Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 12-11-2006, 09:16 AM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Farewell Rummy...Godspeed

Thanks for the service Rummy...We've really needed you in these trying times. Your critics can't hold your jock.

http://www.indepundit.com/archive2/2...ng_rummy.html#
Quote:
Rummy's Farewell

MY BOSS ASKS, "Do you want to go to the Town Hall today?" He's referring to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's final Town Hall forum in the Pentagon auditorium.

"Yes, sir. I'll go."

We've got a meeting at 0930, and the forum starts at 1100. Our meeting is only supposed to run for an hour, but typically runs late. At about 1045, he looks at the clock, turns to me, and nods.

I excuse myself, and begin the long trek to the other side of the building. The Pentagon is huge, but it generally only takes five to ten minutes to get from one end to the other, if you know your way around. But I've only been here a couple of weeks, and the shortest path to the auditorium is blocked by construction. After a couple of wrong turns, I arrive at 1055.

The auditorium doors are already closed. There are no empty seats left inside. In the long hallway outside, four rows of seats have been set up in front of several television monitors. But all these seats are taken, too. With a few dozen others, I stand at the far end of the hall and watch the monitors, as General Pace introduces the Secretary.

Donald Rumsfeld is not universally loved in the Pentagon. I'm told that he can be a tough, stubborn, and demanding boss. Rumsfeld is infamous for firing off short memos -- known colloquially as "snowflakes" -- asking next-to-impossible-to-answer questions or demanding revolutionary changes. He came to the building in 2001, promising to transform the Department of Defense from a Cold War force to a more flexible, agile military, better prepared to face the challenges of the Twenty-first Century. Almost six years later, that transformation is well underway, but not yet complete. Along the way, Rumsfeld has stepped on many toes, and slaughtered many sacred cows. Inevitably, he made some enemies, especially among the senior officers and long-serving bureaucrats who were heavily invested in the "old way" of doing things.

But the troops, and a solid majority of the officers, love him. This is abundantly clear from the warm reception Rumsfeld receives as he walks up to the podium.

Since I couldn't get inside, I'm thinking about heading back to the office to watch the event on TV. But as soon as Rumsfeld starts speaking, I realize that I'm witnessing history. I'm there for the duration.

Rumsfeld reminisces for a bit about the 42 previous forums he's held, both here and around the world. Not all of the questions he had been asked at these events were softballs (I remember, but he doesn't mention, the controversial question about up-armored Humvees a soldier asked in Kuwait). He recalls a man who would ask the same question -- about when the Metro entrance would re-open -- every time. "Are you here today? Show yourself!"

Laughter erupts, but nobody comes forward.

"Well, wherever you are, I wish you a Merry Christmas."

A woman asks Rumsfeld if he plans to write a book.

"I've never written one; I've always said I'm too young to write a book." Laughter. "I guess I don't have that excuse anymore." He hints that he just might. I'd like to read that book.

Another woman asks what was his worst day, and his best day. I expect him to say "September 11, 2001." But he surprises me.

"Abu Ghraib." He says, and a pall crosses over his face. Most men, having been faced with such a profound shame, wouldn't bring it up voluntarily. But Rumsfeld isn't most men. He seems genuinely, personally ashamed of what happened in that awful place. It has been reported that he submitted his resignation over the affair, but that the President prevailed upon him to remain.

"My best day?" He pauses. "How about a week from Monday?" A week from Monday, Robert Gates will be sworn in as the new SECDEF, and Rumsfeld will leave the building. He will be missed.

A man asks if Rumsfeld has any words of advice for his successor. Pace mutters something that the microphones don't catch. Rumsfeld smiles. "General Pace says he should listen to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs." Laughter. "But any advice I have for the new Secretary, I'll give to him in private."

After the questions are done, there is a standing ovation. People in the auditorium crowd up to the aisle, in order to shake Rumsfeld's hand as he passes.

I'm watching all this from the outside, on the monitor. And then the doors open, and he's in the hallway. A bit smaller than I expected -- I'm guessing about 5'8" -- and he looks really short next to General Pace, who is a giant of a man. But at 74, he's a remarkably solid man, and he walks with strength and confidence. He proceeds slowly down the line of chairs, stopping to shake hands with several people.

He's standing right in front of me. I offer my hand, and he shakes it. He looks me straight in the eye. "My goodness," he exclaims. "Did all of you people stand out here for all this time?"

"Yes, sir."

"Well!"

"Thank you, sir."

He moves on, and we file in behind him.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your service to our fine country. Best regards Rummy.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:33 AM   #3
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts

Thanks for the great Iraq war plan Rummy!
George Gervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Gervin
Thanks for the great Iraq war plan Rummy!
-

Last edited by kg_veteran; 12-11-2006 at 02:56 PM.
capitalcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
-
So harsh..yet predictable.

Last edited by kg_veteran; 12-11-2006 at 02:56 PM.
George Gervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

yes, by all means thank you rumsfeld for your service to your president during this just ended tour of duty.

at the same time, it was beyond the time for you to ride off into the sunset. it is fair to say your term as secretary will not go down as one to emulate, nor will history judge it to be a successful stint.

hopefully your departure will hasten a change for the positive in the iraq conflict.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:20 PM   #7
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog
yes, by all means thank you rumsfeld for your service to your president during this just ended tour of duty.

at the same time, it was beyond the time for you to ride off into the sunset. it is fair to say your term as secretary will not go down as one to emulate, nor will history judge it to be a successful stint.

hopefully your departure will hasten a change for the positive in the iraq conflict.
History is a long time. we'll see.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote