Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-18-2004, 02:24 PM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Peja waits by phone, but the Maloofs aren't calling

Peja waits by phone, but the Maloofs aren't calling

Stojakovic, his demands still firm, has plenty on plate after his son's birth.

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Just 10 minutes into his new-found status as a daddy Tuesday, Peja Stojakovic was feeling the love for his son, Andrej, he no longer has for the Kings."It was the best experience of my life," Stojakovic said from Salonika, Greece. "I can see already how everything means nothing once you have a child.

Kings owner Joe Maloof said he was excited to learn that Stojakovic and his fiancée, Aleka Kamila, had their baby.

But on the subject of meeting Stojakovic's trade demand, Maloof said there was no change.

"We have no intentions of trading Peja," Maloof said Tuesday. "I just don't see us without Peja Stojakovic."

Stojakovic and his agent, David Bauman, say they haven't backed off their demand and would prefer it to be sooner than later.

Initially, though, Bauman hopes his client receives at least a telephone call from the Kings' ownership.

"They haven't talked with Peja, and I don't understand that," Bauman said Monday. "Peja called and left the number. He's getting really upset about that. I guess if he was (Tracy) McGrady or (Stephon) Marbury or (Chris) Webber, they would have called."

The Washington, D.C.-area based agent said he read in the Washington Post on Sunday about Gavin Maloof discussing hotel heiress Nicky Hilton and her stay at the family's Palms Hotel in Las Vegas.

"I guess they have more interest in things like that than talking to the star of their team," Bauman said.

Said Stojakovic: "I have been waiting for (the Maloofs) to call me back, but they haven't called. I don't know, I guess they are not taking me seriously.

"But I have not changed the way I've felt (about the trade) since the last time I talked to you."

Joe Maloof said Bauman's comment about his brother and Hilton did not deserve a response.

"I will say that, remember, Peja is under contract," Maloof said. "Gavin and I will talk to Peja when we think it's the right time. The guy is getting ready to have a baby. ... "

Maloof then was informed about Andrej's arrival.

"Well, that's the best news of the day," Maloof said.

"I know he was ticked off when he talked to Geoff (Petrie, the Kings' president of basketball operations), but sometimes it's better to let things calm down and people cool off.

"We're going to talk to him in the near future."

Bauman said the Maloofs will not know Stojakovic's true feelings until they talk to him.

"I keep reading that this is going to blow over," the agent said, "but until they talk to Peja, they are not going to know the real deal.

"I mean, we're talking about the owners of a team, hands-on owners, who haven't talked to their three-time All-Star. They don't want to trade him, but to really understand what is upsetting Peja, they need to talk to him."

Meanwhile, Stojakovic's outlook already has been adjusted.

"Eventually, Andrej was born through (Caesarean) section," the new father said. "But mentally I'm exhausted, so you know how (Aleka) is feeling."
Old 08-19-2004, 04:47 AM   #2
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Peja waits by phone, but the Maloofs aren't calling

That's pretty sad to see how the MVP Candidate is getting treated by the Kings. I hope this is the beginning of the end to their reign as an elite team in the West.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:30 AM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the Kings will make the playoffs and I don't think Adelman will be back.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:10 AM   #4
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Kings should be calling around to trade Webber.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:52 PM   #5
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Dirk isn't crying to be traded because his best pal was traded. There is something to be said that he disappears in the playoffs. He wasn't the reason the kings got passed Dallas. Cwebb, Bibby and Christie were the reason that they got passed Dallas.

Peja doesn't create his own shot and may be a product of the princeton offense. I think things will cool down and if not where will he go that is a better situation then in Sacramento. He won't go to a western conference team, will he be better off in Chicago, or Indiana.

The Kings still have Bibby, Jackson, Christie, Miller and Webber without Peja they will be a top five seed.

1) San Antonio
2) Minnesota
3) Dallas
4) Denver
5)Sacramento
Old 08-19-2004, 02:09 PM   #6
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Dirk isn't crying to be traded because his best pal was traded. There is something to be said that he disappears in the playoffs. He wasn't the reason the kings got passed Dallas. Cwebb, Bibby and Christie were the reason that they got passed Dallas.

Peja doesn't create his own shot and may be a product of the princeton offense. I think things will cool down and if not where will he go that is a better situation then in Sacramento. He won't go to a western conference team, will he be better off in Chicago, or Indiana.

The Kings still have Bibby, Jackson, Christie, Miller and Webber without Peja they will be a top five seed.

1) San Antonio
2) Minnesota
3) Dallas
4) Denver
5)Sacramento

In fact, only Bibby is a player I would want replacing one of our starters on the Mavs, (that is the Peja-less lineup you listed)!
Old 08-19-2004, 02:42 PM   #7
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Peja waits by phone, but the Maloofs aren't calling

Crying baby !!! Suck it up and play. You still undercontract.
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:05 PM   #8
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

if i was being paid millions of dollars to play in the nba i wouldnt complain but that's (kind of) besides the point
i think jayc has a good point of dirk not crying but i dont think the kings can be a top five team with out peja
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:17 PM   #9
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

well, its not as if they aren't going to get anything for Peja. He is a DAMN valuable trade commodity. He finished 3rd in the MVP balloting last year.

So the question really is:

With the line-up lifted above AND
Artest or AK47 or Pierce or <insert good player here>
Are the kings any good?
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:13 PM   #10
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

AK47, Pierce>>>Peja

Peja is a great shooter, but if I was building a team and the MVP of my team was one of the three players above, it would be AK47, then Pierce, and my last choice would be Peja. I see the Artest for Peja trade as most likely.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:14 PM   #11
Mavs4skin

Mavs4skin is on a distinguished road

I think the Kings could be good with a guy like Artest, but like it was said he is too valuable to trade for anybody with a similar contract. His worth far exceeds his crappy contract.
Mavs4skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:48 PM   #12
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Let's hope Doug Christie hasn't rubbed off on him... I don't want him to start bringing his fiance to every game and partaking in satanic rituals with her every time he scores a point.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:50 PM   #13
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman55
Let's hope Doug Christie hasn't rubbed off on him... I don't want him to start bringing his fiance to every game and partaking in satanic rituals with her every time he scores a point.
It isnt doug christie who would be rubbing off on him... it is Jackie Christie rubbing off on his fiance, making him her bitch
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:04 AM   #14
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
AK47, Pierce>>>Peja

Peja is a great shooter, but if I was building a team and the MVP of my team was one of the three players above, it would be AK47, then Pierce, and my last choice would be Peja. I see the Artest for Peja trade as most likely.
I'd agree that AK47 is the class of this group.

I'm less sure of pierce, though. He's shown the ability to be the best player an a semi-mediocre team. He hasn't shown the ability to be a cog in a well oiled dominant machine though, which is what the Kings (or the Mavs) would need. In those world championships 2 years ago, he was the most agregious offender of the "not able to play well with the other stars" croud".

AK, Artest and Peja have all shown the ability to blend in and play within the confines of their team-mates, making them all better. Pierce definately has not.

(on the other hand, he is fairly clutch. Peja has yet to show any idication of that)

Overall I'd rank them

1. AK
2. Peja and Artest
3. Pierce

as champ puzzle pieces
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:16 AM   #15
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

1) Artest- the guy can play guards all the way up to powerforwards. I love his game, hate his attitude.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:44 PM   #16
StvNash13

StvNash13 is on a distinguished road

Artest is dead as a player to me after what happened in the Detroit series. He didn't prove himself to be a man or a real competitor. Breaking down like that is not a sign of a champion, or an athlete for that matter.
StvNash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 11:14 AM   #17
dmavsfan

dmavsfan is on a distinguished road

Jay C ,

The Kings didn't beat us. Nelson did. Hard to beat a team in the NBA when you REFUSE to play your centers!
Old 08-21-2004, 01:22 PM   #18
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Imagine if the Kings worked out a deal to get Ron Artest in there? Christie at the 2 and Artest at the 3? I wonder would the Celtics do a Peja for Pierce swap. I'd love to see Peja in the east coast but I wouldn't want to see Pierce in the West alongside Webb and Bibby. I would however put money that a Kings team with Pierce would implode before March.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 04:07 PM   #19
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Imagine if the Kings worked out a deal to get Ron Artest in there? Christie at the 2 and Artest at the 3? I wonder would the Celtics do a Peja for Pierce swap. I'd love to see Peja in the east coast but I wouldn't want to see Pierce in the West alongside Webb and Bibby. I would however put money that a Kings team with Pierce would implode before March.
If Peja gets traded, which I seriously doubt, the only deal that makes any sense is "Peja for Artest". It's like the offensive player of the year for the defensive player of the year. Salaries match well which obviates the need to include additional players. Both teams are winners in the opposite conferences. Kings could use some defense while Pacers could use some offense. Perfect for both teams!! Only potential problem is Artest's attitude which might scare the Kings away.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote