Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-01-2004, 11:31 AM   #1
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default Refreshing, after a distressing season

Nájera will help Latin chidren

SUN

Dallas - In 1995, after five attempts, Eduardo Nájera, today player of the Mavericks de Dallas, managed to pass his entrance examination to the University of Oklahoma. That day, Nájera was sorry not to have been able to have one better education before making the test and promised that, if sometime had money, it would do something to help the Mexicans that, like him, want to go out ahead in the United States.

Yesterday, with the contribution of 100 thousand dollars from Stanford Financial Group, the forward original of Meoqui, Chihuahua, took the first step: he inaugurated the Foundation Eduardo Nájera, who is destined to help Latin children in the United States. "It is something that always I wanted to do. It did not have idea of how to obtain it, but after reuniting with the people of the Stanford group, we found a way to help the small ones that they want to make it in the United States ": Nájera said.

Eduardo, who emigrated to the United States when 17 years old, affirmed that mails and letters that has received since he arrived at the NBA, motivated him more to fulfill that dream after being admitted in the University of Oklahoma. "Every day I received many letters of people who request aid to me. Some want money or aids of another form, but many of the requests that I received were of children who the only thing that they want is to go to the school. For that reason we decided to create this foundation, that it looks for to take to those boys to the school ", declared the player of 2,04 meters.

In principle, the foundation is going to work altogether with the union of Latin schools of the area of Dallas, but once the resources begin to flow, he thinks to send it at national level in the United States and, as of September, if the things go as they hope, the campaign will arrive at Mexico. "the idea is to help the greater possible amount of children. But we must go step by step. We cannot try to include as much so soon or are going to fail ", said. The player hopes that their supporters help to obtain the objective. "We want that they contribute more of beginning, but any person can help if therefore she wishes it. So far we have not opened an account, but it is the following step. Of that form, whatever she wants to help to give education to the children, she will be able to do it ", indicated.

Who already put their grain of salt were some mates of Nájera with the Mavericks: Dirk Nowitzki, Michael Finley, Steve Nash and Antwan Jamison donated autographed jerseys and tennis, which were auctioned past Monday at night, totalizing a collection of 12 thousand dollars. "They are with me and I thank for their support to them. They already promised to me to make use of us for which it is needed and we are going to take their word ", added Nájera. "Much people think that I have the goal to graduate thousand children or so, but that one is not the objective. I will feel satisfied if I can make the difference to change the life of even a single child", concluded.

(Translated with Google -very bad, certainly-, and corrected -so so- by Chiw@s)

Link (In Spanish)
Old 04-01-2004, 11:54 AM   #2
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Refreshing, after a distressing season

I posted yesterday (I think), that the core of the Mavs for the next season is going to be Nash, Finley, Jamison and Dirk. Coincidently they are the mentioned by Eddie, supporting him and the foundation.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:18 PM   #3
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default RE:Refreshing, after a distressing season

I wouldn't mind Eduardo sticking around. I hope he gets healthy though...But I do believe this team needs more role players like him who are willing to do a lot of the dirty work.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 03:54 PM   #4
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Refreshing, after a distressing season

Man, most of the Mavericks are just classy people, never cause any problems....cough...Antoine...cough....
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote