Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-31-2001, 01:57 PM   #1
BMF

BMF is on a distinguished road

DALLAS - The NBA announced today that Dirk Nowitzki has been named to All-NBA third team. This marks the first time in his career he has been selected as an All-NBA performer. It is also the first time a Dallas Maverick has been honored as an All-NBA performer in the team's 21-year history.
Nowitzki appeared in all 82 regular season games for the Mavericks and led the team in with 21.8 points and 9.2 rebounds in 38.1 minutes per game. This season among NBA leaders he ranked 18th in scoring, 16th in rebounding, 15th in minutes played and total points, 8th in 3-point field goals made and double-doubles, and 9th in 3-point attempts.

Joining Nowitzki on the third team were Karl Malone of Utah, David Robinson of San Antonio, Gary Payton of Seattle and Ray Allen of Milwaukee.

Members of the All-NBA first team included Tim Duncan of San Antonio, Chris Webber of Sacramento, Shaquille O'Neal of the Lakers, Allen Iverson of the 76ers and Jason Kidd of Phoenix. Minnesota's Kevin Garnett, Toronto's Vince Carter, Philadelphia's Dikembe Mutombo, the Lakers' Kobe Bryant and Orlando's Tracy McGrady made up this season's All-NBA second team.

The Mavericks' Michael Finley narrowly missed being named to the third team.

BMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2001, 02:09 PM   #2
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

Thats great... to be placed in the same list with these other players is awesome!!! Except Malone... he can go straight to #&(!... I know he is a good player, but someone as cheap as he is should get NO recognition at all. Is there an award for MAP... Most Apalling Player?
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 03:14 PM   #3
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

That is sweet, that will DEFINATELY give Dallas some national exposure. Now maybe the can put some of their games on NBC on Saturdays.
Old 05-31-2001, 03:37 PM   #4
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

That's great news for Dirk and the Mavs.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 05:04 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

sweet, congrats dirk.
You know, it's really something to be all NBA third team when you're only 22.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 06:19 PM   #6
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

Hey Kid... I dont think they have a choice but to put the mavs on TV... they are the most exciting team in the league right now. Sure the Lakers are good, and they have Kobe and Shaq... But how could you NOT like the Mavs? Unless you are from a shitty hole in the wall city in Utah, that is. They are young, goodlooking (obviously if nash is dating Elizabeth Hurley, he's gotta be good looking), their owner is young, they can win games, they have the best fans in the world... I can go on and on. But I think people will actually want to see them next year. So I will assume that means more national television exposure.
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 06:23 PM   #7
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

If CWebb opts for another team, then someone's going to have to take Sacramento's place in the NBC lineup [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 06:51 PM   #8
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Uhh, would that be the Rockets [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] .

Old 05-31-2001, 07:38 PM   #9
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Congrats to Dirk.

To pick Iverson and Kidd over Kobe (or even Carter) is joke IMO.
Here are the stats.
Kidd: 16.9 pts on .411 shooting, 6.4 rb, 9.8 assists, 3.7 to.
Iverson: 31.1 pts on .420 shooting, 3.8 rb, 4.6 assists, 3.3 to.
Bryant: 28.5 pts on .464 shooting, 5.9 rb, 5.0 assists, 3.2 to.
Carter: 27.6 pts on .460 shooting, 5.5 rb, 3.9 assists, 2.2 to.

Kobe´s stats are obviously better than those of Kidd and Iverson (I guess they had to back up MVP voting here). And Kobe was playing on a pretty good team. That´s not true for Carter, so maybe it´s ok he´s second team.
I like Kidd but I don´t think he had that great of a season (nor had the Suns) that makes you first team NBA. So IMO it´s just a joke to pick both, Iverson and Kidd over Kobe Bryant.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 08:11 PM   #10
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

Way to go Dirk. The first team is exactally how I would have voted except for leaving KOBE out. Id take him over Iverson in a heart-beat. But its also hard to put the MVP on the 2nd team...
Old 05-31-2001, 11:11 PM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk certainly deserved the honor. I just wish Finley was selected over Payton.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 02:16 AM   #12
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

WAY TO GO DIRK
Old 06-01-2001, 10:36 AM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

who does the voting on the All-NBA team?
Old 06-01-2001, 10:41 AM   #14
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

124 member panel of writers and broadcasters.

Old 06-01-2001, 10:56 AM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

it is really an honor for dirk, considering all of the high quality forwards in the nba right now. it's just a sign of things to come.
Old 06-01-2001, 03:02 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

i think the writers that voted see the truth. dirk is or very shortly will be the top player on the mavs team.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

i smiled, so no one is allowed to get upset. isn't that how it works?
Old 06-04-2001, 04:33 PM   #17
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

NO THAT IS NOT HOW IT WORKS! I SHALL UNLEASH THE DOGS OF HELL ON YOU NOW!

Just fucking around. Thats bad ass. Too bad my boy Finley couldn't get any recognition, but, what are you going to do?
Old 06-04-2001, 11:06 PM   #18
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Reggie, Finley was pretty close to making the 3rd team. I think it went Stackhouse, Wallace and then Finley.

Wasn't Dirk last in the votes among the 15 mentioned? I think so but I'll have to recheck that information. This question was posted on another board and not many responded, I think the people here will. I may not have it word for word but it goes something like this: Does this mean Dirk is one of the top 15 players in the league or just one of the top 6 forwards in the league? Does this make Dirk the 15th best player in the league and Finley the 18th?
Old 06-05-2001, 08:11 AM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

to be one of the 6 best forwards in the nba right now carries alot of weight, even more than being a top 6 guard, in my opinion.

the way i look at it though is dirk was third team all nba, not a top 15 player, or not a top 6 forward.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:26 AM   #20
TheKid
Diamond Member

Mavs Finley, the way I see it is if you compare him to other small forwards or powerforwards, there's only a couple I would choose before him(Dirk that is). Probably Duncan, Garnett, Malone, Wallace, Webber and maybe Shareef. The only reason I would choose half of those guys is because of experience. So I would definately say Dirk is one of the top six forwards.
Old 06-05-2001, 10:34 AM   #21
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

not to be nitpicky, thekid, but i agree with your list, except for malone and shareef.

first, i wouldn't give up dirk for anyone. that's just me. but especially not these two. malone is too old, and most of his points nowadays come aa the result of him being a veteran (do you think he would be able to get away with all the offensive foul crap he does if he were a rookie?)

shareef is good, but dirk is waaaaaaaaaaay better.
Old 06-05-2001, 12:08 PM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

i'd probably agree with duncan, garnett and webber, but that's probably all that i'd agree with from kid's list.
remember, dirk is also only 22
Old 06-05-2001, 12:24 PM   #23
TheKid
Diamond Member

To be honest, ONLY Duncan IMO would I say right now I would put before Dirk. The others I say solely based on the experience factor and they've done it for a longer period of time. However in all actuality (and this may sound biased because I'm a Mavs fan) Dirk is probably the second best forward in the game right now.

OK you all can start blasting me right now!
Old 06-05-2001, 12:28 PM   #24
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I love the guy but really don't think he's a Top 2, or even Top 5, forward at this point in his career. Next season he has a chance to possibly crack the Top 5 if he continues to elevate his game (as we're all expecting..knock on wood).
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 12:33 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

right now, i wouldn't take malone over dirk, malone has one foot in the grave. i wouldn't take shareef, he's simply not as good of a player as dirk plus dirk is younger. and i wouldn't take wallace, he's a cancer. yeah, i would probably rather have webber, duncan, or garnett, but that's it.

truthfully, dirk definitely has a chance to be a top 3 or 4 forward in the nba. definitely. no, he might not be there yet, but he could be there soon. the guy has too good of a shot and too much potential. he has better ball handling skills than probably any of the ones mentioned. he's a better pure shooter than any of the ones mentioned. he's constantly getting better at taking it to the hole and he's developing a better low post game.
and look how much his defense has improved in three years. your selling him short if you don't see him as one of the very best players in the nba in 2-3 years.
Old 06-05-2001, 03:07 PM   #26
TheKid
Diamond Member

I don't know DJ. Like I said, I would take one of those other guys over him from experience. The only reason why that factors into the situation is from a defensive standpoint, they're able to get away with more thank Dirk can right now. Duncan is definately a better defender, and probably Garnett. So I would give them the edge there, but go to the offensive side, I would have to say Dirk is a tad bit more versatile. In Duncan's case it doesn't matter, Duncan is just a better player. He's the only one I can honestly say is better without question. Everyone else there's an argument. Malone actually is too, but I just hate the guy so I'm not giving him ANY Props!

Let's just hope it can continue, so I'll do as you said and knock on some wood! (my head [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img])
Old 06-05-2001, 03:33 PM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

i know malone has been a great player in his career, but his career is almost done, while dirk probably has 15 more years in him, so malone is definitely out of the question.
Old 06-12-2001, 12:27 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

is still proud of dirk, congrats...I knew that you could do it
Old 11-24-2001, 11:54 PM   #29
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this thread deserved to be bumped.
Old 11-25-2001, 01:45 PM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

mffl...the thing that's scary is that dirk is learning how to get to the free throw line..and is vastly improved on the low blocks..
can he be a top 5 player in the NBA?
well, i know that by the end of this year, there won't be 5 players that i'd take over him..not a chance
Old 11-25-2001, 04:17 PM   #31
MFFL
Guru

The only thing that I worry about for Dirk is the amount of physical abuse he takes every game. He is getting hammered nightly - almost as bad as Iverson.