Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-15-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Erick Dampier...

is NOT a better option for this team than Shawn Bradley. Never mind the fact that we don't have anything GS wants that we'd be willing to give in a S&T. He just doesn't really make this team better.

I'd appreciate it if everyone would stop talking about him now.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:02 PM   #2
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Erick Dampier...

DITTO!
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 05:08 PM   #3
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

It's true that Dampier is NOT a better option than Bradley in head to head comparision. But you have to look at it through Nellie's eyes.

Would you rather have Bradley sitting on the bench "Nellie's Dog house" half of the season? or have Dampier playing ? If Nellie is committed to play Bradley, I rather stay put. It's all in the fact that Dirk have to play PF 90% of the time for this team to be effective. Therefore, a move to get a fulltime center is a must for this team. How about offer Vlade veteran minimum and play 20 mins a game.

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 05:16 PM   #4
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

I think your suggestion of a 20 min. rotation guy is good, just not sure Vlade can give you the 20 min. all season long. Look around on other rosters and find a vet that the other guys are unhappy with, then make a move.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 06:26 PM   #5
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Besides the fact Dampier is stronger and more athletic. Its a risk to sign the guy but clearly he would be an upgrade.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 06:34 PM   #6
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Erick Dampier...

Thank you KG for this wonderful thread. F*** Erick Dampier.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:06 PM   #7
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

Perhaps the long-desired (on these boards) Dampier + NVE combo is about to be available to the Mavs? At the right price (salary wise and trade wise), dont you think Dampier might be a nice fit?

Wouldnt you be willing to offer Dampier a deal starting at 8.5M or less (speculation says he might have to settle for the MLE but it seems he is worth more and you could justify more)? GS really would love to ship out NVE, so offer to take him off their hands. If you can get GS to agree to the deal, and can trade Walker + Delk for that pair, wouldnt you do it?
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:28 PM   #8
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not in love with the idea of getting Damp, but I'd have no problem with him either. He could be a good starter for the Mavs, I think. My main concern would be the cost of acquiring him, and the kind of contract he'd have. If we could get him for Walker (or something like him) and he were willing to accept a deal of 4 years, 36 million (or less), I'd absolutely pull the trigger.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:31 PM   #9
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I think Dampier is one of the most difficult players in the entire league to get a pulse on. He's got talent and the ability to really help a team out. But he has to combine that with health and desire. A change of scenery would do wonders for him. Personally, I'm willing to take a chance on him, but I would hate to give him any more than 4 years.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:55 PM   #10
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm usually right there with you KG, but I couldn't disagree more. I've come to the conclusion that since Dirk is not a physical power forward, you need a physical center next to him. Now there are a number of those in the league, however, most of the ones that are available are not very athletic, and thus would have a hard time keeping up with our style of play.

Will Dampier be overpaid, yes, but it's not my money. If we're going to overpay somebody, can it be a big man for a change?
Old 07-15-2004, 08:09 PM   #11
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Last edited by Jeremiah; 06-09-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:32 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Please....just say no to Damp.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:57 PM   #13
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Actually, Yao ming is the best centre in the west right now and we have bradley and Najera who can guard him extremely well. I think our need is more at the power forward who can defend. Someone like Rasheed/Kmart. Both of them are gone. Just my thought.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:24 PM   #14
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

I think Bradley is good enough to give us 20min/game. But Nellie, for reasons best known only to him, won't play Bradley. In a center-starved league, Mavs probably had the worst interior defense last year. After Shaq & Yao, I can't think of too many pure centers that are better than Dampier.

I'd be happy if we could dump Walk & L8 for Damp & Nick.

Our team would be:

Damp/Bradley/DJ
Dirk/Najera/Fortson
Finley/Howard
Daniels/Stack
NVE/Harris

IR: Pavel, Stef, TAW

That's an awesome mix of youth & experience, talent & athleticism and both inside & outside game to trouble any team in the West or Least.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 09:32 PM   #15
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: V2M
Our team would be:

Damp/Bradley/DJ
Dirk/Najera/Fortson
Finley/Howard
Daniels/Stack
NVE/Harris

Don't forget the 2nd IR list as well.

SecondaryIR: Avery, Delk, Flores
Old 07-15-2004, 09:41 PM   #16
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Then again if he came here and he screwed up you could always say damp it.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:43 PM   #17
uweblab

uweblab is on a distinguished road

the reason nellie doesn't play Bradley.....is maybe because he sucks......the mavs need a Dampier, he's an upgrade at the center position anyway you look at it.
uweblab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:54 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
is NOT a better option for this team than Shawn Bradley. Never mind the fact that we don't have anything GS wants that we'd be willing to give in a S&T. He just doesn't really make this team better.

I'd appreciate it if everyone would stop talking about him now.
I sincerely hope the Mavs disagree with you.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 11:26 PM   #19
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
Quote:
Originally posted by: V2M
Our team would be:

Damp/Bradley/DJ
Dirk/Najera/Fortson
Finley/Howard
Daniels/Stack
NVE/Harris

Don't forget the 2nd IR list as well.

SecondaryIR: Avery, Delk, Flores

Good point. I reckon Avery will waived as a player and become a coach before the season starts. They just chose this path so he could get paid more than the other Assistant Coaches. Flores won't be signed... may get shipped off to Europe. Delk, I'd just send him alongwith $3M to ATL or CHA and just get a trade exception and/or a 2nd round pick.

Old 07-16-2004, 12:14 AM   #20
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Or maybe they send PPod back to Europe for a year to get regular floor time in games?

More feasible idea is to find a way to move some of the glut in a 2 or 3 (junk) for 1 (junk). If equal dollars are involved, another team might find use (other than IR list) for the Delks, Fortsons, and even TAWs (who is quite healthy) of the world.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:23 AM   #21
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

right one PE, turn the waste into decent 4/5 guys. They don't have to be stars but just good depth guys.
Delk/Fort/Naj = one or two avg bangers (KT or even Jerome Williams)
Old 07-16-2004, 10:01 AM   #22
V2M
Diamond Member

Quote:
Or maybe they send PPod back to Europe for a year to get regular floor time in games?

More feasible idea is to find a way to move some of the glut in a 2 or 3 (junk) for 1 (junk). If equal dollars are involved, another team might find use (other than IR list) for the Delks, Fortsons, and even TAWs (who is quite healthy) of the world.

I'm not sure if we should do that. European coaches seem to give playing time based on seniority basis (I read on this board discussing why PPod never got much playing time in Italy). So I might just keep him on the team and get a full-time coach who'd teach him some fundamentals and then get him enough practice time going against Bradley, DJ, L8 or whoever comes in to play Center for us.

Agree with you on the idea of moving 2 or 3 (junk) for 1 (junk). But I don't see any on the horizon that could work in our favor.
We may just need to bribe the Bobcats or the Hawks to pick up a player or two cheap. At least, we can lessen the luxury tax while clearing up a spot or two.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:40 AM   #23
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Perhaps the long-desired (on these boards) Dampier + NVE combo is about to be available to the Mavs? At the right price (salary wise and trade wise), dont you think Dampier might be a nice fit?

Wouldnt you be willing to offer Dampier a deal starting at 8.5M or less (speculation says he might have to settle for the MLE but it seems he is worth more and you could justify more)? GS really would love to ship out NVE, so offer to take him off their hands. If you can get GS to agree to the deal, and can trade Walker + Delk for that pair, wouldnt you do it?
8.5M or less, but for how many years? I wouldn't want to give the guy more than 4 years. If all I have to give is Walker and Delk, I suppose I'd do the deal. Dampier just doesn't do that much for me, but I'd love to get Nick back.

Old 07-16-2004, 11:58 AM   #24
argo

argo is on a distinguished road

one thing thats a plus about Damp is that he has never played on a winning team.
he could be inspired to play for a winner
argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 03:34 PM   #25
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

My hwole deal on damp is the fact that if we sign him for 6 years he is here for 6 years, no matter how crappy he is.

Go for Z just to fill the hole for the year