Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-13-2003, 10:40 AM   #1
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road
Default Kurt Thomas considers to opt out of contract, Dallas may be first choice

Just out of curiosity, with the new moves the Mavs have made what do you think the Mavs season record will be this year?
Old 10-13-2003, 11:02 AM   #2
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: What will the Mavs record be?

As I said before, 57-25.

Of course it's hard to target a prediction of this kind, with so many factors involved, but 2 or 3 games up or down is reasonable.

Old 10-13-2003, 11:18 AM   #3
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about
Default What will the Mavs record be?

I went through the schedule and tallied up the wins and losses, and considering we beat LA in the opener, then hopefully we'll go 61-21. That would HAVE to put us in 1st.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 11:25 AM   #4
TVI

TVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: Tony tha Mavs fan
Just out of curiosity, with the new moves the Mavs have made what do you think the Mavs season record will be this year?
60-22 - A couple off-night losses to some teams they should beat (Warriors, Grizz, et.al.), and some nice wins over the other West elite, especially early on, while the Lakers (new) old guys are figuring out how to play together in the triangle and how to handle the Kobe distraction.

Old 10-13-2003, 01:07 PM   #5
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Call me crazy but I think we've got a good shot at bettering last year's record by a couple wins IF we stay healthy. We'll continue to murder weak teams and East teams, and I think we've got a better shot at winning the season series against the good teams that beat us last year.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:22 PM   #6
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

63-19 (Edit: Thank you for pointing out my error TVI; I didn't edit this after writing it, so I didn't catch that missed key stroke "1" in my prediction)

This deep and hungry Mavericks team is going to be a thing to behold as it grows into an offensive juggernaught that can assuredly lead the league in scoring again, but that has also so improved it's rebounding and defensive abilities that it will lead the league in margin of victory stats as well...

A title-staulking nightmare was born in this Summer's trade with Golden State, and if it wasn't for the masterful free-agency moves of the Lakers, I would find it hard not to declare the Mavs the prohibitive favorites to win the title this year...

We will be starting four all-star caliber players- led by a developing MVP candidate- and we are backed up by incredibly talented, young depth at all positions. In actuality, I don't believe there have been many teams as talented as this Mavericks squad in the history of the NBA, much less playing in the league today, and I greatly expect a shockingly good Mavs 03-04 record to fully reflect that fact...
Old 10-13-2003, 04:23 PM   #7
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

My same prediction as last year, 64-18!
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 04:32 PM   #8
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

I think everyone is a little too optimistic. I think the Mavs win around 54-55 games. With a stronger West, and with some of our players more than likely hitting the injury bug, including Finley, Nash and Dirk, I just can't imagine the pace to hit 60 wins. Also, if Nellie holds to his word, he will cut down on starter minutes to develop the bench. This alone may account for 3 or 4 losses.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:43 PM   #9
DrtyFlthyNasty

DrtyFlthyNasty is on a distinguished road

id say about 55 games, but what matters is the playoffs. try and get homecourt, then the real fun begins.
"I know what I can do,'' Van Exel said. "I'm not really worried about what other people say, that I'm just a scorer or a ballhog or whatever. I know when I need to score, and I definitely know how to make players better.'' - Nick Van Exel

"The ROC handle like Van Exel,
I shake phoneys man, You can't get next to.."

-Jayz
DrtyFlthyNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 04:49 PM   #10
TVI

TVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
63-9
Does Dallas get to play 10 games less than everyone else? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-13-2003, 04:54 PM   #11
TVI

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2...A title-staulking nightmare was born in this Summer's trade with Golden State, and if it wasn't for the masterful free-agency moves of the Lakers, I would find it hard not to declare the Mavs the prohibitive favorites to win the title this year...
BTW, I love reading your posts. Sheer poetry.

But I don't place the same value you do on the trade. It was a really good trade for Dallas, but not a great one. There are only so many shots to go around so don't expect them to score 120 points every night. I think the sleeper will be Fortson, who as I said earlier, will prove a tough rebounder if given the minutes.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:59 PM   #12
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Maringa
I think everyone is a little too optimistic. I think the Mavs win around 54-55 games. With a stronger West, and with some of our players more than likely hitting the injury bug, including Finley, Nash and Dirk, I just can't imagine the pace to hit 60 wins. Also, if Nellie holds to his word, he will cut down on starter minutes to develop the bench. This alone may account for 3 or 4 losses.

We were 6-10 against the Lakers, Spurs, Kings and Wolves last year. We didn't win 60 games last year by beating them. Weren't we undefeated against teams under .500?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 10-13-2003, 06:44 PM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

the interesting thing is that the Mavs could be a better team and win fewer games...why even try to perdict!!!! Just watch and enjoy!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 06:57 PM   #14
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
the interesting thing is that the Mavs could be a better team and win fewer games...why even try to perdict!!!! Just watch and enjoy!
Certainly a real possibility. The Mavs will have to be a much better team than last year just to match last year's record. The west got a lot tougher this year.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:06 PM   #15
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I think 60 wins is possible, but I'm not predicting it. So I'll go w/59-23. One of the 23 will be against one of the bottom 7 teams.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:09 PM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

55-27

The West didn't get better. Honestly. The Mavs got better players but they arent a better team for it. It is going to take a long time for the new kids to learn to get with it and Nelson is going to have one of the harder times coaching (outside of Phil Jackson) organizing his team and bringing out the best in them. In one year we added a lot of speed and athleticism but I see troubles in integrating Jamison, Daniels, and Welsch and working around Fortson. There are some fundamental stylistic differences that call for a change in team strategy.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 07:11 PM   #17
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

the west is better, but so are the mavs. Changes mean we'll win more of the games we should win, but the elite will still be tough. 60-22

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 07:13 PM   #18
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I predict that we will play 82 games. We will win some, and we will lose some. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2003, 07:14 PM   #19
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

I agree with Fuzz, the West has gotten alot better.

But the Mavs are
1.younger
2. more athletic
3.more filled in every starting position
4. DEEPER
5. And just better all around.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:20 PM   #20
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
I predict that we will play 82 games. We will win some, and we will lose some. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I like that prediction - nothing like going out on a limb. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Kidding aside, Nellie doesn't seem to think they'll win 60 games this year so I'm going to go out on my own limb and defer to his judgement. I say the Mavs win between 52 and 55 games. Look for alot of losses early on.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 07:42 PM   #21
Nash13
Diamond Member

The West has not gotten better. The only teams that got better are the teams we had a problem with beating last year.

What other teams besides the Lakers, San Antonio, and Minnesota have gotten better?

~The Salesman
Old 10-13-2003, 08:12 PM   #22
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Houston and the Suns will both get better with experience.

the Nuggets will be able to play some good games against the Mavs too.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:17 PM   #23
harsh euro barge

harsh euro barge will become famous soon enoughharsh euro barge will become famous soon enough

i'll say 60-22...this team doesn't lose to bad teams (our worst opponents we lost to last year were the sonics and bucks if i'm not mistaken)
harsh euro barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 08:25 PM   #24
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

61-21. I would like us to win a few more against the Kings, Lakers and Spurs.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 08:35 PM   #25
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Mavs win 55-60 games.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:38 PM   #26
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I'm thinking just shy of 60. Let's say 58-24

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 08:40 PM   #27
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

98-0. We are Gods from that came from other planets to rape, pillage, and plunder.

Oh my fault... I was channeling Kobe's thoughts again.

The Mavs will win around 57... just to be contary to KG's post.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 08:44 PM   #28
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I said I thought we could get more than 60 wins in a world in which injuries didn't alter the landscape. Here's a more detailed breakdown.

Elite West Teams (LA, Sac, SA, Minny)
-we went a combined 6-10 against these guys. I'm going to say 8-8 this year. That's two extra wins.

Other West playoff Contenders (Suns, Rockets, Blazers, Sonics)
-we went a combined 10-6 against these guys. We might lose one to the Rockets (swept last year), but I'm thinking we go 3-1 against two of the other three. That's 11-5. We're up to three extra wins.

West Fodder (Denver, GS, Clips, Memphis, Utah)
-combined 18-2 with both losses coming against Utah. I don't see Utah beating us this year. I'll give GS one win on the assumption that Nick will get hot, and I'll allow a pair of wins combined form the Clips, Griz, and Nugs. 17-3. We're two wins up so far.

East Elite (NJ and Det)
-combined 4-0. We demolished Det, and I don't think that's going to change. You might think Mourning would be worth a NJ win, but I think they'll hold him back in the regular season, and the Nets still don't have the shooters to contend with us. 4-0 again. Still two wins up.

Other East playoff contenders (Bos, Ind, NO, Orl, Phi)
-so first off, I know that's only seven playoff teams in the East, but I feel even that's being generous. lol. We were a combined 8-2 against these teams last year. That sounds fair to me. Still two up.

East Fodder (Atl, Chi, Cle, Mia, Mil, NY, Tor, Wash)
-combined 14-2 with both losses coming against the Bucks. That won't happen again. We mights drop one to either the Heat or Cavs just beacause they both have those unorthodox big and athletic lineups. Against the remaing 5 I'm betting we only lose one of the 10 games. That's 14-2 again, and keeps us two up over last season.

Prediction: we go 62-20 next year. Our competition for the first seed in the West comes from the Spurs and Lakers.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:49 PM   #29
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Great breakdown GrandmasterC...

I strongly agree with you that we will have darned good odds of breaking the 60 win mark this year, and that for all the supposed improvements of LA, Sac, SA, and MN, I still think that when these new deep and hungry Mavs gel together, our overall greater talent level will leave us standing taller than all of our rivals save possibly the Lakers...
Old 10-13-2003, 10:41 PM   #30
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Between 57-62 wins. I don't see 60 happening again, though. I'll be really impressed with the team's performance if they can pull off another 60.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 11:32 PM   #31
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

58-24
Old 10-13-2003, 11:59 PM   #32
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Not to be redundant, but 58 wins sounds about right to me.

No matter the actual number, as long as it is one more win than SAS I'll be happy. We need the midwest division title this year.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:10 AM   #33
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

54-28

I think we will struggle a bit in the beginning.... but once the team gels they make a good run.

I hate making predictions though, honestly. It is really impossible to say. But this board seems to like it, so I will play along so i don't get left behind. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2003, 12:50 AM   #34
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
I said I thought we could get more than 60 wins in a world in which injuries didn't alter the landscape. Here's a more detailed breakdown.

Elite West Teams (LA, Sac, SA, Minny)
-we went a combined 6-10 against these guys. I'm going to say 8-8 this year. That's two extra wins.

Other West playoff Contenders (Suns, Rockets, Blazers, Sonics)
-we went a combined 10-6 against these guys. We might lose one to the Rockets (swept last year), but I'm thinking we go 3-1 against two of the other three. That's 11-5. We're up to three extra wins.

West Fodder (Denver, GS, Clips, Memphis, Utah)
-combined 18-2 with both losses coming against Utah. I don't see Utah beating us this year. I'll give GS one win on the assumption that Nick will get hot, and I'll allow a pair of wins combined form the Clips, Griz, and Nugs. 17-3. We're two wins up so far.

East Elite (NJ and Det)
-combined 4-0. We demolished Det, and I don't think that's going to change. You might think Mourning would be worth a NJ win, but I think they'll hold him back in the regular season, and the Nets still don't have the shooters to contend with us. 4-0 again. Still two wins up.

Other East playoff contenders (Bos, Ind, NO, Orl, Phi)
-so first off, I know that's only seven playoff teams in the East, but I feel even that's being generous. lol. We were a combined 8-2 against these teams last year. That sounds fair to me. Still two up.

East Fodder (Atl, Chi, Cle, Mia, Mil, NY, Tor, Wash)
-combined 14-2 with both losses coming against the Bucks. That won't happen again. We mights drop one to either the Heat or Cavs just beacause they both have those unorthodox big and athletic lineups. Against the remaing 5 I'm betting we only lose one of the 10 games. That's 14-2 again, and keeps us two up over last season.

Prediction: we go 62-20 next year. Our competition for the first seed in the West comes from the Spurs and Lakers.
I think grndmstr broke it down pretty well so I'm going to jump on his coattails on the 62-20 prediction.

But I imagine if anyone read my prediction on the cowboys this season they know that I can be very wrong.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:09 AM   #35
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

68-14 hey... what can I say, i am an optomist. I think the league is really pretty much the same.. the Lakers got better but the Spurs got worse by losing Robinson. I think Minnesota is pretty much the same. Sac lost their dep[th. And the East still stinks. Our depth will prevent injuries and we should have had a lot more wins last season but felt a lot of pressure. This season i think the Mavs will finally start to feel their oats!
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 01:21 AM   #36
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

I can't really argue any extra losses into Grndmstr_c's breakdown if we remain reasonably healthy. I'll go with 62-20. Midwest Champs!
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 01:30 AM   #37
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Two myths I hate
1) NVE singlehandedly got the Mavs to the WCF
2) the West is better.

Lakers are going to be another Portland, Sacramento and San Antonio did not get any better.

Dallas is a good way away from gelling and they will lose a lot of games against teams they should win against and teams they should beat.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 01:57 AM   #38
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

I don't think the Mavs will have any problems gelling. They are getting an all-star caliber player that has started the season unbelievably and gets his points unlike any other Mav. Fortson most likely won't be getting many minutes. Neither will J-ho. and their roles aren't intregal either. The Mavs played tentative all season.. that better not be a problem this season after all the success they had.

One thing we have to remember and keep in mind is that we havn't even seen the real rotation on the floor yet. When we do I think it will be shocking... in a great way. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 08:48 AM   #39
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

57 wins. 3rd seed.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 05:56 PM   #40
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:What will the Mavs record be?

Mavericks still trying to mesh
Playing time remains an issue as team tries to reach its potential

03:24 AM CST on Tuesday, December 9, 2003

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks are on pace to win 53 games, which would be great if they hadn't won 60 and 57 in the last two seasons.

They are one-quarter of the way through a season of change, and they are still working on winning converts to the side that the off-season moves have created a better team.

For them, the good news is that it's December. The meat of the season is only beginning. Injuries – the latest, Dirk Nowitzki's right ankle sprain, from which he will return Wednesday – have hurt. So has the abundance of new players.

Because of those mitigating factors, the Mavericks can accept a 13-7 record, even though no team member feels they have scratched the surface in terms of fulfilling their potential.

"We definitely could have done a lot better," Eduardo Najera said Monday, after a lively practice. "I don't think we've played even one game where everybody has shown up and is on the same page. Either the bench doesn't show up, or the starters. Sometimes, it's a combination.

"But we were expecting a slow start, and it's OK if we finish up strong. We're going to be OK once Dirk gets back."

Nowitzki's return after a five-game absence, however, will bring with it more complications for coach Don Nelson. Playing time is and always will be an issue on every NBA team, but particularly on a team with five marquee scorers. For the last two weeks, Nowitzki has been out of that mix, and the remaining parts have received plenty of playing time.

So what happens now?

"Everybody moves back one spot," Nelson said.

It sounds easy, and Nelson is masterful at mixing and matching his players. The Mavericks never seem to have situations where a player's pout becomes a public issue.

Antawn Jamison and Danny Fortson are two of the players who have seen their playing time swing wildly. Jamison said he has put aside the uncomfortable feeling that came with being a sixth man after starting his entire career. It was a change even his mother was surprised about, he said.

"My mom asked, 'Coming off the bench?' " Jamison said. "It was different when it first started. It was so uncomfortable. I didn't know how to come off the bench."

But Jamison is not one for rocking boats, not even about playing time.

"I've come from a situation where I played a lot, got fed the ball whenever I pretty much wanted, but we didn't win," he said. "I'm going to do whatever it takes to win as many games and go as deep in the playoffs as possible. And the only way I have a chance to experience that right now is to come off the bench and give the team energy.

"I'm not going to be able to do that by complaining or making it difficult on myself or this organization. That's not what I need right now, and it's not what the organization needs. A lot of players would love to be in my situation. And the only thing I have to do is sacrifice a couple of minutes and not start. So it's all about winning."
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote