Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-25-2004, 01:09 PM   #1
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default The Fight to the Bitter End Rangers Stretch Run Rally Thread

We lost so it's ok to start this now. No jinxing here. [Hope you don't mind that I start this, Doc.]

Anaheim lost last night too so the Rangers & Angels are tied & are both 3 back w/just 9 games to go. Not looking good but then, I thought they were done about 3 weeks ago & this team just flat refuses to die.

It's been a miraculous, improbable, wonderful season. Anything can happen. GO RANGERS GO!
Old 09-25-2004, 04:02 PM   #2
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: The Fight to the Bitter End Rangers Stretch Run Rally Thread

Go Rangers GO.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:17 AM   #3
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Yes Rangers won and a's lost and that is always a good news.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:12 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

2 Games back. All of the AL West teams will be beating up on each other until the end. Should be fun.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 07:04 PM   #5
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:The Fight to the Bitter End Rangers Stretch Run Rally Thread

Damn Seattle is paying us back for the times we've played spoiler. Running out of time, but this is a nice quote from Michael Young:

"We're not deflated,'' Young said. "We're a good team and we've got some good baseball in us. September baseball ... this is fun for us.''
Old 09-26-2004, 09:39 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

0-9 ames after you started this thread. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Go Rangers!
Old 09-26-2004, 10:38 PM   #7
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Go Rangers!
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 09:05 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

poor guys... no one's there.....

rangers up 3-1 on Mench's dong
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 10:21 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
poor guys... no one's there.....

rangers up 3-1 on Mench's dong
That must hurt. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Go Rangers!
Old 09-27-2004, 10:22 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Rat stinking Angels. 3-4 in the top of the ninth. Come on Rangers!
Old 09-27-2004, 10:44 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

bases loaded...no one out and delucci pops out in the infield..infield fly
1 out, bases loaded and the rangers need 1 hit to tie the game
Old 09-27-2004, 10:45 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

mench the nutless wonder pops out.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:58 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Rangers choke late, lose 5-3.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:19 PM   #14
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

crap

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:56 AM   #15
Drbio
Banned

A's won late. It's between the Angels and A's at this point.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:55 PM   #16
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

It's over, they lost 8-2

I'll still be there to give the Rangers a standing O. Anyone else gonna be there.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:21 AM   #17
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

bitter end indeed.

With the end in sight lets pause to reflect-
There is much to be excited about- afterall our Rangers weren't supposed to win 70 games let alone challenge for a playoff spot.

2004 Texas Rangers:
-MLB's best infield (teixeira & blalock breakout offensive seasons, young transitions to SS well)
-MLB's best bullpen (cordero on pace for a 50+ save season)
-youngsters showed promise at the plate & in the field (nix, barajas, laird, matthews jr.,)
-15+ wins for rogers & drese
-marvelous coaching job from jaramillo, hersheiser & buck

hold your heads up high ranger fans.....be proud of our boys.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:27 AM   #18
ames7
Diamond Member

Man this was supposed to be over seemingly forever ago. Nothing's tainting what they did this season.

I kinda want the Angels to beat the A's for the West if we can't have it. I really hate the A's. They're very hatable.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:41 AM   #19
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

[quote]
Originally posted by: capitalcity
bitter end indeed.

With the end in sight lets pause to reflect-
There is much to be excited about- afterall our Rangers weren't supposed to win 70 games let alone challenge for a playoff spot.

2004 Texas Rangers:
-MLB's best infield (teixeira & blalock breakout offensive seasons, young transitions to SS well)
-MLB's best bullpen (cordero on pace for a 50+ save season)
-youngsters showed promise at the plate & in the field (nix, barajas, laird, matthews jr.,)
-15+ wins for rogers & drese
-marvelous coaching job from jaramillo, hersheiser & buck

hold your heads up high ranger fans.....be proud of our boys.[/q

That's the reason I'm going to the game thursday despite the fact the Rangers are basically are out of the hunt. I can't wait to go show my appreciation to a team who was supposed to do nothing the season, but did many exciting things for me and many other fans. The Rangers didn't buy a pennant, but they sure as hell earned alot of respect throughout the league and that's all you could've hoped for at the beginning of the season.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:40 AM   #20
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Hold on... We are 3 Games back of Oakland/Anaheim with two more games against Anaheim and then 3 against Seattle... Oakland/Anaheim likewise play a 3 game series against each other after their current series... If Texas wins the final two games against Anaheim and Seattle wins the last two against Oakland with Texas then sweeping Seattle and Anaheim winning two of three against Oakland, that would put Anaheim and Texas in a two-way tie!!!

Im a little shaky as to what that means, (I dont know if Texas having the better head-to-head record would automatically put them past the Angels, or simply give them home field in a one game playoff), BUT, the point is that there is still a chance for Texas. Now, with that said, if Texas loses ONE MORE GAME out of their five, its OVER regardless what anyone else does... Also, if Oakland wins the final two against Seattle, its OVER no matter what Texas does... The Rangers might be able to make the playoffs one other way, (though my uncertainty about ties makes me wonder due to Oakland having a better head-to-head record against Texas)... That way would be accomplished if Seattle only wins one of two against Oakland, and then Anaheim wins two of three against Oakland... If that happens in conjunction with Texas winning the last five in a row, that would put Texas in a three-way tie... But I have no idea what happens then... Round robin???

Eh well, it almost DEFINITELY won't happen, but at least there is still hope!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I love baseball and I love the Rangers, and playoffs or not, this is the best year in a long time for me regarding sports, (Rangers young and respectable, Cowboys coming off of playoffs and look promising, Mavs have a good chance to do much better than last year)...

GO RANGERS!
Old 09-29-2004, 08:51 AM   #21
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I just answered some of my own questions... I found a good link from Texas' homepage!

Here ya go!

I still don't know what happens in case of a three-way tie though!
Old 09-29-2004, 10:50 AM   #22
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

ho hum...does anyone care what Kevin Sherrington says on any subject....DMN needs to cut the many spares and find some real talent. Chan Ho needs to go??? REALLY? ...find it here
Quote:
Season should not have come down to this
11:57 PM CDT on Tuesday, September 28, 2004
ARLINGTON – The evidence that a fairy tale ending was not forthcoming came quickly Tuesday, a cruel and premature ending at that, like Quentin Tarantino editing the kids' bedtime stories.

The Rangers' biggest game of the season, and you're asking Chan Ho Park to play the hero?

Rangers/MLB
Anaheim 8, Rangers 2

Guerrero, Angels leave Rangers without a prayer

Sherrington: Season should not have come down to this

Vlad making MVP run

Notebook: Laird unsure about winter ball

Box score | Highlights

A's lose, 7-2

AL West chase:
A's | Angels

Tuesday's MLB scoreboard

Wednesday's scouting report

More Rangers
Sixteen starters have tramped through here this season, from the occasional Nick Bierbrodt or Sam Narron or Nick Regilio to dependable Ryan Drese and Kenny Rogers, and feet shuffle again and you look up and it's ...

Chan Ho Park? Irony doesn't get much uglier than this.

No Texas team has played with more heart, and its season falls on the shoulders of the most overpaid underachiever in club history.

The last terrible reminder of John Hart's early reign of error, and he comes back to haunt one more time in an 8-2 loss to the Angels.

Unless, of course, Chan Ho Park is telling the story, and this is how it comes out:

"I had good stuff tonight," he said. "Fastball, curveball, change-up ... every pitch, I had good stuff."

Good stuff? Only three batters into the game, Vlad Guerrero turned on a Park pitch and stapled some unfortunate fan to his seat in left.

And it wouldn't be the last shot to go off. Simply sitting in Ameriquest Field on Tuesday was a little like setting off bottle rockets in a phone booth.

Guerrero's second homer, in the sixth, was so violently majestic exploding against a black sky that it seemed to momentarily take the breath of the 26,686 before they exhaled in awe.

Ooooooooooohhhhhhh.

The sound of life leaking from the Rangers' season.

Do the math: The best the Rangers could do now is tie for the West title with five games left, and it's not going to happen.

"No?" Buck Showalter asked. "You don't think so?"

No, Buck.

Not because the Rangers have given up.

They'll come out Wednesday and Thursday in their last home games and give it their best because it's their nature, what you've come to appreciate about this bunch in a remarkable season.

They were outmanned Tuesday, but then they usually are. The difference now is that they simply seem weary of the task.

Worn out trying to cover up a hole in the middle of the lineup where a designated hitter should be.

Worn out backing up 16 starters this season, a number that will reach 17 today when Kameron Loe ties the club record.

Worn out chasing Chan Ho Park's mistakes. And paying for them, too.

After giving up his first home run to Guerrero and losing his "focus," Park appeared to throw at Bengie Molina in the second, or at least that's what Molina thought as he glared out at the mound.

So what happens to the Rangers? Kelvim Escobar retaliates with a pitch close enough to shave David Dellucci's five-o'clock shadow.

"I don't know what Chan Ho was trying to do tonight," Escobar said. "He gets mad, he goes inside. There's no reason to do that.

"You just don't throw at a guy's head."

Bad enough that you can't handle a big game when asked. Don't put your teammates in jeopardy by losing your "focus."

Of course, not all of it was Park's fault Tuesday. John Wasdin gave up two home runs, too, and he didn't even put in a full two innings.

But Wasdin's not pulling down $65 million over five years, either.

And just think: Park's got two years left on his deal.

Hey, Tom Hicks: Seen enough?

Time to put Park out of everyone's misery. Wish him the best. Tell him no hard feelings.

Cut him a check.

Sure, it'd be hard, especially when Hicks is already underwriting Alex Rodriguez's season in New York.

And what if Park suddenly puts it all together?

Yeah, right.

As the rotation is set up now, Park would start the last game of the season against the Mariners.

Not if Showalter wants to save his clubhouse. This should be the last game Park ever pitches for the Rangers, a team that otherwise won't quit.

Not even when Mark Teixeira fouled a pitch off his knee and refused to come out.

"Pretty impressive bunch," Showalter said. "I'm proud of 'em."

He should be. And they deserved better than what they got from their starter Tuesday, this season's last cruel twist of fate.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:44 PM   #23
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Great time for Coco to suck ass... Back to back hits allowed in the ninth to blow the save, and then a two run homerun to Glaus to likely lose it for Texas...

Bottom of the inning coming up and the last chance for playoff baseball!!!
Old 09-29-2004, 11:49 PM   #24
DCowboysGal

DCowboysGal is on a distinguished road

Cordero always allows 1-2 hits or walks each outing. Despite his great ERA and save numbers, his WHIP is high (1.28) for a closer and his hits/IP ratio isn't as dominating as say that of Joe Nathan's or Armando Benitez's. Not having F. Francisco around to contribute 1-2 innings and 2-3 K's is coming back to bite us in the ass.
DCowboysGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 12:39 AM   #25
ames7
Diamond Member

Coco's been money all year. He always has to go the heart attack route, but he's really been too good w/very reasonable consistency for me to complain. This team's just burnt. You can only run so long on will alone. Even when we got w/in 2, it was a long shot. I just hope they win a few in Seattle & go out feeling good about themselves for this year.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:51 AM   #26
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

[img]i/expressions/musicnote.gif[/img] Turn out the lights, the party's over....[img]i/expressions/musicnote.gif[/img]
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:36 AM   #27
Drbio
Banned

I think ames will be living in shame for the entire baseball offseason. Since there will be no hockey to boot, she is going to be miserable. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

j/k amesie
Old 09-30-2004, 05:02 PM   #28
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Finally they beat Anaheim.........too bad it is a day late.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 07:18 PM   #29
ames7
Diamond Member

Fine! Rub it in, Doc. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

You don't understand how bad the hockey withdrawl is. This is so depressing. I really need basketball season to start.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:39 AM   #30
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

With the Rangers pitching rotation the way it was, it is truly amazing they were in a playoff race at all.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:56 AM   #31
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

If our young pitchers can come back and we can get one VERY GOOD guy in free agency, our lineup could look like this for years to come:

ACE: Hopefully someone from free agency bought with the money saved from A-Rod
#2: Ryan Drese
#3: Juan Dominguez
#4: Ricardo Rodriguez
#5: Colby Lewis
#6: Chris Young
#7: Joaquin Benoit (Oh how I hope he is traded)
*NOTE - This does not even bring into play the future guys like Danks, Diamond, etc...

That gives us a good five man rotation with one average 6th man if we are unable to pickup an ace, and a very good five man rotation with descent 6th and 7th men if we are... If we can keep the majority of our bullpen in Texas, we will improve drastically by maturity and health going into next year... If Dominguez and Rodriguez really turn out to be special like some hope for, we could have a slightly watered down version of the Oakland A's pitching staff... Big three in "ACE"/Drese (if no ace comes), Dominguez, and Rodriguez...
Old 10-01-2004, 10:02 AM   #32
ames7
Diamond Member

Of our offseason FAs, who do you want to see back?

Fullmer
Perry
EY
Dellucci
GMJ
Wasdin
Brocail
Powell

Even though he's not a FA, I don't expect to see Soriano back. I'd like to see EY & Dellucci back, they're cheap, reliable veterans. Maybe GMJ.

BTW, the deal w/Mahay finally went through. 2-year deal. I think it's smart.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:23 AM   #33
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: ames7
Of our offseason FAs, who do you want to see back?

Fullmer
Perry
EY
Dellucci
GMJ
Wasdin
Brocail
Powell

Even though he's not a FA, I don't expect to see Soriano back. I'd like to see EY & Dellucci back, they're cheap, reliable veterans. Maybe GMJ.

BTW, the deal w/Mahay finally went through. 2-year deal. I think it's smart.
I'd say bring them all but Fullmer and Powell back (and I wouldn't mind seeing both of them). I'd like to see Raffy at about a $1M as the DH. Bring Gonzales up permanently.

Could Gonzales or Tex play 2nd? If not, I wouldn't mind at all if they brought back Sori either, as long as he isn't too expensive. Could they move Ramon Navar back to 2nd if not, and give him the shot?

Delucci, Nix, Mench are a descent outfield; with GMJ, Jordan, EY (infield outfield) off the bench.

That leaves an ACE to be brought in. I'd like to see Rogers back as the #5 pitcher. ACE, Drese, Dominguez, Rodriguez, Rogers. With Lewis, and either Young or Wasdin in long relief. Frankie, Carlos, Cordero, Shouse, Mahay in the bull pen.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 10-01-2004, 10:55 AM   #34
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

You definitely have to have Adrian in Texas' plans next year... Either make or break the kid... Same with Tex and Blalock last year... I dont want another Pena situation where we are told we have one of the best prospects in baseball for 3 years only to see him not pan out... Sink or swim I always say...

We will hopefully have a FULL YEAR from all three of our permanent outfielders... Nix, Mench, and TEX... Thats right, Adrian is the better first baseman, so he needs to be put there... Tex needs to give our outfield the pop it has been missing, and hopefully Gonzales can bring a heavy bat as well... That gives us a definite outfield, and a definite infield, with only the catcher position and pitching situation left to discuss...

I would say to start Laird again and see if he can regain his average that he had this year before his injury, and to see if he can get a bit more pop behind his bat, (1 HR in right at 150 AB for a 6'2'' 220lb guy is not good)... If he starts doing his .220 thing again, throw Barajas in there and give him his shot...

Regarding Pitchers to cut on that list, I would definitely let Powell and Wasdin go... Keep Brocail just in case we get into a huge fight with another team, (would you want that guy swinging at you???)! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I would also cut Fullmer and Perry and bring EY and Dellucci back from that list!
Old 10-01-2004, 01:40 PM   #35
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Male23Dan
You definitely have to have Adrian in Texas' plans next year... Either make or break the kid... Same with Tex and Blalock last year... I dont want another Pena situation where we are told we have one of the best prospects in baseball for 3 years only to see him not pan out... Sink or swim I always say...

We will hopefully have a FULL YEAR from all three of our permanent outfielders... Nix, Mench, and TEX... Thats right, Adrian is the better first baseman, so he needs to be put there... Tex needs to give our outfield the pop it has been missing, and hopefully Gonzales can bring a heavy bat as well... That gives us a definite outfield, and a definite infield, with only the catcher position and pitching situation left to discuss...

I would say to start Laird again and see if he can regain his average that he had this year before his injury, and to see if he can get a bit more pop behind his bat, (1 HR in right at 150 AB for a 6'2'' 220lb guy is not good)... If he starts doing his .220 thing again, throw Barajas in there and give him his shot...

Regarding Pitchers to cut on that list, I would definitely let Powell and Wasdin go... Keep Brocail just in case we get into a huge fight with another team, (would you want that guy swinging at you???)! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I would also cut Fullmer and Perry and bring EY and Dellucci back from that list!
Good call. Who is going to be your 2? Are you bringing Soriano back, or did you have a different thought?

Old 10-01-2004, 09:29 PM   #36
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I sent the following to Dalmations in a PM, but thought it was worthy for all to read:

Quote:
Soriano is under contract and is relatively cheap for his production... I would leave him there, as we don't really have any internal options at 2B or SS to make up for his play... If you want to move Young back to 2B and bring in someone for SS or put Nivar at 2B, you damn sure better be getting pitching from a Soriano trade...

Regarding the Ace I would bring in, that is hard to say right now... It depends on who is TRULY available, (guys like Pedro are free agents, but may NEVER really contemplate coming to Texas)... I would say look at all options and pursue the top two or three arms that are available and pursue them HARD... We can't start another year without a true ace!!! We have saved a LOT of money from the A-Rod trade and if Hicks wants my ass in the seats in Arlington, he better damn well spend some of it to take the potential we have to the next level!!!

Think about our offense... Look at the numbers and runs we have accumulated... Now look at the runs we have allowed... We have been much better than previous years due to our bullpen, but with an ace and healthy 2-7 rotation guys, we would be a FORCE over the next several years...

If MLB teams aren't afraid of Texas, they better start to be...

Texiera - 24 years old
Blalock - 23 years old
Young - 27 years old
Soriano - 28 years old
Nix - 23 years old
Mench - 26 years old
Gonzalez - 22 years old
Laird - 24 years old

Every single guy except Soriano, (the most proven player and oldest of them all), had career years in the big leagues, (obviously Gonzalez and Laird had limited action, but still the best they have produced yet)... To think they wont get better based on their abilities and age would be ridiculous... Add in our youth and talent with some of our pitchers, (Dominguez, Young, Rodriguez, etc...), and you have one helluva franchise being built... If this team fails to win at least one championship within the next 5 years, I will be severly upset!!!

This is not a homer-based opinion, it simply is the truth... We are one of the most talented offenses in all of baseball and we have one of the best bullpens... We also have SEVERAL talented young pitchers that, IF THEY PAN OUT, will take this team deep into the playoffs year after year...

To say that I am excited about the future of my favorite baseball franchise would be an understatement at this point!!! I want the trophy and with this team's will and dedication, it WILL come to fruitition!!!
Old 10-01-2004, 09:34 PM   #37
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Just because I thought it was also worthy, here is our youth when discussing pitchers:

Dominguez - 24 years old
Drese - 28 years old
Lewis - 25 years old
Rodriguez - 26 years old
Young - 25 years old
Benoit - 27 years old
Francisco - 25 years old
Cordero - 29 years old

Then you have guys that may be ready in 06 such as:

Loe, Narron, Regilio, Diamond, Danks, etc...

We have a bright future, that much is certain!!!