Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 09-20-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts
Default Too bad it took a Hurricane before the public realized what kind a leader Bush is...

Katrina Raises Voters' Doubts About Bush By RON FOURNIER, AP Political Writer

WASHINGTON - Hurricane Katrina and the bungled government response have weakened President Bush, raising questions among Americans about his Iraq and flood-recovery plans and spreading fears among fellow Republicans about next year's elections.

An AP-Ipsos poll says nearly six in 10 people disapprove of Bush's job performance, unchanged from the record-low rating he had before last week's televised address from the heart of New Orleans.

That underscores why GOP leaders fear Bush could be a drag on GOP candidates in 2006.

Many in the poll also were concerned that Katrina and its aftermath would lead to a national economic downturn. Less than half approve of Bush's handling of Katrina. Less than a third give him good marks on gas prices.

The public seems to see a conflict among some of Bush's priorities a year before voters will choose a new House and one-third of the Senate.

Given a choice in the survey, 42 percent favored cutting spending on Iraq to pay for relief efforts on the Gulf Coast, and 29 percent wanted to delay or cancel Republican tax cuts. That's a whopping 71 percent backing options that Bush doesn't even have on the table.

Two-thirds said the president was spending too much in Iraq. Just as many were concerned the money was not being spent wisely.

The AP-Ipsos poll of 1,000 adults, conducted for three days after Bush's address to the nation last week, comes at a low point in his presidency.

A variety of polls suggest voters expected the president to act more quickly in the aftermath of Katrina. He's no longer considered a strong, decisive leader by many voters, a reversal from the 2004 presidential campaign when the wartime incumbent successfully cast himself in those terms.

"This is the most important intersection of his presidency," said former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, a Republican.

With nearly all Democrats and two-thirds of independents soured on his presidency, Bush needs to keep Republican voters happy to avoid a collapse of his ratings. More than eight in 10 Republicans back Bush, but GOP strategists worry about a decline in enthusiasm as the next year's midterm elections draw near.

For the first time, senior Republican consultants and lawmakers are warning the White House that Bush's base is perilously close to deserting him. The poll underscores their concerns: By an 8-point margin, voters are more likely to call themselves Democrats than Republicans; there was no gap in self-identification a year ago.

That may play into two presidential decisions that threaten to divide the GOP coalition: Bush's nomination to replace Justice Sandra Day O'Connor and his final plans for Katrina spending. Social conservatives are demanding an anti-abortion Supreme Court justice. Some Republicans want him to select a woman or minority, and perhaps avoid a bitter fight by selecting a relative moderate.

On Katrina funding, fiscal conservatives are insisting that Bush find spending cuts in programs such as Medicare to offset the massive costs. Judging by the AP-Ipsos survey and other polls, budget cuts would be risky.

Some GOP leaders like Gingrich are denouncing "panic appropriations" to government agencies that they say are proven failures. "If we go into the election year as the explainers and managers of failure, we're going to get hammered," said Gingrich, calling on Bush to produce bureaucratic reforms while rebuilding the Gulf Coast.

Though the president has not specified how he would pay for Gulf Coast recovery projects estimated at $200 billion and more, the public has little interest in two options put forward by the White House: cutting other government spending and adding to the $333 billion deficit.

Just 11 percent of respondents favored reductions to other domestic programs like education, welfare, transportation and health care. A slightly higher number, 14 percent, said they favored adding to government debt and gradually paying it back.

At the White House, spokesman Scott McClellan said: "The president is acting on the priorities that are most important to the American people, like meeting the needs of the people affected by Katrina, prevailing in the war on terrorism and addressing high gas prices."

AP-Ipsos asked half the respondents to rate eight issues in terms of their priorities. The economy and jobs were cited by 25 percent, an 11-point jump since late August.

When Katrina was added to the issues list, Gulf Coast recovery was the highest-rated category.

"I don't know where they're going to come up with this money they're talking about," said Jeanne Wright, 67, a Republican-leaning voter from Manchester, Conn.

Bush's best hope may be that Democrats miscalculate as they struggle to find a unified voice post-Katrina.

Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., gave a blistering critique of the president on Monday.

Another presidential prospect, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., has called for an independent commission to investigate the government's initial response.

Her husband, former President Clinton, dropped any veneer of impartiality Monday, criticizing the Bush administration while still helping the president and his father raise money for Katrina's victims.

The poll had a margin of potential sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Old 09-20-2005, 01:58 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Too bad it took a Hurricane before the public realized what kind of a leader Bush is...

President Bush's response was amazingly appropriate. As someone who has been on the ground in these areas, I can tell you firsthand that the response is/was great.

We can learn a lot fromthis process. Many things can be improved and improved greatly, but to portray Bush as anything outside of a great leader on this is inaccurate liberal drivel. I continue to be amazed at how Mayor Nagin and Governor whatshername get the free pass when they controlled the first 48 hours of the emergency effort.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Too bad it took a Hurricane before the public realized what kind of a leader Bush is...

Quote:
I continue to be amazed at how Mayor Nagin and Governor whatshername get the free pass when they controlled the first 48 hours of the emergency effort.
They're only getting a free pass from the media. The voters don't seem to be fooled.

Bush has kicked Democrats' a$$e$ so thoroughly, they finally appear to be overestimating his power. They actually think he should've been able to avert a Category 4/5 hurricane.

Now that's respect. Of a sort.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:29 PM   #4
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Too bad it took a Hurricane before the public realized what kind of a leader Bush is...

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Quote:
I continue to be amazed at how Mayor Nagin and Governor whatshername get the free pass when they controlled the first 48 hours of the emergency effort.
They're only getting a free pass from the media. The voters don't seem to be fooled.

Bush has kicked Democrats' a$$e$ so thoroughly, they finally appear to be overestimating his power. They actually think he should've been able to avert a Category 4/5 hurricane.

Now that's respect. Of a sort.
Or an act of total desperation.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

One POSITIVE thing for this country came out of this hurricane- "That underscores why GOP leaders fear Bush could be a drag on GOP candidates in 2006."

Get some of the right wing out of office is always a good thing for this country.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:43 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Default RE: Too bad it took a Hurricane before the public realized what kind of a leader Bush is...

*yawn*
Old 09-20-2005, 02:45 PM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I don't think the voters are quite as dumb as you think Reeds. I think they'd rather see a man of action who doesn't sit around for the whole crisis trying to find ways to blame the other party, and not a Mayor who panicked and left tens of thousands of poor stranded in a city due to his ineptitude. I think that voters would like a man who says the buck stops here and means it, not a governor that to afraid to lead and too stupid to follow. I think they'll vote for the party responsible for the largest response to a disaster in the history of this country and who saved thousands of lives endangered by the ineptitude, laziness, and corruption of local leaders. I don't think that they'll vote for a party who 1st sign of "action" in a crisis is start to look for ways to CYA and blame the other party.

Yes too bad it took a hurricane for some people to realize what a great and courageous leader Bush is. Especially as opposed to the Democratic party who if they had been in charge of the federal response as they were the local and state would likely have pushed the death toll into six figures. Thank goodness for a leader like Dubya who has the courage to say that the results aren't acceptable and then make the changes to where it is. Thank goodness for a leader who cares more about helping the citizens of this country and covering his own ass. Thank goodness for a President that is a patriotic American citizen 1st and a member of his political party 2nd.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:45 PM   #8
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Gov. Blanco did a mea culpa like Bush did. Her speech of 9/14:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. President, Mr. Speaker, members of the House and Senate, clergy members, commanding officers, honored guests .

Tonight I speak to the brave and resilient people of Louisiana: those of us thankful to be here at home, those in Louisiana shelters and those temporarily dispersed across the nation in shelters from Texas to Tennessee and in homes and hotels in faraway states.

I also speak for a grateful state to thank people across our nation -- and the globe - who have uplifted Louisiana in our time of need . people whose generosity and support renews our faith in God and the human spirit.

Nearly two weeks ago, Katrina tore across Southeast Louisiana leaving a path of physical destruction and human tragedy unprecedented in our nation´s history.

Tonight, foremost in our thoughts are the families who were literally ripped apart by the storm. Over the past few days, I have met brothers separated from sisters, mothers and fathers searching for children, and children who have seen things no child should have to witness.

As a mother, a sister, and a daughter, my heart goes out to every family. And we all know that family stretches beyond blood to embrace the neighborhoods and communities that form the fabric of our lives.

To the displaced people of St. Tammany, Washington, Tangipahoa, St. Charles, Orleans, Jefferson, St. Bernard and Plaquemines Parishes, your loss is our loss. As your Governor, I pledge that I will not rest until every Louisiana family and community is reunited.

The destruction is almost beyond comprehension:

. We have lost hundreds of our loved ones

. Entire communities have been destroyed

. Businesses, wiped off the map

. Families separated

. More than a million people displaced from their homes

But . even as we continue to recover from the worst natural disaster in our nation´s history, the people of Louisiana stand tall, and I am proud to stand with you.

We all know that there were failures at every level of government: state, federal and local.

At the state level, we must take a careful look at what went wrong and make sure it never happens again.

The buck stops here . and, as your governor, I take full responsibility.

Now, before I talk about the work ahead, I must offer thanks on behalf of a grateful state.

When I called on the people of Louisiana to respond, they rallied in overwhelming numbers. First responders and ordinary citizens put aside concerns for their own safety and demonstrated a heroic courage.

It is impossible to name every group involved, but tonight we have a few representatives with us: police officers, firefighters, doctors and nurses, member of the National Guard, Coast Guardsmen, helicopter pilots and wildlife agents.

These are our heroes . thank you

They were joined by an unprecedented brigade of ordinary citizens who drove a fleet of school buses we commandeered, steered hundreds of private boats down flooded streets and toiled without pause to rescue at least 70,000 people.

I want the world know what we know:

we are brave

we are resilient

we WILL prevail

And . there are the thousands who have come from across the nation: guardsmen and active-duty soldiers .

rescue workers and police officers . doctors and nurses .

Red Cross volunteers . and just plain folks driving to Louisiana in trucks laden with food, water and love.

And finally, I offer our profound thanks to all the people and communities around this country and the world who have opened your homes, your hospitals, your classrooms, your churches, your wallets and your hearts to our people.

So long as the Mississippi River flows to the sea, we will never forget your generosity.
----------------------------------------------------------------
the rest isn't of major import
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 05:26 PM   #9
LRB
Guru

Yeah, I'll give Blanco and Nagin for stepping up and taking some blame. But they didn't do it until after the immediate crisis was over, during which they were trying to point more fingers than they possessed. I guess later is better than never though.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:36 PM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

From AOL Poll:

How is Ray Nagin doing?

He chastised the president on the radio. He criticized his state's governor on TV. And he reopened part of New Orleans against the wishes of the federal government, only to reverse his decision with the threat of Hurricane Rita. Some see Mayor Ray Nagin as a bold leader, while others think he's in over his head. What do you think?

How would you rate Nagin's handling of the Katrina disaster?

Poor 67%
Good 12%
Fair 12%
Excellent 9%

Who's done a better job during the crisis?

President Bush 69%

Mayor Nagin 31%

Total Votes: 77,428
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:47 PM   #11
reeds
Golden Member

approval rating 40% ..nuff said...cant wait for the elections to begin...yehawwwwwww
Old 09-20-2005, 10:16 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Me too reeds....we will see the demise of Nagin, Blanco and the other dem failures. But don't worry, YOUR President, George W. Bush will have a vision and will support a qualified republican to make sure that life goes on and goes on in a better fashion. Your President is on the job reeds....he will take care of you despite your commitment to idiocy.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:33 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get stuck on stupid, Reeds! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

This is hilarious. Read to the bottom on the post where this guy talks about all of the people this would be applicables to.

don't get stuck on stupid

Don't get stuck on stupid

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin held a press conference a little bit ago, and started losing control to a media pool assembled that was showing signs of panic, due to the previous incompetence in the region by the local and state government. Lt. Gen. Russel Honore stepped in and literally took over. Here's what he had to say:

09-20honore.mp3

Honore: And Mr. Mayor, let's go back, because I can see right now, we're setting this up as he said, he said, we said. All right? We are not going to go, by order of the mayor and the governor, and open the convention center for people to come in. There are buses there. Is that clear to you? Buses parked. There are 4,000 troops there. People come, they get on a bus, they get on a truck, they move on. Is that clear? Is that clear to the public?

Female reporter: Where do they move on...

Honore: That's not your business.

Male reporter: But General, that didn't work the first time...

Honore: Wait a minute. It didn't work the first time. This ain't the first time. Okay? If...we don't control Rita, you understand? So there are a lot of pieces of it that's going to be worked out. You got good public servants working through it. Let's get a little trust here, because you're starting to act like this is your problem. You are carrying the message, okay? What we're going to do is have the buses staged. The initial place is at the convention center. We're not going to announce other places at this time, until we get a plan set, and we'll let people know where those locations are, through the government, and through public announcements. Right now, to handle the number of people that want to leave, we've got the capacity. You will come to the convention center. There are soldiers there from the 82nd Airborne, and from the Louisiana National Guard. People will be told to get on the bus, and we will take care of them. And where they go will be dependent on the capacity in this state. We've got our communications up. And we'll tell them where to go. And when they get there, they'll be able to get a chance, an opportunity to get registered, and so they can let their families know where they are. But don't start panic here. Okay? We've got a location. It is in the front of the convention center, and that's where we will use to migrate people from it, into the system.

Male reporter: General Honore, we were told that Berman Stadium on the west bank would be another staging area...

Honore: Not to my knowledge. Again, the current place, I just told you one time, is the convention center. Once we complete the plan with the mayor, and is approved by the governor, then we'll start that in the next 12-24 hours. And we understand that there's a problem in getting communications out. That's where we need your help. But let's not confuse the questions with the answers. Buses at the convention center will move our citizens, for whom we have sworn that we will support and defend...and we'll move them on. Let's not get stuck on the last storm. You're asking last storm questions for people who are concerned about the future storm. Don't get stuck on stupid, reporters. We are moving forward. And don't confuse the people please. You are part of the public message. So help us get the message straight. And if you don't understand, maybe you'll confuse it to the people. That's why we like follow-up questions. But right now, it's the convention center, and move on.

Male reporter: General, a little bit more about why that's happening this time, though, and did not have that last time...

Honore: You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question. We are going to deal with Rita. This is public information that people are depending on the government to put out. This is the way we've got to do it. So please. I apologize to you, but let's talk about the future. Rita is happening. And right now, we need to get good, clean information out to the people that they can use. And we can have a conversation on the side about the past, in a couple of months.

I think the General just started a movement, and he may not even realize it. Every time a reporter, in any situation, starts spinning, or completely misses the point, they need to be peppered with, "Don't get stuck on stupid."

I'd pay money to see David Gregory in the White House Press Corps foaming at the mouth over something trivial Scott McClellan said, and have McClellan say, "David, you're stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that."

I'd have fallen out of my chair if John Roberts would have listened to Joe Biden ramble on, and said, "Don't get stuck on stupid, Senator."

I can see the bumper stickers now. I can even see those stupid rubber wristbands with DGSOS etched in them.

I love General Honore.

Posted at 3:42PM PST
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:42 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Man...I REALLY like General Honore. It was so immediately apparent that a John Wayne dude had arrived the SECOND he stepped into New Orleans. THis is a get results guy and a straight talker. I love people like that.

Don't get stuck on stupid. I love it.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:48 PM   #15
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

That is great. I think I'll use that next time I have a user with an eye dee ten tee error.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:04 PM   #16
LRB
Guru

LMAO dude that's some dang funny stuff. I'd pay money to see General Honore address the UN. It's about freaking time someone gave the MSM political tools, err a mean reporters, their comeupance. It's funny to see someone stop their political agenda's in mid spin and but a regulation US Army boot up their backsides and force them to do their job, reporting the news.