Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-21-2004, 12:57 PM   #1
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default Shaq trade scenarios

Lets see if we can work this out.

My first attempt:

Dallas gives up:
Walker's trade exception - $14.6M
Antawn Jamison - $12.6M
Danny Fortson - $5.9M
Josh Howard - $.823M
Tony Delk - $3.2M
Total - $37.1M
Dallas receives:
Nick Van Exel - $11.8M
Shaquille O'Neill - $29.5M
Total - $40.8

L.A gives up:
Shaquille O'Neill - $29.5M
L.A. receives:
Erick Dampier - sign and trade at $10M
Antawn Jamison - $12.6M
Danny Fortson - $5.9M
Total: $28.5

Golden State gives up:
Nick Van Exel - $11.8M
Erick Dampier - sign and trade at $10M
Total - $21.8M
Golden State receives:
Josh Howard - $.823M
Tony Delk - $3.2M
Walker's trade exception - $14.6M
Total: $18.6

Dallas might also have to throw some cash G.S's way.

The lineups -

Dallas:
C: Shaq, Bradley
PF: Dirk, Najera
SF: Finley
SG: Daniels, Steffansen
PG: Nash, Van Exel

L.A.
C: Dampier, Medvendenko
PF: Jamison, Fortson, Cook
SF: George, Fox, Walton
SG: Kobe
PG: Rush

G.S.
C: Foyle, Eschmeyer
PF: Troy Murphy
SF: Dunleavey, Josh Howard, Cliff Robinson
SG: Richardson, Peitrus
PG: Claxton, Delk
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2004, 01:06 PM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Shaq trade scenarios

monkey, you'd have my vote....

but is GS getting enough in return? I mean, Howard is nice and will be for a long time...but this would be a money move for them and not a move toward winning....

LA would do it..kobe can take 25-30 shots a game and would still have a big body to clog the middle without needing the ball like shaq and Jamison would ideal for the Lakers a player who can fill it up without hurting kobe's feelings....

and dallas?? well.....they would jump all over this.....the Mavs get the best of this by far.....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:07 PM   #3
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Shaq trade scenarios

This should work even if Walker isn't chosen, it would just delay the savings by GS but would leave them with talent. We could possibly sweeten the deal by including Bradley instead of Delk and throwing LA our 2006 draft pick + 3 million.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:07 PM   #4
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I think you're on the right track since Dampier would appeal to LA. I can't imagine GS being in a hurry to help their rivals just across the state though.

I still don't think Walker gets selected in the expansion draft though.

Do Nick and Shaq get along better now?
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:13 PM   #5
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Sike, for GS they'd be getting something for Dampier which they would basically lose without compensation since they don't want to pay him the big bucks. They'd also dump NVE's salary. Either the Walker TE or Walker himself if not drafted by Charlotte would enable them to be a major player in making trades. So this could turn out to be very good for them in getting better.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:17 PM   #6
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
is GS getting enough in return? I mean, Howard is nice and will be for a long time...but this would be a money move for them and not a move toward winning....
Yes, it's a pure money move... but we're talking some serious money. I figure they'd save almost $8Mil next year alone by doing the deal. If the Mavericks threw in $3Mil cash into the deal, that's $11M to the bottom line. PLUS they get a very nice 2nd year player who looks like he's got a great NBA future. Not too shabby in my opinion.

I would be suprised if GS tried to land an expensive player for Dampier. They aren't that attractive to free agents right now. I think they'll dangle Dampier out there and quickly realize that no one's going to give them an all-star player in return. More than likely they'll just let him go and make a run at some big name free agent next year.

Old 06-21-2004, 01:19 PM   #7
madape
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Sike, for GS they'd be getting something for Dampier which they would basically lose without compensation since they don't want to pay him the big bucks. They'd also dump NVE's salary. Either the Walker TE or Walker himself if not drafted by Charlotte would enable them to be a major player in making trades. So this could turn out to be very good for them in getting better.
In order for this deal to work, the Bobcats must select Walker. Van Exel has a team option next year, which the Warriors will likely excersize. Any money they save will come from this year alone... there's no reason for them to take on the last year of walker's deal. Nick will make over $11M next year, so we're still talking about a lot of money.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:21 PM   #8
LRB
Guru

Ape GS would still save more money with Walker than with NVE pluse if we threw in $3 million and a draft pick it would be even better. I also think that Walker is more tradeable than NVE.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:47 PM   #9
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Old 06-21-2004, 01:52 PM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why GS would want Howard? Dunleavy is the starting sf and they hope to trade Richardson to make room for Pietrus at sg.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:00 PM   #11
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
I don't know why GS would want Howard? Dunleavy is the starting sf and they hope to trade Richardson to make room for Pietrus at sg.
are they not making Dunleavy into a point forward type??? Howard's slashing style would work well with the run a gun of GS....it could work...howard fits with just about anyone...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 06-21-2004, 02:18 PM   #12
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
well thy can use depth I'm sure. And if nothing else, Howard is a great trading chip. Package Howards terrific talent and tiny contract with a garbage contract and it gives you flexibility to make a move.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:27 PM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
are they not making Dunleavy into a point forward type??? Howard's slashing style would work well with the run a gun of GS....it could work...howard fits with just about anyone...
I think GS will draft one of the big men (Pavel, Ramos, Swift, Araujo) to replace Dampier. 2 or 3 of those guys should be available with the 11th pick. Not only could they lose Dampier, but Foyle as well.

The reason Dunleavy had to be used as a pg was because NVE was out with the knee injury and then Claxton was out with the broken hand.

They could draft a pg if they slip down that far. Nelson or Telfair could be on the list but are they worth passing up one of those big men above?
Old 06-21-2004, 03:01 PM   #14
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Not a bad trade for Dallas. The Lakers will not want to do it, but it may end up being the best offer they get from a Western Conference team. GS will be the losers of this 3-team trade.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 04:05 PM   #15
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Walker Jamison and the number 10 pick to LA for Shaq.

Dallas trades Josh Howard
recieves Shaq
LA trades Shaq
recieves Jamison, Walker, Battie and the number 10 pick in the draft
Cleveland trades Battie and number 10 pick in the draft
recieves howard.

LA gets two possible all-stars in jamison, walker and a future player possibly Pavel the 7ft 5 giant.
Cleveland gets a running mate with James Howard.
Dallas recieves Shaq.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 04:42 PM   #16
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Walker Jamison and the number 10 pick to LA for Shaq.

Dallas trades Josh Howard
recieves Shaq
LA trades Shaq
recieves Jamison, Walker, Battie and the number 10 pick in the draft
Cleveland trades Battie and number 10 pick in the draft
recieves howard.

LA gets two possible all-stars in jamison, walker and a future player possibly Pavel the 7ft 5 giant.
Cleveland gets a running mate with James Howard.
Dallas recieves Shaq.
Does this compute in realGM?
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 05:04 PM   #17
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I just tried it, and it seems to work on RealGM.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 11:19 PM   #18
sike
The Preacha

CLE is giving up a lot....and just for a one year player.....interesting....would they give the #10 and Battie for just Howard?? I think not.