Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-20-2002, 02:59 PM   #1
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Here is a list of big men being shopped at the trade deadline, who would you like and what do you think it would take to get them. Also please add to the list if I have forgotten anybody. Of course this is largely speculation.

Raef LaFrentz
Min....FG%.....Ft%.......Rb..........Bl........Ppg

Positives: nice range, shooting over 40% from three, a very good shot blocker.
Negatives: Probably not the rebounder we need, at least not yet, he is young
Cost: Expensive. It would take some nice players to land him.

Marc Jackson
Min....FG%......Ft%......Rb.......Bl.......Ppg

Positives: Potential, was a pretty good rebounder last year.
Negatives: Having an awful season. He and management are not seeing eye to eye.
Cost: Fairly Inexpensive. Cheaper than he has ever been

Danny Fortson
Min....Fg%......Ft%......Rb.......Bl........ppg
29.8 .417....794......4.3/12.4..18........11.8

Positives: One of the best rebounders in the league.
Negatives: Again there have been management issues in GS. Does not block shots
Cost: Expensive, I would imagine players of similar value to LaFrentz

Vin Baker
Min.....Fg%....Ft%....Rb......Bl.....Ppg

Positives: Pretty good scorer for a big man.
Negatives: Not the rebounder we need, weight has been an issue
Cost: Fairly Expensive. Seattle has been wanting to move him for some time, but they ar not willing to give him away. Don't think he is what the Mavs need.

Marcus Camby
Min.....Fg%.....Ft%.....Rb.....Bl.....Ppg

Positives: Good Rebounder, Good shot blocker. Will score his 10 a game, but does not demand the ball offensively. A quick enough big man to play within the Mavs system
Negatives: He is a China Doll, and has a big contract
Cost: Fairly Expensive. Would have to give a nice package in return.

Karl Malone
Min.....Fg%.....Ft%......rb.....bl.....Ppg

Positives: Hall of Famer, still has it at 38. Pretty good rebounder, and can score points.
Negatives: Though he appears fit one wonders when that body will start breaking down
Cost: Very Expensive. I think the Jazz would like to move him if they could. They would not take Howard for him. It would require Finley, and some young guys. Any team who could offer some young guys and draft picks I think would have the best shot to land him.

Jahidi White
Min.....Fg%....Ft%.....rb.....dl.....ppg

*****Rumor heard on bskball.news, probably the least substantiated of all possibilities posted.

Positives: Good rebounder, huge body
Negatives: Shot range is to about 4 feet.
Cost: Fairly Inexpensive if the Wiz really want to move him. I feel like he is an overlooked guy at the deadline if he is really available.

Olden Polynice
Min.....Fg%.....Ft%.....rb......bl......ppg 2000-20001 Season

****From article in Fort Worth Star Telegram
Positives: Good rebounder. Adds to our police force at no additional charge, just don't cut him off.
Negatives: He is probably washed up.
Cost: Very Inexpensive. He is a free agent so the Vet minimum would do.

Arvydas Sabonis
Min.....Fg%.....Ft%......rb......bl.....ppg 2000-2001 Season

Positives: Nice all around player. Good shooting range for a big guy. huge body
Negative: He is old, and likely not in basketball shape.
Cost: Very Inexpensive. Free agent.

threadkilla reminded me of a couple more:

Antonio McDyess
Min.....Fg%.......Ft%.....rb.....bl......ppg...200 0-2001 season

Positives: Super player. He would fit into what the Mavs do very well. Great rebounder, good shot blocker, pretty good shooter.
Negatives: He has been hurt all year
Cost: Very Expensive. In spite of his health, he had put of some nice numbers for about three year. Probably take Finley to do it.

Rasheed Wallace
Min....FG%......Ft%.....rb.......bl.....ppg

Positives: Good player, nice defender, good range on his shot for a big man. very athletic
Negative: Attitutde, what would he do to a team's chemistry
Cost: Very Expensive. As frustrated as the blazers are with Wallace they know what they are holding. It would take Finley to make that happen, maybe more.

Theo Ratliffe
Min.....Fg%.....Ft%.....rb......bl.......ppg 2000-2001 Season
Positives: Great shot blocker, good shooting percentage,decent set shot.
Negatives: Hurt, He has only played 3 games all season
Cost: Expensive. The Hawks seem to want to hold him, and build there team around him. Still a nice package could induce them to move him. would not take a Finley.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2002, 03:30 PM   #2
threadkilla

threadkilla is on a distinguished road

RealGM has a blurb about how Polynice has been emailing Cuban trying to get on the roster. He claims he will play for free and will be paid at the end of the season based on production. Sounds like what we need to set up for the stormin' mormon, pay based on production.

Anyway, Ratliff is also being shopped.

Alot of people seem to want Fortson. Fortson on the mavs would look about like Anthony Mason on the Bucks. Not a good fit. Give me the longer more athletic type of big guys who can run, block shots, and play DEFENSE. Wallace, Camby, McDyess, Ratliff, that is the type of player that will be successful on the mavericks. You could add a big Jahidi White type of guy as a 5, but only after we get the athletic power forward first.

Malone would also improve the team immensely for the next year or two, but it sounds like the price may be too high.

threadkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 04:01 PM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

This list makes the choice obvious:

STAND PAT

and wait for the off-season to upgrade the roster.

Not one of these guys moves the Mavericks one centimeter closer to challenging San Antonio, let alone Sacramento and Los Angeles. Factoring in what the Mavericks would likely have to give up to get them, the net result would be a downgrade.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 04:12 PM   #4
dolemite220

dolemite220 is on a distinguished road

I disagree! I think if the Wiz were shopping around Jahidi White we should do everything we can to pick him up. I is a banger and a BIG body.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:32 PM   #5
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

MavKiki, I have to disagree. These guys may not push the Mavs past the Lakers, but the goal is to improve. I think a lot of these players could improve the Mavs depending on what we have to give up. I think some of these guys could be had on the cheap.

Here is a quick list of who I would give up to get these players. On a lot of them I am not offering enough for the teams to bite. I also have run none of these deals by realgm for cap purposes. This is more of an exercise in personal valuations of players.

Raef LaFrentz: Bradley, Buckner, Najera, 2nd rounder, (Denver might accept)

M Jackson: Not interested

D Fortson: Hardaway, Buckner, Najera (Doubt GS would take that)

V Baker: Not interested

M Camby: Buckner, Bradley, Pick (Doubt NY would accept)

K Malone: Howard, 1st Rounder, Buckner or najera (Doubt Utah would accept)

J White: Buckner, or Bradley and 2nd rounder (they might if he really is in the doghouse with MJ)

O Polynice: Not interested but if he really wants to come in on some incentive laden contract then why not. I don't know if we could swing that type of contract under the cap or not.

Sabonis: I like him at the Minimum but it would never happen

McDyess: Willing to part with Finley ( Denver might accept that)

R Wallace: Howard, 2nd Rounder (Portland does not accept that)

T Ratliffe: Buckner, Bradley (Atlanta does not accept trade)

Old 02-20-2002, 04:43 PM   #6
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

What about Kevin Willis, who has been mentioned several times today on ESPN chat and other boards? Mavs may be looking to acquire Willis for a second rounder and either Wang, Najera, or Buckner.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 05:21 PM   #7
threadkilla

threadkilla is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't give up wang or najera for willis, but they can have buckner. i like him when he isn't hurting, but he is always injured.

Whether we upgrade now or in the summer isn't really the issue. The names on that list won't change. As is though, this team is a first round exit. Can you see this team beating Seattle, Portland, or Utah in a 5 game series? Last year we had Booth, and Bradley played some of the best ball I have ever seen him play. This year we have no Bradley and no Booth. I may be the only one that thinks this, but losing Booth was a big deal for this team. I also think Nellie would get more out of him the most other coaches. I firmly believe we are a quick first round exit waiting to happen unless we can get a decent defender/rebounder. It doesn't have to be a top tier player. Kevin Willis is a bad dude. We need that kind of attitude. I think we have an extremely talented but flawed team at this point. There are expectations for this team now, and as is we won't meet them.
threadkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 05:24 PM   #8
grbh
Platinum Member

I like Willis but I don't think I would give up Najera, or Wang for him. Buckner maybe i would have to think about it. He is averaging 6 pts, 6rb in 17 Min this year. he is a big body, but he is 39.

Old 02-20-2002, 05:35 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't I recently read somewhere where Willis was having back trouble? The guy is ancient by todays NBA standards. I wouldn't give up much if anything for him.

Doc
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 05:46 PM   #10
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

I do not see why we don't pick up Olden Plynice.
Yeah granted...the guy is mental but he does do one thing that
none of teh current Mavericks can seem to do.....REBOUND!!!!
Its a no lose situation. If he freeks out and they find him on 635 pulling over people for speeding..then o'well cut the guy.
But you have to admit that he is a better option then anybody else we have.

And we do not have to give up anybody to get this guy..he is willing to play for free from what I understand.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 05:53 PM   #11
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Polynice is a big piece of crap. The only thing he'd do for us is slow us down and force us to play a half court game. That is not a good thing for the Mavs. Changing your entire offensive philosophy to accomidate for Olden Polynice is ridiculous. I don't care how much better of a rebounder he is than Eschmeyer and Howard (he isn't better at all), it would make the team much worse than it already is...
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 06:07 PM   #12
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

What's the Mavs opposition to acquiring Oakley? I remember reading that they weren't interested in him, but don't recall seeing why.

He looks to be exactly what the team would need to close out the season.

Why no movement on the Oakley front?

Also, a trade for Oakley and BMiller would've made some sense too.
Old 02-20-2002, 06:15 PM   #13
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

On another board I had propsoed picking up Willis for Buckner and Manning. The reason for those two is that the salaries match under the cap. Willis is free after this year and so is Buck. That will be important to Houston, especially since Manning has one year left.

Of course, after the trade they could waive Manning and we could pick him up again to get him off their cap, I guess. In that case, you might give them a second rounder as part of the original deal with a wink.

This would give us a 3 headed center of Willis, Eschmeyer, and Bradley. Willis' age should not be a problem if they are all playing an average of 16 min. each and Bradley's contribution/defiencies would be maximized/minimized.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 06:31 PM   #14
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Looks like EE may be sitting for a couple of months...
Old 02-21-2002, 12:03 AM   #15
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Galloway finally writes something on the Mavs, basically along the lines of standing pat.

Galloway

But there are rumors out of NYC that the Knicks will be involved in a big deal with a Western Conference team.

And Vallade is hinting strongly in the DMN that something will happen with the Mavs.

Howard? Camby?
Old 02-21-2002, 12:05 AM   #16
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

There's been quite a bit of talk of a Dallas/NY/Denver three-way that would send Camby to Dallas. The guy's injuries are enough to make me shake my head at this deal.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote