall where they may. Good Luck though, and I cannot wait to go back to allstar weekend next year and see the guys again. Of course I will be seeing some of them this season. Like I have said all along, if Odom stays everyone stays with the Clippers. That's the bottom line, cause they all said so. I knew I would get that type of responses from some of you, well I wont resort to namecalling. I never said I knew Wang, or knew everyone, I said I spotted him at the hotel and that I cannot wait to see the guys again next year. Simple, do not hate me cause you guys couldn't experience AllStar Weekend, be happy someone did. >>

I don't know about the rest of the forum, but I believed everything you said in this post AND the one before. Except the one before, you said Wang would be at the all-star game next week. I didn't think they would have them so close together but I'm not, &quot;in the know&quot;. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

You strike me as, probably, the hard working, scholarly type that would generate a high rate of income and would have the kind of money to go to all manner of sports functions, both near and far away. I don't know why anyone would doubt your word.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 08:05 PM   #30
The Crippler
Diamond Member

&quot;He is all talk behind a computer screen&quot;

RCF, who showed up and who didn't? I think everyone here knows who is all talk and who is not...
Old 02-11-2002, 08:11 PM   #31
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

Base Line Guy is on a distinguished road

LAC is correct about seating at the Allstar game in Philly. I found 2 tix together 11 rows behind the basket for $2600 for the pair, unfortunately I didn't pull the trigger b/c my playoff invoice came in on he same day I was searching. Decided not to ever extend myself for a game that doesn't count in the win column.

Old 02-11-2002, 08:25 PM   #32
LAC-HocusPocus
Banned

Thank You Base Line Guy, good to see someone is not as less educated as some of these others are. It was extremely easy to get seats on the Lower Level. Crippler keep it man, you will get what you deserve in due time man. David I am sure you knew exactly what I meant. Just wait and see, Wang will be there next year for the actual All-Star game. All he needs is playing time and he will get it done.
Old 02-11-2002, 09:11 PM   #33
Hales233
Golden Member

Hey LA Cu*t you can't even spell you retard!!! But I'm sure you make millions by spending your entire day on a message board [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2002, 09:16 PM   #34
LAC-HocusPocus
Banned

OK thanks Hale, but I am sure I can spell better than you man. Keep up the good work buddy!!
Old 02-11-2002, 11:48 PM   #35
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I'll believe you were there as soon as you scan your tickets and post the pictures. Put your money where your mouth is.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:49 PM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

i'm sure baseline guy is also LAC-RFC.
he's trying his best to ruin this board
Old 02-12-2002, 02:15 AM   #37
LAC-HocusPocus
Banned

Murph come on man, that's not fair to Base Line Guy. You do not know that and Rob has already said stop with that BS, or face an suspension. I know I am not Base Line Guy, and I am sure DJ, Rob knows that. If I do that Ocelot I am doing what you want me to do, why would I do that? I do what I please man, I could easily scan a pic but why? LOL, man I aint going to I have nothing to prove to you ot Murph. Murph is really making a fool out of himself, he blames me to be RCF and Base Line Guy to be the both of us. Come come now, when is this going to stop Murph. You're really embarrassing yourself with this Murph, you might want to stop it buddy.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:04 AM   #38
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

For once, I agree with RCF. Murph, it's not fair to insult base line guy's intelligence by incinuating he's RCF.

&quot;If I do that Ocelot I am doing what you want me to do, why would I do that? I do what I please man, I could easily scan a pic but why?&quot;

Why? More like why NOT? 'Cause you don't HAVE the ticket to scan, cause your a LIAR.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:26 AM   #39
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Agreed with ocelot and HocusPocus. End it Murph.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 09:55 AM   #40
LAC_HocusPocus
Banned

LAC_HocusPocus is on a distinguished road

Guys, I want to apolagize for being such a jerk. I am jujst looking for acceptence from you guys. and want you all ot respect my opinions. I wasn't really at the allstar game, but thought that if i said I was, then you would believe me and like me. Agin, I am sorry, and it wont happen again man.

LOOOLLL! You guys are idiots! LOLLL!! sorry that's just a habit I have. it's hard to break. I'm trying.
LAC_HocusPocus is offline   Reply With Quote