Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-22-2006, 06:36 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Cassell might be a fit with Mavs next season

MAVERICKS NOTES

Cassell might be a fit with Mavs next season

By DWAIN PRICE
Star-Telegram Staff WRITER

DALLAS - If the Mavericks fail to re-sign Jason Terry, who can become an unrestricted free agent July 1, they could logically replace him with Sam Cassell.

The starting point guard for the Los Angeles Clippers, Cassell also becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1. And it's no guarantee that he'll stay in LA or that Terry will remain with the Mavs.

"I'd like to stay in LA, but who knows," Cassell said Tuesday. "I'm playing basketball, and I feel good."

Known for his brash style, Cassell won NBA titles with the Houston Rockets in 1994 and '95, and was one of the guiding forces when the Minnesota Timberwolves came within two victories of advancing to the 2004 NBA Finals. That same season, Cassell made his only All-Star appearance and teammate Kevin Garnett was the league MVP.

The Timberwolves traded Cassell to the Clippers last summer, and his play helped Elton Brand reach his first All-Star Game this year.

"I understand what it takes to be successful in this game, and I know how to push a guy who's a bona fide player and push him over to that high level," Cassell said. "Kevin Garnett was the MVP; Elton Brand is a consensus All-Star now. I showed him the way, and, now, he'll be an All-Star the next five years in this league."

Cassell, who earns $6.18 million this year, says that Terry also has All-Star skills and that he should he paid accordingly.

"JT is going to try to demand a whole lot of money, which he should," said Cassell, who played 16 games with the Mavs in 1996-97. "I think he's earned it with everything he's doing.

"He's done some tremendous things for the Mavericks."

The Mavs could view Cassell as having better point guard skills than Terry, who is paid $7.5 million this season. The Mavs' belief that second-year point guard Devin Harris has absorbed enough to become the team's No. 1 playmaker is one of the reasons the Mavs might be so high on Cassell, who is averaging 17.9 points and 6.4 assists per game this season. Terry, 28, is averaging 16.3 points and 3.9 assists per game.

Cassell, though, said that, even at age 36, he's not ready to play second banana to anyone.

"As long as I'm healthy, I'm going to play two more years at a high level," Cassell said. "I'm not going to play any backup to anyone and be on the bench and just rot away.

"I know I've still got it, and I know how to win. And the most important thing is I'm a hell of a leader."

Dampier slipping

In the Mavs' rating system, center Erick Dampier was in the high 100s last season. This season, he's in the 50s.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2006, 06:59 AM   #2
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

If Mavs lost DA, Cassell would be a nice choice. But if lost Jet, Cassell wasn't enough for the team.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:29 AM   #3
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

I'd take cassell as my starting point,i'd take him over terry.
More points,more assists,better percantages,better perimeter defense.
But it might be pretty dumb changing an important position on a team that's currently leading the west.
I'd still do it though,if cassell signs for the MLE.
oh,and Devin is not nearly as stable as he should be to start on this team.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Cassell is old. Dallas won't let Terry get away.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:53 AM   #5
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Not a big point but this was Brand's 2nd all star game. I would like cassel if we lose jet but i doubt he would take a reduced role. BTW he is NOT better than jet defensively. That isnt a praise of Jet defensively its just how bad cassell is.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

If and only IF we lose Jet, I would get Sam, but I want Jet right now, so get him tied up for a few years.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts

Sam is a horrible defender.. I think he would be a great 6th man type player but as already mentioned would he accept that??
George Gervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:09 AM   #8
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

6th type of player?he's averaging 17/6.5 on good percantages... Thats more than what terry can give us...
Cassell would be a good pick for a year or two untill DH gets mature enough to old the first string PG,right now he is not even close.not at the calibre of this team anyway...
Old 02-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #9
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitzki_prophecy
6th type of player?he's averaging 17/6.5 on good percantages... Thats more than what terry can give us...
Cassell would be a good pick for a year or two untill DH gets mature enough to old the first string PG,right now he is not even close.not at the calibre of this team anyway...
Uh, Cassell is OLD. He can't play many games without losing his jumpshot. It happens. Ask Darrell Armstrong. Cassell's numbers will crater soon. His point is that limited minutes would help Sam. But he has a good point. Will Cassell accept a lesser role or will his ego get in the way? BTW, Jet has many more years left in his legs.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #10
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

So far,cassell has missed one game this season,averaging 35 minutes on the 1 he didn't.
You dont sign cassell for a 6 year contract,and you dont need Jet for another 6 years.
You need a PG for 1-2 years untill Devin can take over,you dont want him stepping on his toes.

Make that 18\6.5,my bad.

Last edited by nowitzki_prophecy; 02-22-2006 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:34 PM   #11
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

"In the Mavs' rating system, center Erick Dampier was in the high 100s last season. This season, he's in the 50s."

I wonder how much playing 20 minutes has to do with this?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:36 PM   #12
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

I like the argument that Cassell would provide us with a 1-2 year buffer for Devin and it can't be denied that the alien has game. The only thing I don't like about bringing him in is the idea of having a temporary ringer come in to catalyze a championship run. There's a big question of chemistry and whether or not his game will mesh well with what we've created over the past 2 seasons. Will he be another Doug Christie (less Mrs. Christie)? Look at the Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Payton Lakers, the Shaq/Payton/Williams/Walker Heat - my gut just screams "NO!" when it comes to bringing in an over-the-hill player (especially a PG) to play a large role in an already-clicking system. The Clips got very lucky trading Jaric for Cassell but I think Sam's only got another year under his belt before he runs outta gas. If he comes here I see him ending up in the same role as Payton on the Heat, a good vet to have around but...eh.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:38 PM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I WANT DEVIN NOW!...or next year!

(and not the same way that U2 "wants devin")

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #14
Jet Terry

Jet Terry will become famous soon enough

Cassell is a selfish player and forces up bad shots. Terry is better than in about everything. Actually last night the Clippers did better when Cassell was out of the game. His defense is horrible also. Harris is not ready to start despite his flashy game. The reality is he can't hit a jump shot and that is a need on this team.

Last edited by Jet Terry; 02-22-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Jet Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #15
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Terry
Terry is better than in about everything.
In about everything, except for scoring, passing, 3pt and FT-percentage, ballhandling (more assists-per-turnover) and rebounding.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:09 PM   #16
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
"In the Mavs' rating system, center Erick Dampier was in the high 100s last season. This season, he's in the 50s."

I wonder how much playing 20 minutes has to do with this?
That remark about Dampier slipping is false. Actually, high 100's is lower than the 50's. Avery made the remark about his rankings of NBA players. So, according to Avery, Dampier is one of the top 60 players this year as opposed to last year when he was ranked 150+.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:12 PM   #17
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne
In about everything, except for scoring, passing, 3pt and FT-percentage, ballhandling (more assists-per-turnover) and rebounding.
Dont forget experience,playoff experience to be percise.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:13 PM   #18
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitzki_prophecy
Dont forget experience,playoff experience to be percise.
Oh, and titles won...

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:19 PM   #19
mavs_own

mavs_own is on a distinguished road

I hope not. I don't want a 99 year old PG that looks like ET.
mavs_own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:30 PM   #20
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

There is no next season yet. it doesn't exist. we have to win the championship in order for time to continue being created!
Old 02-22-2006, 05:34 PM   #21
Jet Terry

Cassell is a good fit for retirement. The guy was good 2 years ago but aged rapidly since than.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:39 PM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Terry
Cassell is a good fit for retirement. The guy was good 2 years ago but aged rapidly since than.
Fair question: Would this be because you are a JET fan?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:26 PM   #23
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be pretty po'd if we let jason walk for cassell. I like cassell but he is NOT in our future and he will NOT sit on the bench.

I'm not sure jason will either long-term, but right now he's better than harris anyway so the need isn't there.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:46 PM   #24
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends how JT performs in the playoffs boys.. just like the rest of our team, it really does depend on how we do in the playoffs...

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:19 PM   #25
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Cassell is old news...If we let Jason walk, I'd rather hitch my horse to devin and bring in a second stringer.

Sam is a stopgap at best, not interested.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 02-22-2006, 08:22 PM   #26
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it is more reasonable to say it all depends on how much Jet wants to be here. If he wants to be here he won't ask for some crazy annual salary. If he doesn't want to be here he will ask for the moon. Cuban isn't going to pay him huge money and he knows it.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:30 PM   #27
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
I think it is more reasonable to say it all depends on how much Jet wants to be here. If he wants to be here he won't ask for some crazy annual salary. If he doesn't want to be here he will ask for the moon. Cuban isn't going to pay him huge money and he knows it.
I honestly don't like that reasoning. I don't begrudge anyone getting what the market determines is the price for their services. Now if they then start whining about it, etc., then to heck with 'em. This makes it sound like Jason shouldn't do what is in his best interests.

Mavs won't have the same compunction if they get an offer for him.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:45 PM   #28
Jet Terry

Why didn't Dallas try to make a deal with him by now? Why risk the chance of losing him for nothing? Cuban needs to wake up.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:01 PM   #29
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

I am sure they will sign Terry soon. I wouldn't worry about it
Old 02-22-2006, 09:36 PM   #30
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

cassell over terry any day of the week..

last night's game made it clear that Dirk cannot be relied upon to hit a game winner or a go ahead jumper..it was the same story in 2003 when the mavs lost to the kings in the playoffs.

Cassell has the killer instinct.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:38 PM   #31
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh.s

last night's game made it clear that Dirk cannot be relied upon to hit a game winner or a go ahead jumper..it was the same story in 2003 when the mavs lost to the kings in the playoffs.

He may have a killer instinct but the question remains: will he have the game to back it up over the next 2 seasons to make him a worthwhile investment?
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:47 PM   #32
dude1394
Guru

Quote:

Really...looking at his playoff stats...he's got the wilting instinct. Just like folks are accusing Keith Van Horn of having.

Unlike Jason Terry/Dirk who's playoff stats go UP in the playoffs. Get that weak crap outta here.

Last edited by dude1394; 02-22-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:58 PM   #33
Jet Terry

Quote:
Embarrassing to see Cassell get outplayed by his backup. When Cassell went out of the game the Clippers actually started playing defense. How strange.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:39 PM   #34
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Jet you are a Jet fan obviously and i love Jason terry and i would prefer keeping him but at best their is a small gap in cassells favor right now. At worst cassell is ALOT better. They both suck at D and cassel is better on O. BTW rakesh one game proves dirk cant hit a clutch shot??? I hope to god you are kidding. As far as "clutchness" Jet and cassell are about a wash.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:01 PM   #35
Jet Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Jet you are a Jet fan obviously and i love Jason terry and i would prefer keeping him but at best their is a small gap in cassells favor right now. At worst cassell is ALOT better. They both suck at D and cassel is better on O. BTW rakesh one game proves dirk cant hit a clutch shot??? I hope to god you are kidding. As far as "clutchness" Jet and cassell are about a wash.
Anyone with Bradley in their avatar loses respect automatically. lol As for this subject how is Cassell better offensively? He is really slow now. Yes 2 years ago Cassell was the better player but come on. He is playing in slow motion and most of his shots are from 2 point range while Terry hits 3's. I'll take 3 points over 2 anytime.

Last edited by Jet Terry; 02-22-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:06 PM   #36
Five-ofan
Guru

You might wanna check the stats on the 3pt thing. Oh wait you dont believe in stats. I agree that stats arent everything but come on man. Cassel is a better scorer and passer. That pretty much encompases offense especially since he is shooting better 2.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:08 PM   #37
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Cassell's old.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:09 PM   #38
Jet Terry

Where are your stats? Don't forget the 3 point stats since almost half of Terry's shots are from 3 point range. Cassell scores more points because he takes more shots. Terry is much more efficient. 41% from 3 is like 61% from 2 btw.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:23 PM   #39
Five-ofan
Guru

You continue to make me argue against players i like because you are an idiot but alas.... Sam cassel is shooting .427 from 3. That is what i was reffering to. He does take less of them than Terry BUT to say "he scores more because he shoots more isnt exactly true and Terry is much more efficient is complete bs. Sam is taking 1.2 more shots per game than jet and avging 2.3 more ppg. Sam is avg 1.22 pps and Jet is avg 1.21 pps. Seeing that that would be the only possible advantage jet has and sam is still better even by only a tiny margin you really just continue to be stuck on stupid.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:25 PM   #40
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

It is not a matter of who has better stats or who takes more shots in the paint, or whatever. It is about age. Casell is old as stated above. Who knows when he plans on retiring. Who knows if his body will hold up for another year or 2. If we lock up Terry for say 4 years, that would put Jet in his early early 30's by the time his contract was up. That is 4 years of the Terry Harris combo which seems to be working pretty good now. If we get casell, thats one year of a Casell Harris combo, but after that, who knows.