Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-09-2003, 02:12 AM   #1
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough
Default Yao doesn't have potential

Of course Yao is a big influence for international basketball, and he is 7'6, but his stats don't compare to well to someother player's rookie seasons, so i don't really see how much potential of being the next great big man he actually has.
YEAR TEAM G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
02-03 HOU 82 72 29.0 .498 .500 .811 2.40 5.80 8.20 1.7 .38 1.79 2.11 2.80 13.5

Elton Brand
YEAR TEAM G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG To PF PPG
99-00 CHI 81 80 37.0 .482 .000 .685 4.30 5.70 10.00 1.9 .81 1.63 2.81 3.20 20.1
Pau Gasol
01-02 MEM 82 79 36.7 .518 .200 .709 2.90 6.00 8.90 2.7 .50 2.06 2.73 2.40 17.6
Shaq
92-93 ORL 81 81 37.9 .562 .000 .592 4.20 9.60 13.90 1.9 .74 3.53 3.79 4.00 23.4
Duncan
97-98 SAS 82 82 39.1 .549 .000 .662 3.30 8.60 11.90 2.7 .67 2.51 3.40 3.10 21.1
Webber
93-94 GSW 76 76 32.1 .552 .000 .532 4.00 5.10 9.10 3.6 1.22 2.16 2.71 3.30 17.5

Bradley's rookie stats were somewhat close to Yao's, and i dont remeber him getting voted to the all-star team
YEAR TEAM G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
93-94 PHI 49 45 28.3 .409 .000 .607 2.00 4.20 6.20 2.0 .92 3.00 3.02 3.50 10.3

I've also heard that he has great hands, but i have heard the same about the real T-MAC(Todd), so i don't know how reliable that information is.

And i can't say much about his foot work when he gets his ankles broken by Starbury.

I dont know about his denfense when he averaged 1.79 blocks, and Bradely averaged 3.00 his rookie season. And Gasol, Shaq, Webber, and Duncan have more blocks, with Brand right behind him.

And i really don't like his fatigue problem anyway.

But i am open to comments, so what do yall think.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:27 AM   #2
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Yao doesn't have potential

dirk didn't have good rookie stats...so they aren't always telling.

i don't know about yao. i haven't watched him play much, but he has looked pretty good from what i have seen. give him another season, and i will tell you what i think.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:29 AM   #3
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

Gee, he had absolutley NO ZERO ZILCH NULL competition in China before entering the NBA stage...Elton, SheWebb, Shaq and TD played high level college hoops and Pau played professional ball for one of the best teams in Europe...you will see a much improved Yao next season, it takes time for him to adjust to the NBA game, especially playing the tough center role in the West...
digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 02:32 AM   #4
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
dirk didn't have good rookie stats...so they aren't always telling.

i don't know about yao. i haven't watched him play much, but he has looked pretty good from what i have seen. give him another season, and i will tell you what i think.
Yeah, but Dirk wasn't thought to be a great player his rookie season.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:35 AM   #5
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: digit
Gee, he had absolutley NO ZERO ZILCH NULL competition in China before entering the NBA stage...Elton, SheWebb, Shaq and TD played high level college hoops and Pau played professional ball for one of the best teams in Europe...you will see a much improved Yao next season, it takes time for him to adjust to the NBA game, especially playing the tough center role in the West...
Amare Stoudamire had to adjust to the NBA game, and he played against great PF's in the west, and he did better(in my opinion, though not much). So i get what your saying.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:09 AM   #6
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

You made some good points long blue, Stoudamire finish in the top 10 in rebounding, and was a big factor in sending his team to the playoffs even though most people say Houston had more talent than Pheonix.

Digit, Yao Ming had more competition in China than Stoudamire had in high school, so you can't really use that as an exuse.

I'll admit that Yao Ming did a lot better than what i thought he'd do, but he won't be one of the greats in the NBA. Down the road, we people get used to him, he may not be an all star until Shaq leaves.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 08:35 AM   #7
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

yao was an allstar last year.

he is limited by the retarded offense and iso plays that rudy T. had developed which encouraged the two most overrated spares in the history of the games --- steve francis and cuttino mobley to jack up shots without fear.

when they did pass the ball to yao, most of the time it was as a last ditch resort, and yao would have to create a shot with 3 or 4 seconds left.

yao has a bigger impact than most of those players you listed. brand has done nothing in terms of his teams win/loss. same with gasol. joe smith did pretty well his rookie year, and now is a huge spare.

you cant judge someone based upon a retarded offense and guards who cant get him the ball in the right spot. i anticipate yao will average close to 20/11/2 this season. he'll be dynamite.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 08:45 AM   #8
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

It's scary to think how good Yao can be after about five years of NBA experience.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 08:53 AM   #9
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

I think the rockets rather trade Francis than Yao any day of the week. Yao is all potential there. How many big man in the league out there that can do with he do. Rookie stat don't mean sh*t and you know we had that dirk rookie stat right in front of your face.

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 09:45 AM   #10
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't want to judge a player based on one rookie season, but check your stats again sock, Yao's stats aren't that off from Gasols and Brands rookie stats.

But you are right that it is bogus for Yao to be voted into the all star game. It's something we'll have to get used to. when you have all of CHina voting for you, it will be hard to lose the All-Star voting.
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 09:50 AM   #11
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Sock is just up in arms about Yao being an all-star...that's all. It's clouding his judgment a bit.

frankly, Yao's potential scares ME.

AE put it correctly, houston's offense was so off track that it wasn't even funny. took almost all of the year to get Stevie to give Yao enough touches.

Retarded was a very appropriate word...AE. You hit the nail on the head.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:58 AM   #12
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

when you have all of CHina voting for you, it will be hard to lose the All-Star voting.

What a shame it is was that Wang didn't live up to his potential in Dallas, stay on our team, and ultimately make the all-star ballot of the Mavs in the current era of Red Chinese all-star voting...

A fan-chosen, starting All-Star frontcourt of Kevin Garnett, Wang, and Yao would have been a thing of beauty...
Old 07-09-2003, 11:20 AM   #13
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

I would think you also have to look at the MPG differential:

Yao: 29.0
Brand: 37.0
Gasol: 36.7
Shaq: 37.9
Duncan: 39.1
Webber: 32.1

Yao's not even close in minutes (other than webber). Just something to consider if you're going by his stats alone.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:25 AM   #14
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

to put things in perspective.

yao averaged close to 40 pts and 20 rebounds a game his final year in china where everything went thru him. ike austin played in china last year and average 17 and 9.

the same ike austin everyone wants to sign with the mavs. the bottom line is, if utilized properly, yao can be a force. and i truely expect him to be this year with van gundy and ewing leading him.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 11:51 AM   #15
Rockets34Life

Rockets34Life is on a distinguished road

I don't understand why your saying he doesn't have potential. Look how Dirk is now w/ the flow of the Mavericks offense. It took him a year or two, but he finally became a NBA superstar. It's going to be the same with Yao. Now that we have JVG to help Yao and Patrick Ewing to help Yao w/ his post moves, he's going to be a great player in the years to come.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:46 PM   #16
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: irontoad
I would think you also have to look at the MPG differential:

Yao: 29.0
Brand: 37.0
Gasol: 36.7
Shaq: 37.9
Duncan: 39.1
Webber: 32.1

Yao's not even close in minutes (other than webber). Just something to consider if you're going by his stats alone.
Well that is something else, he can't perform with big minutes.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:45 PM   #17
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

He might have potential, but we may never know. Because as long as Steve Francis and Mobley are on the team, that's the best stats as he's going to get. I believe Van Gundy will try to put Yao as the center of their offense, but Francis and Mobley will try to steal the spotlight.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 07-09-2003, 03:59 PM   #18
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
He might have potential, but we may never know. Because as long as Steve Francis and Mobley are on the team, that's the best stats as he's going to get. I believe Van Gundy will try to put Yao as the center of their offense, but Francis and Mobley will try to steal the spotlight.

Exactly. Rockets have all the ball hogs players. Francis, Mobley, Taylor, etc. They are not going anywhere soon if they not departing Mobley or Francis and get a quality point guard who would play the passing lane first. They should get rid of Mobley and Taylor to get a true Point.
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 04:09 PM   #19
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

sadly, yao has better court vision than any guard on the entire team.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:25 PM   #20
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Impossible to measure potential. Potential has to bring improvement by definition.

Some players get stopped after good development. Some players start again to improve after being stopped. Some players, who seemed to have potential, never improved (not the Yao's case; maybe the Wang's case).

Yao improved a lot in few games in the first months. Later he seemed to stop his improvement.

Wang coudn't improve and hasn't improved.

Does Yao have potential? He migh still have, he seems to have.

Is he going to use it if he has it? Hard to know. A subjective and personal oppinion: he has a lot of potential; he isn't going to be an all-time NBA's top 30 or 40.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:53 PM   #21
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

My opinion is that Yao is going to be THE best player in the league by 2006. The man has too much size to go with too much ability, plus he is a tremendous passer.

Maybe he and LeBron are the Magic/ Bird of the 2000s? Magic was in the backcourt, Bird was in the frontcourt and they both were great scorers, great rebounders, but above all else winners and great great great passers.

Plus, they were very different socially and ethnically which no doubt added to the appeal of the rivalry.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 09:54 PM   #22
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

My opinion is that Yao is going to be THE best player in the league by 2006. The man has too much size to go with too much ability, plus he is a tremendous passer.

Maybe he and LeBron are the Magic/ Bird of the 2000s? Magic was in the backcourt, Bird was in the frontcourt and they both were great scorers, great rebounders, but above all else winners and great great great passers.

Plus, they were very different socially and ethnically which no doubt added to the appeal of the rivalry.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 11:16 PM   #23
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Steve Francise got better at the end of the year at passing to Yao, his ppg dropped seven points or something close to that.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:25 PM   #24
Nash13
Diamond Member

Long Blue, apart of that is b/c his shooting percentage went down.

~The Salesman
Old 07-10-2003, 08:57 AM   #25
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Do I sense the same disdain some got for Lebron James?

Yao Ming got fatigue problem? Prior to his NBA rookie season, Yao Ming has been playing non-stop for 2 straight years.

Sure Marbury broke his ankles after a fake... I'm so sure Shaq or Webber would catch up with Marbury and steal the ball right off his hands.

Please don't come to conclusion that Bradley and Yao share the same rookie stats by just looking at the RPG and PPG stats... how many games Bradley played in his rookie season? Last time I checked there weren't 2 ball hogs like Francis and Mobley in Bradley's Nets team.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 02:45 PM   #26
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I tend to agree with you. Bradley back in 93 was touted as the next wilt or kareem. But let Yao prove what he can do. Although Im not sure how much more bulk he could add already being 299.

Part of the reason that he didn't get enough touches is hes not ready for it. He needs to get conditioned for nba season especially since its at least twice as long as the chinese season. As far as broken ankles big guys are subjectd to that much more then guards.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote