Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-28-2002, 04:25 PM   #1
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Just read a Fish Line that Dirk´s 5th in league in Technicals ...

Anyone to back up this statement?

I´m kinda surprised if it´s true.
Old 03-28-2002, 04:47 PM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

According to ESPN he's 8th overall. 5th in the West.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 04:54 PM   #3
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

That´s still pretty high ...

Maybe our two Germans rank pretty high in Tech per Minutes ratio [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2002, 06:11 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i rarely read what phish has to say...but i will say that dirk does need to tone it down a bit.
yes, it is frustrating that he really doesn't get much respect..gets banged pretty hard inside.. however, following cuban's example and bitching all the time isn't the way to go about getting things changed.

dirk, suck it up.. it's time for a gut check. you've been alerted on this problem that you have and it's time for you to become a man and show the refs that they screwed up by getting pissed off and going for 30.. take it out on the opponents.

don't get pissed and cost your team a point
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 06:52 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I like the fact that Dirk is showing a lot of emotion on the floor. If that translates to a couple of T's, then so what. He's staking his claim to earning the foul calls, which will benefit his career in the long term.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 07:05 PM   #6
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

<< Ilike the fact that Dirk is showing a lot of emotion on the floor. If that translates to a couple of T's, then so what. He's staking his claim to earning the foul calls, which will benefit his career in the long term. >>

Couldn't agree more. Yeah I'd hate to give up the point but if it gets Dirk going mentally into the game then I'm all for it. And most of the time, it does get him fired up.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 07:13 PM   #7
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< I like the fact that Dirk is showing a lot of emotion on the floor. If that translates to a couple of T's, then so what. He's staking his claim to earning the foul calls, which will benefit his career in the long term. >>

Depends on what the T is for. The one the other night against Milwaukee I can live with. He wasn't whining to the refs; he grabbed the ball. Worst interpretation, he then pounded it into the floor; my interpretation, it looked to me like he just lost control of it. Either way, it was simply a result of his being passionate about the game. And I'll take that over a disappearing act any day.

Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 08:11 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

simply bitching about a non call does nothing for dirk..it's going to alienate him from the refs
Old 03-28-2002, 08:33 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the fact that Dirk is showing a lot of emotion on the floor. If that translates to a couple of T's, then so what. He's staking his claim to earning the foul calls, which will benefit his career in the long term.

I agree as long as he doesn't do it in a close game or at a critical time. Otherwise...Just Do It.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 08:37 PM   #10
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< simply bitching about a non call does nothing for dirk..it's going to alienate him from the refs >>

Malone got a lot of T's early in his career and it helped him. If you whine about every call like Bradley - you have a problem. If you whine about a legimate non-call, then the refs will start watching for it. And Dirk usually whines about offensive non-calls, not defensive calls. There's a lot of difference. One way you are telling the ref to watch for something, the other way you are saying the ref is wrong.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 08:38 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

i don't know..maybe it will help in the long term..but it seems as though he has less respect now than earlier in the season.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:06 PM   #12
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

Actually Malone leads the league in Techs THIS year aswell ...

Wallace is simply another level - lol
Old 03-28-2002, 09:24 PM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Nowitzki tackles his temper
Emotional Mavs forward seeks to curtail on-court tantrums

03/28/2002

By JODIE VALADE / The Dallas Morning News

MINNEAPOLIS – Ordinarily, Dirk Nowitzki's mean streaks last as long as it takes for his lips to curl into a grin. Try to harass him with taunts or teases, and he shrugs it off with a playful smile. He is everybody's younger brother, as happy-go-lucky and kind-hearted as a puppy.

The most common complaint about his game, in fact – as much as his jumpers drop and his rebounds increase – has been that he's simply too nice to survive in the harsh, cruel NBA world.

But lately? The main complaint is that he's far too temperamental.

He earned his team-leading 13th technical foul Tuesday night against Milwaukee at a crucial moment in the Mavericks' 17-point comeback victory and admitted afterward that he has to learn to keep his emotions in check. The Bucks increased their lead to seven points with 7:23 remaining thanks to Nowitzki's technical-causing pounding of the basketball in frustration on an out-of-bounds call.

The fourth-year player is no longer too soft and too easily pushed around. He plays with injuries, such as the sore elbow he had Tuesday from a fall in practice the day before that required heavy padding because it was so sensitive to the touch. He battles through tough nights such as Tuesday's, when he hit only 1-of-7 from 3-point range, defensive assignments such as San Antonio's Tim Duncan last week, and a showdown Thursday against Minnesota's Kevin Garnett.

But he now is accumulating the $100 fouls faster than he would like. &quot;On the court I'm so different than I am when I'm a normal person,&quot; Nowitzki said. &quot;I'm a very emotional player. I've got to calm my emotions down.&quot;

Mavericks coach Don Nelson talked with his All-Star forward after Tuesday's technical foul, and called the judgment error a young player's mistake.

&quot;If somebody's going to make a dumb technical, let it be the coach,&quot; Nelson said. &quot;That gave them momentum back and took ours away.&quot;

But Nelson also admitted that he understands Nowitzki's frustration, even if he doesn't condone the reactions.

&quot;For an All-Star player, he doesn't get many calls,&quot; he said. &quot;I don't know why. I guess he just needs more years in the league.&quot;

His next frontier in development as a player, he said, is learning how to not let the physical play affect him.

&quot;I've got to adjust my game better to the way officiating is,&quot; Nowitzki said. &quot;That's where I'm not really good yet. I don't really adjust my game, yet. Some nights they're rough fouls, some nights they call technical fouls. Good players do adjust their style. I guess I'm not there yet.&quot;

He is learning, though, and vows to reduce the emotional outbursts. &quot;Every technical's bad,&quot; Nowitzki said. &quot;You lose money, you give them a free throw. So I've got to really calm myself down a little bit.&quot;

But he playfully added that he doesn't plan to curtail the technical fouls by simply switching to his native German when the urge to curse strikes. &quot;I'm not swearing,&quot; he said, his lips curling into a smile. &quot;I never swear.&quot;

Old 03-29-2002, 01:29 AM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Dirk gets absolutely no respect from the refs in this league.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote