Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-16-2004, 04:03 PM   #1
ashjensen

ashjensen is on a distinguished road
Default worried about Daniels Shooting more than Dirk

yes daniel is "good" but he's nothing yet til clutch playoff time and a season of consistancy(he hasn't played all the time). I'm worried that he will take shots that dirk would normally have though.
i've seen this a bit in the last month or so. Daniel's even bricked about 4-5 in row. I don't want him to become like walker in that respect. I've also seen him miss some wide open passes to players who had easy shots(like dirk n steve). My advise to daniels is chill out on all the shooting and share the ball more. Dirk better get the ball or i'm gonna talk so much shit on this daniels kid all over the net it won't even be funny. don't piss me off daniels. don't be a walker, share the ball with dirk or you will blow it for the team!
ashjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2004, 04:14 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: worried about Daniels Shooting more than Dirk

Why do you bother posting here?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 04:46 PM   #3
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:worried about Daniels Shooting more than Dirk

Quote:
Originally posted by: ashjensen
My advise to daniels is chill out on all the shooting and share the ball more. Dirk better get the ball or i'm gonna talk so much shit on this daniels kid all over the net it won't even be funny. don't piss me off daniels. don't be a walker, share the ball with dirk or you will blow it for the team!
Dude are you serious with this??? Do you even wonder why you have been slammed in numerous threads after making the board read this nonsense???

Ugh! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2004, 05:47 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also worried about Daniels taking too many attempts. Yes, he has been on as of late, but I still want him to paly within himself. With the big 3 drawing so much of the offensive attention, Daniels should be left with easy open jumpers and a relatively easy path to the bucket on dives. Yes, I want to see Daniels drive, but I want to see him do a much better job of passing off of the drive than what I've seen in his very short career.

However, I don't think Daniels is going to monopolize the ball and blow it for the team or anything like that.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 08:29 PM   #5
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

I don't think you guys should rip on ashjensen yet. He had a point, in some ways. He was wrong in saying that he'll rip on Daniels for taking shots that should be Dirk's, but we should at least consider some of the other things he had to say. Now we all know Daniels is playing really great basketball right now, right? Well, he's just a rookie. Stats can't prove how the guy is going to perform in the playoffs. Not saying he's going to start playing like crap, but if he's cold from the field, is he going to know what to do? Is he going to try to shoot himself out of droughts like Walker used to? This should be of mild concern to all of you. No, I'm not nervous and as long as he keeps up his incredible play in the playoffs, he'll be fine. But I not sure if he has the knowledge to perform under those "what-if" situations. Again, I'm not doubting his talent at all, but I haven't been convinced just yet that this team should rely on him as much as they are now. He is a great player and all, but all players have streaks. Let's just hope his good streak continues at least until the end of the playoffs.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:16 PM   #6
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Uh, Daniels is shooting about 50% from the field right now. If he keeps that up, he can continue shooting the way he's been shooting for all I care. BTW, Antoine Walker has never approached a figure that high.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:18 PM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I;m not worried that Daniels is shooting too much- he's been shooting better than Dirk of late. I'm worried that there will be a moment that Daniels will find someone other than Dirk when it needs to be in Dirk's hands. I've seen him miss Dirk on a couple of plays. A few of those he didnt seem to be confident passing into the post and didnt seem to know how easy it was to get it in to a mobile, seven-footer. Other times he just didnt have the court vision to spot Dirk and there may have been a few times when he just didnt have the faith in Dirk. That concerns me more than anything. It's just a matter of percentages. If we have to take an outside shot then its Nash or Finley or Nowitzki but if Daniels can get a 4 foot floater then he will have a better chance of making it than any outside shooter. It's hard to admit but its true.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:27 PM   #8
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

I haven't seen Daniels take a bad shot yet. He has been a little short on some shots lately, but these days of rest should help him.
Now I have seen him be a little reluctlant to pass when going to the rim, but I think it's lack of confidence to pass, and not selfishness. BUT with the shots he takes, he can shoot all night.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:46 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Daniels sometimes forces things in the lane and on the break. It just shows how good he can be on this Mavs team if he just learns to be a bit more selective.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:27 AM   #10
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

I'd be a lot more worried about Walker shooting instead of passing, then I would Daniels. I think Daniels will give the ball up if his shot's not falling. If it is falling, then I want him to take those inside shots.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 01:15 AM   #11
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

you guys should watch out talking badly about ash. If you keep it up, he might just talk so much shit on you all over the net.

It won't even be funny.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 10:09 AM   #12
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

I was a little worried about that only after his 9-for-25 game, but I really think he knows he's not the go-to-guy when it really counts. If not somebody should tell him [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 11:31 AM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

ashjensens track record thus far doesn't merit credit. rip away.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 01:39 PM   #14
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm also worried about Daniels taking too many attempts. Yes, he has been on as of late, but I still want him to paly within himself. With the big 3 drawing so much of the offensive attention, Daniels should be left with easy open jumpers and a relatively easy path to the bucket on dives. Yes, I want to see Daniels drive, but I want to see him do a much better job of passing off of the drive than what I've seen in his very short career.
Murphy, you're so much smarter than this. You know as well as ANYONE if Daniels comes out shooting the ball alot during the playoffs his ass is getting yanked. THE ONLY way they would even allow him to continue to shoot a ton during the playoffs is if he's shooting WELL over 50%. I mean he'd have to go something like 12 for 15 or something like that because if he puts up 15 shots and only made seven of them or eight of them, they're sitting him. It's that simple. I could expect for someone else to think this is actually something to be concerned about but not you Murph.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:27 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

TheKid, that's my point. I want Daniels to play within himself so that he can remain on the court. If he's on the court and playing under control, it's a huge edge to the Mavs. If he's forcing shots and is on the bench, the Mavs lose a ton of athleticism and a very difficult guard on the offensive end.

I'm not exactly sure what your point is. I didn't say that he would indefinitely stay on the court regardless of what types of shots he was putting up. I said that I want him playing under control and passing out of difficult situations in the paint.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:20 AM   #16
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

It seemed to me you and the guy who posted this thread were truly concerned about Daniels shooting more than Dirk causing problems and I was saying there is NO WAY in the world that would happen.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:56 AM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3

However, I don't think Daniels is going to monopolize the ball and blow it for the team or anything like that.
Don't forget the last line TheKid.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:39 AM   #18
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

The Mavs as a team have to be more selective with their shots. There are mismatches to be had against the Kings, they just need to keep moving the ball around to create shots with the pass rather than the dribble.

Dirk should be the first option and get the majority of the touches, but if the Kings decide to focus their defense on Dirk (by double-teaming him) then I'm glad that there are guys like Daniels who have the offensively capability to step-up. Now, all they need to do is step up.

So, number of shots taken is not as big an issue as shot choice and total touches.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 01:39 PM   #19
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
The Mavs as a team have to be more selective with their shots. There are mismatches to be had against the Kings, they just need to keep moving the ball around to create shots with the pass rather than the dribble.
Dirk should be the first option and get the majority of the touches, but if the Kings decide to focus their defense on Dirk (by double-teaming him) then I'm glad that there are guys like Daniels who have the offensively capability to step-up. Now, all they need to do is step up.
So, number of shots taken is not as big an issue as shot choice and total touches.
but they should not expect Daniels to save the day.....In my view, he should not take more than 10 shots a game...but that assumes that Nash and Finley will show up to play...how sad for the fans that they seem to be desparately clinging to a Rookie when they have two former all stars who should fill the void!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 02:22 PM   #20
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

I hope I'm wrong, but Daniels possible came crashing down to earth last night. Yes he is a talented player, but 6/15 from the floor? The most irritating thing is the # of shots he took, probably while well aware that he was cold. A lot of those shots could have been Dirk's. But then again, Fin went 4-13, Walker went 3-11, and Nash went 5-14. These shots could have been given to Dirk, also. Hopefully, it was just a bad shooting day, and not the playoffs spirit causing the players to be selfish. And hopefully, Daniels will pick up his play for tomorrow's game.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 02:45 PM   #21
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I think the intensity level in the 4th Quarter surprised Daniels. I'm hoping he will adjust.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 05:28 PM   #22
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
I think the intensity level in the 4th Quarter surprised Daniels. I'm hoping he will adjust.
I agree. Let's not forget this is his first foray into the NBA playoffs. I have confidence in the the kid. He'll be fine.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:30 PM   #23
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
but they should not expect Daniels to save the day.....In my view, he should not take more than 10 shots a game...but that assumes that Nash and Finley will show up to play...how sad for the fans that they seem to be desparately clinging to a Rookie when they have two former all stars who should fill the void!
You're right. Daniels should not be this team's savior, and I don't think anyone views him as such. They do have a tremendous amount of confidence in him and hopefully that will pay dividends later in this series.

It was his first game ever in the playoffs, let's cut the kid a break.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:25 PM   #24
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

*bumped*

just for you ashjensen.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 09:37 PM   #25
ashjensen

thanks, my main complaint is that he's shooting too much and not looking for the pass as much as he should be. granted he made some nice clutch free throws but i want him to shoot less and try to make better passes instead of simple shooting or passing mistakes. it really kills us in the playoff and we can't afford another loss.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:46 PM   #26
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

n

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 02-15-2007 at 12:46 AM.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 09:55 PM   #27
ashjensen

>Give it time. It is a shame that he has to learn during the playoffs. But, that is Nelson's fault not Daniels. I like watching him.

yes so do i but this is precisely why he should be doing less sooting and intead working on better passing to dirk n such. it's not nellies fault if daniels f's up but yes nellie is at fault for leaving him in when he should really be resting. the mavs need the shooting to go down not pg's or sg's shooting bricks or making bad passes and tunovers. this is the playoffs. why do i even need to say this?
Old 04-21-2004, 10:00 PM   #28
ashjensen

>Hopefully, it was just a bad shooting day, and not the playoffs spirit causing the players to be selfish. And hopefully, Daniels will pick up his play for tomorrow's game.

great point, i think it's a little of both but i do see some selfishness out there in the players. even finley is shooting more than he should. look it comes down to this, if you're hot then you shoot, if you're going to shoot bricks then you don't shoot most of the time. i'd rather have dirk get more looks. percentage wise he hasn't let us down in the playoffs yet. he's too good to just pass up for stupid plays made by nellie or other players just taking shots away for selfish reasons. i'll say this again, i've said it before. dirk is better than tim duncan, garnet, shaq, kobe, etc etc. he's on the highest scoring team in the league and he still leads. i want to see him with the ball. not fin or daniels or walker or whoever has a thorn up their butt. dirk is the man.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:00 PM   #29
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

What I wanna know is why the hell is Daniels starting OVER Jamison? Jamison,
in the few minutes he has per game, is extremely effective usually shooting
over 50% of his shots. Granted he got injured the last game, but he should
have been starting. And who the hell puts two rookies on the floor in a
playoff game of this caliber? I don't care how much potential they have they
need to be on the bench watching and learning. They can't possibly know all
there is about playoffs already. Granted Finley was off, but he just hadn't
found his niche we need to give him time.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:06 PM   #30
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

n

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 02-15-2007 at 12:46 AM.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:00 AM   #31
Richard

Richard is on a distinguished road

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote