Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-09-2002, 12:45 PM   #1
JP5488

JP5488 is on a distinguished road

So, what is everyone's opinion on Nellie? When will he finally get fired?

Old 02-09-2002, 12:56 PM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

<<Dooby pokes this guy with a stick>>

"Is he dead?"

"Yes. At least mentally."

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 01:54 PM   #3
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Why would you want him fired JP? I think, even though I still question things he does Now and what he's done in the past, he's done a GREAT job.

Anyway, Welcome to the board. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 02:53 PM   #4
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

Your face sure looks familiar. Where have I seen you before?

Anyway, why would Mark fire, probably, the coach of the year?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 05:50 PM   #5
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

I don't see him getting fired anytime soon. I expect that when Donnie gets an offer to good to refuse from another organization that Nellie will then retire.

I like the game Donnie calls for this team. There are times he does a great job, but then there are times he tries to "tweak" too much. Let the talent play and find its own level.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 05:55 PM   #6
JP5488

Nellie should be fired as a GM first. Too many stupid moves.

Like Wang. What is up with this guy?

I don't get to see many games, but the ones I do, Wang seems like

a 7 foot statue that stands on the 3 point line waiting to throw it up.

He has no inside game and no defense.

Seems like we have enough of those.

Would like to hear other's thoughts on Wang??

thanks, JP
Old 02-09-2002, 06:12 PM   #7
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Wang was a second round draft pick. I believe if you look around, a hell of a lot of those never make it in the NBA at all. More than a few first rounders never pan out. So, I think it is worth it to take a flier on a guy in the second round. So Nellie took a flier on Wang. Big F'ing deal. The overall risk is quite low considering seconndrounders don't get 4 year guaranteed contracts.

Additionally, he would have gone higher in the draft if it was believed he would go to the US right away. Last I checked, it looked like Wang could play a little in this league. Therefore, I think it was not a bad move.

In fact, other than the 2001 draft, Nellie's 2nd round drafting record with the mavs is pretty good. Najera, Wang and Buckner can all play in this league.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 02-09-2002, 06:59 PM   #8
JP5488

ok, so Wang can play. I don't see it. And what purpose does he serve? Obviously the team needs inside presence and rebounding and he can't provide that.

Also, why does Nelson "trust" foreign players and play them in games as rookies and not American college players? (ie. Wang, Nowitzki, Anstey, Najera compared to Thomas, Harvey, Alexander) It would be much better to the future to have Harvey out there learning and gaining experience than Wang.

Just another example of Nelson's philosophy of depending on the outside shot alone. This system will win a lot of regular season games, but will not win many playoff series unfortunately.
Old 02-09-2002, 08:40 PM   #9
BiteMeVescey

BiteMeVescey is on a distinguished road

Why you ask? First off, if your criticizing the playing of Dirk your nuts, second Najera played college ball at OU. Yes Anstey was a bust, but you can see Wang starting to develop. He is doing more than just lurking around the 3 point line. Etan Thomas? He was hurt while he was here, and isn't doing much in Washington. Courtney Alexander? Too out of control, never met a shot he wouldn't take. Harvey, while I would like to see him played more, he is still very raw.

Sorry pal but your criticisms seem a bit odd.
Old 02-09-2002, 09:13 PM   #10
JP5488

I am certainly not criticizing Dirk's play. I am stating a fact that srtikes me as odd....Nelson's fascination with foreign players.

Nelson's style of run and gun, shoot the 3 basketball wins a lot of regular season games, but does not work in the playoffs.

This team should be developing an inside player, but they do not. They have enough tall players that play outside but have no inside game. Wang seems to be just another one. The Mavs should have a young player like Brenden Haywood.

Nelson just does not understand how to coach an inside, or even balanced game. Therefore, Nelson needs to be replaced.

peace, JP
Old 02-09-2002, 11:55 PM   #11
KEVIN_NY

KEVIN_NY is on a distinguished road

I have a question. In Dallas area, are all the Mavs' games (both home and road) showed by any local tv channels(cable or non cable)?
Here in NYC area, almost all of the Knicks and Nets games are showed on two cable channels.
Thanks for your information.

KEVIN_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 11:58 PM   #12
Shaq of Smack

Shaq of Smack is on a distinguished road

Yes, all Mavs games are split between a local station and Fox Sports Southwest along with a few national appearances.
Shaq of Smack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 12:58 AM   #13
NYMavFan

NYMavFan is on a distinguished road

Troll
NYMavFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 09:44 AM   #14
Dooby
Diamond Member

<< I have a question. In Dallas area, are all the Mavs' games (both home and road) showed by any local tv channels(cable or non cable)? >>

Generally, the home games are on foxsports southwest; Away games are generally on local channel 21, although a few are on teh local CBS affiliate. But yes, all games are on TV, although some are on cable only.

<< I am certainly not criticizing Dirk's play. I am stating a fact that srtikes me as odd....Nelson's fascination with foreign players. >>

<< This team should be developing an inside player, but they do not. They have enough tall players that play outside but have no inside game. Wang seems to be just another one. The Mavs should have a young player like Brenden Haywood. >>

<< Nelson just does not understand how to coach an inside, or even balanced game. Therefore, Nelson needs to be replaced. >>

This has been discussed ad nausiem. There was once a time that I believed their was value in drafting foreign players. The theory being that there was a bias toward taking USA college players. Those days are now long gone.

As for Heywood, I would have taken him and think not taking him was a mistake. Still, he was passed up by every team in the league at least once. So you can't fault Nelson for not doing it.

Inside player. yada yada yada. Show me a player out there and I will want him. But they aren't available. This is the standard gripe. We need to find someone who can compete with Shaq. That guy does not exist. Phily went and got Motumbo for that purpose and it hurt them long term. So what would you have Dallas do?

Old 02-11-2002, 11:01 AM   #15
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

I think the reason Nellie goes with foreign players is because they often have a better understanding of fundamentals and strategies. They are better shooters. Too many US collegiates are more concerned with looking good an putting down a monster dunk.

Intl players have more pro experience. Kirlenko, for example for Utah was pro for 5 years before coming to the NBA and he is like 20 years old. Dirk is another example.

As for Wang, this guy can shoot, and he has a lot of offensive moves, though they need polished. He has good low post moves and improves every game. He's an excellent free throw shooter. He's also 7-2. He's developing faster than Harvey. A good pick in the second round.

Oh, by the way, you aren't going to beat the lakers by playing the same game as them. You have to play it with shooting and matchups. If Shaq has to come out and guard Dirk, or Wang, that opens up things for others.

Not many teams can guard a 7-footer who can hit anywhere on the floor. Fewer can guard 2 of them.

Intl players are often more interested in playing than they are in being the highest paid player in the league. Do you see Wang signing with another team anytime soon? Dirk?

JT
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 11:13 AM   #16
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I think alot of it has to do with the style Nellie likes to play. The European players are more versatile and perimeter oriented which is the type of play Nellie likes. I'm not saying there aren't players in the states who are on that level, because there are but he likes that type of style with the run and gun.

For instance, that's why he couldn't work in New York because the players didn't fit his style and the players he had in New York were more talented than the players he had here, but he had the control here to bring in who he wanted and he did. NOW, he's built something special here.

That's why I disagree with this constant complaining about his coaching. I mean granted he makes his mistakes and probably out coaches himself sometimes but the way this team is playing right now, it's pretty hard to dispute what the man is doing.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:13 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i have no problem with the mavs drafting..or anything else.
the only problem i have is when nellie sometimes focuses too much on creating mismatches instead of taking advantage of the ones that are already there.
sometimes, he outsmarts himself.
there's no reason why the mavs should go 3 1/2 quarters without posting up dirk in any game...
but, sometimes nellie outsmarts himself and does it
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote