Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 11-05-2003, 10:58 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Knee Pain From Arthritis? Try Leeches

Knee Pain From Arthritis? Try Leeches
Leech Saliva Relieves Osteoarthritis Pain; Could Lead to New Drug

By Jeanie Lerche Davis

Reviewed By Brunilda Nazario, MD
on Monday, November 03, 2003
WebMD Medical News

Nov. 3, 2003 -- A new study shows the ancient medical practice of using leeches may provide a new arthritis pain reliever.

The study appears in the latest Annals of Internal Medicine.

In recent times, several anti-inflammatory and anticlotting substances have been found in leech saliva, writes researcher Andreas Michalsen, MD, with the University of Duisburg-Essen in Essen, Germany.

A pilot study shows that a single treatment with three leeches to the knee rapidly relieved osteoarthritis pain. In fact, topical creams containing nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) also work to relieve arthritis pain, he says.

In this study, Michalsen and colleagues worked with 51 patients with knee osteoarthritis. Each was given a single treatment of four to six leeches applied to the knee -- or a 28-day topical cream containing the nonsteriodal anti-inflammatory drug diclofenac. Researchers monitored each patient's pain, function, and stiffness.

They found that, at day seven, arthritis pain was reduced considerably after leech therapy -- more so than with the topical cream. The leech therapy group also had better function and relief from stiffness.

After day seven, the improvements continued in the leech therapy group, until the study's end at day 28 --and although there was less improvement as time went on, patients who had received the leech therapy still reported better symptoms relief scores, writes Michalsen.

The research could lead to a new topical pain reliever -- minus the leeches, says Marc C. Hochberg, MD, MPH, with the University of Maryland School of Medicine. His commentary also appears in Annals of Medicine.

This discovery could ease not only patients' arthritis pain, but also help people with other causes of pain, he writes.

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2003, 11:20 AM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Knee Pain From Arthritis? Try Leeches

I wonder how long the things are applied? Call me a sucker, but I think I would take a pass.

I'll wait until they can figure out how to make the leeches spit into a bucket and turn that into some sort of ointment.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:31 PM   #3
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Knee Pain From Arthritis? Try Leeches

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
I wonder how long the things are applied? Call me a sucker, but I think I would take a pass.

I'll wait until they can figure out how to make the leeches spit into a bucket and turn that into some sort of ointment.
Thanks dad.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:38 PM   #4
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

*sigh*

U2- if you had severe knee pain like some folks I know, you would literally try anything. I have a friend in my neighborhood that used to play in NFL and he can barely walk at times. Knowing what he has done in the past for relief, I'm sure a few leaches wouldn't phase him a bit.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 01:27 PM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: bogey
U2- if you had severe knee pain like some folks I know, you would literally try anything. I have a friend in my neighborhood that used to play in NFL and he can barely walk at times. Knowing what he has done in the past for relief, I'm sure a few leaches wouldn't phase him a bit.
I get knee pain, but only in the winter... left over from a football injury. I certainly am at no point where I would let leeches suck on my knee. But my pain is not that great. I'll still wait for the spit. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

edit: to help out the mods. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2003, 01:29 PM   #6
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough

** Edited out by Dallas-Mavs.com Mod **
Old 11-05-2003, 01:29 PM   #7
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

I am ignoring the area above that post U2. Therefore I won't comment on it.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:30 PM   #8
bogey
Banned

edit
Old 11-05-2003, 01:32 PM   #9
dallas_esq
Golden Member

** Edited Out By Dallas-Mavs.com Mod **
Old 11-05-2003, 01:33 PM   #10
bogey
Banned

good grief.....
Old 11-05-2003, 01:34 PM   #11
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

all i want to know is, will we get shaq_attack's opinion on this new arthritis treatment?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2003, 01:38 PM   #12
bogey
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
all i want to know is, will we get shaq_attack's opinion on this new arthritis treatment?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Good call. And thanks for bringing this back to the topic.

If leaches help Shaq they must be legit. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2003, 01:54 PM   #13
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

** Let's keep the posts on Topic and insult free so this thread doesn't have to be locked **
Old 11-05-2003, 02:05 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

speaking of leeches....

i'll always think about Stand By Me when hearing the word 'leech'
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 05:53 PM   #15
dallas_esq
Golden Member

I had a leech on me once or twice while hiking in the wilderness. That's a big deal for a city boy.