Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-13-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default Keith Van Horn...starter?

Any chance that Keith starts as the small forward this year?

If Josh started at the 2, that would give us a starting lineup of Jet, Josh, Keith, Dirk and Damp.

We would have 3 great 3 point shooters, 4 great rebounders, and tons of versatility.

In the case of a Marion or a McGrady, Keith would force the smaller defender to guard HIM in the post.

We could come off the bench with Devin at the 1, Quis at the 1 and 2, Stack at the 2 and 3, Doug at the 3 and 4 and Diop at the 5.

I have watched KVH all my life, from Utah to the Nets to the Sixers to the Knicks to the Mavs.

He is much maligned but the boy can play. He can board, he can score, he is an underrated defender.

I think he would do great as a starter on this team, and I think that he would be a much better fit as a starter than Stack.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2005, 08:23 PM   #2
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Keith Van Horn...starter?

I don't know that Josh is quick enough to guard 2's night in and night out.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:00 PM   #3
SiberianShaq

SiberianShaq is on a distinguished road

Doug at the 4?
SiberianShaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:02 PM   #4
SiberianShaq

SiberianShaq is on a distinguished road

Doug at the 4?
SiberianShaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:03 PM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Keith Van Horn...starter?

Josh will start at 3.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:31 PM   #6
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

I vote yes. Maybe not every game, but if the matchup is favorable..KVH and Dirk on the court at the same time must wreak terror into the heart of opponents. Though I can see some downside, I think it'd be fun to try it for a few games. why not? I can't think of a reason
Old 09-13-2005, 09:36 PM   #7
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

He is too slow to be an effective 3
Old 09-13-2005, 09:38 PM   #8
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Ninkobei
I vote yes. Maybe not every game, but if the matchup is favorable..KVH and Dirk on the court at the same time must wreak terror into the heart of opponents. Though I can see some downside, I think it'd be fun to try it for a few games. why not? I can't think of a reason
Avery is not a matchup coach. He wants a solid, established, undisputed starting lineup. Barring injuries of course, I think he's gonna start the same 5 guys every game. Of course, if the matchup is favorable, he'll heavily utilize the KVH/Dirk tandem, but I guarantee you the starting lineup is gonna be Terry/Christie or Stackhouse/Howard/Dirk/Damp for every game of the season, so long as they're all available.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 10:45 PM   #9
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

I, optimistically, think that they should try it out for a week or so. It would give opponent coaches something else to have to learn in the locker room, possibly taking away from their time studying our usual lineup. If we can find a way to exploit the clear height advantage every posession or if the on-court chemistry is simply amazing, I don't see how avery could refuse to use this lineup. I guess what I am 'really' argueing for is the lineup, not so much the starting 5. We all know that just because one starts the game doesn't mean one will finish it. I can see how this tandum could be a very potent end-game comeback crew.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:27 PM   #10
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The reason is you have Stack, Quis, and Christie on the bench. What was the point of even signing Christie if we do that?

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 11:31 PM   #11
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

Van horn does not have the perimter d to handle 3's. So with avery being a d first coach i find it unlikely. You might see it on nights where hte mavs match up aginst spot up shooters like peja or fin at the 3.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:18 AM   #12
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have a hard time finding anyone on this site that backs Keith more than me, but I don't like him in the starting lineup on this team. Josh needs to stay the starting SF, and if none of our three SG's deserves a start then we need to make a trade, not try to bring all of them off the bench just so that we can feature two guys playing out of position against the opponents' top lineups.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:54 PM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
You'll have a hard time finding anyone on this site that backs Keith more than me, but I don't like him in the starting lineup on this team. Josh needs to stay the starting SF, and if none of our three SG's deserves a start then we need to make a trade, not try to bring all of them off the bench just so that we can feature two guys playing out of position against the opponents' top lineups.
agreed. Keep Josh in as much as possible and play JT at two if Stack and Daniels can't cut it....KVB (remember that?) will (sadly) likely be the odd man out when the minutes are divied up...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:28 PM   #14
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know that he will/should be the odd man out. Granted, he has the pt misfortune of playing behind Dirk, but he's clearly the best backup option at the 4, seemed last year to be an excellent backup option for Damp, and could very well end up being the best backup option for Josh as well now that Fin's gone (and depending on how Doug can handle SF duties).
Old 09-14-2005, 03:46 PM   #15
Red-Phase

Red-Phase is on a distinguished road

thats stackhouses spot
Red-Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:36 PM   #16
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

0% Chance
Old 09-15-2005, 12:21 AM   #17
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

KVH will get 15-18 mins a game somehow, he is too good not to. He will play the 3,4, and some five against some teams. I think it is vital he plays because he is a great shooter and the best back up dirks ever had.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:13 AM   #18
cripple balls

cripple balls is on a distinguished road

this thread makes me want to die of aids
cripple balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: cripple balls
this thread makes me want to die of aids
In the great immortal words of one of our own......

"Just because you can post, doesn't mean you should post".
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote