Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-23-2004, 08:23 PM   #1
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default where does the number 5 pick go?

i could use some help here. please feel free to chime in...

where does the number 5 pick go? with orlando rebuilding and us taking on stackhouse, we now have a glut of sg's. does a finley/#5 pick for grant hill/#1 pick make it a done deal? i see us as instantly having leverage in getting a deal accomplished. indulge my imagination here for a bit:

your starting lineup for next yr looks like:
nash/AJ/steffanson
daniels/stackhouse/wahead
howard/hill/walker (if not dealt elsewhere)
nowitzki/najera/fortson
okafor/bradley/laettner

aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2004, 09:10 PM   #2
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default RE:where does the number 5 pick go?

some other things i was thinking about.

have the mavs now inserted themselves into the tracy mcgrady sweepstakes?
walker/finley/josh howard/#5

for tmac/hill/#1

if you've given up on shaq, you say screw it and draft okafor. turn around, ship stackhouse to san antonio for malik rose. ship laettner to golden state for a resigned foyle and AJ.

you've now got a stud team.

imagine and indulge me here.

nash/steffanson/AJ
daniels/wahad
tmac/hill
dirk/rose/najera/fortson
okafor/foyle/bradley
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:11 PM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: where does the number 5 pick go?

I think Stackhouse/#5 would be the deal because Stackhouse has a way more reasonable contract than Finley.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:54 PM   #4
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I said this in the Mavs forum, but I'm MORE for getting TMAC, Okafor than Shaq.

Okafor, Tmac, Dirk...championships for a decade.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:56 PM   #5
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sort of hoping it means a move for Okafor, but I could see us trading down or out just as easily as I can see us trading up. This one caught me completely by surprise, and I won't even fake having an idea of what they're up to next.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:09 AM   #6
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

If T-Mac was available for Stack and the #5, why didn't the Wizards make that trade directly?

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 03:26 AM   #7
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

How about This Multi-Trade Scenario:

Trade 1)
Christian Laettner

for

Al Harrington..............Pacers can draft a good PG with the #5, get an expiring contract

Trade2)
Jerry Stackhouse

for

Kurt Thomas
Frank Williams............Its already been rumored by ESPN, so why not.

Trade3)
Antoine Walker
Future Pick(if neccesary)

for

Erik Dampier
Evan Eshmeyer

Then trade up to earlier in the 2nd rd somehow to get Duke's Chris Duhon. Smart, Defensive minded PG.

After all that we get younger, better defensively, & everybody is playing in-position.

Nash / Duhon
Finley / Daniels
Harrington / Howard
Nowitzki / Thomas
Dampier / Bradley
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 05:13 AM   #8
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Screw any deals for Dampier, and the more I think about it, the less likely it seems to me that we aquired the #5 pick just to send it to the Lakers. I say our newly aquired draft pick is going to be used to draft the mythical 3rd member of Cuban's "next Big 3", Andris Biedrins.

"His versatility is the first thing that comes to mind. Terrific athlete, can handle it. He's got tremendous upside."
— Dallas Mavericks president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson

As for a Shaq trade... The braintrust has a very strong hand to play in that game, and I am sure they will continue to look at the Shaq sweepstakes as a target of opportunity. However, I don't believe the braintrust is about to abandon their previously laid Summer plans just because of the absurd number of star NBA players demanding trades, and tonight's Mavs-Wiz trade was a significant sign of that resolve.

I believe that we will still proceed apace to resign Nash and Marquis, and I furthermore believe that Biedrins is the big man Donnie and Cuban have been eyeing in this draft for quite some time now, and that last night's trade was made solely to accomplish his aquisition.

Picking up a future useful trade piece in Laettner (who should also be damned useful playing off of the bench this year), and a tidy and inexpensive insurance policy against the eventuality of our sending Fin to LA or elsewhere, in Jerry Stackhouse, are just additional benefits of the deal....

Things are going to continue to get very interesting this Summer as we pursue Shaq, Vince, AI and others, but I actually think that Donnie's desire to aquire Biedrins was the driving cause of this trade, and thus I think we would have tried our darndest to move up to aquire a high draft pick in this underrated draft, regardless of Shaq's recent trade demand.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:31 AM   #9
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Wow EvilMav, you sure are putting a lot of faith in this Biendris kid. I guess if we hear his name called at #5 tonight, we can suspect you are right. However, I have a feeling the pick will be made for another team.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:54 AM   #10
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

As I said above, my guess is that this trade was executed in order to bring a "New Big 3" into existence, and help to translate monstrous salary obligations (ala the Jamison contract) into cheaper, tradable players (Laettner, Stack), and more importantly, into a deeper, cheaper, younger talent base that can help ensure the Mavs remain an NBA power for years to come.

I know that we will be in the thick of the hunt to aquire established star players this Summer, but I also think that any Maverick bids to aquire any Shaqs or Vince Carters or Allen Iversons will have to be opportunistically and aggressively pursued in the aftermath of Donnie aquiring a young big to grow up with Howard and Daniels: A young big named Andris Biedrens.

Shaq may yet come here, and this Jamison trade might well play an important role in facilitating the achievement of that dream, but my gut instinct tells me that Donnie executed last night's trade principally to aquire Biedrens.

And as far as whether I am right or not? We'll just have to wait to watch this evening's draft to find out...
Old 06-24-2004, 06:16 PM   #11
samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick is on a distinguished road

Old 06-24-2004, 11:36 PM   #12
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

looks like they are trying to send Nash packing via sign and trade with 2 pg that have been compared to him taken tonight