Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-25-2005, 09:45 AM   #1
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pinto to Clips

This been posted anywhere?

Per Bob's Blog..

The Los Angeles Clippers today announced that veteran NBA broadcaster Matt Pinto has been named the team's new radio play-by-play voice on the team's flagship station, KTLK 1150 AM, for all televised games. In the situation that a game is not televised on either FSN West 2 or KTLA, "The Voice of the Clippers" Ralph Lawler and former Clipper Michael Smith will shift over to radio to handle the play-by-play and analyst duties respectively.

Glory Be.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2005, 09:46 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Pinto to Clips

You have got to be kidding me. This has indeed been a successful offseason for the Mavs. This obviously negates the loss of Finley.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:50 AM   #3
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
You have got to be kidding me. This has indeed been a successful offseason for the Mavs. This obviously negates the loss of Finley.
No kidding.

Anoyone in particular you guys would like to see on TV? I'd prefer Followill myself.

Also, don't forget, if Ro's being given an official assistant job, he's no longer on the broadcast either. What a turn of events.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 08-25-2005, 09:55 AM   #4
watcher

watcher is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Pinto to Clips

Brad Davis
watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough

edit: double post
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:09 AM   #6
Joey

Do you think Razor Ray from the Stars broadcasting would go for it? Or Dale Hanson? Then there is the long shot...Michael Jordan and Shawn Bradley!
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Old 08-25-2005, 10:10 AM   #7
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

I actually like Pinto. We could do worse. I hope Folowill gets it.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:12 AM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Followill to TV; I assume they'll give the radio gig to the abrasive Cooperstein.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:19 AM   #9
GoMavsGo

GoMavsGo is on a distinguished road

mark followill will be the shit! now im ultra totally looking foward to the season! WooOoOoOoOooo!
GoMavsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:32 AM   #10
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I dig me some Followill, but this might change my idea of listening to the radio broadcast at games, which I was toying with this year. I'm not sure about Coop. Bring back Ted Davis!!!

Definitely an upgrade on the TV side if Mark goes there, or even if he doesn't.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:35 AM   #11
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Ted Davis would be great to bring back as radio guy or as TV guy.

Pinto wasn't as bad as some claim, but he wasn't very good, either.

I hear Cooperstein does a good job with play-by-play. Perhaps he doesn't have time to be an ass, what with the speed of the game and all.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:01 AM   #12
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

The Higher Authority does a great job at play by play from what I hear. And if Followill doesn't get the TV job I will be disappointed.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:04 AM   #13
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

give me jim durham.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:13 AM   #14
TomThaMavsFan

TomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enoughTomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enough

where are all the CHA CHING! THE MAVERICKS MONEY BALL! gonna come from? i use to like that for some reason .
TomThaMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:15 AM   #15
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I'd love to get Durham back.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:41 AM   #16
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Durham's moved on to bigger and better things, but I agree, he was great.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-25-2005, 11:42 AM   #17
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

i've heard coop do radio play-by-play of ncaa tourney games and he is very, very good.

wouldn't mind bringing ted davis back to do radio.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:54 AM   #18
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I would trade all the media staff for the Mavericks for an all-star like Ralph Lawler. Pinto is the Denver Nuggets of announcers while Lawler is the Spurs-- always a level above everyone else.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:06 PM   #19
TomThaMavsFan

TomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enoughTomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enough

maybe they can get that guy from the telemundo soccer games that says GOOOOAAAAL , but Mark Followill will do great
Old 08-25-2005, 12:20 PM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: TomThaMavsFan
maybe they can get that guy from the telemundo soccer games that says GOOOOAAAAL , but Mark Followill will do great
only problem is that in the NBA there is a 24 second shot clock, so many times the other team would score by the time the announcer finished announcing our fieldgoal.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:44 PM   #21
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

this seems like a step backwards. from tv to radio. did he get fired?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:44 PM   #22
Razor

Razor is on a distinguished road

CHA CHING!!! Best move of the offseason! I wonder if Matt will take his "Money Balls" with him???
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:19 PM   #23
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: jthig32
Durham's moved on to bigger and better things, but I agree, he was great.
The Mavs could not offer him enough to make it worth his while...
Old 08-25-2005, 01:28 PM   #24
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: snoop
this seems like a step backwards. from tv to radio. did he get fired?
Nope, he wasn't fired. Radio in a market like LA is a step up from TV in Dallas.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:58 PM   #25
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

How about making the job the grand prize for "Homer Call of the Week?"
Old 08-25-2005, 02:43 PM   #26
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Hubert Davis would be nice.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:17 PM   #27
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Durham's "He's got it stuck on automatic!" was nice.

I like Followell.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:06 PM   #28
Joey

Quote:
Originally posted by: Razor
CHA CHING!!! Best move of the offseason! I wonder if Matt will take his "Money Balls" with him???
It was the "money balls" offered by LA that got him there...Now he's rolling in "Money Balls"...He can play with his "money balls" now...

I could go all day with this one!
Old 08-25-2005, 09:08 PM   #29
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

this is an upgrade btw mmmpeanuts where did you get that sig at it is awesome
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:04 PM   #30
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

bob and dan were talking like he was on the way out one way or another....but it was primarily speculation I believe....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:23 AM   #31
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Wow, this was a poorly kept secret I guess. Half the board had this pegged.

Mavs broadcast shakeup

The Mavericks plan to announce today that radio play-by-play man Mark Followill is moving to the television team, replacing Matt Pinto, a source said.

Pinto is leaving after accepting an opportunity to broadcast Clippers games.

The team also will announce that longtime Metroplex sports personality Chuck Cooperstein will replace Followill on Mavericks radio broadcasts on ESPN/103.3 FM.

I'm excited.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-26-2005, 12:09 PM   #32
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I still don't believe the guy is old enough to buy cigarettes, but from what I've heard on 103.3 (when Stern isnt blacking it out), he's quality.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:13 PM   #33
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I think he will be great.

And I also will highly value the ribbing he will most certainly get from his old compadre's on the Ticket for him having to wear a suit.

Good times.

edit: because higly is not a word.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:45 PM   #34
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

Quote:

Mavs broadcast shakeup

The Mavericks plan to announce today that radio play-by-play man Mark Followill is moving to the television team, replacing Matt Pinto, a source said.

The team also will announce that longtime Metroplex sports personality Chuck Cooperstein will replace Followill on Mavericks radio broadcasts on ESPN/103.3 FM.
Aww man, I really really enjoyed Followill. Online radio broadcasts are the only way for me to listen to NBA games, and I must say that most NBA announcers are terrible. They either have a bad radio voice or are just unable to get you excited in their report of the game. Followill and Davis were a great team. I also enjoy listening to Ted Davis, and from what I've heard in the past the Lakers announcement team is pretty good as well. I have never heard Chuck Cooperstein, but I hope he's good.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:15 PM   #35
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Mavs broadcast shakeup

I'm excited.
Well, it wasn't because it was leaked...just knew that if Pinto was out, the obvious choice was Followill.

Old 08-27-2005, 12:54 AM   #36
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

Good riddence to Pinto. He was awful. All that "colorful" commentary of his sucked. I liked Mark Followill as the radio voice. I don't get to hear enough of Cooperstien to make judgement. Oh, and Cha-ching Pinto dials long distance forever.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:54 AM   #37
TomThaMavsFan

i like the new broadcast crew, Followill has a good tv face, he's a great play by play guy. He's got alot of talent , probably the best move by the mavs this offseason. I like Coop, hope he does great at the radio side of things.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:36 AM   #38
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Pinto's wife missed the ocean breeze, among other tidbits:

Quote:
Cooperstein will call Mavs games

11:41 AM CDT on Saturday, August 27, 2005

It was the summer of 1997 when the Mavericks first contacted Chuck Cooperstein about the possibility of doing radio play-by-play.

Ted Davis, tired of calling all those listless losses in the nowhere '90s, was moving on to Milwaukee Bucks broadcasts.

Would Cooperstein, a radio sports talk fixture in Dallas, be interested?

Silly question. Of course he was.

There was a one giant problem, however. Cooperstein had just been hired by WBAP in the wake of his sudden dismissal at The Ticket. The Mavericks were property of KLIF.

"WBAP had just taken me off the scrapheap," Cooperstein said Friday. "I couldn't leave."

Instead, up-and-comer Matt Pinto from Charlotte got the Mavericks gig.

And so ended Cooperstein's dream of calling NBA play-by-play. Or so he thought. He hadn't given it any consideration again until he heard that Pinto, who had since moved on to Mavericks TV, wanted to head back to Southern California, where he has roots.

Pinto tried to get the Lakers' vacant radio job. That didn't work out. But earlier this week, the Clippers introduced Pinto as their new radio voice.

"It was a lifestyle decision on my part," said Pinto, whose children are off to college and whose wife longed for an ocean breeze.

With up-and-comer Mark Followill more than ready to slide from radio to TV, the replacement for Pinto was a no-brainer.

Turns out finding a replacement for Followill on ESPN Radio was simple, as well. The powers that be had to look no further than to Cooperstein, who shifted to ESPN when it was launched in 2001 from sister station WBAP.

Cooperstein, 46, hosted Mavericks Insider and Mavs Talk on ESPN for the last two seasons. He plans to continue hosting his SportsNight talk show as time permits.

On TV, rookie Followill will work with analyst Bob Ortegel, who is entering his 18th season on Mavericks TV. Cooperstein will be paired with Brad Davis, a seven-year radio veteran.

It all became official when the Mavericks announced the shuffle Friday.

In Cooperstein, Mavericks radio is getting a top-of-the-line play-by-play broadcaster. He's been calling college basketball for years. He's worked national broadcasts of the NCAA Tournament every year since 1991. His college football work isn't too shabby, either.

Cooperstein has called only one NBA game. He filled in for Jim Durham on a Mavericks-Spurs playoff game for ESPN's radio network back in 2001.

"I am as excited as I have ever been," Cooperstein said, "This is unbelievable. I've waited a long time for this."

Postscript: Cooperstein shot a par 72 Friday morning playing alongside his mother at the TPC at Craig Ranch in McKinney.

"This really is my week," he said.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:57 AM   #39
Murphy3
Guru

I still don't buy that it was a Pinto decision....I'm pretty sure that it was a Mavs decision that forced Pinto out West. But, I suppose they're allowing him to save a little face.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:06 AM   #40
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Mavs broadcast shakeup

I'm excited.

Well I'll give coop a chance, I've not really heard him call a game. I really don't expect to like it as his voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote