Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-05-2003, 08:45 PM   #1
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Bucks to hire Milwaukee native Terry Porter

Coming home: Bucks to hire Milwaukee native Porter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Milwaukee native Terry Porter, after just one season on an NBA bench, will be named Wednesday as the new coach of the Milwaukee Bucks.

ESPN.com has learned that Porter beat out Phoenix Suns assistant coach Marc Iavaroni and Atlanta Hawks interim coach Terry Stotts in the race to replace George Karl. The Bucks completed final interviews over the weekend when owner Sen. Herb Kohl returned to Milwaukee in a break from his political duties.

Terry Porter gets his first head coaching job after one season as an assistant.
Porter served as an assistant to Rick Adelman in Sacramento last season after 17 seasons as a player. Despite his inexperience, Porter is considered a good coaching prospect whose odds were undoubtedly boosted by his ties to the area. The Bucks' status as a starting-over team, after a steady dismantling of the group that reached the Eastern Conference finals in 2002, gives Porter time to grow as a head coach.

The Bucks considered several candidates after the July 20 dismissal of Karl. Porter, Iavaroni, Stotts and Detroit assistant coach Mike Woodson were the four finalists. Kohl will undoubtedly be hoping for Porter, who went to the NBA Finals twice as Portland's floor leader, to have a strong influence on T.J. Ford, the Bucks' rookie point guard who was selected eighth overall in June draft.

Iavaroni, perhaps best known for starting as a rookie forward on Philadelphia's 1982-83 championship team, began his coaching career in Cleveland under Mike Fratello in 1997 before spending three seasons in Miami under Pat Riley. He's currently part of Frank Johnson's strong staff in Phoenix, alongside fellow assistants Mike D'Antoni (former head coach of the Denver Nuggets) and Tim Grgurich.

Stotts served as a Bucks assistant under Karl for four seasons -- and for five seasons before that in Seattle -- before joining Atlanta as an assistant to Lon Kruger last season. Stotts took over as Hawks coach after Kruger was fired Dec. 26 and went 24-31 for the rest of the season. The sale of the Hawks to Dallas businessman David McDavid is still not completed, but it's expected that Stotts will receive strong consideration from new ownership to stay in his current job.

Karl and the Bucks parted with one season left on Karl's contract at a league-high $7 million. He was the last to go in an exodus that saw each prominent member of the Bucks' conference finals squad leave town, with Karl preceded out the exit door by Glenn Robinson, Ray Allen, Sam Cassell and general manager Ernie Grunfeld.

Gary Payton, acquired for Allen in February, left in free agency last month to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers. Porter thus inherits an untested core of Tim Thomas, Desmond Mason and Michael Redd, with Toni Kukoc and Anthony Mason as holdover veterans, at least in the short term.

Old 08-05-2003, 08:46 PM   #2
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Dirk41= konsesjonen is on a distinguished road

He isn't very expierenced in coaching, but we'll see.
Dirk41= konsesjonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 08:48 PM   #3
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirk41= konsesjonen
He isn't very expierenced in coaching, but we'll see.
He is not even close to be called experienced in coaching. He has only one year experience as an assistant coach.

Old 08-05-2003, 09:56 PM   #4
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

He inherits a pretty moderately talented squad. I hope he gets a few seasons to turn them around, because I see them heading for the lottery for a little while.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 11:10 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Moncrief would have had a better shot if he wouldn't have announced that he was quitting coaching BEFORE the Milwaukee opening. It's hard to convince someone that you are interested in coaching when you JUST said that you wanted to spend more time with your family.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 04:54 AM   #6
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

I guess Rick Carlisle turned them down........
Because if they did'nt approach him at all about the job, that front office is beyond help.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:03 AM   #7
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

There were several other options that would have been better than Porter. Even out of the final four candidates, I think Marc Iavaroni would have been a better choice. I owuldn't be surprised to see porter ran out of town like Jim Cleamons. Only because expectations will be high after Karl screwed up that team so bad and his lack of coaching experience.

Good luck
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 10:25 AM   #8
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

On a personal level I hope Porter does well - he played college ball in a town where I spent a little time. I hate to say though, that I see it ending poorly. He's inheriting a team that's been disassembled, but the expectations are still high. He doesn't have much experience, and if he fails to do this job properly he'll struggle to ever find a head spot again as owners won't look at lack of experience as the reason he fails in Milwaukee - they'll just see he failed.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote