Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-03-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nick Van Exel is free again.

Quote:
Blazers are first team to use rule for luxury tax relief

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Related Video:
Coach on leaving Seattle for Portland

PORTLAND, Ore. -- The Portland Trail Blazers on Wednesday waived veteran guards Nick Van Exel and Derek Anderson.

Anderson will be designated as the team's amnesty player under the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement, allowing the Blazers to release him and remove his almost $19 million contract from the team's salary cap for purposes of calculating the luxury tax.

The Blazers chose not to retain Van Exel for the last non-guaranteed year worth $12.8 million of his contract.

Van Exel averaged 10.7 points and 4.3 assists and made 39 starts for the Blazers last season before going on the injured list on March 12 with left knee pain. The 12-year veteran was acquired in a 2004 offseason trade that sent forward Dale Davis and guard Dan Dickau to Golden State.

Van Exel, 34, who has also played for the Los Angeles Lakers, Denver Nuggets and Dallas Mavericks, has averaged 15 points and 6.9 assists in 821 career games.

The Blazers will pay the final two years of Anderson's contract and he can sign with another team.

"Given the direction of the team and Derek's limited availability in recent years we felt this was the best solution for all parties. This move gives us additional cap flexibility and minutes for our younger players," Blazers general manager John Nash said in a statement.

The eight-year NBA veteran averaged 9.2 points three assists with 47 games with the Blazers last season but had a variety of injuries, including back spasms.

Anderson, 31, was acquired with Steve Kerr and a second-round draft pick from San Antonio in exchange for Steve Smith on July 25, 2001.

In his four seasons with Portland, Anderson averaged 12 points, 3.1 rebounds and 3.3 assists in 244 games.

Anderson, a big guard in the mode Phil Jackson has always preferred, is expected to draw interest from the Lakers as a potential backcourt partner to Kobe Bryant.

The Mavericks, Houston Rockets, San Antonio Spurs and Miami Heat are among the playoff contenders expected to pursue Van Exel, a former All-Star who has said in the past that he hopes to finish his career with a team in Texas -- and a team with title aspirations.
Do we want Nick-at-Night back?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:17 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Nick Van Exel available again.

Quote:
If he signs for the vet minimum sure. Otherwise no thanks.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:18 PM   #3
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Nick Van Exel available again.

I personally think Nick would be great as the #3 PG on this team. Just his attitude would help massively. Just don't overpay in length or $$$.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:24 PM   #4
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Let's be honest. Wouldn't NVE be our best point guard?
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:25 PM   #5
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

he would make the moving of jet or devin to boston easier to swallow =P

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:45 PM   #6
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

we need a little F'em in the clubhouse...

yes, for the vets and the youngsters. yes.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:00 PM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Quote:
If he signs for the vet minimum sure. Otherwise no thanks.
I agree. Don't think we can depend on NVE to give us anywhere close to 80 games anymore, but he'd be a nice 3rd PG who could give us some good quality play for a few games at a stretch.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:08 PM   #8
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

If we can divide up the MLE for Hunter and NVE, I'll be all happy. Backourt of NVE and Terry will make us "clutch city squared".
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:11 PM   #9
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Nick probably starts in Houston if he signs there...He would be a monster with this clutch shooting in Houston.

If Dallas can offering him the starting gig, I bet he'd sign on in an instant. Slide Terry over to the 2.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:22 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

F'em!

Bring back Nick Van Badass!!!!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:23 PM   #11
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: rakesh.s
Slide Terry over to the 2.
Everyone seems to want this. I personally think that's a sure way to allow the opposing team's SG to dominate in the post.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:25 PM   #12
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson
Quote:
Originally posted by: rakesh.s
Slide Terry over to the 2.
Everyone seems to want this. I personally think that's a sure way to allow the opposing team's SG to dominate in the post.
Josh Howard.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:27 PM   #13
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:30 PM   #14
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

Only sign him if we are sure that we can also sign a backup bigman (steven hunter). I wouldnt mind having him around because he can play some minutes at the 1 and 2 spots, and provide some much-needed shooting. If we can get him to sign for the minimum or get a center to split the MLE with him, I am all for it.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:25 PM   #15
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Old 08-03-2005, 10:32 PM   #16
Movie Phone

Movie Phone will become famous soon enough

madape, chill out. if this is a basketball board, then you should know to control your language as well.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:57 PM   #17
madape
Diamond Member

Hey, I realize that profanity offends people, and to those people I apologize. But there's just so much a guy can take. I'm getting sick and damn tired of these unprovoked personal attacks. I visit this site because I like to b.s. about basketball. It's not much fun to do that when a punk like Alby acts like a damn child and calls you names every five posts. I imagine it's not much fun for others to read it either.

I'll tell you this, if someone talked like that my face, I'd be tempted to knock his damn head off. And anyone who was in the vicinity would get more than an earfull of bad language.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:12 AM   #18
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

I would take NVE over DA for the vet min.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:58 AM   #19
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Hey, I realize that profanity offends people, and to those people I apologize. But there's just so much a guy can take. I'm getting sick and damn tired of these unprovoked personal attacks. I visit this site because I like to b.s. about basketball. It's not much fun to do that when a punk like Alby acts like a damn child and calls you names every five posts. I imagine it's not much fun for others to read it either.

I'll tell you this, if someone talked like that my face, I'd be tempted to knock his damn head off. And anyone who was in the vicinity would get more than an earfull of bad language.
I'm with Madape on this one. Too many times on this board has someone been completely rude and disrespectful to me, only to have one of the mods tell me to "knock it off" after I retaliated. Everyone should have the right to defend themselves and keep their dignity. Ape, if some jerk calls you a name, tell'em what's what. I will too.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:57 AM   #20
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I'd prefer DA to NVE. NVE is just an older, more-injured version of Terry, with a worse attitude.

NVE was a Nelie-type player.

DA is more of what AJ's trying to instill.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:29 PM   #21
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Everyone should have the right to defend themselves and keep their dignity.
I'm not commenting on whatever ape said in this particular thread, because I didn't see what he said, but I'm not sure how cussing somebody shows any dignity at all. That sounds like a bunch of machismo B.S. to me.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:49 PM   #22
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Josh Howard.
. . .can't cover everybody on the court.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:59 PM   #23
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I bet we could pick Nick up if we wanted him. Only thing is he might want a little more than 1.1million after his last contract (different if vet minimum changes from last CBA)
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote