Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-02-2005, 09:31 AM   #1
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future
Default Perriloux picks LSU over TEXAS

AA STATESMAN

Good job Mack - your recruiting class just tanked.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Perriloux picks LSU over TEXAS

Sure... Poor Aggy. Who would want a player of such low character anyway? Good riddance perriwho. Have fun with your two-bit coach Miles.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Perriloux picks LSU over TEXAS

RP has been an LSU lean for a LONG time...you should've seen it coming. you lost Rouse to FSU (who UT was never really in contention for). not so good, Al. he's not of poor character, he's a 17 year old kid...jesus.

Antone is commiting later today, but I don't have my hopes up...
Old 02-02-2005, 12:57 PM   #4
endtroducing
Golden Member

RP has been an LSU lean for a LONG time...you should've seen it coming. you lost Rouse to FSU (who UT was never really in contention for). not so good, Al. he's not of poor character, he's a 17 year old kid...jesus.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing

he shouldn't have reiterated as recently as last week that, "i'm a horn and plan to honor that commitment." he had a man's decision to make and he acted like a 12 year old instead. trustworthiness is a big quality i look for in people and RP doesn't have it - so i don't feel it's wrong to question his character. that being said, UT had quite a solid recruiting season - it's just a small class due to scholarship restraints. one player does not make a team and RP was trying to act like it did. texas will be fine without him - they're deep at most positions and they're young across the board.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:00 PM   #6
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Well hell...Fred Rouse was a bama lean up until 3am this morning...now he's a FSU signee. These aren't grown men, they're just teenagers, and as such...they can change their minds with little effort.

For Arkansas, a LITTLE disappointed, but overall I'm pretty happy. After a 5-6 season Nutt still managed to sign a very respectable, top 25 (likely around 21) class. Had things fallen into place just a LITTLE bit differently we could have potentially gotten up in the top 20 (Duke Robinson and Antonio Forbes duped us). Given that Arkansas kids are widely undervalued, some of the 2 and 3 star kids we signed are likely a little better than they are given credit for. Regardless, a lot of people up on the Hill on very happy with this class.

How's AU doing, endtroducing?
Old 02-02-2005, 02:21 PM   #7
endtroducing
Golden Member

we're done unless Smith commits to us. ranked 10th by rivals with 20 commits...we got the #1 LB, the #2 center and the 4 best players in Alabama. we loaded up on defense...next year will be the year we go all out.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:28 PM   #8
AnMan21

Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark
Well hell...Fred Rouse was a bama lean up until 3am this morning...now he's a FSU signee. These aren't grown men, they're just teenagers, and as such...they can change their minds with little effort.
yes, he did it too to a lesser degree (i'm not sure he ever officially committed). It's not the changing of their minds that really bothers me (though i believe they do it because they like the media attention it creates), it's the fact that RP changed his mind a long time ago and as late as last week still told UT he's 100% committed. that's low and you know it. had RP been "committed" to auburn or arkansas you'd be singing the same tune UT fans are today. it's ridiculous that these kids act like their sh*t don't stink. fact is, they haven't proven a damn thing at a decent level of play. i long for the days in the not too distant past before rivals.com boosted their egos. back when kids picked a school, stuck with it, and were honored to be given a chance to play there.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:12 PM   #9
endtroducing
Golden Member

you ever been a recruited athlete? it goes to your head.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:53 PM   #10
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Some more than others:

"LSU is the perfect school for me," Perrilloux said. "It's close to home and with their quarterback situation, I can come in and play next year. JaMarcus Russell struggled last year and Matt Flynn is definitely not a better quarterback than me. It's just a perfect opportunity."

He's taking a gamble because if Russel plays like he did against Iowa, Perrilloux won't see the field for three years.

I don't blame him for his choice since he wasn't going to beat out Vince Young:

"He's a great player," Perrilloux said. "It's not that I'm scared of competition, I just want to get on the field as early as possible."

As for Texas, Lemming still has our class ranked 12th in the nation despite the fact that we had fewer available scholarships than most teams. We also have 16 returning starters and the ability to promise next year's top QB prospects the chance to get on the field quick.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:13 PM   #11
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I've seen that quote, dirno2000. That's not what he said. I watched his interview tonight on tv. All he said was that JaMarcus struggled a little and then Matt Flynn...He didn't say that he was better than them. He did make a point to say he had a better opportunity at LSU because UT had Vince Young. He couldn't play for the next 2 years if he went to UT.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:40 AM   #12
AnMan21

Quote:
yes, i have been recruited by many programs, albeit soccer and not football. not only college programs, but "minor" league european programs as well. but no, it never went to my head - i was humbled at the opportunity. unfortunately i blew out my ankles before i had to make a decision. no, cameras were not pointed at my face and nothing i ever said about the subject hit the media airwaves, but even if they were it would've been an opportunity to show i was grateful, and not an unproven, egotistical 18 year old. 99% of the other football recruits didn't have cameras in their face, they made a decision, and i have yet to hear one of them say anything except how excited and grateful they are for the opportunity. getting the chance to prove yourself at another level is what recruiting is all about - RP, MB, and FR act like they're a given in the pros, and there's just something wrong about that.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:32 AM   #13
endtroducing
Golden Member

almost all these guys had cameras in their face...especially here in Alabama. the media attention they get is insane...and it's even worse in Florida. I feel bad for these guys, because they're constantly being hounded and called and interviewed and evaluated...Antone Smith was the nation's top running back and he got so disgusted with recruiting that he finally turned his phone off.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:47 AM   #14
AnMan21

Quote:
almost all these guys had cameras in their face...especially here in Alabama. the media attention they get is insane...and it's even worse in Florida. I feel bad for these guys, because they're constantly being hounded and called and interviewed and evaluated...Antone Smith was the nation's top running back and he got so disgusted with recruiting that he finally turned his phone off.
yes, the TOP recruits had cameras in their faces all the time - most recruits did not. there are some like smith that chose to seek privacy, there are others, like RP, that chose to use the attention to act like pompous asses and boost their ever-growing egos. i'm more inclined to feel sorry for the guys that "don't want the attention, just want to play ball," over the guys that treat the process like a soap opera and play to the "audience." letting them hide behind the fact that their 18 is an easy out. if they're going to make a man's decision, then they should act like men. otherwise, stick to being a legend in your own mind. those guys are sure in for a rude awakening when they discover how hard they're going to have to work to elevate their game to the college level.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:38 PM   #15
endtroducing
Golden Member

Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown were both Tennessee commits, Stanley McClover was an Ohio State commit and Devin Aromashadu was an NC State commitment. they switched on signing day...but those guys are some of the nicest, most upstanding guys you'll ever meet (especially Ronnie and Devin). is there a problem with that, in your eyes? (not a flame btw)
Old 02-03-2005, 01:06 PM   #16
AnMan21

no worries, i know it's not a flame - it's all personal opinion. but yes, i think there is a problem with switching your commitment at the very last possible second. if brown and williams were both Tenn commits, then it's probably safe to assume the Tenn wasn't going after too many other RBs at the point. then to be left high and dry on signing day really stings the program and other recruits that would've liked to play for the school but had to look elsewhere when the position was supposedly full. these recruits know they're going to be visiting numerous schools with a lot to offer, there's no reason they should commit if they plan on still taking trips to other schools. charles (one of the top rbs this year) made a commitment to Texas early, didn't visit other schools (to my knowledge), and was the first one to sign his LOI. Perrilloux made a quick decision, claimed he was sticking by it, continued to visit other schools, and picked another one at the last second leaving Texas no time to recover. it's a matter of trustworthiness and accountability, not niceness.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:13 PM   #17
endtroducing
Golden Member

Gerald Riggs pitched a fit to Fulmer and told him Carnell would never be as good as his son and wouldn't be a factor in the SEC...Carnell felt betrayed and he left them...it's a lot of situations there. plus, Cedric Houston was already there. it depends on team to team...and UT's got Vince Young, who I think can win the Heisman...so they ain't hurtin. you know what I mean?
Old 02-03-2005, 01:35 PM   #18
AnMan21

yes, there are situations that would warrant a last second decommit - but most of the decommits don't fall into those situations. in this particular instance there's nothing justifiable about leaving UT high and dry. no, we're not hurting, and i think colt mccoy will do just fine as the successor to VY - i mean, he has the perfect texas name. my feelings are the same for any kid that pulls this stunt, no matter what the school. i guess i should come to the realization that the kind of kid who let's the recruiting process go to his head, is not the kind of kid i want on my team, no matter what his skill level.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:52 PM   #19
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind that Perrilloux didn't just change his commit at the last minute. That's pretty common in the recruiting game and every major program has been stung by it as well as benefited from it. What separates this kid is that he appears to have changed his mind around the time Les Miles took over at LSU. Instead of being upfront with Mack Brown and Greg Davis, he started recruiting for LSU while telling them that he was still going to Texas. Even Bobby Burton admitted that he couldn’t remember this happening. In fact, Perrilloux is on record claiming credit for a couple of LSU recruits, one of whom (RJ Jackson) Texas was in on.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:53 AM   #20
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road

Quit complaining like a little girl over high school kids changing their minds over what school they are going to play football at. Chris Simms changed his mind and did pretty well for himself at Texas. When he signed were you saying to yourself that Texas shouldn't take him because he changed his mind? I doubt it.

While it is nice to think your school does good at recruiting, there is no way to tell exactly how good someone is going to be or how good the class is until two or three years down the road. Micheal Hart at Michigan was only a 3 star player and not even the top running back they signed last year, but he had a hell of a season. Many of the top 100 recruits won't do much of anything significant during their careers, so don't get too bitter over it. UT is my favorite college football team too, so don't think I just saying it because I don't like your school. And besides, why would you want a player that doesn't really want to be at your school in the first place?

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:12 AM   #21
dirno2000
Diamond Member

^^^Have you been reading this thread of did you just read the 1st post and respond? Has anybody said that the program was shot to hell because Perrilloux signed with LSU?

I acknowledged that recruits change thier minds on a regular basis...you don't even have to go back to Sims, Ishe Odegwu switched his committ from Tech to Texas late in the game this year. That being said, what's wrong with pointing out that what Perrilloux did was unethical?

You're last point is correct though, based on his press conference and subsequent statements, he's better off somewhere else. I actually wouldn't be suprised to see him transfer if Russell beats him out for the starting job.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:45 AM   #22
AnMan21

yeah man, i'm not whinning that RP didn't pick texas. i said we're in fine shape and will continue to be so - UT is a fine program, so they'll always get theirs. my bone has been the fact that these kids act like they've proved something - when in fact they haven't. they want to be the center of the team from the start and that's absurd. they want a televised press conference to announce their intentions - wtf?!? they should be humbled to play for a program instead of acting like horses-asses. and they should wait to make their commitment (verbal or written) until they've evaluated all options. if they can't do that, if they're too attention starved to wait, if you're not mature enough at 18 to act like adults - then parents should be making the decisions.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:06 PM   #23
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

RP not signing with us was the best news all recruiting season. He seems like a cancer to me, and we did so well thanks to team chemistry last year. I hope the bum Miles is happy with Perridouche.