Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-17-2002, 05:38 AM   #1
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Congrats, well deseved win here. It was a hard fought game in which Mexico just couldn´t score. The mexicans went a little nuts in the end with all those hard fouls. So now we´re going to meet in the quarterfinals on Friday. I´m really looking forward to that. The US is the underdog, but not by much.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2002, 06:56 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

WWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

USA USA USA!!!! !!! !! !

What an AWESOME WIN! Man I am tired...but well worth it.

Thanks Fidel.....let thte US-Germany chat begin...and may the better team win. I am sure it will be fun to watch. You guys have a great team!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 07:13 AM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Ahem.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 07:41 AM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

U.S. wins in soccer or somesuch
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
United States 2, Mexico 0
By RONALD BLUM
AP Sports Writer
June 17, 2002

JEONJU, South Korea (AP) -- The United States has arrived among the world soccer powers, pulling off upsets and defying expectations. Even President Bush has noticed.

Brian McBride and Landon Donovan scored on counterattacks to lead the Americans to a 2-0 victory over Mexico on Monday and into the quarterfinals of the World Cup.

``When I got to the locker room, I said, 'This is really weird,'' Donovan said. ``It's like it's not happening. It's like a dream.''

It is the best showing for the U.S. team since the first World Cup in 1930, when it beat Belgium and Paraguay in the first round, then lost to Argentina 6-1 in the semifinals.

Before the game, Bush called the team and told coach Bruce Arena he was confident the Americans would win.

``The country is really proud of the team,'' Bush said. ``A lot of people that don't know anything about soccer, like me, are all excited and pulling for you.''

The American players, unaccustomed to attention in their own country, were surprised when they found out the president was on the speaker phone.

``We were thinking -- which president?'' Donovan said. ``That was awesome. You could tell he genuinely cared.''

The United States next plays on Friday against Germany, a three-time World Cup champion that pushed the Americans around during a 2-0 victory in the first round at the 1998 World Cup, when the U.S. team finished last in the 32-nation field.

``They used to call us the sleeping giant in the old days. I think the sleeping giant has woken up,'' U.S. Soccer Federation president Bob Contiguglia said. ``Someone said to me this is the World Cup for the minnows. The minnows are becoming bigger fish.''

It was a shattering loss for Mexico, which dominated its North American neighbor on the soccer field until recent years. The United States was 0-21-3 against the Mexicans from 1937-80, but since 1991 the Americans have gone 9-6-5. This was the teams' first meeting in a World Cup.

``We played very good football, but in football, you win by scoring goals and we didn't score any,'' Mexican forward Jared Borgetti said. ``The United States has a very good team, very fast with a very dangerous counterattack.''

While the Mexicans held the ball for almost 70 percent of the game, they couldn't get it past goalkeeper Brad Friedel, who had another brilliant performance for his first World Cup shutout. He got some help on a non-call.

Portuguese referee Vitor Melo Pereira failed to see U.S. midfielder John O'Brien punching the ball out of danger on a corner kick in the 57th minute, one of four corners in a three-minute span.

``A great header, wasn't it?'' Friedel said with a smile. ``The referee made the decision. I took a double-take, maybe. When I saw it, I didn't believe it. This happens in a game. We've been on the wrong side of a lot of decisions, too.''

The Mexicans were incensed they weren't awarded a penalty kick.

``They showed the replay on the big screen and we saw it, 40,000 fans saw it,'' Mexico coach Javier Aguirre said.

O'Brien admitted his hand hit the ball, bringing back memories of the ``Hand of God'' goal by Argentina's Diego Maradona against England in the 1986 World Cup.

``It was a freak play,'' O'Brien said. ``It was a situation where you're trying to mark your man, and someone comes up underneath you and hits your arm. I didn't do it on purpose.''

McBride beat goalkeeper Oscar Perez from 12 yards out in the eighth minute after U.S. captain Claudio Reyna -- playing right midfield instead of in the center in Arena's revamped lineup -- made a fine run.

Reyna crossed to Josh Wolff, near the goal line, and Wolff flicked the ball back to an open McBride, who hit the left side of the net with a hard right-footed shot.

``I made it hoping he would be there, that he would be in that space,'' Wolff said.

McBride said: ``I knew if there was an opportunity for me to get the ball, it was on a layback like that.''

With the Mexicans pressing, Donovan scored in the 65th minute on a header from just inside the 6-yard box off a cross from Eddie Lewis, who had sped upfield. Donovan then whipped off his shirt to celebrate.

``It was all Eddie,'' Donovan said. ``It's hard to miss balls like that.''

The Americans, playing on just two days' rest, bounced back from Friday's 3-1 loss to Poland, their final first-round game. They advanced to the second round only because South Korea upset Portugal 1-0, allowing the United States to finish second in its group.

These Americans are far different from U.S. teams of the past, in talent and temperament. They proved it from the start of the World Cup when they shocked Portugal, the world's fifth-ranked team, 3-2 for the first of many upsets at the tournament.

Powerhouses Argentina, Portugal and defending champion France already have been eliminated, while upstarts such as the United States, Senegal and co-hosts South Korea and Japan are alive.

Still, the Americans are searching for respect.

``I don't think we had any coming into the World Cup. I don't think we had any coming out of the first round,'' forward Clint Mathis said. ``We may not get any for coming this far.''

While the Mexicans usually have the home-field advantage, even in the United States where Mexican-Americans dominate the stands, there were several thousand U.S. fans at Jeonju World Cup Stadium, a half-world from home. Many of them taunted Mexico with chants of ``Adios, amigos.''

U.S. players noticed. At the end of the game, they sprinted off the field to congratulate each other, raising their hands high, while their families -- sitting right behind the bench -- cheered them on. Then, as Donovan jumped on Friedel's shoulders, they walked to the end of the field and saluted the Americans in the stands, many clad in the Stars and Stripes.

The Mexicans walked straight off, not even staying for the traditional exchange of shirts with their opponents.

Already, the Americans were thinking about Germany.

``We understand that they are the overwhelming favorites,'' Arena said. ``Onpaper, it looks to be no match. However, we don't play this game on paper.''

Notes

McBride and Donovan became the first Americans to score twice in one World Cup since Bert Patenaude had four goals in 1930. ... Friedel made a pair of point-blank saves on Cuauhtemoc Blanco in the 35th minute. Ramon Morales had an open net to shoot at from the middle in the 15th minute, but hooked the shot just wide. ... Gregg Berhalter, Pablo Mastroeni, Lewis and Wolff joined the starting lineup, with Berhalter making his World Cup debut. Left back Frankie Hejduk was suspended for getting two yellow cards and central defender Jeff Agoos was hurt in Friday's 3-1 loss to Poland. ... Stewart came on as a second-half sub for his 10th World Cup appearance, a record for Americanplayers.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 08:07 AM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Dooby - you owe us one more.....ggggooooooooaaaaaallllll...it was 2-0.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:24 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

This win is huge. Even that statement doesn't grasp the magnitude of this victory. The Mexican team is very good....very good. This is a breakout win for the Americans and signals the arrival of a new kid on the world scene. Huge Huge win.....

As for the rough play in the last few minutes of the game Fidel....these two teams have grown together over the last 5-10 years. They know each other very well and they play very hard. I wasn't as upset as many by the hard fouls at the end of the game because both teams have done that over the years. It was expected and I am sure the players expected it as well. What a hard fought game. Both teams played extraordinary football today. I applaud the Mexican team and can't wait to see them play the US again. I go watch when they play in Dallas sometimes at the Cotton Bowl. The Mexican fans always outnumber the US fans and the atmosphere is incredible. Even the Dallas Burn games are dominated by Mexican fans and you see the Mexican soccer league jerseys and flags all over the stadium. What a great fan base the Mexican team has....it rivals jsut about any in the world I would think. But I am so happy that we won this game. Amazing...I am so pumped right now. I can't wait to see how we do against Germany. I sure hope we bring a good game.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:57 AM   #7
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

**Looks left**

**Looks right**

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 01:04 PM   #8
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

Clint Mathis is our Germany killer.. I honestly cannot wait for this game, Germany is awesome.
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 01:20 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I once dated a german girl. thinking back, she just might have been on steroids or growth hormones. i think the german team should have to take a drug test between now and the soccer match or somesuch
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 02:02 PM   #10
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Yeah I knew about that rivalry Doc. Like Germany - England or Germany - Netherlands. I wasn´t surprised the game was played that hard either. In the end the mexican players seemed to loose it. They should have gotten one more red card at least. Anyways it was fun to watch, and I´m really excited about the Germany - USA matchup.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 02:58 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

me too Fidel...what an exciting match up!
Old 06-17-2002, 06:56 PM   #12
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

exciting matchup- or somesuch
Old 06-17-2002, 09:15 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

I really hope the US-Germany match ends up a very close game.