Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-30-2002, 01:40 AM   #1
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

I was amazed this evening at the game to hear the fans next to me, behind me, etc..., just trash the team with five minutes left. I had to get ugly at that point.But yet they had a point, they were the norm...the fans were leaving in droves towards the door....five minutes left? I've seen us come back before with five on the clock.

Excuse me but I would rather loose to anyone BUT THE CLIP-PURRS, but.....we can't win them all. The comments I heard in the arena tonight...well...you'al are spoiled brats!

And to the chick that kept telling us to sit down and be quiet..............please......we are Yankees....pardon me, damn Yankees who now live in Dallas(three years, season tickets holders, and since first seeing the Mav's live), think the Mavs are the best thing since sliced bread.

It sure was great to see Fin back, and meaner than ever before...he is determined. I can't wait to see what this team can do the second half of the season.

Not a bandwagoner...I think that's what you'al in Texas call it.

Old 01-30-2002, 02:17 AM   #2
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Geez, that's pretty terrible, the boo birds coming out in full force at the end of the game, give the team a break people, they can't win every single game. (although it'd be nice) The Mavs will eventually be the best team in the league (in my opinion) and will win tons more games this year, and will probably look at this loss as a learning experience and be better because of it. I also have a feeling they won't be losing to the clippers again any time soon, getting embarrased on their home court like that...
Old 01-30-2002, 07:07 AM   #3
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

I promise this is something you will NEVER get used to - but it comes along with success.

Every game you do not win or shine those fans will be "annoyed" about the poor performance.
It´s just the same with my soccer team Bayern Munich over here. We´re going through a crisis at the moment, and instead of supporting the hell out of you to get your team back to their own level of game the fans start to get angry, or leave, or start critizism like "... they can´t be that good, hey they lost to the Clips ...".

It´s always something that comes along with success, people just don´t realize that even losing is part of success, maybe even more than the winnings itself. It´s not that the Mavs really did lose that game yesterday since they stopped playing in the fourth, because of "I dont care to lose this one" or stuff like this.
McInnis shots were dropping.
End of line.
Ours didnt.
Things happen.
We´re still a jump shot team, and though we are a pretty good one, there´s some risk left that we lose games. And that´s good. It will help us decide between bandwaggon and true-hearted fans.

(Btw - last wednesday there were a mere of 4,000 fans at our 61,000 stadium at a cup-game quarterfinals - that gives you a feeling of "fair weather" fans ...)
Old 01-30-2002, 09:12 AM   #4
Road Rage

Road Rage is on a distinguished road

I agree. With the noted exception of a lot of the posters here, I think a LOT of Mavs fans are ignorant, spoiled brats. Just look at a lot of the posts on other Mavs boards (which I refuse to even do anymore). A good deal of whining, sniveling and player/coach bashing. NOT constructive criticism or voicing of concerns, but rather a bunch of idiotic vitriol.

I don't suppose this is unusual though, with success the bandwagoners will come in droves; the Mavs are no exception. I just get a kick out of how the same guy who will boo the team, cuss the coach's name and rip on the players endlessly will in the same breath say "I've been a Mavs fan since day one."

B.S.
Road Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 09:51 AM   #5
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

In this one way, the games are better when the Mavs are below average: We don't get wayward cowboy fans looking for a champion to like. You just get either die hard mavs fans or people that feel lucky to go to a game.

I feel your pain.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 03:14 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

in all honesty,i think the only group of fans in the metroplex that aren't fair weather fans are the fans of the rangers..even when they are bad, they will still show up in good numbers of fans at the games

most other sports in the area..completely fair weather and/or ignorant fans
not everyone..but quite a few
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 03:43 PM   #7
TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 will become famous soon enoughTwoDeep3 will become famous soon enough

I disagree completely with the last post.

What is reality in our society is the fact that people want to support a winner.

Last season the team had that golden umbrella of success that was so utterly surprizing to most it was viewed as a gift rather than a normal state of affairs in regard to this team.

That time has passed. Fans want to be competitive with the successful franchises.

Our entire society has morphed into a winners only frame of mind. That is why you see so many young people wearing the clothing from the latest winner.

This is not just a Metroplex attitude, but one that is prevelant throughout the country.

I feel the flames of dissent are fed by sports talk shows. Which is another issue. When you hear Randy Galloway ranting on like he actually has a point, there are so many that wish to jump on his bandwagon and be on the winning side.

Keep in mind that Galloway was the loudest voice in the Metroplex claiming Jimmy Johnson would fall on his butt. Now his show is nothing but a Jimmy butt-kiss fest. He uses that to whip up the emotions of people that can't think for themselves and wish to be on "the winning side."

While this post has been all over the map, its central theme is this is not just Dallas/Ft. Worth but all of the country that is fickle.

Old 01-31-2002, 04:56 PM   #8
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

TwoDeep3...you should really posts more often.
Old 01-31-2002, 05:55 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

why did you say that you disagree with my post and then pretty much everything you said in your post was in agreement with what i said?

doesn't make sense.
if you want to disagree or somesuch, go ahead and disagree...don't say you disagree and then support what i say when i say there are alot of fair weather fans in most sports around the area

the rangers are the only team in the area that has a consistent attendance base regardless of their record...it does have something to do with the relative cheap price of baseball tickets but it also has something to do with the type of fans they are
it has been that way for years.
are you not from this area?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote