Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-14-2005, 11:16 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs coach requests favor of RSVP

Mavs coach requests favor of RSVP
Coach needs head count for Game 4; casual play is no longer acceptable

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Coaches aren't paranoid. They know every referee is out to get them, for instance.

They also know they cannot escape nightmares about everything from officiating calls to injuries to a slew of other mind-jumbling concerns that rattle around in a coach's gray matter.

But few things cause more sleepless nights than the utter helplessness of not knowing what a player is going to bring to a game from game to game.

Avery Johnson is fighting this demon with pretty much his whole roster these days.

"It is a problem," Johnson said Saturday. "It's a comfort level with a coach when he knows what he's going to get. Whether Josh Howard is going to bring that kind of energy and tenacity or Jason [Terry] is going to be aggressive offensively or Dirk [Nowitzki] is going to play the type of defense we need or Damp [Erick Dampier] is not going to be in foul trouble.

"It would help coming into every game that I'm going to have a certain sort of consistency from our team."

That's a luxury Johnson hasn't had. The Mavericks have fallen behind 2-1 against the Phoenix Suns because they have not had reliable showings from any players. As he approaches tonight's Game 4 – one that rates as a must-have for the Mavericks – he has a locker room full of players who have been radically up and down already in this series.

That's why the pressure is on them. Lose and they would be down 3-1 and confronted with the daunting challenge of winning three in a row, including two in Phoenix, to extend their season.

"We are down," Johnson said. "Our backs are against the wall. We must win this game at home. So hopefully we'll respond."

The only way it will happen is if Johnson can rely on certain players to supply consistent production.

This is what Johnson has had to deal with in this series:

Dampier had 15 points and 12 rebounds in 27 minutes in Game 2, the meat in a sandwich that has moldy bread in the form of a combined four points and nine rebounds in 28 minutes in Games 1 and 3.

Michael Finley made 12 of 18 shots in Game 2, but only four of 14 in Game 3.

Howard mustered only two rebounds and 10 points in Game 2, but came back with six rebounds and 15 points and sharper defense in Game 3.

Nowitzki shot 50 percent in the first two games, then made eight of 24 in the third.

Terry shot 60.6 percent from 3-point range against Houston but is 1-of-9 against the Suns.

The list goes on for the Mavericks. Meanwhile, Suns coach Mike D'Antoni has gotten more trustworthy output from Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire and Steve Nash, their primary producers.

"We're a big part of the offense, so we all have to contribute," Terry said of the Mavericks' rotation players. "It's got to be a team effort. Each game is different. Each game takes on a life of its own. It's up to us to be aggressive and grab the moment."

But, as the Mavericks learned in the first round against Houston, it's not enough to play hard in the playoffs. Dependable execution is required as well. Finley, who said his only explanation was that he missed the same shots in Game 3 that had dropped in Game 2, suggested the Mavericks would be best served by an even keel.

"You try to stay the middle ground emotionally," he said. "You don't want to get too high or too low. When you do that, usually good things come from it."
Old 05-15-2005, 01:15 AM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mavs coach requests favor of RSVP

All this is is AJ passing blame. It's despicable. He is the one who preached: system, system, system.

Ball up, AJ. Accept some responsibility. Your guys are getting exposed because you aren't preparing them for what they are facing. You haven't the slightest clue what "system" will defeat this Suns team, and you are thus passing the blame to your players.

This is flat embarrassing.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 01:30 AM   #3
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default RE:Mavs coach requests favor of RSVP

I think people are coming down awfully hard on Avery at the moment.

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, this was a transitional year. It's just that no one wanted to say it. Instead, Avery was always harping about winning a championship. In the process, this team has overacheieved through injuries and a roster that isn't nearly as impressive as some fans like to believe it is.

The irnoy is that these expectations are placed on this team primarily because of what Avery did for them. But this is a flawed team - not tragically by any means. They can still win a championship even, but there are serious questions at almost every position. When it clicks, they look great. But it doesn't always click...and that's what has Avery worried.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 01:37 AM   #4
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Why doesn't it always click, DDH?
Old 05-15-2005, 01:53 AM   #5
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Truthfully? It may hurt...

It doesn't always click because Dirk doesn't have someone to get him easy buckets anymore. And it hurts that when he gets going, teams adjust and make his teammates beat them. Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't.

It doesn't always click because Jason Terry struggles to run this team. He hits big shots, and he can score, but he struggles to get everyone else involved. Furthermore, he struggles to keep them involved.

It doesn't always click because Michael Finley is probably the second best player on this team, but he's a streaky jump shooter. At times, he's on, and the Mavs look great. When the shot doesn't drop, he struggles to get in the lane ot get to the line and score. His defense and rebounding have improved though.

It doesn't always click because Josh Howard is a young player who is bound to be inconsistent, at times. Additionally, he gets saddled with foul trouble and gets taken out of his game by his emotions. His offense is streaky at the moment, and opposing teams don't respect him a ton on the perimter - making it easier to cheat towards the more established offensive players.

It doesn't always click because Erick Dampier is what he is. He's an inconsistent big man who gets himself into foul trouble. Sometimes, he's a presence, clogging up the lane. Sometimes, he's on the bench.

It doesn't always click because sometimes that shot just won't fall for Stack.

It doesn't click because Marquis has been in and out of the lineup all year with various problems. When he does play, he struggles to recognize what is a good shot or good pass, and he has defensive lapses.

It doesn't always click because Devin is a rookie and plays like it at times.

It doesn't always click because you never really know what you're going to get out of Shawn Bradley.

It doesn't always click because Alan Henderson is an aging, limited role player who, on most nights, is playing his best out of position against guys who are younger, faster, an stronger than he is.

It doesn't click because DA's best attribute is his heart, hustle, and desire. Those things don't make you difficult to guard though.

It doesn't click because Van Horn is brand new, and now out of the lineup.

It doesn't always click because this was sort of Nellie's team, but it's not anymore. They haven't had a full season with Avery and his system. This has all been on the fly.

And it doesn't always click because against these teams, things aren't going to always click. The Rockets and Suns are pretty good.

Again, as far as I'm concerned, Avery was telling the truth. I don't think he's trying to excuse his team or pass the proverbial buck. Instead, he's trying to find out exactly what he can do to help this team win this series.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:59 AM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Stackhouse can't finish at the rim, Dirk can't make shots, Finley can't miss one night and can't make anyting one night, Terry is on fire against Houston and 1 for 9 from behind the line against PXH...a number of reasons.

After game 1 in Phoenix Aver said "I did't have the team prepared to play...put his one on me"? Why would he pass the buck now...he's just trying to get the team to respond.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:09 AM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

DDH-- Stunning use of anaphora. Thanks very much. I enjoyed reading that post.

Your points were well taken. As were yours, D2K. But Dirno, Avery's falling upon the sword after Game One notwithstanding, don't you think it is out of sorts for a coach to call his players out in the press such as that?
Old 05-15-2005, 02:13 AM   #8
chumdawg
Guru

P.S. DDH, I believe you have neatly encapsulated this Mavericks team. I don't disagree with any of that, and it's the reason that when I am able to be realistic about things, I feel lucky that the Mavericks have made it this far--and I'd feel like a lottery winner if they make it even further. Nice team. Lot of fun, for someone who has followed them for a couple decades. But made of the stuff of champions? I hope so, but I'm not banking on it. The stars would have to align.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:23 AM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Your points were well taken. As were yours, D2K. But Dirno, Avery's falling upon the sword after Game One notwithstanding, don't you think it is out of sorts for a coach to call his players out in the press such as that?
Honestly I don't see anything wrong with what he said. Just talking about what he needs from his key players. Doesn't matter what I think though, all that matters is what the players think...if they think Avery is wrong from calling them out in the press, they'll quit on him by the All-Star break next season.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:37 AM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

Honestly, I tend to think that the psychological games are overblown, inasmuch as the press is concerned. Whatever quotes a reporter picks up probably pale in comparison to what is said behind closed doors.

But then again, I subscribe to the Bill Parcells theory of knocking the team down a few notches when the media is praising them and being their biggest apologist when things aren't going well. It's a little alarming to me that in the wake of this game Avery would talk about how frustrating it is to not know what he will get from his players. Even if doesn't call them out, it makes him appear a bit out of control.

Out of control is never a good thing, especially for the guy writing the game plan and responsible for getting the players ready for it.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:45 AM   #11
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

DDH-

That's one of the best posts I've read on here in a long, long time. You just raised the overall post-quality quotient on this board by a full quarter point. Thanks for taking the time to do that. All valid points. Don't find a single thing to disagree with. Except for maybe the part about Mantis---I think we all know what to expect by now.

So what's the issue with AJ's comments? They looked relatively mild when you look at what he actually said. Didn't sound so much like calling anybody out as CALLLING EVERYBODY UP. Everyone applauds Dirk for doing basically the same thing with Dampier. What the hell is AJ's job if not to get the best effort out of his team?

AJ has definitely overachieved with this group given the situation that he was thrust into when Nellie slouched off the court at the three-quarters mark. I would not have been at all surprised if the team had faded down the stretch. In fact they did much, much better than I was anticipating, and I really can't think of anywhere else to attribute that than to Johnson. I wasn't sure that he was up to the job, but so far, I think he's more than held his end of the deal up.

But the reality is that the Mavericks are a team in transition this year---transition of philosophy, transition of coach, transition of system, transition of personnel. Someone might try to argue that they've been transitioning personnel for the last several years, which is correct to a degree, but they were always transitioning complementary players (Howard, LaFrentz, Jamison, Walker) while keeping their core intact. This year they have changed the core--Terry for Nash, for better and worse. Finley, his performance in G2 notwithstanding, continues to move toward an elder statesman role with this team as opposed to core contributor. That leaves Dirk.

We all marveled at how Dirk, separated from Nash, had a breakout year. But it's pretty clear that he and JT have not yet had time to develop the sort of second-nature chemistry that Dirk had with Nash, and it may never happen. (The more I see Terry, the less convinced I am that he's going to be the Mavericks' PG of the future. At best, he might contribute something like NVE used to, or become a Vinny Johnson-lite.) But Dirk is clearly experiencing growing pains, and it's taken the playoffs to show this. He's taken a step up in terms of what he contributes defensively, and Avery should get the credit for that--for demanding it from the team and from the individuals. I hear a player like TMac thank JVG for making him a better all-around player, for making him develop other parts of his game, and I anticipate at some point next season, we'll hear the same thing from Dirk directed to AJ.

It came to me the other night that Dirk is starting to remind me of Elvin Hayes, who used to be an offensive force during the regular season, and would continue to put up big numbers in the playoffs. But the character of his game would change when he went up against players like Paul Silas, Dan Roundfield, Moses Malone, Lonnie Shelton/Jack Sikma in a playoff series, with teams focused on stopping him. He'd still get numbers (points/rebounds/blocks), but he was a much, much less-dependable threat, and was as likely to disappear in the critical point of a game than to make a clutch play. Opponents knew it, were confident that that they could neutralize him and reduce him to a complementary player. When the Bullets ultimately won a championship, it was because Bob Dandridge and/or Wes Unseld came through with hugely clutch performances.

Unless Dirk has plateaued as an offensive player, then he's going to have to find a way to create more for himself--he's not going to always be able to rely on having one of the best two or three offensive PGs playing alongside him. I think this is the big thing to keep an eye on with him next season. Sure AJ and the coaches should design some new sets and some things to help him get better shots, but ultimately it's going to come down to Dirk's own ability. Will he be able to elevate his game and score with defenses stacked against him? Or when he becomes the focus of the defense, will he have to become a complementary contributor, dependent on his teammates to carry the load.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 10:34 AM   #12
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I do not see any single player in the nba that can win by himself,none.. We marvel at the nash/stuntedmire, mcgrady/yao pick and roll. The mavs don't even run a pick and roll anymore except between damp and jason...

The point guard play is the biggest culprit here imo. Everything get's magnified becuase there is no bread and butter play to hang your hat on. As AJ said the best one they have is to give it to dirk and let him do something man on man with the rest of the other team trying to stop him. IMO he's also been affected by the every possession counts mentatility of AJ and his natural tendency to grind it in the half court. In the past as some have mentioned if Dirk got the switch on Amare he'd shoot it no matter where he was. Now I'm not so sure what he's expected to do, I know I want him to let it fly, he's still the most consistent (except for jason) of anyone out there.

I'm dissappointed that even though terry might not be able to run an effective pick and roll we at least are not trying to use it to get to favorable switches.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 11:34 AM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Finley from the FWST today:

"When we trust each other offensively, we're a better team," said Finley, who was just 4-of-14 shooting Friday after going 12-of-18 in Game 2. "By that I mean when you're getting double teams, and you're willing to make that extra pass, that may lead to another pass, and then we're a tough team to beat. But, sometimes when we get bogged down in [isolation] situations, whether it's myself, J.T. or Dirk, then we're more of a defendable team, and that's not playing to our strength."

Finley from the DMN last night:

Michael Finley suggested little things, like pressuring Phoenix point guard Steve Nash full court from the opening tap.

"Maybe you won't see the difference that it makes in the first quarter but in the fourth quarter," Finley said. "We just need to do some of the things that make our depth a factor."

It's nice to see Fin pointing these things out but I'd feel better if it was the coach stressing them instead.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:52 AM   #14
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

This is one of the best threads I've ever seen on here. Compliements to everyone.

Lets not forget that before this season started, this team looked like it was headed for trouble. Only 5 players returning who knew the system, and no point guard who knew it. A center we all knew would be inconsistant. At the helm, JT, who had yet to prove he could pass effectively, and a rookie who had yet to prove he could dribble and chew gum simultaneously. They overacheived coming out of the gate, and since then, many of us had our expectations raised to the pre-Antoinne level.

Seriously, who expected, at season's beginning, this team to make it to the 3rd round?It was a rebuilding year.

Then they played an entire season with at least 1 key contributor wounded. And o yeah, a new coach.

Its easy to look at Phoenix and say, "they jelled in the same amount of time". But they really only added 2 players, one of them the most intellegent point guard in the league, brought into a system very similar to Dallas, with better atheletes. And he only had to learn to play with six guys. Our points, and team, struggles, because it gets effective minutes from all 12.

I'm not ready to say this season is over. If the Mavs play up to their ability, they can play until June. But if they have, so far, exceeded reasonable expectations. If Cubes can show enough patience to give them another year to jell, and learn to play that tough D consistantly enough to overcome bad shooting nights like game 3, then maybe the sky is the limit. Especially if we get some help from Mbenga-who is athletic enough to challenge Amare, and strong enough to push Yao out of his comfort zone.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:20 PM   #15
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally posted by: G-Man
This is one of the best threads I've ever seen on here. Compliements to everyone.
Agreed.

Although the analysis of the respective players and circumstances are very good, and probably a good help from the RSVP, I'd like to take chumdawg's first post as my own point of view, in an effort to deal with so many variables involved in the latter posts.

"Your guys are getting exposed because you aren't preparing them for what they are facing. You haven't the slightest clue what "system" will defeat this Suns team...", just shows and reminds us the rookie condition of the General, because the game has to flow towards the final result pictured in the mind of the headcoach.

Coaches have to think in terms of averages, cause nobody can control the up's and down's of every element, players and circumstances.

Edit: Of course it doesn't mean that every player is not accountable for performing his role at his average at least, following or overturning some or all of the guidelines or holes exposed above in the posts.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:29 PM   #16
ddh33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
DDH-

That's one of the best posts I've read on here in a long, long time. You just raised the overall post-quality quotient on this board by a full quarter point. Thanks for taking the time to do that. All valid points. Don't find a single thing to disagree with. Except for maybe the part about Mantis---I think we all know what to expect by now.

So what's the issue with AJ's comments? They looked relatively mild when you look at what he actually said. Didn't sound so much like calling anybody out as CALLLING EVERYBODY UP. Everyone applauds Dirk for doing basically the same thing with Dampier. What the hell is AJ's job if not to get the best effort out of his team?

AJ has definitely overachieved with this group given the situation that he was thrust into when Nellie slouched off the court at the three-quarters mark. I would not have been at all surprised if the team had faded down the stretch. In fact they did much, much better than I was anticipating, and I really can't think of anywhere else to attribute that than to Johnson. I wasn't sure that he was up to the job, but so far, I think he's more than held his end of the deal up.

But the reality is that the Mavericks are a team in transition this year---transition of philosophy, transition of coach, transition of system, transition of personnel. Someone might try to argue that they've been transitioning personnel for the last several years, which is correct to a degree, but they were always transitioning complementary players (Howard, LaFrentz, Jamison, Walker) while keeping their core intact. This year they have changed the core--Terry for Nash, for better and worse. Finley, his performance in G2 notwithstanding, continues to move toward an elder statesman role with this team as opposed to core contributor. That leaves Dirk.

We all marveled at how Dirk, separated from Nash, had a breakout year. But it's pretty clear that he and JT have not yet had time to develop the sort of second-nature chemistry that Dirk had with Nash, and it may never happen. (The more I see Terry, the less convinced I am that he's going to be the Mavericks' PG of the future. At best, he might contribute something like NVE used to, or become a Vinny Johnson-lite.) But Dirk is clearly experiencing growing pains, and it's taken the playoffs to show this. He's taken a step up in terms of what he contributes defensively, and Avery should get the credit for that--for demanding it from the team and from the individuals. I hear a player like TMac thank JVG for making him a better all-around player, for making him develop other parts of his game, and I anticipate at some point next season, we'll hear the same thing from Dirk directed to AJ.

It came to me the other night that Dirk is starting to remind me of Elvin Hayes, who used to be an offensive force during the regular season, and would continue to put up big numbers in the playoffs. But the character of his game would change when he went up against players like Paul Silas, Dan Roundfield, Moses Malone, Lonnie Shelton/Jack Sikma in a playoff series, with teams focused on stopping him. He'd still get numbers (points/rebounds/blocks), but he was a much, much less-dependable threat, and was as likely to disappear in the critical point of a game than to make a clutch play. Opponents knew it, were confident that that they could neutralize him and reduce him to a complementary player. When the Bullets ultimately won a championship, it was because Bob Dandridge and/or Wes Unseld came through with hugely clutch performances.

Unless Dirk has plateaued as an offensive player, then he's going to have to find a way to create more for himself--he's not going to always be able to rely on having one of the best two or three offensive PGs playing alongside him. I think this is the big thing to keep an eye on with him next season. Sure AJ and the coaches should design some new sets and some things to help him get better shots, but ultimately it's going to come down to Dirk's own ability. Will he be able to elevate his game and score with defenses stacked against him? Or when he becomes the focus of the defense, will he have to become a complementary contributor, dependent on his teammates to carry the load.
Great post. I think you've brought up something that most Mavs fans are scared to think about. I think it's important to think about it though.

My biggest fear with Dirk has always been his ability to create his own shot. This season, he answered many of those questions. Now, in the playoffs, when teams know your plays and individual moves as well as you do, it gets much more difficult. This is the time when individual greatness takes over...

That individual greatness is why I always knew the the Bulls would beat the Jazz (or whoever else). Because when everything went wrong, Jordan or Pippen would just do something on their own that no one else could match. It's the same reason Hakeem won. You just couldn't stop the guy. It's the same reason Shaq and Kobe won. On your best day, you couldn't keep Shaq from getting position, and you couldn't get the ball out of Kobe's hands enough to stop him.

The Mavs biggest problem, in my mind, is the lack of that true individual greatness. As good as Dirk is, he can't do the things that other players can do. He needs help from his teammates more than other "superstars". Part of that is also due to his height. Big guys always have a need for their teammates help. Shaq needs a Wade, Kobe, or Penny player. He needs shooters. Duncan looks a whole lot better with guys who can hit open shots or create for themselves...

When Dirk is at his best, his teammates are usually helping him to that point. They are hitting their shots and forcing teams to adjust to them. That gives Dirk room to operate and a chance to get more of the shots he wants. Right now, he doesn't always have enough help.

The big question is, will he ever have enough help?

I think Mavs fans need to be hoping that Terry becomes more of a pointguard to help, or that Devin Harris really develops. They are the biggest and best hopes. They provide a hope that Dirk won't have to work as hard for what he gets, and they provide that hope that they can effectively do it themselves when needed.

Truth is, many of the players that are here right now are limited in one way or another - Dirk included.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:07 PM   #17
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't quite understand why you think that dirk needs "more" help than most superstars? Who are the superstars who has less help than dirk right now. As you mentioned:

Shaq-Wade
McGrady-Yao
Nash-Stuntedmare-Marion
Duncan-Ginobbli-Parker-Horry
Dirk-(??)--Fin/Josh/Stack/?? (not an all-star in the bunch)
Garnett-(??) Out of the playoffs..
Kobe-(??) Out of the playoffs..
Lebron/Iggy - Out of the playoffs..

I hope the mavs have enough pieces but they are young and inconsistent, unfortunately the old guy fin has also become inconsistent. So it's a tough year for dirk. Devin/Jason and Josh to me are the guys who have to step up. Josh in particular can be dirk's "pippen" if he gets his shot more consistent.

My biggest bitch about this whole nash thing was that cubes again took a chance that he didn't have to. He could have had that person on the team now and we are sure as hell seeing what nash can do for a team NOW, not later. We sure wouldn't be playing the suns right now if nash were still here.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:44 PM   #18
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

F'em! As of today, there's no remorse, as the KILLER will enter the series! See hapless Arizonians wade in their own blood! What was that? A bird? A plane? Superman? No, it was Air Van Horn opening the good old can of whoop ass as he flew by on our way to glory!
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 06:15 PM   #19
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

AJ seems to be in a conceding mode already. This team with all it's overt & covert finger-pointing, doesn't resemble the one that went to Houston down 0-2. I hope they keep their confidence up as we're only down 2-1.

If we play positive, we should win tonight.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 11:27 PM   #20
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Props to Avery, he read the third game very well -and/or this thread- and coached a very good 4th game.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:54 AM   #21
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
I don't quite understand why you think that dirk needs "more" help than most superstars? Who are the superstars who has less help than dirk right now. As you mentioned:

Shaq-Wade
McGrady-Yao
Nash-Stuntedmare-Marion
Duncan-Ginobbli-Parker-Horry
Dirk-(??)--Fin/Josh/Stack/?? (not an all-star in the bunch)
Garnett-(??) Out of the playoffs..
Kobe-(??) Out of the playoffs..
Lebron/Iggy - Out of the playoffs..

I hope the mavs have enough pieces but they are young and inconsistent, unfortunately the old guy fin has also become inconsistent. So it's a tough year for dirk. Devin/Jason and Josh to me are the guys who have to step up. Josh in particular can be dirk's "pippen" if he gets his shot more consistent.
Well said, Dude. Every star, from Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and Larry Bird, to Kobe, KG, Shaq, and Lebron, need as much help from their teammates to be successful. I don't think Dirk is any different than any other star in that respect. He needs to become a better post player, so he can abuse smaller defenders, that's all. I certainly don't think it his struggles offensively have anything to do with lack of "individual greatness" Josh is definitely a future All-Star IMO, but I think you can also add Marquis to that list of guys who need to step up. As Fin gets older and older, someone is going to have to fill the role that he used to play on this team. Marquis I think has the potential to be that guy. He's a great slasher, a very good defender, and a much better passer than Fin ever was. The only thing that holds him back is his inability to consistently hit the outside shot. If he becomes a consistent shooter, then he'll be the perfect Joe Johnson, Ginobili, or young Finley-type player that we need. However, if he can't master that shot, then we'll have get someone from outside to fill that role, because I simply don't believe we can truly be champions without that guy in our starting lineup.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:54 AM   #22
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, double post.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:01 AM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

What Dirk needs is for his All-Star capable players to find their role and play at that level consistently. That comes with time as this young team grows and meshes together. This team went through alot of changes this season. It's a bit amazing that they've even made it this far. But you can definitely see the amazing potential for this group. Dirk also needs to hit some of his damn shots. That'd help everyone out.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:30 AM   #24
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: ddh33
, this team has overacheieved through injuries and a roster that isn't nearly as impressive as some fans like to believe it is.
I agree that the team, and AJ for that matter, have overachieved, but I don't see your logic that this roster isn't as impressive as everyone thinks it is. In fact, I think the only team with a more impressive roster is San Antonio. As far as I can see, the only true weakness in the team's roster is the lack of a true point guard. Finley's inconsistancy hurts us, but I think, at least for the time being, Stack's, Josh's, Quis' and Devin's ability to slash compensates. And don't even talk to me about Damp, because outside of maybe a handful of others (Shaq, Amare, Yao, Wallace, Camby etc...) pretty much all centers in the NBA are nothing to be impressed about. We don't have anyone to match up against Amare, but there's nobody else in the league remotely like him, so outside of this series, it doesn't matter. Other than the lack of a pure point, and possibly a consistent backup 5 (although I thought Bradley was solid in the regular season) this team has everything a basketball team should have.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:15 AM   #25
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

This team has not overachieved. In fact, it is somewhat underachieving. Say what you will, but Fin, KVH, Stack, Bradley have been all-stars. Dirk is one. Terry has played like one when in Atlanta, Howard and Daniels have shown flashes. Harris seems like a future all-star. Damp says he is.

No this team has the players, has the balance, has the outside shooting, the ability to drive, the ability to bang, the ability to run half court, and the ability to get out and run. It has a very passionate coach. Yes, it could upgrade, but so can every team out there. Yes, it could use some time/chemistry. Yes, it could use some luck, and some respect.

I do not believe though, that this team is not a title contender. Yes, they need Benga to develop. Yes they need Harris to develop into a true point guard. Yes, they need the injuries to heal. But, this team is the deepest, and has the best ability to play any style, than any team in the league, IMO. Don't expect less because you think you might be considered a homer, if you think they should do more.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:45 PM   #26
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
All this is is AJ passing blame. It's despicable. He is the one who preached: system, system, system.

Ball up, AJ. Accept some responsibility. Your guys are getting exposed because you aren't preparing them for what they are facing. You haven't the slightest clue what "system" will defeat this Suns team, and you are thus passing the blame to your players.

It took him a few games but after last night I'd say he made the proper adjustments.
What's your take on the situation now?
Old 05-16-2005, 01:47 PM   #27
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, this was a transitional year. It's just that no one wanted to say it. Instead, Avery was always harping about winning a championship. In the process, this team has overacheieved through injuries and a roster that isn't nearly as impressive as some fans like to believe it is.

The irnoy is that these expectations are placed on this team primarily because of what Avery did for them. But this is a flawed team - not tragically by any means. They can still win a championship even, but there are serious questions at almost every position. When it clicks, they look great. But it doesn't always click...and that's what has Avery worried.

Past tense, is the season overby your estimation?

Yes this team is flawed, but every team has its flaws. Even the Suns?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:10 PM   #28
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: greensborohill
Quote:

It took him a few games but after last night I'd say he made the proper adjustments.
What's your take on the situation now?
My take is that AJ ought to stick with what is working, else the players come out in the press and bemoan that they never know what they are going to get from the coaching staff.

Old 05-16-2005, 04:00 PM   #29
ddh33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: greensborohill
Quote:

Past tense, is the season overby your estimation?

Yes this team is flawed, but every team has its flaws. Even the Suns?
No, I don't believe this season is over. I was one of the ones on the bandwagon even after the Mavs fell behind. They are winning this thing until it's proven otherwise to me...

And I agree with you about every team having flaws. Our Mavs, as well as all of the other contenders have weaknesses that can be exploited on any given night. It's one of the reasons why I still think the Mavs can keep pressing on despite their flaws.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:13 PM   #30
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Young team = inconsistency.

This is a young Mavs team, but it's one thing for your young guys to be inconsistent, the Mavs problem is that their supposed veterans like Dirk, Stackhouse and Finley are the ones who are most inconsistent.

Like some here, I didn't think this would be their year to make a run, so their success in the playoffs has been a treat.

Having said that, I agree with Avery's apporoach of "why not this year". They may not be ready to win it all this year, but don't tell the players that, just let them play inconsistently and all. This team is learning to be a champion every step of the way, and if it doesn't happen this year, then they can use what they've learned to make another run at it next year. Hopefully with less inconsistently as this year has shown so far.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:18 AM   #31
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

As much as like Jet, the lack of a true point guard is the only thing that's hurting this team. 39% against the Suns defense??!!!! Cripes! They can't even run the pick and roll, which is their best player's bread and butter.

Devan, Terry, Dirk and KVH need to spend the whole summer together working on it.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote