Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-07-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of
Default Length of NBA playoffs

I've been pondering the position of the NBA and decided (actually decided it a long time ago) that the post season is just too long.

I think one reason they nowhere near the status of the NFL is that games just don't mean very much. It's difficult for network TV to pick a single game to carry in a series, and there are too many to carry them all.

Plus, I can't believe we are past the first week in June and the finals still havn't started yet! I think they lose the interest of NBA fans who's team's aren't in the final rounds because there are too many games. It also makes a barrier of entry to new fans. They don't know what games they should watch, and the don't want to watch them all.

I personally think they should go to 5 or even 3 games series.

It would be much more exciting and the NBA may become more prestigious in the process.

What do you all think? I personally was horrified when the changed the first series to 7 games from 5.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2005, 03:35 PM   #2
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Length of NBA playoffs

I wish they could find a way to stretch them to July...just before the start of training camp.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

NBA will never go to less games because of $$. That's the sole reason they went from 5 to 7 games in the 1st round. And quite frankly with the outrageous salaries NBA players are making I they can't afford to go backwards.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:09 PM   #4
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I actually agree with jacktruth. The postseason is way too long, and frankly, too many teams make the playoffs.

Old 06-07-2005, 07:54 PM   #5
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

i tend to agree with there being too many teams, first round 1 seed vs. 8 seed 4-0 sweeps arent very entertaining
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:17 PM   #6
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
NBA will never go to less games because of $$. That's the sole reason they went from 5 to 7 games in the 1st round. And quite frankly with the outrageous salaries NBA players are making I they can't afford to go backwards.
They'll get longer before they get shorter.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:19 PM   #7
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

just ask a Spurs or Pistons fan if the postseason is too long...

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:24 AM   #8
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

I would LOVE it if the division winners and one wildcard from each conference made the playoffs.

It would make the regular season SO exciting.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:03 AM   #9
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
I wish they could find a way to stretch them to July...just before the start of training camp.
no doubt. save me from getting my hopes dashed by the Rangers, yet again.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:21 AM   #10
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Length of NBA playoffs

I think the regular season is too long. I suggest every team plays every other just two times (1 home, 1 away). That should leave us at 58 games and then the players would be fresh and unfatigued (sic?) for the playoffs.

Note: I know it's not feasible due to history, records, etc. Just wishful thinking on my part. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:27 AM   #11
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Note: I know it's not feasible due to history, records, etc. Just wishful thinking on my part.
Money is the real reason that it's not feasible. Owners can't afford to lose revenue from games. Look for the NBA to extend the regular season before they shorten it.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:55 PM   #12
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of money...I guess the Suns took in about $5 million in revenues for that WCF series, right? Half Nash's contract, right there...
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:16 PM   #13
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Speaking of money...I guess the Suns took in about $5 million in revenues for that WCF series, right? Half Nash's contract, right there...
$5 million gross revenues or $5 million net revenues. Unless it's net, then the Suns wouldn't be able to spend that money on Nash's salary.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I thought teams profited at about a million per playoff game. Or maybe it's home playoff game. Not sure how it works. Maybe it's not net profit. I don't know, but I know it helps the bottom line.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:16 PM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that too...from my understanding it's net, but it only applies to home playoff games.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:45 AM   #16
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Assuming an average of 20,000 fans, that'd be about $50/fan to just gross $1m. Unless they include TV revenue, which I think is shared across the league, it could just be a gross of $1m/game. I don't see how they could get more than $1m/game if it's just tickets, merchandise, etc.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #17
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I hate it that they stretch the first round for two weeks or so. The mavericks only had what two days off until they went to Phoenix. Doesn't it serve the league better to have two rested teams in the second round.

I wish they went back to two divisions. The mavericks finished six games ahead of the Sonics and yet finished in the fourth spot. Chicago had a better record then the Celtics by two games yet finished in the fourth spot. The Wizards finished tied with the Celtics and yet ended in the fifth spot. If this was 2003-2003 The mavericks, bulls, wizards would have been rewarded for having a strong regular season. Instead they might as well finishthe regular season two weeks earlier.

What a difference it would have made playing Sacramento in round one. Oh well !

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote